Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I try to be the politest, best sport imaginable using the Magic Arena emotes, but from reading forum posts people just project absolute malice into anything and everything sent through that system. It's really funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Something about Hearthstone emotes felt more annoying than anything anybody would say in chat of any game I've played.

Well I happen to have excellent news for you

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

Well I happen to have excellent news for you

Look at you thinking that me having to do that every game is acceptable instead of just having an option to turn it off.

Beartaco posted:

I try to be the politest, best sport imaginable using the Magic Arena emotes, but from reading forum posts people just project absolute malice into anything and everything sent through that system. It's really funny to me.

Was that a sarcastic good game? Are you saying it was a good game? Is this just a boilerplate sportsmanship good game? I can't tell so go gently caress yourself because that is the correct attitude to have on the internet.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 27, 2022

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Look at you thinking that me having to do that every game is acceptable instead of just having an option to turn it off.

Was that a sarcastic good game? Are you saying it was a good game? Is this just a boilerplate sportsmanship good game? I can't tell so go gently caress yourself because that is the correct attitude to have on the internet.

The disease is coming from within you my friend

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

The disease is coming from within you my friend

Adorable, first time on the internet? You'll learn.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Adorable, first time on the internet? You'll learn.

*teleports behind you*

Sorry kid, today you learn

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Duck and Cover posted:

Good Game is the big one. People inexplicably take that one to universally mean "Neener neener I win" rather than, I dunno, "This is/was a good match" like a normal human being would interpret it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Beartaco posted:

Good Game is the big one. People inexplicably take that one to universally mean "Neener neener I win" rather than, I dunno, "This is/was a good match" like a normal human being would interpret it.

IT WASN'T A GOOD GAME I LOST ALL MY COIN FLIPS GOD DAMNIT AND YOU KNOW THAT.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Beartaco posted:

people kept asking blizz to remove the "well played!" emote from hearthstone because people would just spam it whenever their opponent made a mistake etc

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

people kept asking blizz to remove the "well played!" emote from hearthstone because people would just spam it whenever their opponent made a mistake etc

Well played is still there, but they actually got rid of sorry for this reason.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I wouldn't mind a Sorry in Magic Arena. Sometimes things obviously don't go well for an opponent and I want to empathize.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
i don't play a lot of competitive multiplayer things but I personally get really annoyed when someone is probably going to win and says "gg" before the game is actually over, while you still technically have a chance of winning. It's like they're saying "we both already know i've won" which always comes across to me as super rude and gloating.

imo the correct protocol is for the loser to say "gg" first, and for the winner to respond in kind. If you're the winner and you really wanna say "gg" anyway you should probably tack on a "wp".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Redezga posted:

I played the first three Saints Row games back to back to back over the space of about 2-3 months in anticipation of the fourth game getting released, and I was so deep in hype by the time it came out because the scenario kept escalating that I genuinely consider Saints Row IV my favourite. Never played Gat out of Hell though and feel like I missed the window for me to really appreciate it now.

Agents of Mayhem seems like such a nothing game that no amount of discounting makes it tempting to try, so I was sort of looking at this reboot as an entryway back into the series.

Gat Out of Hell was very good. Gameplay-wise, it's the best of the series (with the possible exception of the new one, which I haven't played and therefore can't judge). Overall, I like Saints Row 2 much better, but it's no secret that it's pretty rough in a lot of ways.

I have played some of Agents of Mayhem but couldn't get into it. It just throws way too much stuff at you way too quickly. Switching between characters on the fly seems like a cool idea, but the control schemes for each character seemed to be very inconsistent and I couldn't keep track of which button does what, when, let alone all the various points and upgrades. It also seemed to be weirdly connected-to but disconnected-from the Saints Row series. There are a ton of obvious references but it's not clear why or what relevance they have.

I'd like to try the new Saints Row, but it not being on Steam or GOG is pretty off-putting. I just don't want to sign up for another account and install another lovely game library thing.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Gat Out of Hell was very good. Gameplay-wise, it's the best of the series (with the possible exception of the new one, which I haven't played and therefore can't judge). Overall, I like Saints Row 2 much better, but it's no secret that it's pretty rough in a lot of ways.

I have played some of Agents of Mayhem but couldn't get into it. It just throws way too much stuff at you way too quickly. Switching between characters on the fly seems like a cool idea, but the control schemes for each character seemed to be very inconsistent and I couldn't keep track of which button does what, when, let alone all the various points and upgrades. It also seemed to be weirdly connected-to but disconnected-from the Saints Row series. There are a ton of obvious references but it's not clear why or what relevance they have.

I'd like to try the new Saints Row, but it not being on Steam or GOG is pretty off-putting. I just don't want to sign up for another account and install another lovely game library thing.

I'm not even complaining about it but I feel like a lot of those rough edges in 1 and 2 were passable simply because the game didn't punish you for dying or getting arrested. I know cheat codes existed but I never really understood why GTA games would take away all your stuff when most of it was purchasable at an Ammunation store anyway. The whole appeal of Saints Row in those first few games seemed to be that it facilitated all this stuff you would want to do in a game like that without consequence, so eventually becoming president and then developing super powers in the later games made perfect sense.

The new game has sort of raised some of my interest in revisiting 3/4/Gat though, so if I can get them cheap enough I will. Heck, I'll probably get the new one eventually when it gets discounted enough.

I was listening to the GTA4 soundtrack yesterday though (a time capsule of music at the time in retrospect) and I wish I could find a clear answer as to how stable it is on a Windows 10 PC these days. I don't care about modding but the impression I get is around release it was rough on PC and would have had to be rescued by the work of fans ala Saints Row 2. The lack of ports outside of the systems it was initially released on also tell me Rockstar just don't really care about it all or feel it would be too much effort.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

DontMockMySmock posted:

i don't play a lot of competitive multiplayer things but I personally get really annoyed when someone is probably going to win and says "gg" before the game is actually over, while you still technically have a chance of winning. It's like they're saying "we both already know i've won" which always comes across to me as super rude and gloating.

imo the correct protocol is for the loser to say "gg" first, and for the winner to respond in kind. If you're the winner and you really wanna say "gg" anyway you should probably tack on a "wp".

I use "Good Game" simply because I think we're having a good match. You don't need to look into it any more than that.

e: I think 'gg' is something different, however.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Beartaco posted:

I use "Good Game" simply because I think we're having a good match. You don't need to look into it any more than that.

e: I think 'gg' is something different, however.

If you said “Good Game” during a match I would assume 100% of the time that you mean it as trash talk, even though it theoretically could mean the other nicer thing.

I usually say “this is a close one!” or something if I want to express how exciting a match is while it’s still in progress.

It feels really good to beat someone after they’ve prematurely called “gg”

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I try to be nice in video games :unsmith:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

99% of the time gg or good game means just that. even if the game was average it's generally seen as polite to gg at the end anyway.

you guys are mental

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Unpopular Videogame Opinions: you guys are mental

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

gamers gg like this, casuals gg like that

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
people who flip the gently caress out every time they lose and call me gamer words are the best people to beat. Its been over a decade but the feeling when you get called a racial slur in a PM by a guy you dominated 6 kills to 0 makes me feel so warm in my belly, like a cup of sleepytime tea by a fire.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DontMockMySmock posted:

I have the opposite reaction, it makes me grin like an rear end in a top hat because most of my lol matches ended up with us winning from behind due to extreme late game comp.

It makes the victory feel extra satisfying

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I dont get much joy out of people getting mad anymore, it's just sad and tiring.

I do wonder about those people though, especially in games like battle royales. 100 person game, only 1 winner. You have a straight up 99 percent hance of losing from the word go. Why would you play a game with odds like that if losing spikes your blood pressure to bear stroke levels?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

opponent: "gg"

me, thinking: "gg? what the gently caress does he mean by that? is this motherfucker trying to insult me? that game wasn't good! rraaaghghbrgbrgb!"

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I do wonder about those people though, especially in games like battle royales. 100 person game, only 1 winner. You have a straight up 99 percent hance of losing from the word go. Why would you play a game with odds like that if losing spikes your blood pressure to bear stroke levels?

Duo, peaked at 20%, stabilized at 18% :smug:
Edit: There was a duo higher than us at 22% and then a duo at 40%, which really made us go "what the gently caress".

You don't actually have a 99% chance of losing if you want to win. Most people in these games die extremely fast by jumping at the most popular hotspots which I don't get because the queues are longer than the playtimes. From the get go if you just go to a quiet spot you're gonna have to deal with 60%-70% of the people who started. When I played PUBG we usually had to kill 2 to 5 duos per game. With Apex it was 3 to 5 teams.

People who play to get max KDA and not to win don't really feel anything when they lose, it's like dying in a CS:GO Deathmatch except with long queue times. A lot of players are not really playing to win.

As for me, the blood pressure spike was loving exciting, 4 out of 5 times we made to the very end and the rush of being right there against another player or duo was one of the best highs I ever had playing games.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I dont get much joy out of people getting mad anymore, it's just sad and tiring.

In the case of Fortnite most people actually aren't very good and I'd estimate at least a 1/3 to 1/2 will wipe each other out in in the first five minutes just landing on the map and searching around buildings for weapons and items. That alone can be easily avoided by dropping somewhere quieter, but even if you didn't do that getting into the top 20 or so is way more common than one might think with those 1 in 100 odds. I believe a lot of those games allow you to play in small teams too.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I didn't enjoy Fortnite but every BR I played (mostly Apex and PUBG but also Battle Royale while it lasted) had the same pattern

Go to a place that isn't a hotspot, en route to a place that is low to mid population.

Kill anyone who drops there with you. This is not typically hard, players try-harding to win will often go to the same places, so if you die to a team that has an extremely high elo map where they drop. If you kill them, they'll probably do the same and avoid that place during that time zone. Players who aren't good and have less experience with the environment will die to you there.

These places are also the easiest to master because you can apply CS rules that have nothing to do with twitch reflexes; preshoot, listen to sound cues, over matches you learn routes that people take, it becomes very easy to ambush them or just preshoot at the right pixels where their heads will show up.

Then you go to a place with low to mid population, there's usually 0 to 1 person/team there, the king of the hill. Ideally you kill them for loot since they'll have all the loot of an entire area from killing other players and by then you have all max rank gear in apex or tier 3 poo poo in PUBG.

Afterwards it's a matter of, if the game allows you, find the safest routes, memorizing routes with the best covers, and figuring out when it's best to be on offensive. If there are three teams shooting at each other and you can kill the one closest to you from behind then move the other way, that entire area will still be on the lookout for the teams around the area you just left; they might think one of them killed each other, in either case they'll not be on the lookout for you if you were stealthy enough. You can leave and circle around the other direction and figure out whether to go closer to the goal or to stay on the peripheries.

By then you might have to kill one or two teams left. Ideally you let them kill each other first, otherwise if that's not an option you try to get the best spot ahead of time and hold it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

99% of the time gg or good game means just that. even if the game was average it's generally seen as polite to gg at the end anyway.

you guys are mental

Offensive gg is real. Not all gg's are the same! There are basically three scenarios:

1) The game is over. Either player can say it and it's polite.

2) The game is not over, but the losing player says gg first. It's polite.

3) The game is not over, the player who thinks they are winning says gg without any signal from the other player. It's rude.

So really the only significant etiquette rule is that if the game is not over you should only say gg if you're the one about the surrender. Otherwise it's generally polite.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Getting upset over a gg is weak behaviour and you're probably letting a 19 year old get inside your head and upset you, which is very unbecoming for a 38 year old IT manager goon

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Personally as someone who tends to play battle royale games solo, winning is probably the least compelling part of those games as well. I find most of the fun comes from the variety of the encounters and using the tools and environments to creatively close/increase the gap between any potential competition. Vehicles are fun too. Fortnite has monster trucks and ufos and being Goku, lol. Sometimes I'll just find a vehicle and whip around the island rolling over other players too distracted by each other to notice me tearing up behind them to Tokyo drift them to death just before losing control and driving into a lake.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
playing battle royales to win is possibly the worst loving videogame experience on earth
yes let me drop in the middle of nowhere and spend 20 minutes running around a barren wasteland looting chests just to get in a single 10 second shootout in the top 5-10 players and do it all over again

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You only need to loot chests in the early game same as if you drop in a hotspot.

Afterwards you go after the other teams and kill them for the loot that every other king of the hill team has.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

There are two secrets for winning at Fortnite.

1) Turn on the loving sound visualizer.
2) Play like a goddamn coward.

You'll come in top ten almost every game if you do this.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Elentor posted:

You only need to loot chests in the early game same as if you drop in a hotspot.

Afterwards you go after the other teams and kill them for the loot that every other king of the hill team has.

Fighting is fun but every fight you get in reduces your % chance of winning overall, unless there's such a huge skill disparity that the other players have like a sub-5% chance to beat you

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Fortnite isn't even a competitive game. It's a hang out zone for people who want to play fishing minigames or watch full episodes of Dragon Ball Super with their friends.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 27, 2022

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Fortnite is a game for people who want to listen to the latest pop music before it hits the radio while doing quests relating to the upcoming marvel movie.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Fortnite is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there. In Fortnite you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the Fortnite motto, for example, that's how laid back it is there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to hang out with friends.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Half of Fortnite is straight up Roblox where you're playing weird cops and robbers tower defense maps designed by 12 year olds.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Beartaco posted:

Half of Fortnite is straight up Roblox where you're playing weird cops and robbers tower defense maps designed by 12 year olds.

Does anyone actually play Fornite's original mode? I figured it was just a vestigial title at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Meme Poker Party posted:

Does anyone actually play Fornite's original mode? I figured it was just a vestigial title at this point.

I'm certain some literal child re-built the original Fortnite using the engine and is currently making bank off of it.