Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

even most tories aren't proper sickos,

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

lol so do you think they’ll let Scotland have another referendum after all this?

I mean the issue is that the EU is just as screwed.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Do yours play at farmer the same way ours do? That seems really familiar.

i actually don't think so! parachuting party loyals into safe districts is very common in the UK whereas it's not in the US and i assume canada is similar. i looked up a few random-rear end rural MPs and they're all city of london investment banker parasites, whereas if you looked at saskatchewan politicians they're ridin' the combine

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

i say swears online posted:

i actually don't think so! parachuting party loyals into safe districts is very common in the UK whereas it's not in the US and i assume canada is similar. i looked up a few random-rear end rural MPs and they're all city of london investment banker parasites, whereas if you looked at saskatchewan politicians they're ridin' the combine

drat. I thought they would at least pretend not to be from the city. That’s crazy that turnip farmers (?) in Kent still turn out for them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is there a single constituency in the UK where farms outnumber bed-and-breakfasts?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the tory core constituency is basically "person who owns something of value". the leadership and lots of MPs are bug people who all went to school and uni together for 15 years, and that same set makes up the commanding heights of british culture, business and to a certain extent the civil service, including the security services. basically there's a huge chunk of pretty ordinary people who have hitched their wagons to this brood of traumatised rich kids and that is the biggest political bloc in britain.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah i wonder exactly how many people in the conservatives are rich purely through agriculture and it's probably near zero

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that text about why starmer can never show courage or do anything because this time the tories will really gently caress everything up and show people that they're not fit to govern is the saddest poo poo I've ever seen

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Are any of the virtues of the whole Floreat Etona worldview still around?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

i thought that was regarded as an 'end of an era' battle beacuse it was the last time colors were carried on the battlefield

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Frosted Flake posted:

It's not driving our rich psychos to die in the fields of Flanders or some jungle somewhere any more so I'd say no

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

i say swears online posted:

i thought that was regarded as an 'end of an era' battle beacuse it was the last time colors were carried on the battlefield

True, but I meant more

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

It's not driving our rich psychos to die in the fields of Flanders or some jungle somewhere any more so I'd say no

The only British officers I’ve met seem to have gone to Sandhurst, so I guess your rich psychos have all gone into banking instead. It’s really the worst outcome - they have the same connections and will to power, need to dominate, but without being killed in the process. Maybe introducing malaria and dengue fever to those London office buildings?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

while they don't consistently get killed like officers they can probably die easier as a whole in ways in which i will not elaborate

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Frosted Flake posted:

True, but I meant more

The only British officers I’ve met seem to have gone to Sandhurst, so I guess your rich psychos have all gone into banking instead. It’s really the worst outcome - they have the same connections and will to power, need to dominate, but without being killed in the process. Maybe introducing malaria and dengue fever to those London office buildings?

Sandhurst is the British equivalent of West Point (except West Point is also a university, where as Eton is a private high school. So Princes William & Henry went to Eton where they got poo poo results and then went to the military academy

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I present for your approval: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._Jones

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
There's no point Scotland going for a new referendum unless/ until they're consistently polling at 60/ 40 in favour of independence. If they lose 2 referendums in close succession, it'll kill off the idea for decades.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
that's what happened in quebec, and frankly i feel like a lot of governments learned from that lesson - it got closer the second time, much closer, so it never happened again

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
framing in the papers is intersting today - first, the shittier papers are all framing it like "households could lose savings", which i mean they definitely w9ill n the way to being unable to pay and freezing to death. also consistently they're claiming pricing will correct in 2024, which is strange because of how well ukraine is doing and how that offensive coming soon will kick all the russians out

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Demand will decrease by 2024 because people will have disassembled their boilers and used the parts to fashion makeshift chimneys so they can keep themselves warm by burning the floorboards

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
oh, speaking of, remembering fondly a former anarchist friend of mine who made this argument almost word for word in april, lol

"no, russia is a petrostate and we are still desperate for the key critical resource they sell, that's why the rouble recovered" was described as "putin's illegal financial trickery magic" and would end aaaaaany day now.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Well yes, the framing of it does make me smile a little.

*UK halts all gas imports from Russia*

"These are Putin's price rises!!!!!!"

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i receive: increased energy prices
you receive: 13,000 (?) valiant deaths

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pistol_Pete posted:

Well yes, the framing of it does make me smile a little.

*UK halts all gas imports from Russia*

"These are Putin's price rises!!!!!!"

we must support ukraine no matter the cost, to the bitter end. also, for no reason, we expect gas prices to normalize within two years.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Sandhurst is the British equivalent of West Point (except West Point is also a university, where as Eton is a private high school. So Princes William & Henry went to Eton where they got poo poo results and then went to the military academy

Please can you close your parenthesis, TIA

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

the white hand posted:

i receive: increased energy prices
you receive: 13,000 (?) valiant deaths

can't think of a more iconic duo than the UK and funding death

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

CoolCab posted:

that's what happened in quebec, and frankly i feel like a lot of governments learned from that lesson - it got closer the second time, much closer, so it never happened again

i think the big difference here is that not only does Scotland want to leave the uk, but they want to join the eu, and that's only possible if they leave the uk. it's a clear choice of aligning with london or aligning with brussels and that's an easier sell than quebec independence in a continent full of anglos.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

RealityWarCriminal posted:

i think the big difference here is that not only does Scotland want to leave the uk, but they want to join the eu, and that's only possible if they leave the uk. it's a clear choice of aligning with london or aligning with brussels and that's an easier sell than quebec independence in a continent full of anglos.

It's also not really a choice that exists in the real world. Getting Scotland into the EU would be a lot of effort and diplomacy, all of which are in short supply.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

i mean quebec is afaik borderline land locked, at least scotland has a bunch of maritime connections to other parts of europe. a lot of scottish people think entry will be a cakewalk and basically instantaneous, which was funny enough another thing i heard about ukraine a lot.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

CoolCab posted:

i mean quebec is afaik borderline land locked, at least scotland has a bunch of maritime connections to other parts of europe. a lot of scottish people think entry will be a cakewalk and basically instantaneous, which was funny enough another thing i heard about ukraine a lot.

Pretty sure Spain will have an interest in blocking EU entry for them. Catalonia cant get any ideas

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
quick entry for ukraine was never going to happen while it was under threat of invasion, no one actually wants to be forced to protect her. scotland was already a member of the eu through the uk so it would be a lot easier to rejoin.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

quick entry for ukraine was never going to happen while it was under threat of invasion, no one actually wants to be forced to protect her. scotland was already a member of the eu through the uk so it would be a lot easier to rejoin.

you're kind of thinking too macro. it's maybe in the EU's interest but you need literal unanimous consent and that always involves a loving ton of backdoor shenanigans. that's a big part of why it takes so long to join and imo why some places who have been trying to get in for years aren't really close. the best case scenario in my opinion is a relatively fast tracked process largely like you say on the basis they're former members but it will still take years. likewise, if the invasion ended tomorrow i'd guess like a decade or maybe never for ukraine tbh.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
in theory in the event of independence they could negotiate some kind of treaty with the EU to restore certain trade and maybe freedoms in the interim while pursing membership, i think that's easier to go through than full membership? that would involve a land border with the EU at longtown and berwick, a border extremely integrated (abet nowhere near as much as ireland) though so how that would work would be a big question mark.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well he died alright, but it says his parents were a nurse and an artist not a baroness and a viscount.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

CoolCab posted:

out of curiosity i was like hrm what was the highest ranking officer who died in the falklands, 255 people so maybe idk a captian? nope, a Lieutenant colonel somehow, oh i bet he died in an incredibly loving stupid way, and yup!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Looking forward to January when we sell the Malvinas to Argentina for a Jerry can full of crude oil

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The system works. My faith in Eton had been restored.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

CoolCab posted:

You may want to quickly check a map of Quebec.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

forkboy84 posted:

Looking forward to January when we sell the Malvinas to Argentina for a Jerry can full of crude oil

Can't believe Jeremy Corbyn would do this !!!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
England: The EU can't afford us leaving.
Scotland: The EU can't afford to not let us in.

Nuclear War posted:

Pretty sure Spain will have an interest in blocking EU entry for them. Catalonia cant get any ideas
They okayed an independent Scotland that left with the consent of London, because that can't be a precedent for an independent Catalonia. Obviously it depends on the political situation when Scotland actually attempts to join, but it's not off the table just because of Spain. Not like other countries can't lean on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Crow Buddy posted:

You may want to quickly check a map of Quebec.

it's been a long time since i've been back to canada, lol.