Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Everybody's favorite comic (to argue about) is back, baby!

Blind Alley

And here's a recap I wrote for another thread for the people who were complaining that they had no idea what was going on:

readingatwork posted:

So to recap for those completely lost, there is a town somewhere called Blind Alley where a bunch of kid's hang out and talk about nothing in particular while learning important lessons about bullying and such. Most of the comics are like this one but there are lots of weird details hinting that there's more happening under the surface. Some of these weird details include:

1) A mysterious figure living in the sewers
2) One of the kid's remembering another character's name as once being "Betty" but for some reason isn't able to put his finger on when such a change may have happened nor can anybody remember her ever using that name
3) One of the kids having dreams that hint at some sort of great tragedy/rebirth to come. She hangs out with another kid who can speak to trees or something.
4) The town being full of cameras disguised as birds.
5) The hobo kid carrying what appears to be a Great Old One in his sack.
6) The baby having psychic powers.
7) A can on a string in a back yard somewhere where if you listen to it you hear gibberish.
8) One of the kids being able to do real magic when trying to do fake stage magic.
9) One kid having no idea what a cat is.
10) Large chunks of the town being in dilapidated or in a state of disrepair.

As far as actual plot it's pretty vague but so far the major events are that a hobo kid gets a letter from a bird and based on it's contents decides to head to Blind Alley. Meanwhile in Blind Alley the neighborhood dog and best friend of the kid with the skull mask leaves town in shame after ruining a card game while chasing a stick. The computer nerd kid discovers the bird cameras and starts collecting them from around town. He discovers something shocking through his research but his laptop is stolen by an unknown actor before he can learn more. Meanwhile the dog runs into the hobo kid, sees the great old one in his satchel and books it. The great old one and hobo kid give chase realizing that the dog may know the way to Blind Alley but the chase is interrupted by mysterious creatures who chase both parties. They reach a cliff and hobo kid drops his sack on a stick which the dog fetches on instinct causing him to jump into the chasm and possibly (but probably not) killing him. Good job hobo kid.

And that's kind of where we left off. The dog is probably dead, the skull kid is sad the dog is missing, the hippie twins are still having ominous dreams, and the computer kid is freaking out over his missing computer.

Got that? Good, you are now qualified to read Blind Alley. Use this power wisely.

E: Here's the cast page to remind you of who everybody is:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

I recognize Ness, Charlie brown, Pikachu and Jack frost. Not the most ambitious crossover but it has potential.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

so, bit puzzled re: seth's appearance. one of the nephilim thinks abel's in a coma, and another one thinks seth's in a coma. not sure what's going on there but i think it is indeed seth who is in a coma and is in nommo's dream

If I recall correctly when this strip was originally posted it was Nommo's own face that popped out, not Seth's. Even being caught up with the story at the present time I'm still not sure what the implications of Seth instead of Nommo are, or what Jesse Moynihan meant by the change, or if we're even supposed to know yet. I wonder if the original version of the page is still floating around online somewhere, though.

Seconding the enthusiasm, looking forward to seeing more of this.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fyadophobic posted:

Seconding the enthusiasm, looking forward to seeing more of this.

It's been posted in another thread and it's real good y'all.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Fyadophobic posted:

I wonder if the original version of the page is still floating around online somewhere, though.

If you go to the website it has both versions on the same page

I also have no idea what Seth being here means.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

You can tell Moynihan was one of the two guys on AT (the other being Tom Herpich) responsible for Lemongrab

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

New format, somewhere in between a manwha and a western comic.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Continuing to enjoy this journey through the faces of Ronnie

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I dreamed I saw phil ochs last night, alive as you or me. says I to phil I can assume it's hell is full you're here to see

The little submarine is one of two that never fails to get a laugh out of me

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

readingatwork posted:

Everybody's favorite comic (to argue about) is back, baby!

Blind Alley

And here's a recap I wrote for another thread for the people who were complaining that they had no idea what was going on:

wait a second this is just Youngtown from Mother 1 expanded into a full story

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

some plague rats posted:

The little submarine is one of two that never fails to get a laugh out of me

What? You some kind of sea turtle hating rear end in a top hat or something?!

Same, I always forget about it but it's one of my favorites whenever I see it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Why do people like to argue about Blind Alley? I don’t read the other comics thread

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

That's some good good anger. Palpable

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

What? You some kind of sea turtle hating rear end in a top hat or something?!

Same, I always forget about it but it's one of my favorites whenever I see it

That's right, I am! That's why I'm wearing this big foam finger! I wasn't fooled for a second, I just hate sea turtles!

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Todd brings street justice with a mentholated toothpick and a strong buzz

The Fugue really is a bit of a showman.

No, I don't know who any of these characters are. I took some screenshots at Keenspot.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

e-dt posted:

No, I don't know who any of these characters are. I took some screenshots at Keenspot.

does it help if i tell you the cat is from a conservative furry's incest comic

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mx. posted:

Not really, no.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Mx. posted:

it helps a lot thank you

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

it's also deeply racist and involves underage characters in adult situations

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

e-dt posted:

Pretty sure the Faerie Airalea there is Otra from Jackie Lesnick's webcomic Girly. I think she used to post on SA as... Superhappy? Anyway, I think she runs Slipshine now.

Edit: Holy poo poo, Keenspot's website has not changed in like 20 years. Still being updated, too.

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 04:42 on Aug 27, 2022

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
from the waffleimages archive

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

thetoughestbean posted:

Why do people like to argue about Blind Alley? I don’t read the other comics thread

There’s a bit of a split between people that like it and people who don’t get it at all and like to dunk on it sometimes. It’s not actually all that intense of a disagreement but I find it amusing.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I personally don't think blind alley is real and the guy who posted it made it up on the spot.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

rodbeard posted:

I personally don't think blind alley is real and the guy who posted it made it up on the spot.

Yeah his explanation of the plot definitely sounds like a seven year old trying to describe calvin and hobbes after only reading the snowman ones

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Oh no, ulterior motives! Sort of! Also check out poor Pakiri and Yasmidia hanging out with that accented thief from Team Spelt in the first page of this update.

Bonus pages:

In this update, Yoshida confronts the most dangerous enemy of all.

Episode 9.5: The Untold Story in Ep. 9's Party

loving gacha, it's insidious. I do get a little chuckle out of "Anus Smasher", though. The thought that someone in real life not only managed to acquire such an epithet but also that it found its way into written record to come down to us... well, I think it's funny. I hope there's some kind of Thorin Oakenshield story behind it.

Bonus pages:

Oh, Anus Smasher is a rare pull, how about that.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

forming
205-210

last time: the piss cannons; Noman appears to have the face of another

archangels all honk. it's their thing

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

second favourite comic angels, up there with k6bd

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Emzedoh posted:

In this update, Yoshida confronts the most dangerous enemy of all.

Episode 9.5: The Untold Story in Ep. 9's Party

loving gacha, it's insidious. I do get a little chuckle out of "Anus Smasher", though. The thought that someone in real life not only managed to acquire such an epithet but also that it found its way into written record to come down to us... well, I think it's funny. I hope there's some kind of Thorin Oakenshield story behind it.

Bonus pages:

Oh, Anus Smasher is a rare pull, how about that.
Yeah I smash rear end

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Can't remember if Enoch is the patriarch that turned into an angel but it's pretty confusing that Noah is apparently based in Atlantis instead of the Near East where the rest of the story and his biblical forefather, Seth, is in the comic.

Like the angel beings are his forefathers but you also had humans running around and I'm thinking way too hard about this

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

And that was the birth of Sozruquo! Tomorrow I'll start posting the story of Alimbeg's Daughter. With no son to represent them on the Nart Council Alimbeg's family will be shamed! It's up to Alimbeg's Daughter to redeem them. This one's a little longer at 16 pages so I will post 4 pages per day.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

When Lyndon first explained how pacifist magic worked, I thought he meant that killing anyone with his spells took away his ability to do the magic at all, so I thought that first death from his magic was a way bigger deal than it turned out to be

In Dungeons and Dragons terms, seems like a mix of Vancian magic and Paladin Code kind of rules, where there's both intellectual and spiritual elements.

I've said before a lot of Thorsby stuff has old school adventure game vibes, with very specific tools and plot devices.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Forgotten Realms: Three's Company

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

Hempuli posted:

A Princess Bride 1
A Princess Bride 2
A Princess Bride 3
A Princess Bride 4
A Princess Bride 5

A Princess Bride 6

A Princess Bride 7

A Princess Bride 8

:allears:

Talking character deaths: 15
Deaths altogether: 51+
Certified Lyndon Painatorium moments: 2 (+2 Illusion mishaps)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

And that was the birth of Sozruquo! Tomorrow I'll start posting the story of Alimbeg's Daughter. With no son to represent them on the Nart Council Alimbeg's family will be shamed! It's up to Alimbeg's Daughter to redeem them. This one's a little longer at 16 pages so I will post 4 pages per day.

This owns, I am a huge sucker for these sorts of more modern retellings/reframings of old mythologies. It's also cool to see just how old/widespread the general theme of "somebody is bathed in a liquid for something, but that liquid didn't reach every place" is in mythologies. :allears:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

This is a good font and size for reading on a phone imo.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

God-DAMNIT, Lyndon!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I know we all like Audrey here, but you gotta keep it in check, man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

That's one hell of a way to dodge a backhand...