Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I am SHOCKED a man born in 1942 doesnt like rap music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Lampsacus posted:

-i think one of the main reasons I enjoy the GD is you can click on a live recording and just know the next two hours are going to be taken care of.

1995 would like to have a word with you

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Couch tour'd this weekend -

My buddy went to Boulder for both Dead & Co shows and yesterday facetime'd me as he smoked a j and walked across the venue's campus. Helped me feel like I was there.

I really, really dig Foolish Heart and I'm happy to see it debuted last night. Those are two of the strongest shows I can remember from them in quite some time.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
This matrix of the June 20, 1980 show in Anchorage is great, in terms of sound and performances. I even didn’t skip Easy To Love You on this show!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

trem_two posted:

This matrix of the June 20, 1980 show in Anchorage is great, in terms of sound and performances. I even didn’t skip Easy To Love You on this show!

God I love reading stories from the Alaska trip. I just generally love it when bands go to faraway places.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Welp - Billy sat out set two last night due to a pulled muscle and Jay Lane sat in. Confirmed that Jay Lane is on retainer and just hanging out with them for the whole tour

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Over the course of the summer Dead and Co slowly morph into Sausage.

Or, Oteil picks up an electric upright and they become Ratdog and Co, and nobody is happy.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 23, 2022

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

BigFactory posted:

Over the course of the summer Dead and Co slowly morph into Sausage.

Ha, I was thinking the same. Can you imagine them playing Riddles Are Abound Tonight

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best

trem_two posted:

algebra testes posted:

God I love reading stories from the Alaska trip. I just generally love it when bands go to faraway places.

Great recommendation for the Alaska shows. All three are great and each show is slightly better than the previous night.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
This week in 1974 was a great one for fans of the Grateful Dead's bassist Phil Lesh's experimental performances with their modular synth playing compatriot Ned Lagin

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

They get a modular synth involved?? I have to hear this!

I've been enjoying cover band Grateful Shred on YouTube lately because of their simple, smooth vocal harmonies. Does anybody else have a good cover band to recommend? :)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Lampsacus posted:

They get a modular synth involved?? I have to hear this!

I don’t know that Ned ever played a synth during dead sets but he sat in on keys sometimes. His synth/electronic music was during set break. I could be wrong about that

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

I don’t know that Ned ever played a synth during dead sets but he sat in on keys sometimes. His synth/electronic music was during set break. I could be wrong about that

Right, yeah, I was joking about the Seastones performances he and Phil played during set breaks in late June 74. Those shows are all rad.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

trem_two posted:

Right, yeah, I was joking about the Seastones performances he and Phil played during set breaks in late June 74. Those shows are all rad.

74 shows rock

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

BigFactory posted:

Posting to remind myself to find this, but there was a 74 show I listened to that had Ned sitting in and dropping some serious drones and low frequencies during a TOO.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Noise Machine posted:

Posting to remind myself to find this, but there was a 74 show I listened to that had Ned sitting in and dropping some serious drones and low frequencies during a TOO.

From The NedBase:

June 23, 1974 - Ned played on "jam" > "Ship of Fools", "Black Peter", "Around and Around", "Dark Star" jam > "Spanish Jam" > "U.S. Blues".
September 11, 1974 - Ned played on "Space" > jam > "Space" > "Eyes of the World" > "Stronger Than Dirt" > "Space" > "Wharf Rat"
September 21, 1974 - Ned played on "Playing in the Band" > "Drums" > "Playing in the Band"
October 16, 1974 - Ned played on "Space" jam > "Wharf Rat" > "Space" > "Eyes of the World"
October 18, 1974 - Ned played on > jam > "Dark Star" > "Morning Dew"
October 20, 1974 - Ned played on "Playing in the Band" > "Drums" > "Not Fade Away" > "Drums" > "The Other One" > "Wharf Rat" > "Playing in the Band", "Eyes of the World" > (partially on "Slipknot" > "Stella Blue", "Sugar Magnolia", "Johnny B. Goode" > Mississippi Half Step Uptown Toodeloo" > "And We Bid You Goodnight"

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

I've been enjoying cover band Grateful Shred on YouTube lately because of their simple, smooth vocal harmonies. Does anybody else have a good cover band to recommend? :)

if you get a chance to see them definitely do it. The harmonies sound even better live and, at least a couple years ago, they’d play small-to-medium sized clubs which is imo the best type of venue for rock music

No other strong recs but I read that Dave Longstreth’s (of the dirty projectors) brother is/was in a dead cover band. Searched and found this channel, has a set from the Hollywood bowl. Pretty dece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPq7yc7JZyA

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Went to the Hartford Dead & Co show - while I'm pissed that I left with a 4 hour buffer before the show I didn't get to my seat until 8:30 and I missed the first 2.5 songs, that second set absolutely made up for it. Jack Straw all the way to D/S was spectacular and full of good moments. Jay Lane really seems to be getting comfortable in this band now.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Noise Machine posted:

Went to the Hartford Dead & Co show - while I'm pissed that I left with a 4 hour buffer before the show I didn't get to my seat until 8:30 and I missed the first 2.5 songs, that second set absolutely made up for it. Jack Straw all the way to D/S was spectacular and full of good moments. Jay Lane really seems to be getting comfortable in this band now.

I watched streams of both shows last weekend, they were definitely playing at much higher tempos with Jay compared to when I saw them with Bill in the chair a couple weeks ago.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
The Crimson White & Indigo show today in 1989 is a great one. Killer versions of Loser, Let It Grow, Scarlet/Fire, Estimated Prophet, The Other One > Wharf Rat. I am still a novice on stuff past 1982, but this is a great show. I've come to really appreciate Brent on keys but still don't care for his songs/lead vocals, but this Blow Away is so ludicrously unhinged, I dig it (Jerry solos his rear end off on it too tbh).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHU5FywUBEk

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Found a hot show on this day in 82, with a nicely mixed matrix to boot - https://youtu.be/EWs1Eq8EuUc

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Noise Machine posted:

Found a hot show on this day in 82, with a nicely mixed matrix to boot - https://youtu.be/EWs1Eq8EuUc

This recent run from 82 was really good. I enjoyed the Saint Paul and Alpine Valley shows a lot.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
John and Bobby did a pretty good acoustic show at Pine Creek Lodge. There's some shaky YouTube video or you can get the show on nugs. Setlist was:

Friend of the Devil
Bertha
Loser
Brown-Eyed Women
El Paso
Cassidy
Bird Song
Uncle John's Band
Jack Straw
Deal
Terrapin Station >
Eyes of the World >
Not Fade Away

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
The shows yesterday and today in 1971 in Berkeley were really nice, the 8/15 one in particular has a great 2nd set (Truckin' -> Drums -> The Other One -> Me And My Uncle -> The Other One -> Wharf Rat). Seems like it would be viable for them to package up both of them into an official release.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

trem_two posted:

The shows yesterday and today in 1971 in Berkeley were really nice, the 8/15 one in particular has a great 2nd set (Truckin' -> Drums -> The Other One -> Me And My Uncle -> The Other One -> Wharf Rat). Seems like it would be viable for them to package up both of them into an official release.

I'll have to check these out. As it is, I've sort of been following along with 72 in real time, given that they've only really played a handful of times since the European tour ended. These shows feel like a hangover from that - now with Pigpen fully gone from the band - even with a few new songs in their repertoire. 'Bird Song' starts to get into rotation. In July, just 2 shows removed from Europe, they introduce 'Mississippi Half-Step' and give a nod to where the band is headed. These shows are fine, but I don't think the band really comes together again until the Veneta show, up there with Cornell as shows that serve as the best gateway drug into the band. From there I seem to remember it's a hot hot September.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Today's 72 show is good-but-not-great for me, although I can't tell if the lack of a truly good source is the cause for my lack of complete enthusiasm. The best SBD version does improve a lot for the 2nd set and Truckin' -> Drums -> TOO -> Stella Blue is a very nice run. TOO alone is worth the listen, with the improv getting really frenzied before coalescing into a jazzy melodic jam that's a nice showcase for Keith (although a jarring 2 minute AUD patch when the vocals start is a bummer).

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Ok now, today's 72 show: holy poo poo. An all timer PITB, Jerry and Keith are just on fire with incredible rapid fire jamming that never falls apart. Dark Star is a top shelf 72 version as well, at one point the band starts launching into Morning Dew but Phil keeps bombing all over it to the point where they go back into another frenzied Keith-driven jam. Sweet sounding board that does justice to every member of the band, only issue is a cut that chops a verse out of Casey Jones.

They're essentially operating at the same levels that they did a week later at Veneta.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

The vocals on 2/28/73 (the back half of Dick's Picks 28) are absolutely locked in, it's insane.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

trem_two posted:

Ok now, today's 72 show: holy poo poo. An all timer PITB, Jerry and Keith are just on fire with incredible rapid fire jamming that never falls apart. Dark Star is a top shelf 72 version as well, at one point the band starts launching into Morning Dew but Phil keeps bombing all over it to the point where they go back into another frenzied Keith-driven jam. Sweet sounding board that does justice to every member of the band, only issue is a cut that chops a verse out of Casey Jones.

They're essentially operating at the same levels that they did a week later at Veneta.

Likewise, the double bill of today and yesterday's Berkley shows aren't to be missed. Any dust has been blown off and you'll find people saying that the show from the 24th is as good as Veneta if not better. I don't know if I agree with that, only because like everyone else I'm probably more familiar with the more famous one. But I definitely want to add the 24th to the rotation.

Vocally I think we're edging into the best they've ever sounded. 'He's Gone' from today in particular is elevated by Bobby and Donna's additions. When they really lock in they're a force.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

Likewise, the double bill of today and yesterday's Berkley shows aren't to be missed. Any dust has been blown off and you'll find people saying that the show from the 24th is as good as Veneta if not better. I don't know if I agree with that, only because like everyone else I'm probably more familiar with the more famous one. But I definitely want to add the 24th to the rotation.

Vocally I think we're edging into the best they've ever sounded. 'He's Gone' from today in particular is elevated by Bobby and Donna's additions. When they really lock in they're a force.

Yeah the whole run has been excellent. Today’s show really is top tier, it’s excruciating that the recordings cut off in the middle of TOO.

E: ah, there's a Dave's Picks with the whole show

trem_two fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 26, 2022

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Happy Naked Pole Guy Day to those who observe

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

trem_two posted:

lol

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
When that concert was the "Meetup At The Movies" show a bunch of years ago, I dragged my non-Deadhead then girlfriend, now wife, to watch it in the theater. She definitely did not know what to make of naked pole guy lol

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World

Final Blog Entry posted:

When that concert was the "Meetup At The Movies" show a bunch of years ago, I dragged my non-Deadhead then girlfriend, now wife, to watch it in the theater. She definitely did not know what to make of naked pole guy lol

I believe that was one of the July 1989 shows from RFK

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
They showed that one a year or two later, I went and saw both of them in the theater

Edit- Veneta 1972 (naked pole guy show) was the 2013 Meet Up, they showed RFK 1989 in 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead_Meet-Up_at_the_Movies

Final Blog Entry fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 27, 2022

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

trem_two posted:

His name is Gary Jensen! He passed on to the great pole in the sky 15 years ago, they go into more details in the Deadcast this week

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think I'm inclined to agree with this take on Veneta these days. As much as I love the 'Dark Star' here I think there's two from the Europe shows alone that I like better. But that's the thing with changing tastes I suppose.

https://twitter.com/Mr_Completely/status/1563625558399152128?t=KLzJqpRj1aCHDhwXYZI1nA&s=19

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Considering I was brought up on a steady diet of Fall 73 and Europe 72, Veneta doesn't really like, blow me away apart from that fact there's video of it.

I mean it still rules but I'm with that poster.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I've been enjoying most of the OTD in 1983 shows that I've checked out lately, and Sept 4, 1983 is a little gem of a show. Starts off strong with Bertha and Friend Of The Devil highlights, and then falters a bit with an abysmal Red Rooster and an Althea that isn't bad but never quite takes off. But then a super uptempo China/Rider closes the first set, second set kicks off with a monster Scarlet/Fire and after a mediocre Women Are Smarter it's into a great D/S -> Spanish Jam - The Wheel -> TOO -> Wharf Rat sequence.

Seems to be a lot of well executed matrix sources available for shows from this era too.

trem_two fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
By the Early 80s we have boards for like 80% of the shows which is nice.