Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Regalingualius posted:

It’s not just about the money, though.

Like every time I’m watching it, there’s now always the lingering background thought that this was the role that springboarded him into becoming as big of a sexpest as he did because of how insanely popular both FMAs were

thats between you and god and not worth litigating in this thread for us, a bunch of people who are not god and cant tell you how to feel about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

personally i open 100 video tabs of every episode of both the original fma and brotherhood, dubbed, and play them simultaneously in the english dub, in order to maximize the vic mignogna energy emanating into my house. his sin becomes my sin, his flesh becomes my flesh. we are of one mind.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Goons gonna goon to whatever, I guess.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

personally i open 100 video tabs of every episode of both the original fma and brotherhood, dubbed, and play them simultaneously in the english dub, in order to maximize the vic mignogna energy emanating into my house. his sin becomes my sin, his flesh becomes my flesh. we are of one mind.

We are Vic victorious.

Regalingualius posted:

Like every time I’m watching it, there’s now always the lingering background thought that this was the role that springboarded him into becoming as big of a sexpest as he did because of how insanely popular both FMAs were

I promise that I forgive you even though it is t your fault and it’s a weird position to have.

Just seperate art from artist and enjoy things

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

My issue is he used the exact same voice for Tamaki in Ouran and Ed in FMA and now I think they’re the same character

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
tbh Risembool Ranger Fuhrer Vic Mignogna isn't going to outweigh the many, many other non-sex pests who do fantastic work in the FMA dubs personally, but I understand the concern

Namtab posted:

Just seperate art from artist and enjoy things

doing that with FMA is easy, doing that with someone like JonTron, not so much, so good thing Vic isn't a one man show on anything worthwhile

MechaX fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 26, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I still like the dub well enough (hell, I just rewatched the show recently) so it's not really that big an issue

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Mors Rattus posted:

My issue is he used the exact same voice for Tamaki in Ouran and Ed in FMA and now I think they’re the same character

You should listen to the Japanese audio so you can think Tamaki is the same character as Light from Deathnote.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

MechaX posted:

tbh Risembool Ranger Fuhrer Vic Mignogna isn't going to outweigh the many, many other non-sex pests who do fantastic work in the FMA dubs personally, but I understand the concern

doing that with FMA is easy, doing that with someone like JonTron, not so much, so good thing Vic isn't a one man show on anything worthwhile

Jontron hasn’t been relevant for like 100 years

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

He only ever really seemed to have two voices anyhow: his regular voice (Ed, Spirit, Rohan, Qrow), and “I just had rusty nails and broken glass for breakfast” (Broly, Bui)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder if they'll redub Junpei for the Persona 3 Portable release. That would be a case office guy actually getting paid and would suck.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zero percent chance

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If it's anything like the Steam release of P4G, it's gonna just be a rom shoved into an emulator with changed button icons.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Regalingualius posted:

He only ever really seemed to have two voices anyhow: his regular voice (Ed, Spirit, Rohan, Qrow), and “I just had rusty nails and broken glass for breakfast” (Broly, Bui)

I think he had a voice changer for Bui, and I want to say that Sabat or someone said a lot of his Broly screams were also computer assisted

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Since it's tangentially related, I know that Vic was replaced by Johnny Yong Bosch in Dragon Ball ever since he sued Funimation. Did Funimation ever release a dub of the Broly movie with Johnny on vocals or did I just imagine that?

Incidentally, it's always worth remembering that if Vic hadn't decided to sue Funimation he'd be riding high on the popularity of Dragon Ball Super. Seeing his career implode is fun but the fact he only faced consequences because he insisted on suing his employer is just so good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

personally would not describe a rapist only facing consequences because he mildly annoyed a major corporation as 'so good'

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also, you're probably thinking of Broly in FighterZ, where his Super incarnation was recast as Johnny.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I wouldn't be shocked to be wrong about this, but I didn't think anyone had accused him of rape "just" sexual assault and harassment.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
This whole shitshow basically started with Monica Rial admitting she was raped around the time Broly came out and the accusations started. At least I’m pretty sure that’s what went down.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Last Celebration posted:

This whole shitshow basically started with Monica Rial admitting she was raped around the time Broly came out and the accusations started. At least I’m pretty sure that’s what went down.

She accused him of horrible poo poo, but rape wasn't one of those things. Like I don't want to imply he isn't a complete piece of poo poo or anything, I just think it's bad to say he did things that none of his victims have claimed he did.

I'm going off this article, if you have a source I'd be happy to read it.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...ignogna/.143664

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Regalingualius posted:

Dude was an enormous sex pest in the first place, he would have found a way if FMA had flopped.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

personally would not describe a rapist only facing consequences because he mildly annoyed a major corporation as 'so good'

Yeah when you put it like that describing the situation the way I did was careless at best. I'm sorry that I was so glib. To be clear the fact he only faced consequences because he annoyed a corporation and not because he assaulted multiple women is apauling.

I'm glad he finally faced some consequence for his actions but it's hosed up that after years of traumatising people he is only facing some degree of consequences because he decided to sue for defamation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I wouldn't be shocked to be wrong about this, but I didn't think anyone had accused him of rape "just" sexual assault and harassment.
ive definitely heard stories of him getting 18-19 year old girls drunk and then dragging them up to his hotel room, but that was word of mouth back when i was active in the con scene so i dont have any hard proof for you

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Skwirl posted:

She accused him of horrible poo poo, but rape wasn't one of those things. Like I don't want to imply he isn't a complete piece of poo poo or anything, I just think it's bad to say he did things that none of his victims have claimed he did.

I'm going off this article, if you have a source I'd be happy to read it.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...ignogna/.143664

You're correct. Vic was not accused of rape.

As an aside for timeline stuff - Rial only shared her story after everything kicked off, and the angry swarm of sex pest fans had descended on others speaking out. He'd already been fired by funimation at that point.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Not rape, just sparking sexual assault. Completely different.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endorph posted:

ive definitely heard stories of him getting 18-19 year old girls drunk and then dragging them up to his hotel room, but that was word of mouth back when i was active in the con scene so i dont have any hard proof for you

I heard stories all the way back in the Livejournal days, too. Some were about him being a creep and even more about him just being a total entitled dick to whichever poor sap got the job of being his convention handler.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Dawgstar posted:

I heard stories all the way back in the Livejournal days, too. Some were about him being a creep and even more about him just being a total entitled dick to whichever poor sap got the job of being his convention handler.

He was a creep and several conventions wouldn't leave him alone with female constaff or fans.
Source: I got stuck with the douche bag a few times. We had a Code Vic.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I only really knew about a disgusted sentiment that went around some of the fan circles I frequented at the time, when he was announced for Edward for FMA. Didn't really understand it at the time, mainly because he seemed to be an okay Ed, but having it all spill out when this poo poo started really brought that into focus all of a sudden. And yeah, this was back when LJ was thriving, had a friend who regularly posted FMA fanfic, so this had been happening a long time when it finally came out fully.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Namtab posted:

Not rape, just sparking sexual assault. Completely different.

Yes. They are completely different things. Wtf is wrong with you besides being Namtab?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Nessus posted:

Dude was an enormous sex pest in the first place, he would have found a way if FMA had flopped.

Yeah iirc his thing before voice acting was he was a teacher at a Christian academy that may or may not have been caught getting handsy with his students, if voice acting didn’t work he would have found some other way to get his rocks off

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think that you can argue that while serial sexual predators see every possible career as a vehicle for indulging their appetites, being a celebrity actor in media aimed at teenagers was a particularly dangerous occupation for Mignogna to obtain.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Yes. They are completely different things. Wtf is wrong with you besides being Namtab?

What’s wrong with me is that I don’t make distinctions about noncery

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Yeah iirc his thing before voice acting was he was a teacher at a Christian academy that may or may not have been caught getting handsy with his students, if voice acting didn’t work he would have found some other way to get his rocks off

going to Liberty University is a big yikes in and of itself and I’d seen a Twitter thread from a woman who was a teenager in the area in the 80s or 90s who he took to his room

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Namtab posted:

What’s wrong with me is that I don’t make distinctions about noncery

He's definitely made questionable jokes, but all of the accusations about his behaviors were made were adults. He's an absolute piece of poo poo, but you don't need to make up new crimes that no one has accused him of.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nonce just means sex offender

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Namtab posted:

Nonce just means sex offender

Most people will understand it to specifically refer to paedophilia/other crimes against minors.

EDIT: It's a pedantic and/or academic distinction at this point, given the post below

GruntMountain fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 27, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Skwirl posted:

He's definitely made questionable jokes, but all of the accusations about his behaviors were made were adults. He's an absolute piece of poo poo, but you don't need to make up new crimes that no one has accused him of.

https://www.reddit.com/r/weeabootales/comments/1uli0u/comment/cemg3eg/

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-01-30/far-from-perfect-fans-recount-unwanted-affection-from-voice-actor-vic-mignogna/.142212

https://gizmodo.com/one-of-anime-s-biggest-voices-accused-of-sexual-harassm-1832390505

I ain't digging for livejournal and poo poo, but there's 2 industry articles and a 9yo reddit comment all claiming that Vic was assaulting or soliciting 14-16 year olds, so I guess you have your receipts now.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Skwirl posted:

Not true, from one of the affadavits

quote:

The earliest incident outlined in the affidavits involves a former 16-year-old theater student ("Michelle") and fellow parishioner at Mignogna's church in Lynchburg, Virginia.

"I was cast in the school play of Mouse Trap by Agatha Christi [sic] where I was first introduced to Victor Mignogna during our rehearsals. Mignogna was helping with the production of this play and an assistant to the directors," she said. Michelle stated that on several occasions, Mignogna requested that she stay after rehearsals when other students and teachers were no longer present. She stated that he rehearsed more and also played "love songs" on the piano for her.

She alleged that after working together on the high school play in 1989, Mignogna frequented Michelle's summer job, an ice cream parlor. One day that summer, she said that he pulled along side her in his car while she was riding her bike and invited the then high school sophomore to his home to watch a "Christian worship video". Upon arriving, Michelle says he went into his bedroom and came back out shirtless and in "very small and revealing shorts." Michelle said it was at this time she realized there was no "Christian worship video."

Michelle states that Mignogna sat next her on the couch, put his arm around her, put his tongue in her ear, and played with her hair. She says that he stated "Let's just enjoy each other." Michelle protested and told him that she needed to go home. Eventually, she stated that he stopped and became "extremely upset at me and incredibly rude." She left his home to report the incident to her youth minister but he was not at his office.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Skwirl posted:

There's definitely an anecdote in court filings about children. (Oh hey, Piell found another one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mea culpa on that one.