Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Absolutely:

https://www.aftonbladet.se/ledare/a/XqxLJ7/jag-verkar-ha-fatt-ratt-om-von-papen

Ulf Kristersson Von Papen is gonna make the history books for all the wrong reasons.
People who live in glass houses.

Cardiac posted:

Ah, the Tucker Carlson of Sweden.
He is a mouthpiece for S, who owns the editorial part of Aftonbladet.
Was Lindberg's father the director of the Swedish left-wing equivalent to Voice of America (the American state funded propaganda broadcaster)?

Did Lindberg try to join the Swedish left-wing counterpart to the CIA?

Did Lindberg's stepmother own parts of and sell a large corporation that is as large as Swanson Frozen Foods?

edit:

Lyudmila Pavlichenko, Soviet sniper with 309 kills fighting Nazis.

Jon Pod Van Damm fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Reminder that you can get jail time for non-violent crimes like begging on the street.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/seneste/regeringen-vil-udvise-alle-udlaendinge-der-faar-en-ubetinget-dom

quote:

Hvis en udlænding får en ubetinget dom, skal vedkommende som udgangspunkt altid udvises fra Danmark.

Det mener regeringen, der vil ændre reglerne på området, skriver Ritzau.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

TheFluff posted:

cardiac being factually wrong? :monocle:
LO (the trade union confederation) owns 9% of the shares of aftonbladet and may veto the appointment of political editors. they do not have any further influence and definitely do not "own" the editorial part of the paper. LO isn't the social democratic party either, but I'm not really gonna quibble about that given how close they are.

like, the paper openly describes its editorial position as "independent social-democrat" so it's not exactly surprising that it publishes editorials that are mostly in line with what the social democrats think. it's not exactly a conspiracy. is your position just that it should be rejected purely on the grounds that it's something that S would agree with???

also, tucker carlson?! loving lmao

The GOP and S have a certain resemblance since they both work to keep the status quo. Actual politics is another thing.
The Anders Lindberg of 2015 would call the current S horrible racists, but as he is S, he is always on the right side (irrespective if the side varied between two days). His sole purpose is to sling dirt in a manner reminiscent of Trumps media strategy.

Edit: M had lower polls leading up to last election than actual results and vice versa for SD.

Cardiac fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 27, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cardiac posted:

The GOP and S have a certain resemblance since they both work to keep the status quo. Actual politics is another thing.
The Anders Lindberg of 2015 would call the current S horrible racists, but as he is S, he is always on the right side (irrespective if the side varied between two days). His sole purpose is to sling dirt in a manner reminiscent of Trumps media strategy.
The GOP is not for the status quo, what are you talking about. The Democrats are the status quo party, to the point that they as a party can't even conceive of politics as a way to change things, and are thus repeatedly blindsided by Republicans.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The GOP is not for the status quo, what are you talking about. The Democrats are the status quo party, to the point that they as a party can't even conceive of politics as a way to change things, and are thus repeatedly blindsided by Republicans.

Why do you think conservatives are called conservatives, and would you say that GOP aren’t conservatives?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I can just repost the live Tucker reaction image wrt: the GOP and S comparable. Sure they want the “status quo”, but their ideas of status quo are wildly loving different.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Why do you think conservatives are called conservatives, and would you say that GOP aren’t conservatives?

What the status quo is now is not what the naz… eh GOP wants. They want to revert things back to something more brutal.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

F4rt5 posted:

What the status quo is now is not what the naz… eh GOP wants. They want to revert things back to something more brutal.

They are progressives, actually. They want the society to progress toward greater patriarchy and plutocracy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yes. They're reactionaries, wanting to turn back the clock on progress or create their own version of progress counter to that of their political enemies. The conservatives are the Democratic right wing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

F4rt5 posted:

Between the two though, GOP is the one party for which status quo wouldn't be a death knell, in which I'd say they're the more deserving US party of “the status quo party” monicker.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yes. They're reactionaries, wanting to turn back the clock on progress or create their own version of progress counter to that of their political enemies. The conservatives are the Democratic right wing.

Sure, that'd be more accurate. I get that it's hot to poo poo on Dems, but expectations of nuance should go both ways.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Between the two though, GOP is the one party for which status quo wouldn't be a death knell, in which I'd say they're the more deserving US party of “the status quo party” monicker.
It absolutely would. The GOP's voters demand action, hence them getting rid of incumbents in favor of more radical politicians who will more fervently carry out their political project. That's why the GOP is in constant flux, and does things like overturn decades old supreme court decisions.

The Democratic Party is literally the party of people who just want to go to brunch, with a bunch of captured voters who vote for them just so things don't get worse rather. They're the people who were on top when history ended, and see no reason to change anything at all.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Sure, that'd be more accurate. I get that it's hot to poo poo on Dems, but expectations of nuance should go both ways.
What does this even mean??

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
shut the gently caress up about american loving politics, gently caress

most threads on this godforsaken forum are about that poo poo, we don't need this one too

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It absolutely would. The GOP's voters demand action, hence them getting rid of incumbents in favor of more radical politicians who will more fervently carry out their political project. That's why the GOP is in constant flux, and does things like overturn decades old supreme court decisions.
I meant to say that an integral part of their political platform is to yield absolutely no ground to Dems - which in my mind would disqualify status quo from being a fail state for the party. It’s obviously not the goal though, and voter behaviour does serve to show that, just as you say - especially when they’re smelling blood in the water.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Democratic Party is literally the party of people who just want to go to brunch, with a bunch of captured voters who vote for them just so things don't get worse rather. They're the people who were on top when history ended, and see no reason to change anything at all.

What does this even mean??
That means that I’ll keep reading your posts as “Dem progressives like AOC or Khanna are conservatives pining for status quo” until you will deign to consistently identify Dem elements or factions you’re speaking of. Unlike GOP, it’s a big tent party that hardly whips its members.

Edit:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Democrats are the status quo party

To summarize, as TheFluff has a point – if you're trying to call someone out for using imprecise language, consider using precise language in your example to the contrary. Saying “Dems bad and don't do anything” is not good enough for D&D.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 27, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

TheFluff posted:

most threads on this godforsaken forum are about that poo poo, we don't need this one too
You're right. Not sure why we even have a mod butting into this thread and making the topic about American politics like this, when I had already made my point perfectly clear in my first post.

I was gonna actually apologize for continuing the derail myself, but given D&D rules I'm not sure I'm even allowed not to respond. Especially when dealing with a mod that clearly has an ideological bone to pick.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

To summarize, as TheFluff has a point – if you're trying to call someone out for using imprecise language, consider using precise language in your example to the contrary. Saying “Dems bad and don't do anything” is not good enough for D&D.
This is an extremely dishonest reading of that sentence. A status quo party can still do things, or have members who want to do things, the thing that matters is whether the people actually running the show would prefer not to or not.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You're right. Not sure why we even have a mod butting into this thread and making the topic about American politics like this, when I had already made my point perfectly clear in my first post.

I was gonna actually apologize for continuing the derail myself, but given D&D rules I'm not sure I'm even allowed not to respond. Especially when dealing with a mod that clearly has an ideological bone to pick.

This is an extremely dishonest reading of that sentence. A status quo party can still do things, or have members who want to do things, the thing that matters is whether the people actually running the show would prefer not to or not.

There's a surprisingly easy way to avoid disagreeable reads of the posts you make. However, if your primary reaction to someone not reading your mind is to accuse them of a politically motivated attack, a more relaxed subforum may suit you better. And no, nothing in D&D rules prevents you from candidly bowing out of a derail.

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Why is a mod shitstirrin' in the scandipol thread?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Anyway, with this new proposed ban on religious headwear in Danish schools, in just worried where it will end? Now it's scarves, but in a few short years everyone will likely be forced to go to school in their underpants or less!

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

TheFluff posted:

this would never have happened if nils was IK

Jon Pod Van Damm fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 27, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

BonHair posted:

Anyway, with this new proposed ban on religious headwear in Danish schools, in just worried where it will end? Now it's scarves, but in a few short years everyone will likely be forced to go to school in their underpants or less!
The mandatory pork product movement might go further and require it for all public buildings, or make pork products the only meat served in kindergartens. I mean, the primary focus of all this is to make the country as hostile as possible to "offensive" cultural practices, and I'm pretty sure not eating pork falls under that. Plus it aligns well with a domestic economic faction, the pig farmers themselves.

Other options would be for the subject "Religion" to be made a comparative study of religions and philosophies, with the sole purpose of explaining exactly why Danish Christianity is the best and Muhammad was a pedophile. Or just taking kids from their parents, if their parents are judged to be "extremists".

Moderation derail:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There's a surprisingly easy way to avoid disagreeable reads of the posts you make. However, if your primary reaction to someone not reading your mind is to accuse them of a politically motivated attack, a more relaxed subforum may suit you better. And no, nothing in D&D rules prevents you from candidly bowing out of a derail.
It is not because you didn't read my mind, it's because you jumped into a non-US regional thread and decided to stir up a storm about US politics. "The Democrats are a status-quo party" should not even be a position that requires explanation, in much the same way as "The Democrats are a progressive party" should not - because either position is entirely mainstream on the forum, and the reason why someone would hold either position has been rehashed for over a decade. If we're expected to get into the weeds on thoroughly trampled ground every loving time, we'll never actually get to discuss anything new. This should be especially true in a non-US regional thread, where hashing out the exact position of a poster on US party politics is entirely off-topic.

As for why I said you had an ideological bone to pick, this is why:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I get that it's hot to poo poo on Dems, but expectations of nuance should go both ways.
Which is essentially saying that I'm a just following a trend because it's cool, and not simply because it's my honestly held opinion. I'm also not sure what "expectations of nuance should go both ways" means in the context of discussing Scandinavian politics with comparisons to the US. There was not much nuance in the post I originally replied to, and you never asked cardiac to explain his position.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

ted hitler hunter posted:

Careful what you wish for.

Tucker Carlson might not be the best similarity, but lindberg have the same purpose which is to sling poo poo and muddle the political conversation at the behest of a dominant political party.
S lacks any political ideas except keeping S in power and given this, they will try to derail any political issue that doesn’t favour them. And Trump/GOP showed that this was a viable media strategy in the current media climate where abject denial and outright lies is a functioning tactic.

That said, this applies to any party in a similar situation, irrespective of political side.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

ted hitler hunter posted:

The law and order problems in scandpol should be solved as we are currently doingit IRL, with a hilarious race to the bottom.

And that Tucker comparison is so off that it is baffling. Just, no. The common thing is that they are… talking heads? Ok? So then any ledarskribent is the ”tucker carlsson of Sweden”.

Tucker’s main feature ls that he is that his persona is unbeliavably dense, and his ”reporting” is often to push a repressive agenda, hense the squinting memes etc. So Sweden’s Tucker is clearly… Joakim Lamotte.

But more seriously, the closest comparison to Fox News editorials is Riks, not loving Aftonbladet.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 28, 2022

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Tucker Carlson spreads propaganda about “white replacement”

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Moderation derail:

It is not because you didn't read my mind, it's because you jumped into a non-US regional thread and decided to stir up a storm about US politics. "The Democrats are a status-quo party" should not even be a position that requires explanation, in much the same way as "The Democrats are a progressive party" should not - because either position is entirely mainstream on the forum, and the reason why someone would hold either position has been rehashed for over a decade. If we're expected to get into the weeds on thoroughly trampled ground every loving time, we'll never actually get to discuss anything new. This should be especially true in a non-US regional thread, where hashing out the exact position of a poster on US party politics is entirely off-topic.

As for why I said you had an ideological bone to pick, this is why:

Which is essentially saying that I'm a just following a trend because it's cool, and not simply because it's my honestly held opinion. I'm also not sure what "expectations of nuance should go both ways" means in the context of discussing Scandinavian politics with comparisons to the US. There was not much nuance in the post I originally replied to, and you never asked cardiac to explain his position.

I didn't jump into this thread to talk about US politics at all. That's not a topic I'm particularly interested discussing on SA, if you'll note the virtual absence of my posts in the US threads. The reason I replied to you is that I consider “The Democrats are a status-quo party” a position that does require explanation, or more specific language applied. Therefore, I view the statement to be an inadequate opener when calling someone out for making a statement that you deem inaccurate or requiring explanation, and this inadequacy is the sole motivator I had for replying to you. I hope this explains “expectations of nuance should go both ways”.

That said, the second quote is hardly written as clear as it should've been, sorry. My intended focus there was to say that, lacking specificity, some of your writing bears a style indistinguishable from “Dems bad” vibes posting that's perfectly fine for subforums for stylesheets, but not useful enough for D&D. Hence, “expectations of nuance should go both ways” – the general expectations for posts in D&D apply not just to the person you're calling out, but to yourself as well. Your personal politics are unknown to me, and neither them, nor my opinion of them, is relevant at all here.

P.S. I consider “The Democrats are a progressive party” to be in active contradiction to “The Democrats are a status-quo party”. Furthermore, “The Democrats are a progressive party” is another phrase that in my view requires either explanation, or more specific language. This is not something you went for in the original post, so I'm just leaving this out here for posterity.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 28, 2022

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
Sniper the point is that we do not care about your comparisons to American politics nor your defense to making these comparisons. Going forward please refrain from making these comparisons and limit your participation to this particular threads' requirements of Scandinavian/Nordic only.

To bring this back to Scandi topics: I was reading that SAS is facing another strike action, this time the cabin crew (deservedly so, as post Covid all the air and airport crews have been understaffed and overwhelmed). I am fairly new to Norway, so my understanding is that the Norwegian state sold their stake, but yet got involved in the last strike? Why sell at all then? I am also not sure who has control of SAS now...I have learned a bit about the history of SAS from a Norwegian slant, with the whole Svensk alt sammen poor taste joke from the 80's, but that doesn't really defend the decision to pull out of having a controlling portion. If SAS is such a crucial lifeline to many parts of Scandinavia then why don't the governments stop the mess, rather than just bail it out?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

funakupo posted:

Sniper the point is that we do not care about your comparisons to American politics nor your defense to making these comparisons. Going forward please refrain from making these comparisons and limit your participation to this particular threads' requirements of Scandinavian/Nordic only.

If you didn't read my posts, don't reply to them.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If you didn't read my posts, don't reply to them.

Maybe you could try reading the room here? For once?

Ed: I've asked for an admin to come help end this USPOL derail

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 28, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rust Martialis posted:

Maybe you could try reading the room here? For once?

I'm well aware that the thread would much rather discuss anything else, and, consequently, left my reply to A Buttery Pastry on moderation matters in spoilers, concerning a derail that spent itself yesterday. You'd think that would be the end of it, but funakupo decided to claim that I'm the instigator, or some such, of the conversation between Postorder Trollet89, Cardiac, and A Buttery Pastry, when I merely warned the latter after the fact. Instead, they could've simply posted about the SAS ongoings.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

P.S. I consider “The Democrats are a progressive party” to be in active contradiction to “The Democrats are a status-quo party”. Furthermore, “The Democrats are a progressive party” is another phrase that in my view requires either explanation, or more specific language. This is not something you went for in the original post, so I'm just leaving this out here for posterity.
Of course it is, that doesn't mean that one person couldn't sincerely believe one position, while another sincerely believed the other. As for requiring explanation, I feel it's kind of wild given that the two positions are basically the ideological divide between US D&D and US C-SPAM. Obviously people neither side is entirely in lockstep, nor in total agreement exactly what either position means, but for the purposes of refuting a simple comparison to Tucker Carlson I don't think any real detail is required.

funakupo posted:

To bring this back to Scandi topics: I was reading that SAS is facing another strike action, this time the cabin crew (deservedly so, as post Covid all the air and airport crews have been understaffed and overwhelmed). I am fairly new to Norway, so my understanding is that the Norwegian state sold their stake, but yet got involved in the last strike? Why sell at all then? I am also not sure who has control of SAS now...I have learned a bit about the history of SAS from a Norwegian slant, with the whole Svensk alt sammen poor taste joke from the 80's, but that doesn't really defend the decision to pull out of having a controlling portion. If SAS is such a crucial lifeline to many parts of Scandinavia then why don't the governments stop the mess, rather than just bail it out?
Because every Scandinavian state hates the idea of nationalization, or government intervention (in business)? The Swedes have even recently said they're trying to divest themselves of most of their share, and have no long-term plans of owning any, and it would be "weird" for Norway to rebuy shares they sold like four years ago.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Of course it is, that doesn't mean that one person couldn't sincerely believe one position, while another sincerely believed the other. As for requiring explanation, I feel it's kind of wild given that the two positions are basically the ideological divide between US D&D and US C-SPAM. Obviously people neither side is entirely in lockstep, nor in total agreement exactly what either position means, but for the purposes of refuting a simple comparison to Tucker Carlson I don't think any real detail is required.
I feel that this is moving on from the original conversation in some ways, so I’ll send you a private message with further elaboration. All I’ve left to say for the thread’s reference is that the more detailed and nuanced your rebuttal is, the stronger case you have for posting it once and just directing people back to it later on. The sub-rule forcing people to acknowledge rebuttals does serve a purpose.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
Please stop. Thus thread is quite good and will 100 % get worse with american meta-poo poo.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ffs people go back to talking about scandinavian politics

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

funakupo posted:

Norway held like a 10% stake. I don’t know for sure but they probably saw how Norwegian was performing compared to SAS and wanted off that wild ride. As for other countries I have no clue. Maybe nostalgia and/or lobbying from northerners to keep their inrikesflyg to Kiruna?

Just hope they’re still around come winter as I’ve booked my flights back to moder Svea already on them.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

luminalflux posted:

Norway held like a 10% stake. I don’t know for sure but they probably saw how Norwegian was performing compared to SAS and wanted off that wild ride. As for other countries I have no clue. Maybe nostalgia and/or lobbying from northerners to keep their inrikesflyg to Kiruna?

Just hope they’re still around come winter as I’ve booked my flights back to moder Svea already on them.

Afaik SAS surviving is a pretty big deal for Kastrup, and thereby Copenhagen, and thereby Denmark, which is a reason why they’ve been interested in keeping SAS alive.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

lilljonas posted:

Afaik SAS surviving is a pretty big deal for Kastrup, and thereby Copenhagen, and thereby Denmark, which is a reason why they’ve been interested in keeping SAS alive.

More than a third of flights volume at Kastrup is SAS. So no SAS, no Kastrup, basically.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

lilljonas posted:

That makes sense. I don't know what's in it for Sweden though, unless it's the same thing with Arlanda. Though with the recent changes to move more and more of SAS to Ireland and make everyone part of a bemanningsfirma they have to be less of a chunk of Arlanda's value than Kastrup

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Kastrup is pretty important for people living in southern Sweden.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Ah right. My Stockholm/Gothenburg bias fully on display here.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

As I understand it, SAS was created as a co-op between Denmark, Sweden and Norway to ensure that flights actually went to Scandinavia. The idea was to have Kastrup as a hub and then SAS servicing the smaller Scandinavian destinations.

This made economic sense once, but with newer budget airlines like Norwegian and general increase in air traffic volume, it's not really working out anymore. But Kastrup is still a hub because of this history and deals related to it. Which means that if SAS goes, Copenhagen loses out on a lot of flights. I don't really think Norway and Sweden have much to lose...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
The old saying was the Swedes had the money, the Norwegians the pilots (ww2) and the Danes had kastrup.