Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

im not anglo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Lmao at salesmen coming up with poo poo terms like young adult fiction and prestige television and stupid Anglos thinking they are terms one should ever ever use.

"light novel"

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Shibawanko posted:

im not anglo

Oh yeah I forgot you're whatever the even whiter version of a brit is

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Genres and descriptions like that are handy to be able to better compartmentalize, sort, and judge both the media itself but also the people who enjoy it.

Don't get why that's complicated for anyone.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

All consumer automobiles should have a speed limiter built in, that make it impossible for the car to go above 75 miles an hour. Tampering with or removing the limiter should be punished with a permanent revocation of perpetrator's driving license.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress that. Gotta go fast

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius Marius posted:

gently caress that. Gotta go fast

you really don't

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
There should be a concerted political effort to remove the need, and the right, for private individuals to own cars.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gripweed posted:

you really don't

You say that but how the hell am I expected to get back to 1955 to prevent Biff from stealing that sports almanac and prevent this dystopian nightmare at a mere 75 mph? And while we're on the subject, just who are you calling chicken?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

Pussy sex is way better than buttsex

Dont know why buttsex gets spo much hype

I don't mind as long as both are available to eat.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Aug 26, 2022

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Gripweed posted:

All consumer automobiles should have a speed limiter built in, that make it impossible for the car to go above 75 miles an hour. Tampering with or removing the limiter should be punished with a permanent revocation of perpetrator's driving license.

But the speed limit is faster than 75mph.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

doverhog posted:

There should be a concerted political effort to remove the need, and the right, for private individuals to own cars.

It costs a hundred bucks and takes eight hours to travel a hundred miles by public transportation in most of the US

I mean yeah I'd like to be able to give up private vehicle ownership but gently caress anyone who tries to limit car access before alternate infrastructure is built

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

It costs a hundred bucks and takes eight hours to travel a hundred miles by public transportation in most of the US

I mean yeah I'd like to be able to give up private vehicle ownership but gently caress anyone who tries to limit car access before alternate infrastructure is built

That's why "need" came first in that sentence.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

doverhog posted:

That's why "need" came first in that sentence.

Oh yeah I was yes-anding with you but dang my post doesn't read that way

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

doverhog posted:

I would love that. It'd be great if it wasn't cheaper to drive a car for 5 hours than get a train.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Josef bugman posted:

I would love that. It'd be great if it wasn't cheaper to drive a car for 5 hours than get a train.

Aren’t you in the UK? Is there a place that’s even a five hour drive away from you?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thetoughestbean posted:

Aren’t you in the UK? Is there a place that’s even a five hour drive away from you?

France?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

thetoughestbean posted:

I live in the very far north and am driving to London.

It costs a lot in petrol, and I do not enjoy doing it. I have to drive 50 mins along very big hills to get to work and I hate that too. Its the only job I could get and it pays a month in arrears. Its a pain.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the term 'prestige tv' is not a marketing term and was always intended as a burn hth

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I bet it's pretty easy to learn how to play the trumpet

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

doverhog posted:

BRB, off to file the paperwork to create Powered Descent Automotive, LLC, to which I shall then transfer ownership of my Mazda.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
There should be no regulations specific to mixing caffeine, alcohol, and all the undocumented power-chemicals in energy drinks. Have laws for individual things like booze or set no limit like caffeine, it's a weird nanny-state situation to ban premixed vodka+redbull (actually true in NYC). If people are dying from speedballs its going to be on good drugs, not an admixture of teenage rebellion shiy

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Analytic Engine posted:

There should be no regulations specific to mixing caffeine, alcohol, and all the undocumented power-chemicals in energy drinks. Have laws for individual things like booze or set no limit like caffeine, it's a weird nanny-state situation to ban premixed vodka+redbull (actually true in NYC). If people are dying from speedballs its going to be on good drugs, not an admixture of teenage rebellion shiy

Didn't know that was a thing, weird.

I've been very critical of Biden but he seems to have come alive recently, and it's good. Maybe the (valid) criticism of him has gotten through, maybe he woke up and realized he is gonna die of old age soon, so now he is actually doing things instead of surrendering to the Republicans at every opportunity.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Someone died drinking a four Loko or something it's dumb as hell. Like those loving marines who killed themselves with DMAA ruining it for the rest of us.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aramek posted:

Genres and descriptions like that are handy to be able to better compartmentalize, sort, and judge both the media itself but also the people who enjoy it.

Don't get why that's complicated for anyone.

They are 100% marketing terms and completely useless except for marketing. But idiots love marketing and will even create their whole identities based on it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ohtori Akio posted:

the term 'prestige tv' is not a marketing term and was always intended as a burn hth

"Send me the biggest [Citation needed] you have."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Alexis Pichard, a french academic who does not make money off american tv shows, is one of the main proponents of late 2000s-now being a "golden age of american television." He started that more than ten years ago. Also you don't have to like the shows to acknowledge the shift from episodic sitcoms, game shows, etc topping ratings to serialized dramatic shows about dragons and drug dealers and whatever. It's a thing. "Prestige TV," "tedious crap," "please god just let it die," whatever you want to call it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Thanks for the completely irrelevant reply, Fishmech.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The point is it's not a marketing term, it's a thing that conveys a specific meaning, just not relevant to you.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It was useful as a label like twenty years ago because old people like me grew up associating television with bad production and writing quality

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Manager Hoyden posted:

It was useful as a label like twenty years ago because old people like me grew up associating television with bad production and writing quality

Isn’t prestige tv only around a decade old as a term?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

thetoughestbean posted:

Isn’t prestige tv only around a decade old as a term?

I thought it came around the same time as Sopranos but I could be remembering wrong

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It was at least around in the early 2010s because it was in college textbooks that I read and I graduated in 2013.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Oz was the beginning of prestige TV. :colbert:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Animal-Mother posted:

Still the only way to see Chris Meloni's bhole

They call that "the prestige"

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Manager Hoyden posted:

Still the only way to see Chris Meloni's bhole

They call that "the prestige"

Real surprised at some of those dudes' dongs

Like impressively big

Wonder if any of them would use a prosthesis? Either way if by prestige we mean "hanging dong" I'm 100% behind it, forget the tired trope of background tits

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I thought prestige tv started getting bandied about as a term right around True Detective, Breaking Bad, and Game of Thrones were getting really big

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
When will we get to experience the golden age of prestige posting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

Assraping Chimp from Kate & Allie? Prestigious.