Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sash! posted:

Zero. None at any neighboring farms. Dairy doesn't really need any.

Oh, you're a dairy heir?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Sash! posted:

You do realize that the overwhelming majority of farms are owner operated and employ their immediate family? I'm not sure how my uncle, mom, aunt, two cousins, and brother were supposed to unionize our unpaid dairy farm labor.

The majority of farms, or the majority of people engaged in agricultural labor? Even if most farms are family affairs, could not larger agricultural enterprises still comprise a significant (if not outright majority) of the total population of agricultural laborers? In which case, unionization would still be the "correct" move for most people who do the work of farming, if not necessarily on most farms (defined as distinct enterprises, not acreage).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Oh, you're a dairy heir?

They're a kulak! Quick, holodomor the duck out of them!

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzeznWVQu5o

I thought this was some kind of Roddenberry tribute project but it seems to have become more... ?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey why does TNG S1 with Amazon Prime and P+ look like dogshit?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Penitent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzeznWVQu5o

I thought this was some kind of Roddenberry tribute project but it seems to have become more... ?

Colt seems to be a central character? This one has some really neat alt-retro-60s future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng8qTIythnA

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Baragon?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Commander Spack reporting for duty.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Payndz posted:

Roddenberry's Vision™ evolved over time. In TOS it was very much in the mould of "only by fighting to overcome obstacles and adversity will humanity reach its full potential" (Kirk has at least two speeches along these lines). By TMP he'd moved on to "enlightened humans have attained a near-utopian society on Earth, while the throwbacks who prefer challenges join Starfleet" (his TMP novelisation has numerous examples of this), and then TNG brought him to full "humans are fully enlightened and there's no conflict, only reasoned debate* to solve all problems".

(*Reasoned debate backed up by a starship capable of levelling planets.)

It's great that it gave us a branch of sci-fi that was actually optimistic about the future and celebrated humanity's best side, but yeah, it didn't lead to compelling drama until the writers came up with ways to slip proper interpersonal conflict back in there, whether Roddenberry wanted it or not.

The thing with "Gene's Future"tm is even with the TNG era a question can be asked--is the "perfect current ideal enlightened future" just simply a new stage eventually to be replaced by something better?

What I mean is this--in TOS, it was the Federation is stable, good place to live. Earth is united and at peace. But people still strive to move out to colonies to live a hardscrabble existence, or to explore. And those people seem to be lauded as positive in the context of the show.

In TMP, specifically the novelization which is pretty purestrain Roddenberry, (and this is going from memories of me as a 10 year old reading it decades ago) the people of Enlightened Earth were Super Humans and regarded people like Kirk to be primitive throwbacks. But again, he is still Our Hero. I just don't recall the "New Humans" or whatever they were being presented as aspirational.

In TNG, it's different. How much of what we see is Gene's Futuretm and what were the contributions of others is blurry, but we see a humanity who has "evolved beyond" conflict, need, want, scarcity of resources, the need for money. But is this just yet another stage? The TOS era had one great thing to strive for, the TNG another, but was it peak perfection? I'm sure Gene thought the humanity of Kirk's era had achieved perfection, but 20 years later he found a new perfection to write. I'm particularly thinking of the frozen 20th century folks in S1 where Picard sanctimoniously lectures them about money and fame. Now even leaving out the later retcons of people leaving to settle other areas, form the Maquis, latinum, intrapersonal conflict, the views of Earth as seen on DS9 and Picard, you have to wonder--was Gene trying to say this was the final ideal? If Gene had done a Next Next Generation 100 years later, would the TNG era seem as hopelessly primitive and struggle filled as TOS and the 20th century once were?

And an interesting note--despite the show bible and all the earliest stuff talking about this new supposed perfect and conflict free enlightened humanity, the first episode shows humanity being put on trial by a superior life form. Though Picard won the day and convinced the Q we weren't that primitive, they didn't invite us to join the ranks of post corporeal gods on the spot. I think the implication is there's still things to do.

MikeJF posted:

Colt seems to be a central character? This one has some really neat alt-retro-60s future.

I don't get what this Roddenberry initiative is trying to accomplish. It sounds like they are trying to document props, people, sets, and whatnot to do perfect digital recreations of them even beyond what they were in the show (ie a fully digitized Enterprise with full walls and rooms, not a soundstage) and make some kind of "interactive experience"? Is it like a holodeck in real life or some VR thing?

It just doesn't seem to me we have the technology to actualize that yet...

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

This is like some mirror universe version of the original tv series that I need to see

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This Spock looks like an extra from The Godfather.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Astroman posted:

In TNG, it's different. How much of what we see is Gene's Futuretm and what were the contributions of others is blurry, but we see a humanity who has "evolved beyond" conflict, need, want, scarcity of resources, the need for money. But is this just yet another stage? The TOS era had one great thing to strive for, the TNG another, but was it peak perfection? I'm sure Gene thought the humanity of Kirk's era had achieved perfection, but 20 years later he found a new perfection to write. I'm particularly thinking of the frozen 20th century folks in S1 where Picard sanctimoniously lectures them about money and fame. Now even leaving out the later retcons of people leaving to settle other areas, form the Maquis, latinum, intrapersonal conflict, the views of Earth as seen on DS9 and Picard, you have to wonder--was Gene trying to say this was the final ideal? If Gene had done a Next Next Generation 100 years later, would the TNG era seem as hopelessly primitive and struggle filled as TOS and the 20th century once were?

And an interesting note--despite the show bible and all the earliest stuff talking about this new supposed perfect and conflict free enlightened humanity, the first episode shows humanity being put on trial by a superior life form. Though Picard won the day and convinced the Q we weren't that primitive, they didn't invite us to join the ranks of post corporeal gods on the spot. I think the implication is there's still things to do.

:yeah:

As Picard says in The Neutral Zone "We've grown out of our infancy," but that still leaves humanity at age 1.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tiberius Christ posted:

This is like some mirror universe version of the original tv series that I need to see

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Astroman posted:

Is that actually a thing? I just figured the Q were a special race of beings.

Are there something like Stargate's Ascended Ancients in Star Trek? (and corresponding Ori, I suppose)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol I never noticed it before but the Enterprise immediately detects the Romulan warbird in their first encounter in The Neutral Zone. So much for Romulan cloaking technology!

Also Picard begins the Starfleet tradition of treating decloaking ships as No Big Deal. They could have destroyed the warbird as Worf and Riker suggest but Picard lets them decloak. That's actually quite good counterintel - Picard behaves as though they haven't detected the warbird five minutes ago.

Oh okay the Romulans hosed up their cloak on purpose to see what the Enterprise would do. My bad!

Aaaah it's Mark Alaimo! Fire all weapons!

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 27, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wow, that DALL-E AI's gotten pretty good lately!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Wow, that DALL-E AI's gotten pretty good lately!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

Oh, you're a dairy heir?

I would like to point out that I have inherited exactly $0, and my primary benefit is whatever the market value of the hundreds of gallons of Kool Aid I drank during the summer is. At this point, any possible money that could filter down to me is sweet sweet natural gas money.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

The majority of farms, or the majority of people engaged in agricultural labor? Even if most farms are family affairs, could not larger agricultural enterprises still comprise a significant (if not outright majority) of the total population of agricultural laborers? In which case, unionization would still be the "correct" move for most people who do the work of farming, if not necessarily on most farms (defined as distinct enterprises, not acreage).

There's pretty severe difference in the region of the country and the type of agricultural business that you do. I was more glibly pointing out that it isn't really a one size fits all solution.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Arglebargle III posted:

It’s TNG S1? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sash! posted:

I would like to point out that I have inherited exactly $0, and my primary benefit is whatever the market value of the hundreds of gallons of Kool Aid I drank during the summer is. At this point, any possible money that could filter down to me is sweet sweet natural gas money.

There's pretty severe difference in the region of the country and the type of agricultural business that you do. I was more glibly pointing out that it isn't really a one size fits all solution.
Well that's not under 280 characters, nor does it make me angry! Vendetta upon you, cow herder!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Theres too much fuckin poo poo on me I can’t breathe

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

Is that actually a thing? I just figured the Q were a special race of beings.

Are there something like Stargate's Ascended Ancients in Star Trek? (and corresponding Ori, I suppose)

Even just by Encounter at Farpoint we'd seen several races in TOS of advanced beings: Trelane's people, Metrons, Thasians (Charlie X, that's a deep cut Lower Decks should hit), Organians. These were all non-corporeal, and there were some powerful still corporeal ones too, like the Excalibans and Adonis. And the Talosians, especially as their powers could reach across lightyears.

There's a whole club of advanced, godlike beings out there. The Q are probably the most powerful, but I'd bet some of the others could give them a run for their money. Especially the Douwd (Kevin Uxbridge) or the Organians, who seem to really hide their power levels.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 27, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Most of those races seem to physically be like that rather than something you can become by just thinking real hard like the ancients on Stargate. But we do have a few examples of human-like beings 'evolving' as individuals like the Stargate Ancients via enlightenment: it's basically kinda what Wesley did when he became a traveller because he was able to perceive the relationship between space and time and mind, and it happens to a guy on Lower Decks. (Although who knows, the Great Bird or the Universe Koala might've helped bootstrap him)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 27, 2022

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I don't 100% understand what this is, but the sequence at 0:12 is pretty clearly taken from an old concept drawing that Syd Mead did called "Los Angeles 2013" with the streetsign rewritten to be appropriate for SF instead of LA. And that is really cool.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The shot just before that is heavily mead-inspired too

Honestly, in terms of Trek aesthetic, TMP was more directly Mead-ish than TOS was, TOS was more googie-futurism, but it's still pretty close and a good direction to rip off. (TBH I'm never let down when a sci-fi property does a good Syd Mead rip-off. All Mass Effect's best stuff was just Syd Mead: The Videogame)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 27, 2022

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Astroman posted:

I don't get what this Roddenberry initiative is trying to accomplish. It sounds like they are trying to document props, people, sets, and whatnot to do perfect digital recreations of them even beyond what they were in the show (ie a fully digitized Enterprise with full walls and rooms, not a soundstage) and make some kind of "interactive experience"? Is it like a holodeck in real life or some VR thing?

It just doesn't seem to me we have the technology to actualize that yet...

That might actually be the best case scenario considering the last few years of various techbros trying to get blockchainy metaverse bullshit off the ground, digital recreations of props and sets and stuff could turn into that pretty quickly

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

I can't speak for the versions on Amazon Prime, but I've noticed that the version of TNG on P+ in the UK is the HD remaster, but it looks like it has some extra heavy film grain applied over it?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think I remember TNG S1 on Amazon not being HD at one point. But I may be confusing it with something else.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think that's it yeah, it is HD but it is super grainy

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I like the film grain/film stock they used in S1/S2. Also the lighting was infinitely more interesting, cardboard over the computer displays aside.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I also noticed on Netflix the heavy grain effect on the Community S1 episodes that earlier wasn't there, and still isn't for S3 onwards. Someone on the chat mentioned that Netflix has switched to HD episodes, maybe its some (relatively) cheap upscaling that causes it?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Captain Jean-Luc Picard:

Commander William Riker:

Lieutenant Commander Data:

Lieutenant Commander Geordi LaForge:

Worf, the Klingon:

Doctor Beverly Crusher:

Counselor Deanna Troi:

Guinan:

A Borg:

A Ferengi:

A Romulan:

Cross-posting in the procgen vein, all were made in NeuralBlender

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

Lieutenant Commander Geordi LaForge:

Sgt. Shaved Balls reporting for duty.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I like how most of them look like action figures repainted to look sort of like the real thing. You'd find them in a cheap toy aisle as "Stars Trance: Action Fun"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Cross-posting in the procgen vein, all were made in NeuralBlender

Not gonna lie, that version of Guinan actually looks really drat cool.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Apparently the TNG blurays have Japanese audio tracks and I highly recommend it bc anime star trek absolutely whips

They translate fake Kahless's "We are Klingon!" as KURINGON BANZAI!!!!! and you can feel it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Not gonna lie, that version of Guinan actually looks really drat cool.

I was thinking that as well; she really sells the wise elder angle.

Also my absolute favorites from the set personally are the Romulan's outfit and just... everything about that creepy-rear end Ferengi.

I mean come on wtf:

"Would I lie to you, Odo?"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Brawnfire posted:

I was thinking that as well; she really sells the wise elder angle.

Also my absolute favorites from the set personally are the Romulan's outfit and just... everything about that creepy-rear end Ferengi.

I mean come on wtf:

"Would I lie to you, Odo?"

Dubya?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/trekmovie/status/1563650898416414721?s=21&t=noXlggpwtMhJftfgfNIb8Q

Perlman owns so much