Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It’s good in old fashioneds, can add an easy twist to any citrusy drinks, good with coffee or amaro, or add vanilla and make orange cream sodas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I was thinking "reduce triple sec and use orange syrup instead" but mixing it with vodka and skipping the triple sec entirely sounds like it could be interesting

also might try adding some to coffee, thanks for the advice!

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
My wife and I will be in Washington DC from 9/15 to 9/20.

Does anyone have any cocktail bar recommendations? We usually like things on the quieter side where we can have some face time with the bartender to talk about what we like and go from there.

That usually means going in earlier but we're fine with that. Good food is a bonus but not a dealbreaker.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Eaton has a pretty nice one. "Allegory"

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
What kind of vodka do people here like? My go to was always Tito's but the last time I went to the liquor store one of the employees said there were much better brands for the price, but can't remember what he told me.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Kirkland signature.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Smirinoff. It doesn’t really matter to me at all.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I just picked up a 750mL of Summum for $13.99 and it's actually really good! Very smooth and just a tiny bit of vanilla sweet.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Klauser posted:

My wife and I will be in Washington DC from 9/15 to 9/20.

Does anyone have any cocktail bar recommendations? We usually like things on the quieter side where we can have some face time with the bartender to talk about what we like and go from there.

That usually means going in earlier but we're fine with that. Good food is a bonus but not a dealbreaker.

There are a number of truly exceptional cocktail bars in DC. Where are you staying?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Koaxke posted:

What kind of vodka do people here like? My go to was always Tito's but the last time I went to the liquor store one of the employees said there were much better brands for the price, but can't remember what he told me.

Stick with Tito's.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pander posted:

Stick with Tito's.

Tito's is solid but overhyped; if you want something in that style try Tower IMO

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Sobieski is just as good as any of those. It’s vodka.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've heard, if you can, just buy something local. Vodka is usually in the drink just to put alcohol in it, not flavor.

E: also, someone gave me a bottle of Frangelico. What can I do with this?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Tito's is a scam on such a huge scale that I can't help but admire it. They buy manufactured corn ethanol at high proof, pass it through their own charcoal filters (to debatable effect), dilute it, and sell it as Tito's Vodka. Buy anything locally made from raw ingredients and it'll taste better.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Absolut Elyx is legitimately great.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Anything in a glass bottle that starts with an "S" is fine: Smirnoff, Sobieski, Skyy, Svedka, Stolichnaya. Of those, buy what's cheapest.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

Kirkland signature.
This may very state to state, but here you don’t even need a membership to purchase alcohol. It’s like $13 for a 1.75 and is perfectly good vodka.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Basically, any vodka that doesn't taste like paint thinner is fine. There are very tiny differences you can taste if you're drinking unchilled shots, but that's it. Vodka is meant to be flavorless and indistinguishable and any use other than as a mixer or chilled shots is the wrong way to go. Premium vodka is a scam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75bAgWXLh3g

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
How difficult is it to get a bottle of Cynar 70 in NYC? I've been "keeping an eye out" for like a year and haven't run into a bottle that I've noticed. Any shops that are known to have it, or is it too difficult to get this way and I would need to put real effort into it?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Pander posted:

Stick with Tito's.

gently caress that noise, tito's is a giant scam.

There is definitely a sweet spot for vodka where it stops tasting like paint thinner, but going past that is pointless. I've been a big fan of Wodka Vodka for cocktailing.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Fart Car '97 posted:

There are a number of truly exceptional cocktail bars in DC. Where are you staying?

We're staying at The Jefferson.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Scythe posted:

How difficult is it to get a bottle of Cynar 70 in NYC? I've been "keeping an eye out" for like a year and haven't run into a bottle that I've noticed. Any shops that are known to have it, or is it too difficult to get this way and I would need to put real effort into it?

I think it’s a back order situation, at least it was a few weeks ago. Astor would be my first check, unless you’re far from downtown.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

bloody ghost titty posted:

I think it’s a back order situation, at least it was a few weeks ago. Astor would be my first check, unless you’re far from downtown.

I’m in north BK. Checked Astor’s site first (naturally), they’re out of stock. I’ll keep looking, maybe check their site every week or two and head over if it ever shows in stock.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Lmao, here is an article about the dirt on Tito’s: https://www.eater.com/2019/10/16/20893218/titos-handmade-vodka-craft-spirit

They pass column distilled grain spirit through a pot still like crystal head passes it through diamonds.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That makes it sound like there's a market for civet vodka

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Non alcohol chat: the Seedlip botanical spirits are good with sodas.

I'm currently enjoying the Spice 94 (cardamom heavy) with Fentiman's Muddled Lime Ginger Beer. My brother has the Grove 42 (citrus) with Fever Tree regular tonic. The Garden 108 is dill forward and goes well with lemonade.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

god bless fernet & coke

e: next time I re-up I'm trying the mint stuff too

e2: I do 2oz in with a regular can of Coke Zero but according to my dad back in The Home Country they do a 1:1 fernet/coke mix which is nuts lol

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
So what's the proper rum to use for the most authentic (or best) 1944 Mai Tai in TYOOL 2022?

Also unrelated but who makes the best grapefruit bitters? I'm really impressed with Scrappy's celery bitters so I'm tempted to try theirs. Bittermen's I've seen used specifically in recipes somewhere before but they're "hopped" so maybe not as flexible as plain grapefruit. Fee Bros are cheaper which I guess counts for something.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I like denizen 8 for my Mai tais, if I'm feeling fancy ill sub half an oz here or there with something with a bit of character.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've come to the conclusion that Chartreuse Green dominates drinks and any recipe should be scaled back, accordingly.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Waltzing Along posted:

I've come to the conclusion that Chartreuse Green dominates drinks and any recipe should be scaled back, accordingly.

Nah.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

my kinda ape posted:

So what's the proper rum to use for the most authentic (or best) 1944 Mai Tai in TYOOL 2022?

I use something very close to the Smuggler's Cove Mai Tai.

3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
1/2 ounce orange curaçao (Pierre Ferrand preferred)
1/4 ounce orgeat
1/4 ounce rich demerara simple syrup (with a 2:1 ratio of water to sugar) — use real, full-flavored sugar in this drink
2 ounces aged pot still or blended rum

Play with the rum and depending on if you want a lighter Mai Tai or a heavier one, I would look at Rhum Clement VSOP or Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Blonde for light and Smith & Cross combined with Plantation "O.F.T.D.". I tend to lean towards the heavier side of things though.

Waltzing Along posted:

How can I scale it back when I'm just drinking Chartreuse?

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 30, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Waltzing Along posted:

I've come to the conclusion that Chartreuse Green dominates drinks and any recipe should have its other ingredients deleted as superfluous.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

obi_ant posted:

How can I scale it back when I'm just drinking Chartreuse?

Serve with ice?

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

obi_ant posted:

I use something very close to the Smuggler's Cove Mai Tai.

1/4 ounce rich demerara simple syrup (with a 2:1 ratio of water to sugar) — use real, full-flavored sugar in this drink

Shouldn't it be 2:1 sugar to water? Regardless this is usually what I make and it's delicious though my favorite Mai Tai is made by Monkey Pod in Maui. They use a homemade macadamia orgeat and do a passionfruit foam on top. So good.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
It's good in sparkling water (Chartreuse)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Any recommendations for cocktails using St. Germain? Most of what I'm seeing from Google is "neat, or with soda or champagne"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Any recommendations for cocktails using St. Germain? Most of what I'm seeing from Google is "neat, or with soda or champagne"

Ghost flower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I like the Old fashioned riff from death & co - 2 oz gin (they call for Plymouth but I don’t have it), 1/2 oz St Germain, orange bitters and grapefruit twist.