Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol is the command zone hiring a slave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc4WJ0yXpzo&t=139s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm willing to admit I am bad at card evaluation, but I don't see that 3cmc rock being all that impactful outside of a very few niche decks.

It's not awful, and I also really like seeing them try to make 3 cost rocks more enticing, but I don't think this is quite there.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just popping in to say Arcane Signet really doesn’t belong in mono-color commander decks, certainly not before Mind Stone. Maybe in a few Artifact focus brews or decks with bizarrely high color-pip requirements, or mono-color Commanders who cost exactly 4 so that signet enables playing them on T3 (like Krenko). It being this all-important Omni-card that reduces all decks by 1 forgone slot is totally overblown IMO.

Free ur Mind

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bust Rodd posted:

Just popping in to say Arcane Signet really doesn’t belong in mono-color commander decks, certainly not before Mind Stone. Maybe in a few Artifact focus brews or decks with bizarrely high color-pip requirements, or mono-color Commanders who cost exactly 4 so that signet enables playing them on T3 (like Krenko). It being this all-important Omni-card that reduces all decks by 1 forgone slot is totally overblown IMO.

Free ur Mind

yeah people weren't exactly playing the uncommon diamonds in every single monocolor deck before signet

though i do run it in mono-black

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I am going to make two tribal decks, green white elephants and something else, idk. I was going to make cats but I don't want the other deck to also be green white. Elephants are locked in because my girlfriend loves elephants and the deck is going to be a gift, I'm fluid on what the second deck will be.

Anyway we're gonna be playing them 1v1 and I've never built a commander deck before. I did watch a bunch of videos so I think I get the basics, but are there any major newbie traps I might run into once I start searching for cards and ordering in bulk? Each deck will be pretty inexpensive and I'll be using super cheap alternatives for most staples over $2.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

big cummers ONLY posted:

I am going to make two tribal decks, green white elephants and something else, idk. I was going to make cats but I don't want the other deck to also be green white. Elephants are locked in because my girlfriend loves elephants and the deck is going to be a gift, I'm fluid on what the second deck will be.

Anyway we're gonna be playing them 1v1 and I've never built a commander deck before. I did watch a bunch of videos so I think I get the basics, but are there any major newbie traps I might run into once I start searching for cards and ordering in bulk? Each deck will be pretty inexpensive and I'll be using super cheap alternatives for most staples over $2.

Don't be afraid to cut pet cards, if the decks are specifically going to be made for 1v1 EDH try not to have too much stuff in both decks that will keep the other from doing what they do the point is to watch them pop off and have a good time. If there isn't a cheaper option for a certain card(s) don't be afraid to find good proxies with like alt art that vibe with what you're trying to build.

I made a Cat/Dog Naya deck for my girlfriend a few years back finding the right sort of mana curve to make it work in a pod and not just 1v1 was the challenge for me. As well as finding enough of the "dogs" part since good cats are fuckin everywhere. I was proud of myself for finding some lightning greaves from a Secret Lair that had the art of the dogs chewing all over them, and the Leonin Warleader art that made them tiny kittens for fun flavor.

Oh yeah go through the different blocs/sets on your land art that can have a fun personalization, same with finding proxy basic lands that could have loxodon art on them.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 26, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm gonna make a Hazezon deck if I get his new card.

Lol at getting the old one. Maybe a proxy token.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wouldn't bother with Tamar, because he exiles all sand warriors, even Shaper of Sand's, changelings, and warriors made sands with arcane adaption.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Honestly, you are better off just printing a proxy of the OG, regardless of the price. There's so much oracle text and it's been updated so much, you're better off with the current wording.

The new one will likely be under $5 shortly. It's not going to be burning down any metas.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

So, I find myself with 87 non-lands cards I want to put in my Rebbec/Silas Renn deck. What tips can I get on how to cut that down?

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Something I do when looking for cuts is arrange all the cards by CMC/MV, and cut things that are either the most expensive or that you have a lot of (you don't want twenty 4 drops for example).

Also pay attention to the CMC/MV of your commander, if you know you're going to want to play your commander ASAP every game, keep that CMC/MV slot light, as you know you'll always have something to play at that cost.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

LanceKing2200 posted:

Something I do when looking for cuts is arrange all the cards by CMC/MV, and cut things that are either the most expensive or that you have a lot of (you don't want twenty 4 drops for example).

Also pay attention to the CMC/MV of your commander, if you know you're going to want to play your commander ASAP every game, keep that CMC/MV slot light, as you know you'll always have something to play at that cost.

Alright, gonna cut a lot of 3 and 4 cmv cards then haha.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

MonsieurChoc posted:

So, I find myself with 87 non-lands cards I want to put in my Rebbec/Silas Renn deck. What tips can I get on how to cut that down?

Check the commander partner combo on EDHrec for the higher synergy and most commonly used cards would be my next step. You don't have to follow their decklist to the letter of course, but it's a good resource for seeing what other players are using in that deck and why.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Reynold posted:

Check the commander partner combo on EDHrec for the higher synergy and most commonly used cards would be my next step. You don't have to follow their decklist to the letter of course, but it's a good resource for seeing what other players are using in that deck and why.

That's how I started, but now I'm at too many cards haha. You do want some CMC variety in a Rebbec deck to cover good protection.

Got it down to 123 cards for now: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/AJ3qFFvJp0SYNWo4rJNHHQ

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's how I started, but now I'm at too many cards haha. You do want some CMC variety in a Rebbec deck to cover good protection.

Got it down to 123 cards for now: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/AJ3qFFvJp0SYNWo4rJNHHQ

Are all 19 vehicles necessary? Crewing a giant plow is hilarious but if you had another vehicle out which would you crew. And the two mana diamonds. And how many targets does ashnod transmorgant actually have?

But don't take my word as gospel, I'm a poo poo tier deck builder.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

big cummers ONLY posted:

. Elephants are locked in because my girlfriend loves elephants and the deck is going to be a gift,

sounds like a very...Generous Gift

I'll see myself out

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

MasterBuilder posted:

Are all 19 vehicles necessary? Crewing a giant plow is hilarious but if you had another vehicle out which would you crew. And the two mana diamonds. And how many targets does ashnod transmorgant actually have?

It's mostly for Rebbec herself.

I'm probably gonna swap some of those vehicles for artifact creatures, yeah. I jsut like vehicles, I think they're neat!

I can replace the two mana diamonds with stuff if they're bad. I have no clue how to make a Commander mana base lol.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

That's what I'll tell her if she asks how much I spent even though I'm gonna stay under $20 for both decks since we are on a tight budget. I have a ton of cards from worldwake through avacyn restored, some amonkhet, some 2018 dominaria, assorted other random things. Hoping I can cobble together a bunch of elephants into a coherent curve even if the synergy isn't great.

I keep looking at the tribe page on edhrec and I am just paralyzed. Everything thematically appropriate vs elephants is either green or white. I do want to make a cats deck to fight a birds deck, though.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

big cummers ONLY posted:

That's what I'll tell her if she asks how much I spent even though I'm gonna stay under $20 for both decks since we are on a tight budget. I have a ton of cards from worldwake through avacyn restored, some amonkhet, some 2018 dominaria, assorted other random things. Hoping I can cobble together a bunch of elephants into a coherent curve even if the synergy isn't great.

I keep looking at the tribe page on edhrec and I am just paralyzed. Everything thematically appropriate vs elephants is either green or white. I do want to make a cats deck to fight a birds deck, though.

The answer is always, anything with Banding, if you really want to see her deck do stuff. :v:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

big cummers ONLY posted:

Are you strictly adhering to elephants? Because I could make you a completely sick G/W budget casual list with Loxodon, Elephants, and maybe a few changelings (they are elephants! They just happen to also be everything else!).

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

big cummers ONLY posted:

I have absolutely no idea if it's true or not, but cartoons from when I was little convinced me that elephants are afraid of mice. You can make a pretty kickin' rad rat deck that's black (maybe splashing another color if you want).

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Aranan posted:

I have absolutely no idea if it's true or not, but cartoons from when I was little convinced me that elephants are afraid of mice. You can make a pretty kickin' rad rat deck that's black (maybe splashing another color if you want).

Aw hell. This is genius.

Don't go outta your way Bust Rodd, I'm hoping I can put together something functional from random crap in my collection and avoid buying cards as much as possible! Changeling won't work, my girl wants to look at fuckin ELEPHANTS

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

MasterBuilder posted:

Your username does not reflect this!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Framboise posted:

Your username does not reflect this!

Building legos and building MtG decks are very different things, my friend.

Aranan posted:

I have absolutely no idea if it's true or not, but cartoons from when I was little convinced me that elephants are afraid of mice.

This is a myth...kind of. Elephants have lovely eye sight, and anything that can zip/scurry around them fast enough to surprise them freaks them out. This goes for snakes and any number of other small animals. But the idea that mice can climb up their trunks to suffocate them or whatever is false.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

big cummers ONLY posted:

Aw hell. This is genius.

Don't go outta your way Bust Rodd, I'm hoping I can put together something functional from random crap in my collection and avoid buying cards as much as possible! Changeling won't work, my girl wants to look at fuckin ELEPHANTS

Screencap every frame of the march of the pink elephants sequence from Dumbo, print them out and glue them over the artwork of the changelings

Edit: and then have her commander altered to be Tony Jaa's character from The Protector

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

Building legos and building MtG decks are very different things, my friend.

A Master Builder would be a master of all things building. :colbert:

I kid. I've been playing for 6 years and I still suck at building. Anything I attempt to build for cEDH is just me throwing a bunch of plug n' play shells together with niche cards filling the gaps.

Don't even get me started on attempting to build for lower power levels either. Everything I touch is just imbued with the desire to melt faces.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Aranan posted:

I'm willing to admit I am bad at card evaluation, but I don't see that 3cmc rock being all that impactful outside of a very few niche decks.

It's not awful, and I also really like seeing them try to make 3 cost rocks more enticing, but I don't think this is quite there.

This rock has utility aside from giving mana. It can give more than one mana which is nice because of being able to tap legendaries, but tapping legendaries can also be used to save you from goad mechanics. So additional mana over two mana rocks while also making some important creatures evasive makes this as good as some two mana rocks.
This will go good into my voltron deck that I'm trying to keep $value down on by not putting in expensive rocks. I'm pairing Rograkh and Ardenn, so I can tap Ardenn for extra mana and protect it from goad or forced block. (My LGS has a lot of goad decks right now.)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://articles.starcitygames.com/magic-the-gathering/the-new-cards-of-the-dominaria-united-commander-decks/

"Obsidian Obelisk

I believe we’ve gotten the folks in Studio X to focus on three-mana rocks with compelling abilities, as opposed to making another Arcane Signet.  The only thing to say here is that this card was in development before that became part of the accepted path forward."

Guess we're gonna have an influx of [new] 3CMC mana rocks in Commander precons going forward.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

As long as at least some of them are good in some decks, I'll be happy.

Though that should absolutely not stop them from reprinting the existing 2 mana rocks, some of which are still several dollars each.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

https://articles.starcitygames.com/magic-the-gathering/the-new-cards-of-the-dominaria-united-commander-decks/

"Obsidian Obelisk

I believe we’ve gotten the folks in Studio X to focus on three-mana rocks with compelling abilities, as opposed to making another Arcane Signet.  The only thing to say here is that this card was in development before that became part of the accepted path forward."

Guess we're gonna have an influx of [new] 3CMC mana rocks in Commander precons going forward.

This is not how eternal formats work, Sheldon, you utter buffoon.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Since wotc never wants to just cram all of them into every precon they can, I look forward to Secret Lair: Another Box of Rocks, with all 11 Talismans and the bonus card being Fellwar Stone

MSRP $129.99

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The buried lede in all of this is that they’re making cool 3-drop artifacts because we’ve literally maxed out on 2-drops. We don’t need more 2-drop ramp, we’ve got everything we could ever want or need at 2 mana.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bust Rodd posted:

The buried lede in all of this is that they’re making cool 3-drop artifacts because we’ve literally maxed out on 2-drops. We don’t need more 2-drop ramp, we’ve got everything we could ever want or need at 2 mana.

Basically yes. 2 drops contribute to the speed of the format more than anything. Anything else they could see that would be worth printing would be more of the same.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Heath posted:

Basically yes. 2 drops contribute to the speed of the format more than anything. Anything else they could see that would be worth printing would be more of the same.

It's an eternal format. Printing more Colossal Dreadmaws doesn't stop people from playing their Thoracles.

2-drop rocks are already at full saturation for any deck that would use them (and honestly, there's still all the moxen). Making a 2-drop that taps for {C} or {1} and has a side of utility is making a card that will see play, in some form.

They can print lockets/keystones/banners until the heat death of the universe and it won't move the needle on format speed because you can't unring that bell. But, another Liquimetal Torque or Everflowing Chalice? That's interesting. That will see play. And it doesn't speed up the format one bit.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
A one CMC rock that taps for (1) and ETBs tapped.

I’m waiting for it.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

That's just ridiculous. Obviously it'll be [Suspend - 1]

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

AlternateNu posted:

A one CMC rock that taps for (1) and ETBs tapped.

I’m waiting for it.

This is just an elf though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Myr Druid and it's also creature type elf

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Played some Commander today. Pitched a Diluvian Primordial in response to a Living Death. When the Primordial came back I targeted a Traumatize (aimed at myself), a Splendid Reclamation, and the Living Death that had just resolved. It was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Played some Commander today. Pitched a Diluvian Primordial in response to a Living Death. When the Primordial came back I targeted a Traumatize (aimed at myself), a Splendid Reclamation, and the Living Death that had just resolved. It was great.

This is what EDH is all about.

Bust Rodd posted:

This is just an elf though

A 0/1 kobold that costs (R), taps for (1), and has haste.

I’m waiting for it