Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I mean it's not really a synonym for said. It means something like 'exclaimed'. You know - a sudden eruption. Of words.

e: "by Jove, a new page!" she ejaculated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

ynohtna posted:

Hey, I'm wuthering here!

she wuthering on my heights

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair there were moments where Wuthering Heights seemed to be poking fun at the expectations of the time with some backhanded moments like "She had become beautifully pale after years of doing absolutely nothing" once Catherine is sent to live with the Lintons.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Theres at least one Holmes story where someone ejaculates out an open window.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

she wuthering on my heights

call it Kate's Bush

OK I'm done now

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

SiKboy posted:

If it was "A Study in Scarlet," please see a urologist immediately

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Conan the Barbarian ejaculates all the time too.

Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xZQ0YZ7ls4

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SiKboy posted:

Tristram Shandy does this as well, but the window slams down on his dick and he loses a few inches.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think JK Rowling was the very last English author to use 'ejaculate' in that sense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That being an image we ALL deserve to mentally picture,

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CJacobs posted:

shake your mother fuckin back shorty / ah snape snape snape / a say what /snape snape snape snape / lets get it goin / snape snape snape / come on aww snape snape / snape snape snape ahh ahh / that ain't crunk enough

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

HopperUK posted:

I mean it's not really a synonym for said. It means something like 'exclaimed'. You know - a sudden eruption. Of words.

e: "by Jove, a new page!" she ejaculated

It's not a perfect synonym, but the basic action performed by the verb is the same

"by Jove, a new page!" she said

works just fine to convey the same point. The sudden eruption part is better conveyed in other ways than using a weird "said" alternative.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

"I'm cumming! " he ejaculated.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

CJacobs posted:

Did Snape cause Slughorn to ejaculate, or is Snape's ejaculate Slughorn?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MrUnderbridge posted:

"I'm cumming! " he ejaculated.

Oh come now, be more descriptive than THAT when you're ejaculating.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Nothing will ever top "The Traveller's Story of a Terribly Strange Bed" by Wilkie Collins:

quote:

The old soldier wagged his head, rolled his goggle-eyes, until I expected to see them slip out of their sockets; placed his dirty forefinger by the side of his broken nose; solemnly ejaculated "Coffee!" and immediately ran off into an inner room.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Picture I'm Drew Carey on Whose line pulling out a card that says times when they should absolutely not have sent a poet

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

"I'm ejaculating!" he cummed.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
we're all thinking it about Rowling lately, and it's been tweeted to death, but I think it needs to be stated bluntly:

she uses "___ said" way too much

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

SiKboy posted:

No, that's the Folsom Street Fair.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i’ve heard at least one story of a dude jerking it from a window at the folsom street fair. i imagine it wasn’t the first or the last time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Analytic Engine posted:

we're all thinking it about Rowling lately, and it's been tweeted to death, but I think it needs to be stated bluntly:

she uses "___ said" way too much

It's standard writing instruction to use "said" whenever possible. You're only meant to use an adjective when the way in which the spoken words are presented is more important than the specific content. For example, take "'JK Rowling is a bigoted cow and a lovely writer'". If you add "... he said" then it's an opinion to be judged on its merits. If you instead add "... he shouted", the emphasis of the sentence becomes the anger of the speaker and now you're judging what was said on his merits.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah I've always understood "said" to be sort of invisible in prose dialogue writing. Sometimes you really notice it but then again sometimes I get stoned and "were" seems like Old English so ymmv

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah I've always understood "said" to be sort of invisible in prose dialogue writing. Sometimes you really notice it but then again sometimes I get stoned and "were" seems like Old English so ymmv

Yeah, this is what I've always felt and been taught: 'said' is so neutral it's effectively invisible in most contexts and just exists to help the dialog along.

Generally speaking, if you're noticing a passage of writing uses 'said' a lot, the problem is actually somewhere else, because it means the writing is so unengaging that you've started to pay more attention to word usage than the actual intended meaning.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Ice T went from recording a song named Cop Killer to playing a cop on movies and tv.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsaA903oxvc
COMBAT

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The Fifty Shades of Grey books have more use of the word "crap" and its derivatives than any other book published. I've not heard a person say "crap" like that since I was a kid, and the first or second time she used it in the book it stood out. She goes on to use it... hang on, I actually wrote this down while reading them ten years ago.

Fifty Shades of Grey:
Crap: 39
Double Crap: 7
Triple-Crap: 1
Holy Crap: 40
Crapola: 1

89 craps

Fifty Shades Darker:
Crap: 26
Double Crap: 1
Holy Crap: 2

29 craps

Fifty Shades Freed:

Crap: 24
Holy Crap: 19
Holy loving Crap: 1

45 craps

Total: 163 craps. 1 crap every 9.97 pages.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I remember reading Stephen King's On Writing in high school and there was a section where he said Rowling was a terrible writer for using too many adjectives instead of "said".

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
He right, just use said in most cases, most people can’t be McCarthy and ignore attribution completely.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think writing advice has gone back and forth over the years on whether it's better to just use "said" repeatedly as an invisible expression or to vary it up to avoid repeating yourself. Like Cleretic said, if you're noticing a problem with either approach it's probably not a matter of word usage but that the text itself is boring. In particular if you're using either "said" or alternatives to "said" enough to worry about it you're probably writing too much like a script and need to have your characters actually doing things more rather than just having pure dialogue.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Better dead than said.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“Orientalism is a strain that runs through the nineteenth-century British imagination,” said Said.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Thankfully we have condoms & penicillin now

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Said also helps keep it clear who is talking in dialogues that involve multiple characters.

It can be a nightmare trying to do prose with more than two characters in a scene and everyone is talking without it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Burkion posted:

Said also helps keep it clear who is talking in dialogues that involve multiple characters.

It can be a nightmare trying to do prose with more than two characters in a scene and everyone is talking without it.

Austen does that several times in Pride and Prejudice and while you can work out who is saying everything it shouldn't be something you need to think about consciously.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

I think writing advice has gone back and forth over the years on whether it's better to just use "said" repeatedly as an invisible expression or to vary it up to avoid repeating yourself. Like Cleretic said, if you're noticing a problem with either approach it's probably not a matter of word usage but that the text itself is boring. In particular if you're using either "said" or alternatives to "said" enough to worry about it you're probably writing too much like a script and need to have your characters actually doing things more rather than just having pure dialogue.

Newspaper writing is 97% "said." About once a month, I throw in a "joked" on a quote where it's not obvious. Maybe once a year an "explained."

Newspaper writing may be why I've grown to hate flowery writing. I'm an overexplainer, but those lengthy explanations are done in concise sentences.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doesn't help that I think it goes back and forth over the years and with different traditions of writing.

credburn posted:

The Fifty Shades of Grey books have more use of the word "crap" and its derivatives than any other book published. I've not heard a person say "crap" like that since I was a kid, and the first or second time she used it in the book it stood out. She goes on to use it... hang on, I actually wrote this down while reading them ten years ago.

Fifty Shades of Grey:

89 craps

Fifty Shades Darker:

29 craps

Fifty Shades Freed:

45 craps

Can really tell that it's fanfic with the names changed.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Those books sound pretty crappy.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

credburn posted:

Fifty Shades of Grey:

89 craps

Fifty Shades Darker:

29 craps

Fifty Shades Freed:

45 craps

this is the kind of hard-hitting stastistician-wet-dream data science we need after Dataclysm solved online dating

Analytic Engine has a new favorite as of 13:05 on Aug 29, 2022

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
"Crap" is probably the worst word Mormons are allowed to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I don't think E.L. James is Mormon, that would be Stephenie Meyer (the one who actually wrote Twilight/was later used as a basis for Fifty Shades)

I feel like the large amount of craps are due to her just trying and failing to Americanize things?? Like if somebody born and raised in the US tried to write a novel based in the UK and assumed the best way to get that across was if every character interjected with a "bloody [x]!" every two minutes