Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

teethgrinder posted:

I never understood the appeal of LastPass. Like why the gently caress can't I share passwords with users I just generated without logging out and into the app again. And also more than half the shares I sent people would show up as blank to them. I'd have to resend it sometimes up to six times before it finally worked. For all I know that poo poo has been fixed by now, but it was like that for over two years at least.

The big appeal of LastPass was they had a multi-platform, cloud hosted product with (at times at least, IIRC they fell behind on Android at least as new APIs were released that allowed smoother fill integration) relatively usable auto-fill autofill workflows across platforms with modern design and UX....for free. When I first got LastPass, I thought the the experience was better than the free open source options (e.g. Bitwarden, KeyPass). Once they started charging as much as 1Password for a complete solution (believe now free tier only includes support for 1 platform) 1Password was clearly a better option IMO (especially when you consider LastPass has also had more security issues).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is there a trick to getting Spotlight to work on NFS shares? I can view the NFS share (via unraid) just fine, but Hazel is having an issue reading the file info and spotlight seems to be the culprit via a google. Help me.

https://www.noodlesoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=309#:~:text=Usually%20that%20error%20is%20because,turned%20on%20for%20that%20volume.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

kri kri posted:

Is there a trick to getting Spotlight to work on NFS shares? I can view the NFS share (via unraid) just fine, but Hazel is having an issue reading the file info and spotlight seems to be the culprit via a google. Help me.

https://www.noodlesoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=309#:~:text=Usually%20that%20error%20is%20because,turned%20on%20for%20that%20volume.

External mounts typically aren’t included in spotlight IIRC. You may have to add it to the spotlight via finder settings I think?

Violator
May 15, 2003

I believe for my Synology I had to turn on indexing in the Synology settings and then Spotlight was able to use that data. I think the network device has to do all of the indexing of its own data and then Spotlight just reads that metadata, it doesn’t generate its own for non-local drives.

It can work because I do use Hazel to move files from my local drive to my NAS as part of a archiving routine.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I recall a great app for sharing snippets of code and GitHub gists but for the life of me I cannot recall it. I want to save code snippets and share them to a GitHub gist and allow others to share there's. Does anything know anything good for this?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Splinter posted:

(especially when you consider LastPass has also had more security issues).

Speaking of... lol

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
They're really taking the wrong lessions from the "sharing economy"

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
So posted this in the wrong thread

track day bro! posted:

I don't know if this is a hardware or software thing but is driving me insane. On a 2018 mac mini if I hold down a key basically the keyboard stops working in that app. I thought my keyboard was hosed but it's happening on two different

If I try to use the accent picker to write something in spanish it basically kills any other keys within that app until you quit the app. Apart from spotlight which just stops working until you restart.

This just decided to happen at the end of my work day while i'm winding down ffs.

Ok I created another user account and it works fine. What the gently caress, ive got no accessibility options on and ive literally never touched any settings under that or keyboard settings.....

If you search for these symptoms nothing comes up apart from a million macbook keyboard results. Is there a general Macos thread?

tldr, holding down a key for a few seconds just kills all keyboard activity in any app until you restart the app. Anybody seen this?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

track day bro! posted:

So posted this in the wrong thread

tldr, holding down a key for a few seconds just kills all keyboard activity in any app until you restart the app. Anybody seen this?

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Reset PRAM/SMC.

Go to

code:
~/Library/Preferences/

and delete any com.apple plist file that has the word keyboard in it (just search keyboard in that folder).

Reboot

This will reset any keyboard related settings.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Cheers, I’ll give that a go. Also I conveniently remembered this had Jamf on it with god knows what settings applied before I unenrolled it a few months ago.

If that doesn’t fix the issue, it wouldn’t be that hard to wipe it and do a fresh install. Just a bit frustrating as the drat thing decided to play up just as I was finishing work.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Cheers, I’ll give that a go. Also I conveniently remembered this had Jamf on it with god knows what settings applied before I unenrolled it a few months ago.

If that doesn’t fix the issue, it wouldn’t be that hard to wipe it and do a fresh install. Just a bit frustrating as the drat thing decided to play up just as I was finishing work.

IMO if it had JAMF you should be doing a full wipe if you no longer have it. JAMF leaves all sorts of garbage you don't want, that could be reporting back to your old company.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

If I didn’t say it before. I’m saying it now or again. I love fig.io

Violator
May 15, 2003

jaegerx posted:

If I didn’t say it before. I’m saying it now or again. I love fig.io

Looks interesting. I’ve been playing with warp.dev lately might look at this.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Violator posted:

Looks interesting. I’ve been playing with warp.dev lately might look at this.

I looked at that for 5 minutes, a login to the terminal? no thanks.

Violator
May 15, 2003

jaegerx posted:

I looked at that for 5 minutes, a login to the terminal? no thanks.

I just installed fig and had to input my email and enter a confirmation code to start the app. Not too different than warp?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know of a good FTP client for MacOS?

I was using a trial of Transmit 5 a few years ago but now the trial is done. I don't want to pay a subscription for it and there's literally no way to buy it on the website anymore since they took the payment page and whatnot down. I guess it's DOA in terms of development?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

I was using a trial of Transmit 5 a few years ago but now the trial is done. I don't want to pay a subscription for it and there's literally no way to buy it on the website anymore since they took the payment page and whatnot down. I guess it's DOA in terms of development?

what?

what year is this? Have I traveled back in time. Is lowtax still alive? Can I invest in google?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

CyberDuck isn’t awful and is free if you don’t want to donate.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

I just went to Panic’s Transmit page and there’s a big fuckoff “Buy it” button right underneath the logo/title. It’s $45.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

You're asking the wrong question, Why are you using ftp?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

its HIM posted:

I just went to Panic’s Transmit page and there’s a big fuckoff “Buy it” button right underneath the logo/title. It’s $45.

I just tried this on my Windows machine and it works fine, but when I try on the Mac I get:

Weird. I'll just buy it on Windows then I guess.

Thanks!

Also I'm using FTP to upload to my website...don't know of any other way to do it, really...it's just how I've always done it. Unless you don't need to use those anymore? I'm open to try it a different way. :v:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

I just tried this on my Windows machine and it works fine, but when I try on the Mac I get:

Weird. I'll just buy it on Windows then I guess.

Thanks!

Also I'm using FTP to upload to my website...don't know of any other way to do it, really...it's just how I've always done it. Unless you don't need to use those anymore? I'm open to try it a different way. :v:

Sftp. Please.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Sftp. Please.

Is it possible for Mac do SFTP natively?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is it possible for Mac do SFTP natively?

Yes, it's part of ssh. I can give you like a 10 different ways to upload your poo poo to your personal website, but please stop using ftp. It's an insecure protocol.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah everyone is now using SFTP or better..

Transmit is up to version 5, supports uploading to nearly every major cloud service in existence and had its code overhauled to provide faster transfers.. they even made a Mac App Store version which I believe for years they refused to..

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol use Fetch like an OG https://fetchsoftworks.com/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Yes, it's part of ssh. I can give you like a 10 different ways to upload your poo poo to your personal website, but please stop using ftp. It's an insecure protocol.

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah everyone is now using SFTP or better..

Transmit is up to version 5, supports uploading to nearly every major cloud service in existence and had its code overhauled to provide faster transfers.. they even made a Mac App Store version which I believe for years they refused to..

I'll switch to SFTP then! I'm interested in learning about different ways to upload to the site if a standalone program isn't always the only option.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
If you are updating code the "proper" way is to store everything in git and have it deploy to production using hooks. If you are uploading a bunch of random files, use rsync or some syncing tool like sync thing. If you want to adopt unix sysadmining as a lifestyle you can send zfs snapshots.

At a minimum you should be using scp, sftp, webdav, samba over vpn, etc as a direct replacement for ftp because ftp sends your password in plain text and can be stolen easily on shared wifi.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Perplx posted:

If you are updating code the "proper" way is to store everything in git and have it deploy to production using hooks. If you are uploading a bunch of random files, use rsync or some syncing tool like sync thing. If you want to adopt unix sysadmining as a lifestyle you can send zfs snapshots.

At a minimum you should be using scp, sftp, webdav, samba over vpn, etc as a direct replacement for ftp because ftp sends your password in plain text and can be stolen easily on shared wifi.

What he said. I dunno who your host is but that’s the way. Don’t use ftp anymore.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Perplx posted:

If you are updating code the "proper" way is to store everything in git and have it deploy to production using hooks.

I've used Git before in classes but didn't think about using it for my personal site.

Does the repository in Git have to be public or can I push it to a private one ?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've used Git before in classes but didn't think about using it for my personal site.

Does the repository in Git have to be public or can I push it to a private one ?

gitlab has free private repos, I think GitHub gives you 1 free private repo

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

jaegerx posted:

gitlab has free private repos, I think GitHub gives you 1 free private repo

Nah, you can have a ton of private repos. I have like six.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Kibner posted:

Nah, you can have a ton of private repos. I have like six.

ah, I dunno, I have a pro license for it now for all my poo poo. Was kinda worth it for GitHub.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yeah, GitHub has unlimited free repos that can be public or private

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Don’t just stop using FTP. Disable it on your server.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

jaegerx posted:

What he said. I dunno who your host is but that’s the way. Don’t use ftp anymore.

I think lots of folks say FTP but they're almost always using SFTP. In my experience most hosts force SFTP these days...I hope.

If you've got to use SFTP, Transmit is the best, but Cyberduck or FileZilla will do as well.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I realise that this is the very definition of 'long shot' but have any of you goons developing on AS boxes compiled ffmpeg from source?

If so, what was the build time and what were the specs of your machine?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Perplx posted:

My server is LithiumHosting and I don't know how to get SSH stuff working for it. I think that's outside of this thread's scope and probably need to pop into one of the networking threads or something.

Thanks for the help though! I might stick with Transmit 5 until I can figure out how to make SSH work so I can use git.

frogbs posted:

I think lots of folks say FTP but they're almost always using SFTP. In my experience most hosts force SFTP these days...I hope.

If you've got to use SFTP, Transmit is the best, but Cyberduck or FileZilla will do as well.

Yah I think I meant SFTP too, honestly never paid attention to the differences.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I wouldn't worry, "ftp" is often used as interchangeably for "sftp" in my experience. Anything drag & drop is "ftp" to 99% of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

binarysmurf posted:

I realise that this is the very definition of 'long shot' but have any of you goons developing on AS boxes compiled ffmpeg from source?

If so, what was the build time and what were the specs of your machine?

You're in luck, your post reminded me I hadn't updated my macports packages in a while and ffmpeg is one of them. When it upgraded ffmpeg, it built it from source. I didn't get an exact time because the thing where you automatically update all macports packages isn't great for timing just one of them, but the ffmpeg build started with my clock showing 10:45 and ended with it showing 10:47, so it was approximately 2 minutes. 16" M1 Max MBP with 32GB RAM.