Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I remain of the opinion that trump would've felt the allure of having a room that you could charge literally millions of dollars for a minute of access to because 'how do I personally profit form this' is just about the only concrete personality trait Trump has. Dude also perpetually has money problems and angry creditors, he's the quintessential intel risk on every conceivable level.

or pick any other way of monetizing that stuff. he had a bunch of the stuff that you could just name any price for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I remain of the opinion that trump would've felt the allure of having a room that you could charge literally millions of dollars for a minute of access to because 'how do I personally profit form this' is just about the only concrete personality trait Trump has. Dude also perpetually has money problems and angry creditors, he's the quintessential intel risk on every conceivable level.

or pick any other way of monetizing that stuff. he had a bunch of the stuff that you could just name any price for

It's also for his own protection. He's been in the business world for a long time, he understands holding blackmail. "Hey if you impeach me maybe these nuclear documents and cia source info finds their way to Putin's hands, don't know we'll have to see, but if you don't impeach me there won't be any problems ok?"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/ritholtz/status/1563503905262030850?t=G43ERorcoUTWNf8GAbkUVQ&s=19

https://mobile.twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1563515809204277248

https://mobile.twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1563518933017116674

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 27, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
So, Trump was trying to last, last second declassify a bunch of documents about the investigation into his ties with Russia?

He got the best outcome he could wish but he wanted to relight that? Jesus what a baby.

Sweet, sweet irony if he ends up in prison because he just couldn’t let the Crossfire Hurricane/Mueller investigation go.

Edit: Upon reflection it’s even funnier that apparently the versions DoJ did declassify included some peoples names he didn’t want tied to it so at the last, last, last second (Jan 20!) they were trying to force through an edit getting them redacted.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 27, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

The story may be from 2021 but it's relevant today because recent revelations explain why that was (is) happening.

Trump breaking the law got a bunch of US intelligence assets killed. This breach may end up far worse than Ames.

There's no actual indication that this is due to Trump. At the very least, no one important or in a position to actually know has officially drawn that connection or made that accusation yet, at least as far as I can tell.

The article proposes plenty of entirely plausible reasons for this to be happening. (short version: the CIA is being careless and incompetent with the lives of foreign informants, too arrogant to take enemy counterintelligence seriously and too focused on covert ops bullshit to take the basic spy work seriously)

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Main Paineframe posted:

There's no actual indication that this is due to Trump.

You mean besides the article two posts up detailing how the US wanted the materials back from Trump because they put spies at risk?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Main Paineframe posted:

There's no actual indication that this is due to Trump. At the very least, no one important or in a position to actually know has officially drawn that connection or made that accusation yet, at least as far as I can tell.

The article proposes plenty of entirely plausible reasons for this to be happening. (short version: the CIA is being careless and incompetent with the lives of foreign informants, too arrogant to take enemy counterintelligence seriously and too focused on covert ops bullshit to take the basic spy work seriously)

I think it is a reasonable extrapolation to say, "In January 2021 a large amount of highly-classified information was moved to an insecure location with easy access to foreign intelligence assets. By later that same year, human intelligence assets started getting whacked. Therefore, it is highly plausible that the former directly or indirectly resulted in the latter."

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fuschia tude posted:

You mean besides the article two posts up detailing how the US wanted the materials back from Trump because they put spies at risk?

There is nothing in the article that suggests someone leaked a bunch of names and now they're all dying. There is no apparent connection to Trump's documents.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Fuschia tude posted:

If Trumps documents specifically out spies, or methods that would aid in outing them, who have been killed, turned or exposed over the last year then, yeah, that would be a highly persuasive coincidence and a poo poo show of massive levels…

We can’t determine that from public information at the moment so I’d be a bit more careful relying on it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

There is nothing in the article that suggests someone leaked a bunch of names and now they're all dying. There is no apparent connection to Trump's documents.

This is incorrect. There is an apparent connection there just is no currently available factual or reliable connection.

The apparent connection is the Trump had unsecured documents that could (and were according to surveillance) be accessed by god knows who that due to their NOFORN, HSC and SI markings could reveal sources and methods of intelligence gathering.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mdemone posted:

That story released tonight for a reason. This is happening, time for everyone to start figuring out how they feel about it.

This generally the result of high level spies. I had an “uncle’s” (really a great uncle’s brother) who was an airborne ranger (first white guy in a black battalion in Korea), navy diver and merchant vessel captain. Amongst other things he used to put down drivers that would put tracking on the Soviet boomers and then take it off again before they got back to port and it could be discovered.

A bunch of those guys got killed at one point because of a high level spy that disclosed the program to the soviets.

These types of document releases kill people.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Knowing what we know about Trump, including that he took this documents to the closet of his hotel, I personally find it to impossible believe that there’s anybody who doesn’t believe that he was sharing secrets throughout the entirety of his presidency.

Just look at the things we know he did do (and this list only goes up through late 2019.)

You’ll have to scroll down through the twitter thread. I won’t post them all here, it would take up the rest of the page.

https://twitter.com/amoneyresists/status/1560298962330210305?s=21&t=oWmcjs3wbsFtZzgN8aomJA

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Just a reminder that the harsh legal consequences for the crimes Trump committed are never dependent on proving the files are being used by foreign governments. The possession itself is a severe crime regardless of transmission - and this is in large part because proving the harm is gunna be near impossible in these circumstances.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MrMojok posted:

Just look at the things we know he did do (and this list only goes up through late 2019.)

You’ll have to scroll down through the twitter thread. I won’t post them all here, it would take up the rest of the page.

Stuff like item 6 here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AmoneyResists/status/1560301535266996224

Is why I'm 100% certain that foreign agents got access to classified/top secret info via Mar-a-Lago. Either from the documents Trump stole or just Trump being a braggart trying to impress people

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Angry_Ed posted:

Stuff like item 6 here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AmoneyResists/status/1560301535266996224

Is why I'm 100% certain that foreign agents got access to classified/top secret info via Mar-a-Lago. Either from the documents Trump stole or just Trump being a braggart trying to impress people

And how many foreign agents have been official members of, or even entered without a membership to, Mar-A-Lago?

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1153778486760398848
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1171861594130866176

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

put down drivers that would put tracking on the Soviet boomers
What do any of these words mean?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

Boomers are nuclear subs. Guessing divers but a typo?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Killer robot posted:

Boomers are nuclear subs. Guessing divers but a typo?

Specifically, ballistic missile subs (as opposed to attack boats).

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Divers got autocorrected into drivers I only n phone post anymore.

Boomers is slang for the subs that carry nuclear weapons.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Maybe bad, maybe not?

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1563644872850313218
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1563657211267559424

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

dr_rat posted:

If he wins, or when ever the next republican gets in there's a fair chance they'll just do it. Honestly their seems very few republicans who might run that wouldn't, wither they be Trump aligned or just see it as an easy way of showing to their base they're ain't democratic enough, who wouldn't.

The deal is going to be for Trump to not run in exchange for a parden

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

War and Pieces posted:

As if he'd keep that deal.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

War and Pieces posted:

He won't pay the lawyers doing a mediocre job of keeping his rear end out of jail, what makes you think he'll honor any deal?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

It doesn't make much sense for the judge to appoint a special master here, but she's not appointing a special master yet: she's informing them of her preliminary intent to do so, and asking the parties to file with their thoughts. Which pretty much means "eh, I'm kinda leaning this way, tell me why I'm wrong".

If she's still leaning this way in a few days, that'll be a different story, but right now she's practically inviting the DoJ to talk her out of it. So it's not a Big Deal just yet.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Even if she does appoint one, there is a chance DOJ will say “well okay, but we already finished inventorying and cataloguing all these documents during the two weeks they didn’t ask for a special master.”

Right?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

MrMojok posted:

Even if she does appoint one, there is a chance DOJ will say “well okay, but we already finished inventorying and cataloguing all these documents during the two weeks they didn’t ask for a special master.”

Right?

That is almost certain. They'll file a classified ex parte motion showing what the main results were and how they treated them filter-wise.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Platonicsolid posted:

As if he'd keep that deal.

They'd just have to wait until November 2nd to parden him.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

War and Pieces posted:

Trump would never take a deal where he gets paid in the future. Cheats expect everyone else to be a cheat

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
In practical terms, it is very likely that when the hearing comes the judge is going to ask if the filter team is finished going through the documents and the answer will be yes, so this request for a special master will be moot and nothing will change

In legal terms, the Trump team basically scribbed "Can i have a bad court thingy" on a napkin and threw it at the judge and it's being treated as a real thing, ignoring all the rules about how you're supposed to do things in court

So on the one hand it doesn't really matter but also it is yet another way Trump is allowed to freely stomp over all rules, regulations, and laws that would trip up anyone else, which is pretty bullshit

Piell fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 28, 2022

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Doesn't really cost the judge much to have made up their mind, not say so, effectively give the DOJ several more days to finish up loose ends, and then shoot down the request late next week. "Well I didn't tell them Trump lawyers they were complete idiots, so I saved face, but yeah they had nothing so shrug don't blame me."

War and Pieces posted:

Who's pardoning whom? Anything at the federal level has to wait until January 20, 2025. (Though Biden can/will issue a pardon before orange man is in an orange suit.) State pardons can from governors (right?), and none take off on Nov2? And presumably pardons are given after verdicts, not before.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Can we please stop saying that Biden is gonna pardon trump jfc.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

(Though Biden can/will issue a pardon before orange man is in an orange suit.)
Why do you / others think this will happen? Is it because Ford pardoned Nixon? Nobody, especially not Biden, is rushing to be the next Ford.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

State pardons can from governors (right?), and none take off on Nov2? And presumably pardons are given after verdicts, not before.

Flynn and Nixon were pardoned before they were convicted. It's often seen as admission of guilt, but I think a recent SCOTUS case made that not legally true.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Why do you / others think this will happen? Is it because Ford pardoned Nixon? Nobody, especially not Biden, is rushing to be the next Ford.

Flynn and Nixon were pardoned before they were convicted. It's often seen as admission of guilt, but I think a recent SCOTUS case made that not legally true.

A pardon requires an admission of guilt and the court has backed that up.

Pardons have been refused specifically because they involve admitting guilt.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

cr0y posted:

Can we please stop saying that Biden is gonna pardon trump jfc.

Biden's grip on the security services is tenuous enough that I think the whole DOJ thing will just be allowed to fizzle quietly with it blamed on chudges.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Xiahou Dun posted:

https://www.reuters.com/legal/litigation/ex-soldiers-acceptance-trump-pardon-didnt-constitute-confession-guilt-court-2021-09-23/
There's the case I was thinking of. It came from a federal appeals judge who thought ""If the Court had meant to impute other, legal consequences to the acceptance of a presidential pardon, it surely would have said so explicitly,". It sounds like bullshit and hopefully was overturned, but I can't find documentation of that.

The case was lowrance vs commandant, about a guy Trump pardoned for literal war crimes.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Did something new happen or is he just trooting through it

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

StumblyWumbly posted:

https://www.reuters.com/legal/litigation/ex-soldiers-acceptance-trump-pardon-didnt-constitute-confession-guilt-court-2021-09-23/
There's the case I was thinking of. It came from a federal appeals judge who thought ""If the Court had meant to impute other, legal consequences to the acceptance of a presidential pardon, it surely would have said so explicitly,". It sounds like bullshit and hopefully was overturned, but I can't find documentation of that.

The case was lowrance vs commandant, about a guy Trump pardoned for literal war crimes.

Well poo poo, that's new.

But it's also just the 10th circuit.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

This is a myth and makes no sense. Many innocent people accept pardons.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Fart Amplifier posted:

This is a myth and makes no sense. Many innocent people accept pardons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burdick_v._United_States

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

quote:

Although the Supreme Court's opinion stated that a pardon carries "an imputation of guilt and acceptance of a confession of it,"[1] this was part of the Court's dictum for the case.[2] Whether the acceptance of a pardon constitutes an admission of guilt by the recipient is not clear and has never been a question presented for argument or decision.