Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

Q2: I am looking for a tablet but I don't see a tablet thread anywhere. I'm looking to just get something with a large screen that I will use almost exclusively for reading books and looking at archive.org. Is there a particular tablet or brand of tablet I should be looking into or avoiding? Looking at tablets on sites like Newegg and Amazon, they all kind of seem largely the same to me at this point, just with wildly different prices based on technical things I don't really know much about and maybe don't even apply to my needs in any way.
The major thing you want to consider, imo, is if you're going to be using it exclusively/primarily for reading, an e-ink screen is much, much nicer. But a terrible option if you want to be able to watch videos or play games on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

credburn posted:

Errr shoot, to clarify, I guess I get it's a meme. But I generally don't follow memes and my friends don't, but this particular image is just showing up nonstop, so I thought it had some significance.

Okay, a better way to word this question should have been: is this just a random image or is there some significance to this? Should I know who either of these people are?

There's text that usually accompanies this image, that is the funny part. You're supposed to read the accompanying text in the style of this very excited woman telling it into the ear of this young man.

If you're seeing the image without reading the text then I understand why you might get confused.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

FCKGW posted:

There's text that usually accompanies this image, that is the funny part. You're supposed to read the accompanying text in the style of this very excited woman telling it into the ear of this young man.

If you're seeing the image without reading the text then I understand why you might get confused.

I was wondering why op might be seeing the image out of context and I'm guessing posters are using it to emptyquote-reply to posts? à la :goonsay:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Cool.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

kalel posted:

I was wondering why op might be seeing the image out of context and I'm guessing posters are using it to emptyquote-reply to posts? à la :goonsay:

No, it's not that, it's just that this has come up suddenly and so frequently in some familiar circles where memes don't often appear. I that I thought it might be two people who are famous in some way or maybe a still from a movie that everyone has seen.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

credburn posted:

No, it's not that, it's just that this has come up suddenly and so frequently in some familiar circles where memes don't often appear. I that I thought it might be two people who are famous in some way or maybe a still from a movie that everyone has seen.

I think the memes super fast spread is because it’s very easy for others to riff on the original image, being it’s a text based joke. Other memes you need to edit images directly but with this one it’s just a wall of text with a base image so more people are participating in it and having fun. :)

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Does anyone have a nice wood yo-yo that they recommend? It’s for a friend’s birthday so I don’t mind paying more than the stuff on Amazon but not like a hundred bucks or something insane.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I would check Etsy; you could probably even get one custom-made, and the prices of the ones I saw seemed quite reasonable.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I got this from Lehman’s a while back and the quality was excellent.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

David Attenborough has an episode talking about the study:

David Attenborough's Natural Curiosities, Episode 5: Seeing the Pattern

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Thanks for the suggestions!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Why is Goku's voice actor (in Japan) an 80 year old lady?

I assume she was the voice actor when the series was just "Dragon Ball" and Goku was a little kid. Women doing the voice acting for young boys is a common thing. But I'm surprised they kept the same voice actor all the way through Dragon Ball Z where it was just buff dude space fights and yelling.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

McCracAttack posted:

I assume she was the voice actor when the series was just "Dragon Ball" and Goku was a little kid. Women doing the voice acting for young boys is a common thing. But I'm surprised they kept the same voice actor all the way through Dragon Ball Z where it was just buff dude space fights and yelling.

Why is Bart Simpson's voice actor a retirement age woman?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Why is Bart Simpson's voice actor a retirement age woman?

Yeah but Bart has stayed a kid for the entire run.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

It's not a problem I'm just curious if the show runners have ever talked about it.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Is house of cards worth watching now that Kevin has got the boot?

I haven't seen any of it but don't want to start if it falls off a cliff.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
David Fincher set a great tone with the pilot.The first two seasons are a pretty good political thriller told from the point of view of a Shakespearian villain. The rest is poo poo.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 25, 2022

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Yeah if you can separate the character from the actor I guess the first two seasons are probably still good. Stop after that no matter what.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

McCracAttack posted:

The way I remember it being explained when I used to watch was that Goku was always just an innocent kid at heart. Compared with all the villains at the time who tended to be voiced by deep male voices, it provided a kind of immediate contrast.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I guess that does fit with his character. Thanks.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
for fumigation work: is there a reason why they request that you open all cardboard boxes in your house or throw them out? my friend just had to help his parents do that and from the sounds of it it wasn't like there was anything flammable in there

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cockroaches love eating cardboard. And living in it.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

credburn posted:

Are they science / biology circles? Cos that's where that particular meme has caught on, as a way of sharing amusingly detailed and obscure facts about ecology. It's pretty cool.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Cockroaches love eating cardboard. And living in it.
Silverfish too.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
My Xbox one died, it was real old I got it when the Witcher was a new release.

What the deal with all these S and X series ones? How do I play the games I own already.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Extra row of tits posted:

My Xbox one died, it was real old I got it when the Witcher was a new release.

What the deal with all these S and X series ones? How do I play the games I own already.

I assume you mean The Witcher 3 (And not an Xbox you got in 2007).

Since then, Microsoft has released 4 new consoles:

Xbox One S/Xbox One X. Updated versions of the Xbox One. The Xbox One S is smaller than the original, and the Xbox One X is more powerful and some games can run better. These can all play the same games as your Xbox One.

Xbox Series S/Xbox Series X. This is a new console. It is backwards compatible with all games you can play on the Xbox One, excluding games that require Kinect. It can also play newer games that are marked as exclusive to Series X|S. It is also split into a less expensive but slower and a more expensive but faster version.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If the game you already own are on disc then you need a Series X to play them because the series S doesn’t have an optical drive.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If the game you already own are on disc then you need a Series X to play them because the series S doesn’t have an optical drive.

Right. Yes. That's a big point I missed. They love to make this stuff confusing. It's basically the same thing as PS5 vs PS4, except Sony named things better.

Xbox One = PS4
Xbox One S = PS4 Slim
Xbox One X = PS4 Pro
Xbox Series S = PS5 Digital Eldition
Xbox Series X = PS5

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I'm trying to take apart an oldish (90s) bedframe. It looks like it's being held together by this thing. Any idea what kinda tool you'd use to remove it?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Can you stick an Allen wrench in the hole and rotate the whole thing?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mycelia posted:

I'm trying to take apart an oldish (90s) bedframe. It looks like it's being held together by this thing. Any idea what kinda tool you'd use to remove it?

look at those makers marks. You need to scrape at it with like a chisel or a random screwdriver for awhile

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

mycelia posted:

Is there a nut on the other end of the thing? I can see it working where you put a metal rod through the hole to keep the bolt from rotating, and tighten and loosen a nut on the other end. It looks like there are indentations in the wood where possibly a rod hit and stopped the bolt from spinning.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MyronMulch posted:

Is there a nut on the other end of the thing? I can see it working where you put a metal rod through the hole to keep the bolt from rotating, and tighten and loosen a nut on the other end. It looks like there are indentations in the wood where possibly a rod hit and stopped the bolt from spinning.

That'd be my guess as well. Bed bolts usually work this way. You aren't supposed to apply much force at the piece in the photograph. Just enough to keep it from spinning while you torque away at the bolt head.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I feel real dumb; is there no way to create a new thread on the forums using the Awful app for android? I can reply to threads but I don't see a new thread button anywhere.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mister Speaker posted:

I feel real dumb; is there no way to create a new thread on the forums using the Awful app for android? I can reply to threads but I don't see a new thread button anywhere.

It's not supported.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dr. Stab posted:

Xbox One S/Xbox One X. Updated versions of the Xbox One. The Xbox One S is smaller than the original, and the Xbox One X is more powerful and some games can run better. These can all play the same games as your Xbox One.

Xbox Series S/Xbox Series X. This is a new console. It is backwards compatible with all games you can play on the Xbox One, excluding games that require Kinect. It can also play newer games that are marked as exclusive to Series X|S. It is also split into a less expensive but slower and a more expensive but faster version.

what is the rational behind this naming convention?

ive had xbox's since the 360 but the progression from xbox to xbox 360 to xbox one to xbox one x/s to xbox series x/s makes no sense to me, from a branding perspective or any other really.

i worked in marketing for a few years and while i dont consider myself an expert on branding or anything, i usually can figure out what companies are trying to do, but i cant figure out what microsoft is trying to do except confuse people. it strikes me as the kind of thing that is the result of a compromise after some sort of struggle between multiple internal factions but that makes no sense to anyone outside

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

they didn’t want to call the second Xbox the Xbox 2 when it was up against the PlayStation 3, etc

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Smirking_Serpent posted:

they didn’t want to call the second Xbox the Xbox 2 when it was up against the PlayStation 3, etc

sure, and i understand choosing a different naming convention from their main competitor but then why not stick with it? xbox 360, xbox 720, xbox 1080 etc.

its the last couple iterations that particularly make no sense

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The one in xbox one is because it was suppossed to be the One Central thing in your entertainment room or something because it was suppossed to be music and movies and web browser and poo poo supposedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Also the Xbox 360 was popularly known as "the 360" so they were probably at least hoping the Xbox One would be known as "the One."