Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Stux posted:

hhow did gangtags start anywy was it just someone realising u could put them in a title or whatever it is?? dont know how they work .

the concept of "armies" with their own image that people would put in their sig goes back to the earliest days of the forums, it seems like someone just revived the concept to me

don incognito's meaty duck pirate crew represent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My av title does feel somewhat overdressed these days

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i dont care what the epic game store does so long as they keep giving me free games

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Replace all gangtags with these

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Roth posted:

I used a Xing Cai Fan version of these in my sig for years lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

This, but I also haven't played a single one of them

their last free game was doom 64 which is what i am playing right now... thank you epic

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Roth posted:

ok but that font/typography on the right side slaps hard

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

their last free game was doom 64 which is what i am playing right now... thank you epic

Doom 64 is so cool.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Roth posted:

Doom 64 is so cool.

it owns and im happy to be playing it on the pc where doom belongs

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I used a Xing Cai Fan version of these in my sig for years lol

Xingcai is very cool, i just wish she had more to do in the story modes in 7 and 8

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lady Radia posted:

ok but that font/typography on the right side slaps hard

the period where everything cool online was in some kind of small pixel font was bad rear end

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ArfJason posted:

people like you are the perfect indictment on them

okay lol

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I haven't seen a gangtag all year thanks to the awful app.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

This, but I also haven't played a single one of them

Yeah, I just use Gamepass. Which has all those free games and hundreds more.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The gang tag from the Deus Ex Human Revolution thread where you can download it and change the format to .wav to get music or something like that was pretty cool, I forget what it actually did but it was similar.

edit:

Found it! I don't remember what to do with it though. I could be making poo poo up! MAN that thread's OP was impressively extensive.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 28, 2022

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Alaois posted:

Xingcai is very cool, i just wish she had more to do in the story modes in 7 and 8

7's story mode is the best they've ever made imo. 8 is fine but like, never really felt necessary. 9 sounds like a train wreck that i would buy if it was ever on sale

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Scarodactyl posted:

I haven't seen a gangtag all year thanks to the awful app.

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to submit a feature request

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Stux posted:

hhow did gangtags start anywy was it just someone realising u could put them in a title or whatever it is?? dont know how they work .

Gang tags started as a FYAD joke instigated by docevil. Then the rest of the forums decided they wanted forum-specific gang tags for a while. Then most people got bored of them or lost them from title changes, leaving them to be the domain of threads/forums with established cliques that wanted special membership cards/scout badges. There's a little breakdown of things in the SAclopedia:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2188

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 28, 2022

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CJacobs posted:

The gang tag from the Deus Ex Human Revolution thread where you can download it and change the format to .wav to get music or something like that was pretty cool, I forget what it actually did but it was similar.

edit:

Found it! I don't remember what to do with it though. I could be making poo poo up! MAN that thread's OP was impressively extensive.

I think those were the work of Everdraed, but it might have been someone older like colorfinger, and were so loving cool. All you really needed to do was load them as an mp3(as simple as renaming the file) to play them, iirc

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

7's story mode is the best they've ever made imo. 8 is fine but like, never really felt necessary. 9 sounds like a train wreck that i would buy if it was ever on sale

that's for true. 8 at least has the cute alternate history stuff.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

oh hey this thread is back neat

i’ve seen some people reference it over time, but what exactly happened in LP that caused the schism?

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Splash Attack posted:

i’ve seen some people reference it over time, but what exactly happened in LP that caused the schism?

one LP goon killed another "accidentally" at a house party and people picked sides

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

what

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You can't just say things like that in this thread

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it was mario party

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

remember that one goon LPer who just like, vanished for something like 8 months and when they finally came back they were like "hey all, sorry i disappeared in the middle of my LP, i was in jail for vehicular manslaughter"

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Splash Attack posted:

You're going to have to be more specific. A bunch of people left during the lowtax meltdown but that's true of every subforum?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Alaois posted:

remember that one goon LPer who just like, vanished for something like 8 months and when they finally came back they were like "hey all, sorry i disappeared in the middle of my LP, i was in jail for vehicular manslaughter"

:eyepop:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

one LP goon killed another "accidentally" at a house party and people picked sides

Many cases like this

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I didn't think the kill count would go TCC TFR LP CSPAM tbh.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

I didn't think the kill count would go TCC TFR LP CSPAM tbh.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

some plague rats posted:

You're going to have to be more specific. A bunch of people left during the lowtax meltdown but that's true of every subforum?

it was mentioned earlier in the thread about how the LP forum had a schism before the Troubles, then after lowtax sold the forums they said that they still weren't coming back, and now that schism had schismed or something.

on that note, what lowtax meltdown?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
when the news about shmorky dropped lowtax did a stream with one of his daughters where they repatedly said that they hoped shmorky would commit suicide and some lets players commented on how hosed up this was on twitter and then lowtax shadowbanned them which caused more lets players to autoban and leave the forum to create their own offsite with a hundred rules about what you could and could not do a lets play of because the games might be full of problematic content that would be upsetting to some viewers

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 28, 2022

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Ah, the Bread & Roses of the gaming forum

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

when the news about shmorky dropped lowtax did a stream with one of his daughters where they repatedly said that they hoped shmorky would commit suicide and some lets players commented on how hosed up this was on twitter and then lowtax shadowbanned them which caused more lets players to autoban and leave the forum to create their own offsite with a hundred rules about you could and could not do a lets play of because the games might be full of problematic content that would be upsetting to some viewers

This was led by Voidburger and Psychedelic Mushroom, though most of the LPs on the offsite were crossposted on SA. It also had a god awful interface that made it impossible to find everything, like imagine if every thread on SA was in one forum, and you had to click toggles on and off to see everything.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

when the news about shmorky dropped lowtax did a stream with one of his daughters where they repatedly said that they hoped shmorky would commit suicide and some lets players commented on how hosed up this was on twitter and then lowtax shadowbanned them which caused more lets players to autoban and leave the forum to create their own offsite with a hundred rules about what you could and could not do a lets play of because the games might be full of problematic content that would be upsetting to some viewers

Boba Pearl posted:

This was led by Voidburger and Psychedelic Mushroom, though most of the LPs on the offsite were crossposted on SA. It also had a god awful interface that made it impossible to find everything, like imagine if every thread on SA was in one forum, and you had to click toggles on and off to see everything.

lmao of course it did

is it still around or has SA managed to outlive another offsite

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Boba Pearl posted:

you had to click toggles on and off to see everything.

yes. give me the kinetic forums.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
A psychedelic mushroom voidburger sounds like some seriously deep poo poo tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

And then lp's mostly died because of streaming. The end.