Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mister Facetious posted:

The TCL 75S546 at $899 is probably the best bet. Other options are the Hisense U6G and U6H for $800, on sale. (Best Buy)
Only the TCL has local dimming.

I've flipped back and forth between these two quite a bit, but currently leaning towards the TCL as I've read reports that the U6H flickers and dark scenes can get weird.

For reference I'm coming from a 55p605 and I sit 12ft away from it :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Is it expected that the price on the two above will get a significant discount during bf/cm or are they pretty much bottomed out?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
When I checked the prices, the TCL wasn't discounted, and the u6g and u6h were $200 and $600 off, respectively.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

When I checked the prices, the TCL wasn't discounted, and the u6g and u6h were $200 and $600 off, respectively.

Hm maybe worth waiting then

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I am noticing a faded outline of a person on my lg g2 whenever im watcihng spectrum tv and there is like green grass. Its in the middle of the screen. Anyone ever heard of this before? Tried to google and came up with nothing.

I think it might be the spectrum signal because when i go to like youtube and put on golf or something i dont see it

fyallm fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 28, 2022

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

have you watched any cursed tapes recently

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

dc3k posted:

is there some magic button to make a/v sync on an a80j work?

watching netflix + plex stuff (direct play always, never transcoding) on an apple tv 4k running through a marantz nr1608. tv is in "custom 1" picture mode.

i've tried the few sync options in the tv's menu, "auto lip sync" on the receiver, manual audio offset on the receiver, and some combinations of them all. i cant seem to find a setting that works, it always feels just slightly out of sync. i might just end up using the game picture mode for everything.

Not sure if it's the same problem, but I've had similar trouble on my X85K and a Samsung soundbar.

Here are my lab notes, maybe something here will ring a bell and let us zoom in on the common issue:

-Originally had the soundbar hooked up through ARC and almost everything worked fine with AV Sync on Auto. The one exception was my 4K Apple TV where the audio was ~150 ms before the video.

-I then switched the soundbar to optical which fixed the Apple TV sync but ruined the sync on my cable box. Now the cable audio was significantly behind the video (I haven't timed it, but probably also ~150 ms).

-Switching the AV Sync to "On" instead of "Auto" (with the soundbar still through optical) fixed the cable box BUT of course ruins any video game (Switch, PS5). It also seems to slightly throw off the Apple TV but that part might be in my head.

-I've settled on just switching the AV Sync between Auto and On depending on what I'm watching, which is annoying but I guess the best solution (as far as I know, the AV Sync is a universal setting and can't be set per input). One other annoyance is pressing the settings button on my remote seems to pull up one of two different menus at random, and I only know how to get into the Sound settings from one of those menus, so I basically have to fuss with the remote for 1-2 minutes every time I change inputs. A big pain!

I've considered replacing the Samsung soundbar with a Sony soundbar in hopes that it'd be more compatible but it's a little frustrating to drop all that money on something so stupid.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Ruffian Price posted:

have you watched any cursed tapes recently

No.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Try that

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

curse THIS

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Any actual helpful comments?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Can you get a photo of it?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
You're sure it isn't just screen burn only showing up against certain backgrounds?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Does your TV have a set of calibration screens to make sure it's not burned in? If not, look some up on youtube or something.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

fyallm posted:

I am noticing a faded outline of a person on my lg g2 whenever im watcihng spectrum tv and there is like green grass. Its in the middle of the screen. Anyone ever heard of this before? Tried to google and came up with nothing.

I think it might be the spectrum signal because when i go to like youtube and put on golf or something i dont see it

Sounds 100% like the Spectrum TV app if it's not showing up in other apps/sources. Highly doubt it's burn in on a TV that's what...the G2 came out this spring so like 4 or 5 months?

Try running this and see if you see anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR-__suycVQ

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

jisforjosh posted:

Sounds 100% like the Spectrum TV app if it's not showing up in other apps/sources. Highly doubt it's burn in on a TV that's what...the G2 came out this spring so like 4 or 5 months?

Try running this and see if you see anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR-__suycVQ

Just ran this and didn't see the image. What is weird is it isn't the actual spectrum TV app, but I am using the actual spectrum cable box.

quote:

Can you get a photo of it?

Seems to mostly happen when Golf or Soccer is on, and there's a lot of 'green' on the screen. And of course, none are on tv right now. At first I thought it was a burn in like a commentator in the middle of the screen but that doesn't make sense. It looks like an outline of a commentator sitting in the middle of the screen.

quote:

You're sure it isn't just screen burn only showing up against certain backgrounds?

Ive had the tv for like 1 month, so I can't imagine it is burn in, but if it is I will def want to swap it out.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

fyallm posted:

Just ran this and didn't see the image. What is weird is it isn't the actual spectrum TV app, but I am using the actual spectrum cable box.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable from the box to the TV?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

jisforjosh posted:

Have you tried a different HDMI cable from the box to the TV?

That's a great idea, but sounds daunting af with this new flush wall mount and the cables being inside the wall. I honestly didn't even think about the cable being the issie and not the actual cable box. I will also try unplugging it from the cable box and plugging it into a roku or something. Thanks again!

I think soccer is back on Wednesday, so I should be able to test it again.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

fyallm posted:

That's a great idea, but sounds daunting af with this new flush wall mount and the cables being inside the wall. I honestly didn't even think about the cable being the issie and not the actual cable box. I will also try unplugging it from the cable box and plugging it into a roku or something. Thanks again!

I think soccer is back on Wednesday, so I should be able to test it again.

You can buy a fish tape for cheap on Amazon. The other thing that you could do is tape the new cable to the old cable and pull the old cable out. I've done that in a pinch.

But it might not even be the cable, you could try plugging the box to a side HDMI port and just test it - outside the wall.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

GreenNight posted:

You can buy a fish tape for cheap on Amazon. The other thing that you could do is tape the new cable to the old cable and pull the old cable out. I've done that in a pinch.

Sorry by daunting was trying to maneuver this huge 77inch tv and get it off the magnetic mount

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Honestly just return the box to your cable provider's local mall shack and say it restarts randomly.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

mancalamania posted:

Not sure if it's the same problem, but I've had similar trouble on my X85K and a Samsung soundbar.

Here are my lab notes, maybe something here will ring a bell and let us zoom in on the common issue:

-Originally had the soundbar hooked up through ARC and almost everything worked fine with AV Sync on Auto. The one exception was my 4K Apple TV where the audio was ~150 ms before the video.

-I then switched the soundbar to optical which fixed the Apple TV sync but ruined the sync on my cable box. Now the cable audio was significantly behind the video (I haven't timed it, but probably also ~150 ms).

-Switching the AV Sync to "On" instead of "Auto" (with the soundbar still through optical) fixed the cable box BUT of course ruins any video game (Switch, PS5). It also seems to slightly throw off the Apple TV but that part might be in my head.

-I've settled on just switching the AV Sync between Auto and On depending on what I'm watching, which is annoying but I guess the best solution (as far as I know, the AV Sync is a universal setting and can't be set per input). One other annoyance is pressing the settings button on my remote seems to pull up one of two different menus at random, and I only know how to get into the Sound settings from one of those menus, so I basically have to fuss with the remote for 1-2 minutes every time I change inputs. A big pain!

I've considered replacing the Samsung soundbar with a Sony soundbar in hopes that it'd be more compatible but it's a little frustrating to drop all that money on something so stupid.

ugh, this all sounds like a royal pain in the rear end. i'm up to ~230ms manual delay on my receiver (auto lip sync always stays at 0ms) and something still seems slightly off. i'm probably going to give up and just use game mode permanently.

for me everything i watch is running through the apple tv by way of the receiver. my switch runs through the receiver as well, but the tv detects it and sets it to game mode automatically so ive had no issues there. no combination of auto lip sync (receiver) and a/v sync (tv) seems to do anything at all. the only thing that makes a difference is the manual delay i've mentioned above.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 30, 2022

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So I got a C1 and finished calibrating it per recommendations from YouTube experts because gently caress if I know what I’m doing and specifically when playing my PS5 I find it frustratingly dark and muddied even after following these calibration settings to emphasize brightness. Now obviously OLEDs and bright rooms don’t mix. But from everything I’ve read I thought it meant giant bay windows without blinds. Is the room I’m in still too bright? Also that’s my old tv and stuff there on the floor it’s not usually this cluttered.

It’s also going to get brighter than this photo as the day goes on and the sun is more directly facing my house.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 30, 2022

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I got a C1 and finished calibrating it per recommendations from YouTube experts because gently caress if I know what I’m doing and specifically when playing my PS5 I find it frustratingly dark and muddied even after following these calibration settings to emphasize brightness. Now obviously OLEDs and bright rooms don’t mix. But from everything I’ve read I thought it meant giant bay windows without blinds. Is the room I’m in still too bright? Also that’s my old tv and stuff there on the floor it’s not usually this cluttered.

It’s also going to get brighter than this photo as the day goes on and the sun is more directly facing my house.

You probably need to post your specific settings. My PS5 looks fine during the day on my C1. Do you have Energy Saver turned off at least?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

qbert posted:

You probably need to post your specific settings. My PS5 looks fine during the day on my C1. Do you have Energy Saver turned off at least?

I followed these settings to the letter.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S0G8sHcFQq8

A comment on the video helpfully has it all in text form.

quote:

For anyone who needs it, see below;

SD Game Settings
Support>> Energy Saving Step>> Off
Input source button>> Home Dash Board>> Options>> Edit>> Edit Inputs>> PS5 Icon>> PC
Picture>> Select Mode>> Game Optimiser>>
---Advanced Settings
-----Brightness>> OLED Pixel Brightness>> 75
--------Contrast 85 / Screen Brightness 50
--------Gamma>> BT.1886
--------Black Level – Auto
--------Motion Eye Care – off
-----Colour
--------Colour Depth – 55
--------Tint – 0
--------White Balance>> warm 50
-----Clarity
--------Sharpness>> 0

HDR Game Settings
Picture>> Select Mode>> Game Optimiser>>
---Advanced Settings
-----Brightness>> OLED Pixel Brightness>> 100
--------Contrast 100 / Screen Brightness 50
--------HDR Tone Mapping>> HGiG
-----Colour
--------Colour Depth – 55
--------White Balance>> warm 50
-----Clarity
--------Sharpness>> 0

PS5 Settings
Screen and Video>> Video Output>> HDR>> On When Supported
all settings automatic
Adjust HDR
1/3 – down all the way darkest, up 14 clicks
2/3 – down all the way darkest, up 14 clicks
3/3 – down all the way darkest ( 0 )
RGB Range>> Automatic

Game Optimizer Settings
Game Genre>> Standard
Black Stabiliser>> 10
White Stabiliser>> 10
OLED motion Pro>> Off
Prevent Input Lag>> Boost

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So in the OLED department are there any models with materially higher brightness than a LG C1 (so not just measured in a lab) or is this about it and QLED stuff is what someone needs to look at if brightness is a priority?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

For your PS5 issue, it could be a specific game's poor implementation of HDR. Do non-HDR games look okay to you in terms of brightness? If so, try disabling HDR in the games you're having trouble with and see if they look okay. Then if you decide HDR is the issue, you might have to fiddle with the specific in-game settings to get it to look okay.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So in the OLED department are there any models with materially higher brightness than a LG C1 (so not just measured in a lab) or is this about it and QLED stuff is what someone needs to look at if brightness is a priority?

The new QD-OLED (which is different from QLED) panels that just released this year are noticeably brighter, and that's the biggest selling point of the technology. The only QD-OLED tvs out right now are the Samsung S95B and the Sony A95K.

For non-QD OLED, the G1, C2, and G2 are all supposed to be brighter than the C1. Sony's A90J as well I believe.

qbert fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 30, 2022

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

there's a PS5 setting that I can't remember which the default is but the options are like:

HDR y/n
HDR for games that weren't designed for it y/n

you definitely want that second one off, in my experience with my C1

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Tatsuta Age posted:

there's a PS5 setting that I can't remember which the default is but the options are like:

HDR y/n

Yeah I made sure to turn off all the forced settings like this. I just am...whelmed. I can return it for full reimbursement and no restocking fee and look into another model. I’m actually going to go to Best Buy and look at stuff (yes I know sometimes floor displays can be all messed up)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

QD-OLED sounds really cool - but Samsung currently only goes up to 65". Hopefully they go bigger next year.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah I made sure to turn off all the forced settings like this. I just am...whelmed. I can return it for full reimbursement and no restocking fee and look into another model.

It's frustrating, but I am reasonably sure there's a setting you're missing (they're per input in addition to global settings) rather than a problem with your TV. I was playing an HDR game on the PS5 this weekend with sun shining directly on the TV (A80J, so same panel as yours). I wish I could tell you where to look.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

My older TV is the good old Samsung UN60H7150 from 2014. It’s served me well. But in the last 8 years or so has the Samsung brand remained a quality purchase (leaving aside price)? Because that S95B OLED does look pretty and it’s review on RTINGS is fantastic for whatever that’s worth.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 30, 2022

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
FWIW it might just take some getting used to. My A80J still mostly feels dim compared to my old TCL 6 Series, but when it looks great it looks terrific.

You want a premium-priced TV to totally wow you and give you best-in-class everything and that has unfortunately not been my experience. The new TV takes a lot more futzing around with settings to get the ideal picture on every input and video source. I'd give it a few more days of tinkering if you're still within the return window

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

morestuff posted:

FWIW it might just take some getting used to. My A80J still mostly feels dim compared to my old TCL 6 Series, but when it looks great it looks terrific.

You want a premium-priced TV to totally wow you and give you best-in-class everything and that has unfortunately not been my experience. The new TV takes a lot more futzing around with settings to get the ideal picture on every input and video source. I'd give it a few more days of tinkering if you're still within the return window

Because I’m very dumb I only set it up 2 days ago despite it arriving like 11 days ago so the return window ends at close of business tomorrow. So that’s fun.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

QD-OLED sounds really cool - but Samsung currently only goes up to 65". Hopefully they go bigger next year.

The 65" is currently on sale for $2100 which is extremely tempting.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

My older TV is the good old Samsung UN60H7150 from 2014. It’s served me well. But in the last 8 years or so has the Samsung brand remained a quality purchase (leaving aside price)? Because that S95B OLED does look pretty and it’s review on RTINGS is fantastic for whatever that’s worth.

It's basically not about brand loyalty/quality at this point, you have to look at specific models of each brand. For example, people love the LG OLED C and G models, but a lot of the lower-end LG tvs are dogshit. Every major brand makes models of wildly varying quality, and its up to you to do the research on the specific one you're looking for.

People are praising the hell out of the new QD-OLED displays, and since it's Samsung's technology (even the Sony model are Samsung-bought panels), you can be pretty confident that the specific S95B model is good. My only major gripe with Samsung is that they don't support Dolby Vision, but it's up to you how much you care about that.

Edit: Also regarding your C1, this may sound like an incredibly basic question but, have you tried turning up the Pixel Brightness and Brightness settings on your TV? The settings you find on the internet aren't written in stone, and if you amp up the brightness and are still happy with the picture quality, then why not do it?

qbert fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 30, 2022

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hmm, have the LG UST projectors not been updated in a few years? Is there new tech coming?

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 31, 2022

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Tatsuta Age posted:

HDR y/n

Why do you want the second one off? Don't you want HDR to be forced on, to get more brightness? I don't know any better, just asking in case I ever run into the same issue with a non-HDR source.

Related, perhaps in non-HDR mode, maybe Shimrra should set the OLED Pixel brightness to 100, which is same pixel brightness in HDR mode? Would that help? So to avoid having to return the C1.

FYI, I run everything in HDR mode on my C1 from Windows 10 and it's great, even in a moderately lit room. I'm on a PC, though, but may get a console in the near future.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I've read in a youtube review comment that the 48 inch version of the LG C1 (and maybe C2 too?) is using some older version components, does anyone know if that is true? Googling hasn't really yielded any discussion on this for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaadee
May 3, 2013
I helped my brother hop into OLED land a few weeks ago when the LG G1 55" was on clearance at best buy for $1000. He texted me today that the display won't power on. He's already got an appt set up with best buy and expects something to need replacing.

My question is, what is everyone's experience dealing with getting a lemon? Both at the LG level and the best buy level? Because I plan to treat this tv like a lemon if it is fine after getting a component replaced and even one more thing goes wrong before the warranty is up.