Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

When i scan my debit card at the grocery store checkout and a number in my bank account goes down by 50 and a number in the business's account goes up by 50 is that not already a digital currency? There was zero moving of paper money or gold or whatever at any point.
What benefit does a "central bank digital currency" add that existing electronic payment systems based on digital USD or digital euros etc do not?

Your debit/cc number actually flies through the internet, and various counterparties along the way for your bank on the other side to check for money/approval. This is a risk, albiet extremely small given that the 16 digit PAN is likely encrypted before it leave the device that you scanned it on.

From my understanding a CBDC would use digital signatures so you could sign transactions without having to expose/send your secret. And yeah no stupid Blockchain needed to accomplish this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

CoolCab posted:

legal authorities are very good at tracking those and slightly worse at tracking some cryptos.

It's a public ledger, the only reason it's "slightly worse" is that they haven't put the eye of Sauron on it.

On a long enough timeline a given pile of money will eventually touch a corporation that authorities can lean on (including a tumbler) and then they're nicked.

It's actually easier in some ways because you can put a digital watch one (in a way you can't for a chest full of gold coins).

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

ChronoBasher posted:

Your debit/cc number actually flies through the internet, and various counterparties along the way for your bank on the other side to check for money/approval. This is a risk, albiet extremely small given that the 16 digit PAN is likely encrypted before it leave the device that you scanned it on.

From my understanding a CBDC would use digital signatures so you could sign transactions without having to expose/send your secret. And yeah no stupid Blockchain needed to accomplish this.

this is wrong in about 6 different interesting ways, but the most notable are

1. POS checkouts are almost never connected to the internet, they connect to banks directly
2. apple pay already works like how you describe and paywave pretty much works like how you describe

but you're completely right that nothing is happening that requires blockchain and in fact would make it worse

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol, even as a thought experiment, buttcoin seem to be re-inventing the wheel but worse because some dumb code monkey thought about THING and didnt think to ask anyone in said industry and just drunkingly skim wikipedia.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i said some. most criminal routes go through monero now which afaik hasn't been meaningfully defeated, and if there's one good obscuring crypto in the chain it's not that hard to "clean" crime money. that's legit the only advantage, drugs or tax fraud or divorce fraud or darker poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Why use a (ugh) bank or (even worse, puke) a financial services processor like Mastercard when I can boof the Blockchain and risk my wallet being spoofed or the value of my bitbutts fluctuating wildly from the time I hit PAY to the time some Miner hashes my ledger.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
What happens when I get drunk and fall for a fake seal plushie knock-off scam website with my credit card: I realise, freeze my card thus rendering it impossible for scam artists to do anything to it, call the bank and get all my money back, and a fake seal plushie knock-off shows up in my mailbox anyway a few weeks later.

What happens with blockchain: Goodbye, money.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

ChronoBasher posted:

Your debit/cc number actually flies through the internet...

It does not. There is an extremely secure network that's been around for decades to handle debit/cc transactions. I learned how to administer parts of it in the late 20th century. I do remember the licensing costs were considerable.

e: you are correct in that blockchain offers nothing except an enormous waste of computing power.

e: blockchain is so loving stupid.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 28, 2022

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

chaosbreather posted:

this is wrong in about 6 different interesting ways, but the most notable are

1. POS checkouts are almost never connected to the internet, they connect to banks directly

Lol. Lmao. POS system do connect to the internet. Canada got hit with a massive internet outage recently and it caused massive economical damages because no POS systems could connect to the banks. They just use an encrypted tunnel, a VPN.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

War Wizard posted:

Lol. Lmao. POS system do connect to the internet. Canada got hit with a massive internet outage recently and it caused massive economical damages because no POS systems could connect to the banks. They just use an encrypted tunnel, a VPN.

IIRC, Interac was down, but my Costco credit card still worked just fine. And of course cold hard cash always wins.

e: a VPN would create too much overhead to handle the volume of transactions. Having worked for another ISP, I suspect that a production change at Rogers probably broke a few overnight batch jobs which threw the POS system out of sync.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 28, 2022

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

War Wizard posted:

Back in the day (like late 90s) they used leased lines, but now that you just use regular IP over 5G and even the social club at my work has a wireless EFTPOS terminal (I think it's just a mobile phone with a USB gadget) so you can buy cheap drinks at lunch time.

quote:

e: a VPN would create too much overhead to handle the volume of transactions. Having worked for another ISP, I suspect that a production change at Rogers probably broke a few overnight batch jobs which threw the POS system out of sync.

You could buy dedicated VPN concentrators 20 years ago.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

War Wizard posted:

That is crazy, here in Australia there are dedicated cell services and poo poo

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A lot of places in Europe, especially restaurants, have portable terminals that just connect via 4G. It's absolutely not a problem though, just because something communicates over the internet doesn't make it insecure. Encrypting your connection is a negligible overhead.

And unlike shitcoins, there are safety nets. If your card gets skimmed or stolen you can block and replace it without giving up your entire bank account. You can contest fraudulent charges and get your money back.

The only people interested in crypto are people who are either entirely blind to how it's worse than regular banking in every way, or have an ulterior motive because they're one of the scammers or manipulators themselves.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Bitcoin=scamcoin

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

They want me to give a gently caress about merchant fees, but I'm not the merchant. I'm the customer who gets services: accepted everywhere, not responsible for fraud, consumer protections, ECT. What if crypto: you pay the transaction fee, and you have absolutely none of the perks or protections.

Sign me up

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

But you see, you pay the transaction fee to the bitcoiner, which is the important part

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
be your own bank my bitchcoiner

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Yeah, Bitcoin is like a credit card kinda except instead of a bank there's an "exchange".
And the exchange has no insurance so if it dies you lose all your money.
And instead of the bank and possibly the government being aware of your purchases literally anyone who cares to look is.
And the transaction fees are hundreds to thousands of percent more.
And the electricity use is tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of percent more.
And all transactions are irreversible save begging the person you sent it to to send it back.
And if you sent it to the wrong address it's just gone forever.
And even if it is sent back then you have to pay the hundred-to-thousand percent fees again.
And it's hyper vulnerable to scams.
And the value of it fluctuates on a second-to-minute basis.
And transaction can take an hour or more to finalize.

BUT it's 'crypto' so that counts for something?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/LilMoonLambo/status/1563576451038711815

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CoolCab posted:

i said some. most criminal routes go through monero now which afaik hasn't been meaningfully defeated, and if there's one good obscuring crypto in the chain it's not that hard to "clean" crime money. that's legit the only advantage, drugs or tax fraud or divorce fraud or darker poo poo.

Once you put money from one monero wallet into another, it is well and truly gone without a trace. The problem with the strong privacycoins is exactly what you mention, though: it's only for crimes. Nobody is pumping it with legitimate fool investors. As thin as the cash pond is for Bitcoin, it's even thinner out in those waters.

Because nobody is taking major ransoms on privacycoins, ransom actors can't easily cash out on privacycoins, so they don't take ransoms on privacycoins, so they can't... (repeat).

If retail losers started using privacycoins, identifying cryptoextortion actors by wallet would be tremendously more difficult if not impossible.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

raverrn posted:

Yeah, Bitcoin is like a credit card kinda except instead of a bank there's an "exchange".
And the exchange has no insurance so if it dies you lose all your money.
And instead of the bank and possibly the government being aware of your purchases literally anyone who cares to look is.
And the transaction fees are hundreds to thousands of percent more.
And the electricity use is tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of percent more.
And all transactions are irreversible save begging the person you sent it to to send it back.
And if you sent it to the wrong address it's just gone forever.
And even if it is sent back then you have to pay the hundred-to-thousand percent fees again.
And it's hyper vulnerable to scams.
And the value of it fluctuates on a second-to-minute basis.
And transaction can take an hour or more to finalize.

BUT it's 'crypto' so that counts for something?

Bitcoin: it's money, but worse! (tm)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lv99 Slacker posted:

What transacting with bitcoin looks like nowdays

Just watching 37 individual videos of people using gift cards to buy nachos, as one does.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

if its decentralized how come a single person make number go somewhere?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

PhazonLink posted:

if its decentralized how come a single person make number go somewhere?

He is de centre.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Collateral Damage posted:

And unlike shitcoins, there are safety nets. If your card gets skimmed or stolen you can block and replace it without giving up your entire bank account. You can contest fraudulent charges and get your money back.

Yep. A few years ago I had to travel for work reasons and somewhere between here and there and back here my CC info ended up with someone it shouldn't have. Don't know if it was skimmed or if a waiter snapped a pic of it or what, but mysteriously I started having some low-value bullshit transactions followed by like $500 of Best Buy.

My net loss? I mean, technically my time is worth something so I guess I the twenty minutes of my time that I spent talking to AmEx on the phone was worth something. Plus there was a small hassle as I waited for a new card to come to me.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
bitcoin solves all of these problems and provides digital energy to the future

i will not explain how or why

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

The only people interested in crypto are people who are either entirely blind to how it's worse than regular banking in every way, or have an ulterior motive because they're one of the scammers or manipulators themselves.

There's a third class of bitcoiners. They're people who have managed to gently caress up their finances in a major way, getting into trouble with either the taxman or a bank, and then decided that in fact they're blameless and it's the corrupt government or greedy banksters that are to blame. They favor cryptos out of resentment and a need to get "even" with their perceived oppressors.

Much like sovereign citizens really

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A lot of places in Europe, especially restaurants, have portable terminals that just connect via 4G. It's absolutely not a problem though, just because something communicates over the internet doesn't make it insecure. Encrypting your connection is a negligible overhead.

Yep Encryption solves everything, if only bitcoin used encryption

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

hello as suggested by Strong Sauce here is a Facebook post from a girl who I went to high school with (who is now a stone cold lunatic anti vaxxer living down in Florida)

haljordan fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 28, 2022

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It can never be, "Well, poo poo, I was wrong and I hosed up and took a huge loss for no benefit", it always has to be, "Well at least I had the journey" as though clicking some buttons and handing my life savings to some scammer was like becoming an ascetic monk or some poo poo

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Gort posted:

It can never be, "Well, poo poo, I was wrong and I hosed up and took a huge loss for no benefit", it always has to be, "Well at least I had the journey"

i'm pretty sure i could convince this woman into giving me money for MORE crypto

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gort posted:

as though clicking some buttons and handing my life savings to some scammer was like becoming an ascetic monk or some poo poo
You don't have that grind mentality, you take the L and get back stronger, work harder, get those GAINS. It only takes 1 degree to make water boil and that 1 degree of effort is what separates the people that can and the people that won't. #blessed #boss #learningevryday

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

haljordan posted:

i'm pretty sure i could convince this woman into giving me money for MORE crypto

If they can be convinced to not take a free, harmless, life-saving vaccine, that takes all of like a half hour to go and get they can be convinced of anything.

Biden is a lost old man and a criminal mastermind. Wait no he is just riddled with dementia but also fully in control of the CIA.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

You don't have that grind mentality, you take the L and get back stronger, work harder, get those GAINS. It only takes 1 degree to make water boil and that 1 degree of effort is what separates the people that can and the people that won't. #blessed #boss #learningevryday

lol grind/hustle mentality is one of the most cancerous ideas in labor, like the lovechild of Stockholm syndrome and toxic positivity. also isnt that the specific heat of water, and you keep needing to input energy to increase temp?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i like how the new bitcoin true believer claims that because a lot of people are now interested in digital currencies this somehow makes bitcoin the standard?

To believe that you would have to ignore that it's functionally useless as a currency and only has value as the household name digital gambling horse in the horse race. Bitcoin is a proof of concept that gave people ideas that doesn't mean it's even relevant to those ideas anymore.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Grindset types think of success in terms of a video-game stat that, once you reach a certain level, you’ve “made it” and are therefore the winner of the game. So “making it” is literally the same as grinding in WoW. Just keep going and at some point you’re guaranteed to win

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
some what related , I learned about this other new bullshit vocab word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiet_quitting

ah yes quitting even though I still have the job????

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

PhazonLink posted:

some what related , I learned about this other new bullshit vocab word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiet_quitting

ah yes quitting even though I still have the job????

it's something made up by middle management mad that people aren't working 104 unpaid hours per week to boost their kpis

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It is funny how idiot columnists in papers like wsj are super mad that people would dare just work what is expected of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Almost without fail these zombie accounts that go "Yeah, I dropped off in like 03 and then Lowtax Died so I decided to check out the ol neighborhood" turn out to be completely hosed up weirdos.

At least it's not one of those assholes who registered in 2004 and never left, they're the worst.