Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Just arrived!

oh look a teeny little adorable Oxygen Destroyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The ab crunch on the green ranger looks odd, but they look great otherwise.

I see it as a kind of damned if you do damned if you don't thing

If it wasn't there, people would complain about it not being there since that means less articulation- even though these are more about the looks than not

But those poeple are louder than the ones who would rather it not be there FOR the looks.

I do have to wonder if it'll look better in hand, I guess we'll see. Or if there's a way to make it less conspicuous, with how seamless the rest of the figure looks. But also, an AMAZING detail I don't think has been done before with these kind of figures outside of like, 1/6th scale

The helmets are done with a finish that makes them look like a shiny plastic, VS the bodies which aren't. So they actually look like different materials. You see it better with the Yellow Ranger. That's great

Also the Tyranno Zord is amazing, holy poo poo. That's going to be scaled with the Godzilla line and I am SO happy. How is it 55 dollars, how doesn't it cost more I don't care I want it

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Got this McFarlane batman motorcycle for 10 bucks. Not a bad deal.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Louisgod posted:

There were two separate Links with Epona, oddly enough each by different companies from who made that Ganondorf. First was the Epona/Majora’s Mask Link by Epoch (all those figures are now crazy expensive).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2658451884...KhoC5yQQAvD_BwE

The other was by Toybiz, who also made a Zelda and Impa figure (and maybe another Ganondorf with horse?).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2658451884...KhoC5yQQAvD_BwE

Moral of the story is we need NECA or some company with talent to pick up the Nintendo license.

Oh for fucks sake, that is ridiculous. That is the set I had, bought on clearance back when TRU was still around and 9/11 hadn’t happened. :old: Also, Shiroc if you happen to go back to that HPB and Link’s still there can you let me know? Not asking you to do anything else but I think they can ship between stores and there’s a bunch of em around here. :)

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Joe Fisto posted:

Got this McFarlane batman motorcycle for 10 bucks. Not a bad deal.

Was it just the bike for ten bucks? Cause that vintage ghost rider that got announced sounds extra tempting now

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Was it just the bike for ten bucks? Cause that vintage ghost rider that got announced sounds extra tempting now

The bike came with the helmet. Not sure if the deal is still live on Amazon though. Also it might be a bit big for a ML fig.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Oh for fucks sake, that is ridiculous. That is the set I had, bought on clearance back when TRU was still around and 9/11 hadn’t happened. :old: Also, Shiroc if you happen to go back to that HPB and Link’s still there can you let me know? Not asking you to do anything else but I think they can ship between stores and there’s a bunch of em around here. :)

The one I saw was different from that so it might not be better for your goals

gregday
May 23, 2003

This is coming along better than expected. Yay for Duplicolor Metalcast.

I hit all 17 parts with sandpapers at 500, 1000, and 1500 grits before switching to pads and polishing wax, and it seems to have paid off. The masking around the repulsor could be better, but I can live with it. Tomorrow I paint the 14 finger segments and maybe start assembly.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That looks awesome.

Speaking of sanding, what do you guys use/recommend for things with lots of surface detail/weird angles?

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Bulgaroctonus posted:

US Amazon also has this for $15

gregday
May 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That looks awesome.

Speaking of sanding, what do you guys use/recommend for things with lots of surface detail/weird angles?

Either a flexible/foam sanding block, or, for concave surfaces wrapping sandpaper around some small object you can fit into the area. For convex surfaces, I usually form the sandpaper into a curve in the palm of my hand and rub the object into it.

For tiny stuff, a Dremel at 5-10rpm might be ok.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

gregday posted:

This is coming along better than expected. Yay for Duplicolor Metalcast.

I hit all 17 parts with sandpapers at 500, 1000, and 1500 grits before switching to pads and polishing wax, and it seems to have paid off. The masking around the repulsor could be better, but I can live with it. Tomorrow I paint the 14 finger segments and maybe start assembly.

To fix the small areas where the mask wasn't perfect, you can take your spray paint and just spray a little bit into some kind of little container (like a dixie cup or whatever recycled object is around) and use a small brush or even a toothpick to gently work it in around the edges. Either that or you could just work in a little watered-down black acrylic to both cover the "seam" and give it a bit of visual separation.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I honestly dunno if it's paint it or just hit it with some mother's mag polish. That poo poo is magical. Used it on my angel blade and it got a mirror finish.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Burkion posted:

https://twitter.com/Martian_Ranger/status/1563677147415207936

Super 7 holy poo poo they NAILED this

LOOK AT ALL OF THIS

I’m kind of underwhelmed with the Rangers, but it’s hard for me to articulate why. That Goldar and Zord are magnificent, though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Agrias120 posted:

I’m kind of underwhelmed with the Rangers, but it’s hard for me to articulate why. That Goldar and Zord are magnificent, though.

I'm in the same boat, though it's probably just the nature of the pictures. Not really posed, not lit well, etc.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

They're super simple which I think looks weird on an American toy. The thighs and arms are almost straight tubes. The ab cut on the green ranger is inexcusable imo. No reason not to have an upper chest cut like the female figs.yellow ranger looks significantly better than the green.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

They're super simple which I think looks weird on an American toy. The thighs and arms are almost straight tubes. The ab cut on the green ranger is inexcusable imo. No reason not to have an upper chest cut like the female figs.yellow ranger looks significantly better than the green.

The ab joint is because they're trying to meet people half way with posability and aesthetics, so I won't fault them for it even if I don't like it. Supposedly they'll be able to really crunch, but we'll see. The arms I'm fine with- they're not at all dissimilar to how the actual suits look.

But yeah the Rangers are by far the least interesting thing in the wave- and the Putty but he looks fine- but that's not because they're bad. It's honestly because...how many toys of THESE specific Rangers in the last decade have we gotten? In the last two decades?

If you want Rangers, you have options. So many options. So many, many options. *SO MANY*

You have just about every take you could want. And I genuinely believe these are some of the best, probably right below the Figuarts in terms of accuracy maybe better? But it's also like

Here's yet another MMPR team. But, for me, I never collected the MMPR beyond the 8 inch retro figures, and the 1/10th scale is MY scale, it's what I collect and what I prefer. So in those regards, I'm all for 'em.

But they still just flounder compared to the majesty of Goldar and the Tyranno Zord. I cannot loving wait to see the rest of the monsters and zords they put out now- and the Godzilla line built off of this.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

When I was a kid all my Power Rangers were 12” or whatever the big size was. These do nothing for me. I’m glad someone likes them though.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Wired capes are a lot of fun to mess with. Modern articulation certainly has come a long way and these are fun to pose.

Need a better lighting setup lol

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Went back to Target to return my defective Spidey and I checked that NECA display. All of the Usagis, Leos and toon 2-packs were gone. The only TMNT left were the pinball packs.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
If anyone sees a Usagi, I'll pay for it. I've decided I want it only now that it's impossible to find.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Cloks posted:

If anyone sees a Usagi, I'll pay for it. I've decided I want it only now that it's impossible to find.

I’ve got two Targets in town and only one had the new figures. Hopefully that means the second one will have them soon. If I see one I’ll grab it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Joe Fisto posted:

I’ve got two Targets in town and only one had the new figures. Hopefully that means the second one will have them soon. If I see one I’ll grab it.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I think with a lot of NECA stuff it starts out really hard to find but then there's kind of a deluge when it starts hitting Target in serious quantities. Like that Demona figure from Gargoyles used to be this hard to find, hot item, now there's piles of them everywhere.

I'm really tempted by their Usagi, might pick one up if I see it in person, but I'm trying to hold out for a Super 7 one that looks more like the old toy. I'm not really that familiar with the character but I had that toy and it was one of my favorites from vintage TMNT. I think the original design is pretty cool and it's such an inherently fun character, any version of him is going to be pretty neat, but my nostalgia is mostly for the toy.

I have kind of a soft spot for the idea of warrior rabbits in general. When I was little, my brother and I had these little articulated bunny rabbit people with fur, I couldn't tell you what this toy line was called but they were like a cross between a stuffed animal and an action figure. They were very much "little kid" toys. But anyway we made up this whole world for our little rabbit guys where they were like brave knights having fantasy adventures. Our mom sewed little capes for them, it was a whole thing. So seeing Usagi Yojimbo reminds me of that. A rabbit samurai instead of a rabbit knight. Even better?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Wired capes are a lot of fun to mess with. Modern articulation certainly has come a long way and these are fun to pose.

Need a better lighting setup lol

MotU stuff ain't my bag but that dude looks cool af.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Sentinel Red posted:

MotU stuff ain't my bag but that dude looks cool af.

Revelation, specifically, ain't my bag, but I've been tempted to get that guy just because he looks so great. Those pictures are awesome!

I wonder if there was a little bit of a Sun Man homage going on with that design, with the red/gold sunburst-looking heraldry and the big collar. Never really thought about it before, but I could picture them leaning into those similarities a little bit when designing what is essentially a "black He-Man" for the show. I know they're doing a whole other Sun Man for the Masterverse line, which also looks insanely cool, and they went a really different direction with the design.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Thanks for the kind words on my amateur-rear end photos, hah!

I made an album instead of 56king the thread up lol

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Cloks posted:

I’m definitely going to have to hunt one down too.

When I was two or three, I used to call him Socky Yojimbo. So, when my mom wanted me to put on my socks, she’d tell me to put on my Socky Yojimbos. She’ll still say it on occasion, and Stan Sakai was nice enough to politely chuckle when I told him that story. I just turned 37 a couple days ago.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Hey, does anyone here have a spare hellfire jean head from the marvel legends 4 pack from 2020 to sell me? I'm looking to make a Sage custom and the hair is perfect

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I have an extra full set, brand new, but I'm not gonna break it up.

If anyone wants that it's up for sale.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Thanks for the kind words on my amateur-rear end photos, hah!

Funny thing is, I think the photos being "amateur-rear end" only helps make the figure look good. Super professional photos with perfect lighting and flattering angles can lie to you about how a figure looks in hand. You just got some nice clear high-res photos with fun poses and neutral lighting, and it's like drat! That figure really shines all on its own. I don't think I'd really looked at the shield or the angry face sculpt before, and they're cool. He looks better in those photos than he does in his box at Target.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I haven’t done cool photos in forever. Too out of it lol

But look at this thing

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Thank you :) I'm enjoying indulging my inner child with posing and taking pictures of my toys lol. Gonna uncrate Broly and Gogeta, though stands would help, ha!

CelticPredator posted:

But look at this thing

Fukkn dope my goon

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Miles is the best. I’ll be a little honest I was a tad disappointed when I got him out because it was kind of a pain to do all the costume changes and I guess I still had the young rich one in my head so I wasn’t blown away at the start.

But then I got posing and playing and looking closer and I fell in love. Up there with Pennywise as figure of the year

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CelticPredator posted:

I haven’t done cool photos in forever. Too out of it lol

But look at this thing

I can’t wait to get mine! :dance:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I mainly love that he actually went with the hoodie while Peter bitches about the freezing cold when he's swinging around, sans jacket.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

I have a little rotating disply I keep by my desk. I set up some Spideys today.

Some of these are in desperate need of an update, especially the female figures. They're so drat hard to stand up with their tiny little feet.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Nice Spideys!

Target trip report:

* Caved in to the peer pressure and got a King Grayskull. Looking forward to opening that guy up!

* Saw one Usagi Yojimbo. Considered it, but one of his swords was a little bent and it was enough to stop me. Good toy though, maybe another time.

* They did not have that Spidey/Spinneret two-pack this time; it appears to have sold out quickly. Probably for the best, I don't need to be spending that money.

* The Buzz Lightyear stuff was actually starting to dwindle. I think kids might be getting into it, which would be good news for those of us who are enjoying the toys and want more. Nobody is buying the Target-exclusive "Alpha Class" two-pack with XL-15 Buzz and dress uniform Alisha, probably because it seems like it's the only "Alpha Class" thing that ever actually hit Target shelves, and that's a weird place to start a fancy 7" figure collection. I feel like it was a pretty bad miscalculation to flood stores with that pack without investing in the line as a whole. If a customer can't pick up the Space Ranger Buzz and Sox at that scale, they're not gonna start buying secondary characters and alternate outfits. Not when it retails for $43.

* Saw a little boy trying real hard to convince his mom that he needed a dinosaur mask:
"You're never going to wear that if we get it."
"Yes I will!"
"You already got the dinosaur claws and you never wear those."
"They're part of the set!"
(I left before I heard how it worked out, but I think he was wearing her down.)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My Amazing Fantasy Spidey is supposedly coming in Wednesday, so maybe keep an eye out at stores this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

I made another album of these two. Not too much camera magic happening here outside of the radial blur of portrait mode.

Looking forward to the figuarts stands I've purchased from bbts to arrive, which'll really help extend poseability.

E:

Last one for the night, had an idea and executed it lol

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 29, 2022