Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

The maesters framed it as "let us kill your wife and save the baby or do nothing and pray for a miracle, because right now as far as we can tell, they're both gonna die". He made a horrible but prrrrrrobably correct call, even if he did it in the weakest way possible by, y'know, not giving his wife any input on the decision or even a heads-up before they cut her to death.

GREAT BIG SPOILERS FOR PROBABLY THE WHOLE SHOW

Viserys is gonna marry Alicent and they have sons, so uh-oh, succession crisis. Viserys doesn't want to hear it because as far as he's concerned it's a settled matter, which helps nothing. Alicent's kids are of disputed parentage -- they look an awful lot like Lord Strong, the (Tarly-looking, but they're unrelated) guy on the Small Council, who Alicent is quite friendly with (or maybe his son, I'm not looking it up, whatever). Rhaenyra and Alicent become bitter, bitter rivals. Rhaenyra gets married and has sons of her own. Her sons and Alicent's sons hate each other. Their two factions are eventually named the Greens (Alicent) and the Blacks (Rhaenyra), after gowns they wore to one particular ball. Daemon is a repeated rake and gently caress-arounder, but Viserys loves him and they always make up. Rhaenyra and Criston Cole, the Dornish knight who won that tourney, become very close. Viserys keeps the peace in his own weak, not-quite-enough way.

Then he dies of old age.

Bloody civil war breaks out literally before his body is even cold.

Something happens between Rhaenyra, Daemon, and Cole. We don't know exactly what, except that from that day forth, Criston Cole is Rhaenyra's most devoted enemy and Daemon and Rhaenyra are sleeping together.

The Greens and Blacks gather up their respective loyal vassals and dragons and loving massacre each other, through open battle, secrecy, and treachery. Houses switch sides. Possession of King's Landing itself shifts multiple times. Near the very end, as King's Landing riots and is gripped by we're-all-gonna-die madness, an unknown mad preacher rises up out of nowhere, inciting a mob to storm the Dragonpit (the big round building where all the dragons live). They do and kill every dragon housed there, wiping out almost every surviving dragon that the civil war didn't already do for (and a lot of dragons are gonna die in this thing).

At the end of it, Rhaenyra's side "wins", as it's her son on the Iron Throne, but this is mostly because both sides are out of loving options -- he's the last known male Targaryen alive. He's wed to one of Alicent's descendants to seal the schism. The reigning Stark, having finally gotten his forces down from the North, rolls into town with a completely fresh army and is like "well, clearly none of you incompetent fuckers can be trusted, I'm in charge", makes himself Hand of the King, executes anyone who's still alive who was at all responsible for the war... then fucks off and goes home. Because he is smart and Starks shouldn't stay in King's Landing.

Both the new king and his wife are horribly psychologically broken by the war. Later on, she kills herself (probably) by jumping out of a window before they can even consumate the marriage. He lives a decently long time but is known as The Broken, The Unlucky, and The Dragonbane, because the few dragons who survived the war all die during his reign. (He's likely not very fond of them, having been forced to watch while Rhaenyra was fed alive to one.)

The Targaryens never really pull out of the doom spiral, although Aegon V does his best to arrest the decline and Rhaegar might've been able to do it, but Robert's warhammer never gave him a chance.

I really enjoy that the way Fire and Blood is written is that it's a history written by in-universe historians and so by definition has bias and blind spots, and so while technically book spoilers do exist, there's still a lot that has not been explained or covered that will be in the show. Did GRRM deliberately do it this way so that the inevitable show would still have some mystery? Probably. It's certainly got me hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Crapilicious posted:

I really enjoy that the way Fire and Blood is written is that it's a history written by in-universe historians and so by definition has bias and blind spots, and so while technically book spoilers do exist, there's still a lot that has not been explained or covered that will be in the show. Did GRRM deliberately do it this way so that the inevitable show would still have some mystery? Probably. It's certainly got me hooked.

yeah thats why i liked it. like the text very much goes "ok so i have three sources on this whole horror show, one supports one side, one supports the other and one kinda shits on both sides but really liked the queen and is written by a little person who pretended to be developmentally disabled and had a huge cock".

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Crapilicious posted:

I really enjoy that the way Fire and Blood is written is that it's a history written by in-universe historians and so by definition has bias and blind spots, and so while technically book spoilers do exist, there's still a lot that has not been explained or covered that will be in the show.

I did not know this, and now I am really wanting to read this book.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Crapilicious posted:

I didn't know that, that's a great concept for a prequel. Also aids in the adaptation, as mentioned.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

MrMojok posted:

I did not know this, and now I am really wanting to read this book.

Fire and Blood is an interesting book to discuss, but would not be very interesting for many people to read. Prose-wise, it's something that George could write out quickly. The way it reads is very: "This happened. Then this happened. Later, this happened..." There's a neat part later in the book where the "historian" writing it introduces two conflicting accounts, but what makes F&B interesting is that it's full of weird (intentional) inconsistencies that are meant to fuel conspiracy theories.

Preston Jacobs and his co-host, Redteamreview have an as-yet unfinished series on the book where they talk about these kinds of things and it's an interesting listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWRDRihhuhY

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm really disappointed that they didn't bother to come up with another cool title sequence. It also seems kind of a waste to hire Ramin Djawadi only to make him do the same score again.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Alhazred posted:

I'm really disappointed that they didn't bother to come up with another cool title sequence. It also seems kind of a waste to hire Ramin Djawadi only to make him do the same score again.

There is a new title sequence - they just didn't use it for the first episode for some reason.

Agreed on the score though. It really doesn't help sell that it's a new show with its own identity.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Shocking, but after two episodes I can say this show doesn't suck.

A lot of what disappointed me about the later GoT episodes was how all the feudal elements and precedents which formed the whole basis for the world it was set in just got thrown out. Here, they're front and centre.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

Shocking, but after two episodes I can say this show doesn't suck.

A lot of what disappointed me about the later GoT episodes was how all the feudal elements and precedents which formed the whole basis for the world it was set in just got thrown out. Here, they're front and centre.

Even just making the world feel populated was too much of an ask for late or even mid-stage GoT. One scene that I always remember was the one where Qyburn gave Bronn the crossbow to kill Tyrion. It took place in a drab set that made it feel like nobody else was around for a hundred miles.

Interesting to see Youtube channels that didn't have much material to work with for 3 years now suddenly uploading five videos a week on HotD.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 28, 2022

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

The opening sequence tries to mirror GoT so hard but serves no purpose. The original big map zooms were tailored for each episode to introduce us to the geography of the world and where the major story beats would take place. This is just a pale imitation that serves no narrative purpose.

They really should have gone for something drastically different.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

The opening sequence tries to mirror GoT so hard but serves no purpose. The original big map zooms were tailored for each episode to introduce us to the geography of the world and where the major story beats would take place. This is just a pale imitation that serves no narrative purpose.

Bring back the map but it's just:

Red Keep
*camera pulls back and swings around the world*
Red Keep
Red Keep
Red Keep

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Captain Splendid posted:

Strong agree. That was what really made the show for me, and I'm glad to see the return of episodes that are 40% council meetings by volume.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pennsylvanian posted:

Fire and Blood is an interesting book to discuss, but would not be very interesting for many people to read. Prose-wise, it's something that George could write out quickly. The way it reads is very: "This happened. Then this happened. Later, this happened..." There's a neat part later in the book where the "historian" writing it introduces two conflicting accounts, but what makes F&B interesting is that it's full of weird (intentional) inconsistencies that are meant to fuel conspiracy theories.

Preston Jacobs and his co-host, Redteamreview have an as-yet unfinished series on the book where they talk about these kinds of things and it's an interesting listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWRDRihhuhY

yeah, i think the biggest issue i have with the book is that it can be a slog and that some parts flow better then the others. like its a narrative history book obviously so its supposed to kinda flesh the world out and i think it does a good job setting the stage for the dance of dragons which is about the last third of the book. i think it works well enough as a plot set up because we have a full story with a beginning and ending but alot of the events are shrouded in mystery or vague/inconsistent so they can get to that point. its also so far made the characters more "realized" but thats kinda of a low bar. i like fantasy that tends to be "grounded" which is why i like grrms world(though his writing is mixed) and the witcher and i guess 40k since thats sorta counts.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

the intro being a copy of GOT is pretty bad/hackish. the dialogue is terrible in this 2nd episode, no subtlety at all. the cgi bad, and the wigs just continue taking me out of the whole thing.

i'm trying to like this but there's no gravity to anything. it feels like watching a bunch of GOT cosplayers making their own show

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Not defending the new titles, but the old titles -- though they started well -- quickly became dsynched to the music and wouldn't necessarily update regularly. They were good in concept, but got worse as the show went along IMO.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I'm pretty sure Viserys would almost rather have Rhanerya take over now and play with his models all day.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I couldn't tell what it was trying to be and it just became a bit of a mess. The takeaway from everyone liking the intro to the first show wasn't that it was full of little erector-set pieces, it was that it was laying out the different sources of political power at play (as well as telling us which places the episode would focus on like you said), but with this one I couldn't get a sense of what the whole apparatus was or what it was trying to tell us.

I can hazard some guesses, about how the house was built on the strength of the Targaryen blood and how it will eventually drown then, but if feels like the main importance was that it looks cool rather than contributes to the story in some way. I hope that isn't an omen.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
If I were the King of the Realm and had an evil brother, I would simply not do the one thing that would ensure a lifetime of strife and enmity.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Bring back the map but it's just:

Red Keep
Red Keep
Red Keep
Red Keep

this would own

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
At least everytime a new star trek show comes out they make an effort to make the title theme music unique, nope not hbo just loving recycle that poo poo with very uninteresting graphics

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Koirhor posted:

At least everytime a new star trek show comes out they make an effort to make the title theme music unique, nope not hbo just loving recycle that poo poo with very uninteresting graphics

Yeah, shoulda gone the exact opposite of what they did. New music, map intro

Apparently the blood is running down a family tree, which is super unclear.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 29, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, the new intro is dumb.

I am really digging the show so far, though.

Music on GoT was never something that really stood out to me. I usually didn’t really even notice it, but this show’s music seems different.

A lot of it is doing a good job of emphasizing how ominous a lot of these events are.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I do like that Dorky Targareon King just does the dumbest possible stuff whenever granted an opportunity. Like, what does he think is going to happen?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I am enjoying this show much more than I thought I would. Also glad I wasn’t the only one who thought this:

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1564070773563817986?s=21

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The intro is hot garbage, but the show is not. Hopefully HBO get it fixed for season 2. It really looks like something an amateur YouTuber put together for their GoT discussion channel.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The new intro is so baffling. It's unclear what it represents, I hoped that at the very end you would pull back and it would show what the whole thing looked like, but you only see it for a second before the title flares in. It spends far too much time on shots it thinks is cool, like a POV of something floating down the blood river, or quick flooding of symbols nobody can figure out because it's too fast and vague.

It's as if Zack Snyder directed the loving thing, all style over substance.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Viserys is a nice and decent man, unfortunately that is exactly what one cannot be in this position.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

PostNouveau posted:

Apparently the blood is running down a family tree, which is super unclear.
That was the vibe I was picking up right before(?) perspective shifted to what looked like blood flooding down a narrow street, but not with a ton of clarity. It fits thematically and could even provide opportunities for a genealogical twist on the focused geography.

I had transitioned to fully hatewatching right about as Missandei's head hit the ground, and hadn't returned since *the finale. Hearing the music again for something I'm cautioisly optimistic was cool. But then, I'm exceedingly basic.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 29, 2022

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
12 years old too young...so he chooses a 15 year old

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

as someone who loves the trope of people putting small symbolic objects on tables I am very much enjoying the program.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, Daegon's fiancee is the lady from Ex Machina, Maniac and Devs.

So she's not some rando off the street with a terrible accent like Shae.

Why in the gently caress is she doing that accent then? :psyduck: She's usually such a good actor.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Dumb political intrigue is what I liked most about GoT but the fact that so far there isn't really a major character I particularly like is making it harder for me to get into this.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
King Friendly announces a reckless decision that will shock and insult his tenuous allys in a manner all but designed to maximize it’s negative impact. Reminds me of the “stupid Ned Stark” meme from GOTs heyday.

People seem to fast travel a bit this episode, how much time passes during journeys to dragonstone and… sir driftwoods house (?) is unclear.

I think Crab Man has a mild crustacean allergy but just can’t help himself when it comes to wallowing in a crab torture field.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Nail Rat posted:

12 years old too young...so he chooses a 15 year old

Tbf the 12 year old looks and sounds like a 12 year old. The 15 year old could pass for a college sophomore.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Wasn't crazy about the intro (or reuse of the GOT theme), but that's probably the most inconsequential part, and I enjoyed the rest of the episode. Seems like things are advancing at a pretty fast rate (especially given the preview for next week), which is nice.

A Tasteful Nude posted:

People seem to fast travel a bit this episode, how much time passes during journeys to dragonstone and… sir driftwoods house (?) is unclear.
Driftmark and Dragonstone are right next to each other, and both are pretty close to King's Landing, so nothing in travel times was too crazy here.

TyrantWD posted:

Tbf the 12 year old looks and sounds like a 12 year old. The 15 year old could pass for a college sophomore.
Yeah, the actress for Alicent is 19. So like it's still weird given Viserys' age, but having an actual child playing Laena (the 12 year old) I think really helped sell how creepy that was and why Viserys wasn't having any part of it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: misread

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I think we'll keep getting timeskips up until the actual civil war King Goober just ensured would happen breaks out. Then things should slow down as the clusterfuck engulfs the entire realm and more characters show up.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Edit: removed due to spoilers

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 29, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Moving a little too slow for me honestly. I wonder how long it can really hold onto casual fans without the sort of gut punches that season one of Game of Thrones had. I woulda preferred seeing Daemon's dragon appearing through the clouds at the very end, about to confront the crab-feeders. Like, at least that'd give the ending a little bit of an oomph rather than just seeing some generic guy looking around, and woulda gotten the ball rolling on that plot already.

PostNouveau posted:

Oh poo poo, Daegon's fiancee is the lady from Ex Machina, Maniac and Devs.

So she's not some rando off the street with a terrible accent like Shae.

Why in the gently caress is she doing that accent then? :psyduck: She's usually such a good actor.
it's such a bad choice. I'm sure she's a decent actress, but she's super not pulling off that accent and in a show with decent to strong performances her scene this episode stuck out like a sore thumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I was extremely tepid on the first episode. It really felt like if a Season 7 GoT episode had better writing and production, what with so many characters stating obvious facts or talking about what the plot is doing.

The second episode has me much more interested. This really felt like it was supposed to be two episodes, but they cut the beginning off, stretched it out, and made it into the pilot.

EDIT: Yeah, that accent is not great. It really does remind me of Shae in a bad way.