Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

champagne posting posted:

oooh I would've gone boomer electrical engineer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhI88tg1Gqg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

code:
#define COMPANY_NAME_LITERAL_1UL (1uL)
Seriously? :doh: It's used all over the place too.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Yeah, that's stupid. I mean, if the company name changes then you have to rename the macro!

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Presto posted:

Yeah, that's stupid. I mean, if the company name changes then you have to rename the macro!

It is amazing how often people put company names on things in startups, when startup names change every 3-6 years.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Well even the giants too in the case of Meta/Alphabet

say why hasn't anyone demanded FAANG be updated to MAAAN yet

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

shame on an IGA posted:

It ignores Alphabet but I've heard MANGA

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Is Netflix is just there because it makes for better acronyms, right? Is there some huge Netflix payday I'm missing out, or do I just have the N completely wrong?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The N is Microsoft, by way of Nokia

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

StumblyWumbly posted:

Is Netflix is just there because it makes for better acronyms, right? Is there some huge Netflix payday I'm missing out, or do I just have the N completely wrong?

There was a time when Netflix looked like a rising giant, before people realized that its business model was not very difficult to replicate if you had your own library of streamable content.

Also IIRC the acronym was originally about big tech employers specifically in the Bay Area, which is the main reason it doesn’t include Microsoft. (Amazon is obviously huge in Seattle, but they’re still a major employer in SF.)

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
FAANG sounds like a good name for the Vampiric Council in What We Do in The Shadows

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Originally it was a stocks thing.
https://www.cnbc.com/id/100436754

quote:

If you're looking to play tech, think FANG, Bob Lang's acronym for Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, and Google. All 4 names appear to be turbocharged momentum stocks that could have a lot more room to run according to Lang's chart work.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

more falafel please posted:

It ignores Alphabet but I've heard MANGA

AMANA

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sagacity posted:

FAANG sounds like a good name for the Vampiric Council in What We Do in The Shadows

gently caress, it really does

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

smackfu posted:

Originally it was a stocks thing.
https://www.cnbc.com/id/100436754

"chart work" is pseudoscience and very much Not Real. the fact that the name comes from this dumbass is hilarious. it's like going around saying "yeah im pretty successful, i work for a pisces company". absolute nonsense.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ShimaTetsuo posted:

"chart work" is pseudoscience and very much Not Real. the fact that the name comes from this dumbass is hilarious. it's like going around saying "yeah im pretty successful, i work for a pisces company". absolute nonsense.

I read a book about how bad stock nonsense was in the 80s and they were making fun of "chart work", guess I shouldn't be surprised it's still around.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

rjmccall posted:

There was a time when Netflix looked like a rising giant, before people realized that its business model was not very difficult to replicate if you had your own library of streamable content.

Also IIRC the acronym was originally about big tech employers specifically in the Bay Area, which is the main reason it doesn’t include Microsoft. (Amazon is obviously huge in Seattle, but they’re still a major employer in SF.)

AFAIK this is the business model of every fintech as well:

Identify issue body currently handled by bank which could easily translate into an app, solve transfers / fraud detection / stock buying, get acquired

Actually solving the issue like with so many other startups is largely optional

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

shame on an IGA posted:

do not allow them to escape their sins by changing their names. FAANG they were, and FAANG they shall ever be

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Functional programming is an ideal fit for developing blockchains :mrgw:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
FP weenies, who historically have not been able to justify why their preferred paradigm is meaningfully better than other methods, does indeed sound like a fit for blockchain tech.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

leper khan posted:

FP weenies, who historically have not been able to justify why their preferred paradigm is meaningfully better than other methods, does indeed sound like a fit for blockchain tech.

It's more fun :colbert:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
:hmmyes: well played

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Truely pure functional languages offer the same utility as cryptocurrencies: converting electricity to heat

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Beef posted:

Truely pure functional languages offer the same utility as cryptocurrencies: converting electricity to heat

No they don't. Converting electricity to heat is a side effect and truly pure FP doesn't have side effects.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Ah so that is what the Entropy monad is for.

Beef fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 4, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Carbon dioxide posted:

No they don't. Converting electricity to heat is a side effect and truly pure FP doesn't have side effects.

:pusheen:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/bagder/status/1567162794092404742

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cursed knowledge

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Needs more semicolon

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

i didnt need this after my long weekend

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
https://twitter.com/punkeel/status/1567169658683277312?t=XLxTNP7hRcH0dQfaFUZY5g&s=19

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Nobody tell them about POSIX file paths

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Guido never was a fan of the functional coding crowd. Turns out he laid a cunning trap!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Found in code by the lovely PHP guy at work that I've mentioned earlier (This is from some JS);-
code:
  switch(true){
        case(v >= d[0].v):
            p = d[0].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[0].v && v >= d[1].v):
            p = d[1].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[1].v && v >= d[2].v):
            p = d[2].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[2].v && v >= d[3].v):
            p = d[3].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[3].v && v >= d[4].v):
            p = d[4].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[4].v && v >= d[5].v):
            p = d[5].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[5].v && v >= d[6].v):
            p = d[6].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[6].v && v >= d[7].v):
            p = d[7].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[7].v && v >= d[8].v):
            p = d[8].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[8].v && v >= d[9].v):
            p = d[9].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[9].v && v >= d[10].v):
            p = d[10].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[10].v && v >= d[11].v):
            p = d[11].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[11].v && v >= d[12].v):
            p = d[12].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[12].v && v >= d[13].v):
            p = d[13].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[13].v && v >= d[14].v):
            p = d[14].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[14].v && v >= d[15].v):
            p = d[15].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[15].v && v >= d[16].v):
            p = d[16].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[16].v && v >= d[17].v):
            p = d[17].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[17].v && v >= d[18].v):
            p = d[18].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[18].v && v >= d[19].v):
            p = d[19].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[19].v && v >= d[20].v):
            p = d[20].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[20].v && v >= d[21].v):
            p = d[21].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[21].v && v >= d[22].v):
            p = d[22].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[22].v && v >= d[23].v):
            p = d[23].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[23].v && v >= d[24].v):
            p = d[24].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[24].v && v >= d[25].v):
            p = d[25].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[25].v && v >= d[26].v):
            p = d[26].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[26].v && v >= d[27].v):
            p = d[27].p;
            break;
        case(v < d[27].v && v >= d[28].v):
            p = d[28].p;
            break;
    }
:ughh:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
uuuugh why not use a loving loop?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Anyway the real horror of this week is -ffast-math and people discovering that it causes the final artifact to link a tiny library that changes FPU state on load.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Xarn posted:

This is by the new recruit thats replaced our node.js TCP edge server that could handle 40K connections without breaking a sweat with a PHP abomination filled with SQL interpolations and other "Didnt PHP coders learn this lesson in the 90s?!" horrors that pegs the server on 80 connections, and nobody can convince the boss that he's incompetent.

And yeah that entire bit of code and the lookup table it references replaced a very accurate 3rd order polynomial model that we spent weeks working out the coefficients for, because this clown doesnt do maths. 2 lines of code is what it replaced. For this abomination.

And yes I'm pissed off. But management will management.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 8, 2022

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
That is amazing. You can tell somebodys _really_ proud of that trick to substitute for-loops or if/else-chains

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Xarn posted:

Anyway the real horror of this week is -ffast-math and people discovering that it causes the final artifact to link a tiny library that changes FPU state on load.
Haha. This can be a real ballache, no library ever expects the FPU settings to be messed with and it breaks so many things.

Many years ago this used to be problem with the tool Game Maker. It used doubles as its basic numeric type but to the great frustration of many it often had unexpectedly low precision results. Years later, it turned out to be some DirectX7 setting which changed the FPU settings on load unless you specifically opted out of it.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Xarn posted:

Code so bad it looks like the result of decompilation.

I see that kind of thing fairly often when hardware designers write C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

duck monster posted:

This is by the new recruit thats replaced our node.js TCP edge server that could handle 40K connections without breaking a sweat with a PHP abomination filled with SQL interpolations and other "Didnt PHP coders learn this lesson in the 90s?!" horrors that pegs the server on 80 connections, and nobody can convince the boss that he's incompetent.

And yeah that entire bit of code and the lookup table it references replaced a very accurate 3rd order polynomial model that we spent weeks working out the coefficients for, because this clown doesnt do maths. 2 lines of code is what it replaced. For this abomination.

And yes I'm pissed off. But management will management.

Quietly revert the changes and get him assigned to some kind of pet project for someone who won't actually be there next year.