Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/fuckcars/comments/wzmexy/truckbrain_cantt_even_reach_the_step_to_her_car/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

That's hosed up, you can't gouranga children.

Once I saw a lifted pickup with tinted windows and a flag mounted on each rear corner - one Canadian, one confederate. People booed the driver while they tried and failed to parallel park and they gave up and floored it out of there. This was pre-pandemic and this pre-convoy.

Anyway ask me anything about never owning a car. It's pretty simple you just let your learner's permit expire and then take a bike/transit.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol i saw a gigantic lifted truck take way too long to try to park at the grocery store this morning. just drive a smaller vehicle it's very simple.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

Of course, in reality obviously not all americans buy new cars since there is plenty of demand for used cars, but it does seem like there are also lots of people who do buy new cars and then trade them in every few years for some insane reason.

Because a new car every two or three years is what my daddy and his daddy did. It’s a mark of being middle class and making it in America, and I will show everyone that I’m middle class and that I’ve made it, even if it bankrupts me.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

that thing seems like it would have a very high centre of gravity, like it would rollover real easily

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
not much risk of rolling over when you just drive it to work and The Costco

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If some people didn't buy new cars every few years the rest of us wouldn't have any used cars to buy. I can't even imagine buying a new car. Just unbelievably expensive.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If some people didn't buy new cars every few years the rest of us wouldn't have any used cars to buy. I can't even imagine buying a new car. Just unbelievably expensive.

or America would be like Cuba where they just keep cars from the 1950s running forever

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's just really depressing that these things are even allowed to exist.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not pictured: the truck crushing the trampoline as she backs out of the garage.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

withak posted:

Not pictured: the truck crushing the trampoline as she backs out of the garage.

she probably goes through a couple of trampolines a week if she actually does that every time she gets in the truck

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

my dad bought his last two cars and barely drove them and just kept them meticulous lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my dad always leased a new car every two or three years but i think he got okay deals on them because he only drove like 30 miles a week or something. still a gigantic waste of money though.

the dream is to drive zero miles a week and have no car payment or car

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

She could just climb into the truck like a rock wall, the trampoline is pure American extravagance

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

lobster shirt posted:

the dream is to drive zero miles a week and have no car payment or car

it rules

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Pryor on Fire posted:

The only thing worse than diesel is biodiesel. And possibly ethanol.

some time ago i had an elderly diesel car I ran on chip fat. I'd leave for work at 5am and the fuel was so thick it would crank over, noisily, for AGES until, just before the battery died it would burst into life, again, very loudly, and spew out a huge smokescreen. I'm surprised none of my neighbours ever hit me with a wooden bat. did 55mpg on cooking oil though, very cheap motoring.

Gripweed posted:

Awhile back I tried that show, listened to the most recently released episode. It turned out to be an interview with a fat acceptance activist. The main thrust of the episode was that we need to do away with the harmful stereotype that cycling is a good way to lose weight. They also talked about how "obese" is a slur and how "morbidly obese" makes no sense as a diagnosis because how can someone be morbidly obese if they're still alive?

It was honestly almost nostalgic, I hadn't heard fat acceptance mentioned since the Obama administration.

just read the transcript, and she seems to want people to promote cycling but without ever mentioning fitness? they link to a podcast which claims to 'debunk weight loss" which I just have to hear. over 41,000 patrons

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Think I wanna get rid of my truck and get an ebike with illegal modifications to make it go 60mph

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Reminder to always carry a hefty ulock to lock up at your destination. They also serve other purposes!
https://twitter.com/ctftx/status/1563695576302362624?t=tt-O0j2hhl73sCqiVE82Ow&s=19

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

cool av posted:

but buying the car IS an out of pocket cost, if anything they are being generous by amortizing it and assuming you will get some of it back
Get your accounting logic out of here! But for real, even without depreciation a car is still wildly more expensive than public transit or a bicycle. The only more expensive option is taking a taxi or Uber everywhere, which is a car with a driver.

lobster shirt posted:

lol i saw a gigantic lifted truck take way too long to try to park at the grocery store this morning. just drive a smaller vehicle it's very simple.
Inform the driver that it's too much truck for them to handle. They may not realize it yet.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

Reminder to always carry a hefty ulock to lock up at your destination. They also serve other purposes!
https://twitter.com/ctftx/status/1563695576302362624?t=tt-O0j2hhl73sCqiVE82Ow&s=19
When people do this they should fine them $10,000 and use the money for bike infrastructure maintenance

Edit: Also take away their license of course

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Is that a taxi? surely doing something that stupid should mean you are not allowed to be a taxi driver anymore.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Horace posted:

Is that a taxi? surely doing something that stupid should mean you are not allowed to be a taxi driver anymore.
"sorry you're too bad at driving to be a taxi driver, but if you can drive just a little bit worse you can get a job as a cop"

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

or America would be like Cuba where they just keep cars from the 1950s running forever

that only works if the cars are simple to maintain with high build quality, imagine trying to keep one of those monster trucks running for 70 years

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

1950s American car build quality wasn't very good even by modern Big Three standards. The cars were just dick simple.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Heh nice

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Mayor Dave posted:

that only works if the cars are simple to maintain with high build quality, imagine trying to keep one of those monster trucks running for 70 years

*local blacksmith hammering a red hot piece of iron into a new body control module for a 50 year old stellantis product*

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

some plague rats posted:

lol this thread is 337 pages long. jesus christ.

jesus, you're right: those are rookie numbers. I need to step up and post more about how much I loving hate cars.

that's a bit under the estimate from this study in Germany. I imagine if you ran these numbers on Americans it'd be worse

Journal of Ecological Economics posted:

The lifetime cost of driving a car

The car is one of the most expensive household consumer goods, yet there is a limited understanding of its private (internal) and social (external) cost per vehicle-km, year, or lifetime of driving.

This paper provides an overview of 23 private and ten social cost items, and assesses these for three popular car models in Germany for the year 2020. Results confirm that motorists underestimate the full private costs of car ownership, while policy makers and planners underestimate social costs.

For the typical German travel distance of 15,000 car kilometers per year, the total lifetime cost of car ownership (50 years) ranges between €599,082 for an Opel Corsa to €956,798 for a Mercedes GLC. The share of this cost born by society is 41% (€4674 per year) for the Opel Corsa, and 29% (€5273 per year) for the Mercedes GLC.

Findings suggest that for low-income groups, private car ownership can represent a cost equal to housing, consuming a large share of disposable income. This creates complexities in perceptions of transport costs, the economic viability of alternative transport modes, or the justification of taxes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

$5000 per year borne by society for each car lmao. It's loving stupid

You could literally just give everyone free transit and it would be much cheaper.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Clark Nova posted:

she probably goes through a couple of trampolines a week if she actually does that every time she gets in the truck

She's literally going to costco for a tramp run. Gonna have to open them in the parking lot so she can leave

Cugel the Clever posted:

I guarantee the guy john gotti killed was less a piece of poo poo than this

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't know how to post just the video but it's worth clicking through.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sanfrancisco/comments/x04pay/just_a_minute/

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

LoL the traffic cop straight up being like "you don't know if their packing or what"

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
lmao aaaaaaaaaa

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

withak posted:

I don't know how to post just the video but it's worth clicking through.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sanfrancisco/comments/x04pay/just_a_minute/

Gone

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
it was this video https://twitter.com/braitsch/status/1496645418876227588?s=21&t=IKWQ_9Fa53w8pa99weBkcw

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Car sewer sounds like it could be kinda cool like the place where you start your adventure fighting tough mutant rats and work your way up to the mutant ninja turtles, or I guess it could be the tunnel where old lovely cars are flushed out into the ocean?

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

Cugel the Clever posted:

just one more lane bro. i promise bro just one more lane and it'll fix everything bro. bro. just one more lane. please just one more. one more lane and we can fix this whole problem bro. bro cmon just give me one more lane i promise bro. bro bro please i just need one more lane thats i

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

I used to commute by bike on this street almost a decade ago and had to switch to BART on Fridays/Saturdays because I would almost die so often. It appears nothing's changed :thumbsup:

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
i hate cars

Kicked Throat has issued a correction as of 07:14 on Sep 4, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
such an emergency they couldn't be bothered to pull 2 feet closer to the curb and leave at least one lane open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Kicked Throat posted:

ran into these fellas taking just a minute the other day
https://i.imgur.com/oo86wvl.mp4
bla bla bla responding to an emergency

The real emergency is so few bollards protecting that bike lane