Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
like i would have swore on a stack of bibles the part in red was new brunswick, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Didn't even de-select the oval before taking a screenshot smh

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

no but you see an independent Scotland outside the EU will become Norway!!!

(an independent Scotland outside the EU will not, under any circumstances, become Norway, and it will massively suffer until it is able to join the EU as a full member)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Venomous posted:

(an independent Scotland outside the EU will not, under any circumstances, become Norway, and it will massively suffer until it is able to join the EU as a full member)
there is one way it could become norway....

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CoolCab posted:

like i would have swore on a stack of bibles the part in red was new brunswick, lol

lmao the st lawrence estuary is very very important in canadian history!!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

there is one way it could become norway....

I mean I am very much down with Norway annexing an independent Scotland, but Truss'll probably nuke them if they do so

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

i say swears online posted:

lmao the st lawrence estuary is very very important in canadian history!!

worst part is i've travelled through there. it's been awhile alright!!!!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Venomous posted:

I mean I am very much down with Norway annexing an independent Scotland, but Truss'll probably nuke them if they do so
I think the flag might confuse her enough that they'd be safe.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Where do you think all Britain's nukes are

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Spain will need to get in line or else they get Greeced

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Venomous posted:

have you seen the trajectory the EU is currently on?

I'm not sure the EU can help anyone anymore, even if it wanted to, which it doesn't

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/08/how-youtubes-partnership-londons-police-force-censoring-uks-drill-music

UK police are YouTube mods.

quote:

In June 2019, Operation Domain was replaced by Project Alpha, which involves police officers from gang units operating a database of 34 different categories, including drill music videos, and monitoring sites for intelligence about criminal activity. According to Vice, 1,006 rap videos have been included on the database since 2020 and a heavily redacted Met document notes that Project Alpha aimed to carry out “systematic monitoring or profiling on a large scale,” with men aged between 15 to 21 the primary focus.

YouTube’s partnership with London’s police includes giving Project Alpha officers “trusted flagger” status to “achieve a more effective and efficient process for the removal of online content”—which the Met has called “a global first for law enforcement.” When sites cooperate with government agencies in these systems of content moderation, it leaves the platform inherently biased in favor of the government’s positions and gives law enforcement outsized influence to control public dialogue, suppress dissent, and blunt social movements. It also pressures platforms to moderate speech they may not otherwise have chosen to moderate.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

yeah i wonder exactly how many people in the conservatives are rich purely through agriculture and it's probably near zero

oh, i missed this.the area i'm living in was historically agricultural and rich as hell, because it's where the livestock market all happened and as such it became something of a hub for wealthy landowners who lived in a city and paid someone to watch their cows, or sheep or whatever. there are tons of people who made their money in agriculture but it's more of a consequence of owning land and valuable property like cattle.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CoolCab posted:

oh, i missed this.the area i'm living in was historically agricultural and rich as hell, because it's where the livestock market all happened and as such it became something of a hub for wealthy landowners who lived in a city and paid someone to watch their cows, or sheep or whatever. there are tons of people who made their money in agriculture but it's more of a consequence of owning land and valuable property like cattle.

oh yeah 100% i explicitly mean someone tossing hay bales ending up in congress, which absolutely happens in the US. it's just that their family owns 20,000 acres instead of 200 and they went to the big ol' city for a fancy education on nitrate use. it's super different from eton

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if the UK posters itt don't pay attention to US poltics we're gearing up for an election in early november. the ohio senate candidate, JD Vance, is polling well below the national average and he embodies our version of a local poor kid who came back home as a fancy boy after harvard. ohio isn't the funniest race this cycle (that's pennsylvania) but it's very emblematic of US politics in 2022

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

If someone owns a shitload of land it's really a secondary matter if they get rich from paying people to grow crops or raise cattle on it or if they charge people a shitload of their income to live or travel on it, that's a battle over distribution of surplus value extracted from the working class. This was demonstrated in the 1800s by battles between the traditional aristocracy against industrialists where even the losing side was allowed to transform itself into the same mode of production as the dominant political form of capital accumulation, although if the rentiers got the best of it then it mostly meant losing the subsequent war against a European power which was successfully combining industrial and financial capitalism.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

there are absolutely loads of tories who own embarrassingly enormous swathes of land which they lease long term for agricultural use

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

in is in fact the very basis of wealth for much of your aristocracy

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

bitmap posted:

there are absolutely loads of tories who own embarrassingly enormous swathes of land which they lease long term for agricultural use

To go back to my hobby horse, as of 2019, the Scottish government reckon that 57% of rural Scotland (& this is a country that is mostly very rural) is owned by private landowners. Meanwhile the land reformer Andy Wightman estimates about 50% of rural Scotland is owned by just 432 people. England is no better, somewhere between 30% & 47% is owned by the aristocracy & gentry (17% is most likely mostly aristocracy but ownership on the land registry is uncertain/undeclared), another 17% is owned by the nouveau riche. Extremely healthy state of affairs

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

forkboy84 posted:

To go back to my hobby horse, as of 2019, the Scottish government reckon that 57% of rural Scotland (& this is a country that is mostly very rural) is owned by private landowners. Meanwhile the land reformer Andy Wightman estimates about 50% of rural Scotland is owned by just 432 people. England is no better, somewhere between 30% & 47% is owned by the aristocracy & gentry (17% is most likely mostly aristocracy but ownership on the land registry is uncertain/undeclared), another 17% is owned by the nouveau riche. Extremely healthy state of affairs

"government"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bitmap posted:

in is in fact the very basis of wealth for much of your aristocracy

that's kinda what I was getting at; I think the vast majority of Tories have wealth through bourgeois endeavors instead of any kind of adherence to the First Estate

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/aug/28/britons-need-to-be-less-squeamish-about-drinking-water-from-sewage-says-agency-head

^: tories, bourgeois? perish the thought

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gonadic io posted:

^: tories, bourgeois? perish the thought

historically they weren't!! the liberals were

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Regarde Aduck posted:

have you seen the trajectory the EU is currently on?

I'm not sure the EU can help anyone anymore, even if it wanted to, which it doesn't

Top-tier bitter brit posting.

I'm grateful at least my family lives in an EU country, it's pretty good all told.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Is that because of the EU though, or because that particular country has better working state functions?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-62703858

quote:

Energy bills: Liz Truss 'rules out' more direct help for all

Liz Truss has "ruled out" further direct support for everyone to help cover the cost of surging energy bills, sources close to her have told the BBC.

Rishi Sunak, who is vying with her to become the next prime minister, has said the government "must provide some direct support to everyone".

But Ms Truss's team said she was not considering further universal support, like the £400 payment that all households will receive this winter.

Reports suggest a VAT cut is an option.

a VAT cut, something not paid on food, will do precisely gently caress all to help people struggling. boy this winter gon be fun

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/RichardWellings/status/1563099789625270275?t=tomfA2xKjfoge0H6Q209bw&s=19

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
all libertarians are stupid but Brit libertarians somehow manage to be the most stupid

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
guy who keeps incidentally suggesting book burning to solve problems

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CoolCab posted:

guy who keeps incidentally suggesting book burning to solve problems

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

CoolCab posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-62703858

a VAT cut, something not paid on food, will do precisely gently caress all to help people struggling. boy this winter gon be fun

im sure 4.5 quid per household per day is gonna really solve winter problems in this economic climate

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

MikeCrotch posted:

Is that because of the EU though, or because that particular country has better working state functions?

There's a lot of good things that come with the EU, being able to travel to all the neighbouring countries hassle-free for one, doing whatever you want there same as if you were a citizen. Also the EU has been pushing strongly to curtail corruption and improve minority rights and challenge sexist social attitudes, which is quite nice too all told.

Plus all the invisible standards stuff and that, like rivers not being full of sewage and chicken not being full of campylobacter.

e: The travelling bit somewhat more useful when you don't have to spend forever waiting at a tunnel or get on a boat or a plane to do so, admittedly.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 15:38 on Aug 28, 2022

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

historically they weren't!! the liberals were

true, but after Lord Salisbury was like 'actually, yeah, industrial capitalism is good' the proletariat underneath looked from aristocrat to bourgeois, and from bourgeois to aristocrat, and from aristocrat to bourgeois again: but already it was impossible to say which was which.

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

lol make london smog great again

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

If you have a modern efficient wood stove that burns hot and you know how to use it they don't produce any smoke, it's not a bad option. But in my experience living that life about half the stoves are old as poo poo and just smoke out the whole neighborhood.

Remember that brit goon who posted six months ago about how happy he was Boris is in charge because we needed a tough conservative to deal with Russia? I just want to watch a livestream of him receiving and opening his electricity bills each month.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Why don't the old just sell themselves as fuel to the rich?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

How I feel as an American posting in this thread
https://i.imgur.com/IHJebMY.mp4

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

get some kids to clean the chimneys too

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Britons need to be ‘less squeamish’ about drinking water from sewage, says agency head

Environment Agency chief calls for new attitudes to conserve water and avoid droughts

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/aug/28/britons-need-to-be-less-squeamish-about-drinking-water-from-sewage-says-agency-head

quote:

“We need to remember where it comes from: when we turn on the tap, what comes out started in a river, lake or aquifer. The more we take, the more we drain those sources and put stress on nature and wildlife.”

British man unfamiliar with the concept of rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
we can't drink sewage because some fuckers are dumping it in the rivers and seas.