Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Great Beer posted:

:allears:

I'm eagerly awaiting your update to this post.

I already watched Glitch get into the champions tourney. That's what my post was about. It's weapon is impressive, but the thing sucks out loud and can't move worth a drat. Every fight prior to Rotator was poo poo and it didn't so much "win" as "lose less" than its opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Gonna be so choked if Glitch crab walks its way to a championship

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Railing Kill posted:

I already watched Glitch get into the champions tourney. That's what my post was about. It's weapon is impressive, but the thing sucks out loud and can't move worth a drat. Every fight prior to Rotator was poo poo and it didn't so much "win" as "lose less" than its opponents.

The floor being mega hosed up is a huge impediment to Glitch. I don't think they'll ever make a deep tournament run if they don't adjust to it.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

The floor being mega hosed up is a huge impediment to Glitch. I don't think they'll ever make a deep tournament run if they don't adjust to it.

Exactly. The low wedge meta has its limits due to the practical realities of the box, and I feel like Glitch is beyond that limit. Give me a drum spinner that hits like a mack truck but can maneuver for both offense and defense. It's Minotaur I can't wait to see Glitch get turned into chunky marinara by a bot like Tombstone or Endgame.

I just watched Blacksmith v. Bloodsport. Instant classic. :allears:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

So I'm caught up and I just saw the bracket for the final prelim tournament airing this week. Personal bias aside, the mystery boss fight in that one has got to be Minotaur, right? Or maybe Witch Doctor? I'm trying to think of other high-profile, perennially winning bots that haven't already been in these prelim rounds.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Railing Kill posted:

Glitch is a rookie bot with some maneuverability issues that I'm sure they've been working on pretty much nonstop during the like 2 or so weeks they film Battlebots. Can't hate the team and say their bot sucks, every rookie bot has issues. They just happen to be good enough to survive through it. Also it's hard for them for the Slugfest tournament, all 4 of the fights were all filmed in 1 day, so not easy to fix any big issues. They probably won't get through the golden bolt bracket, but they might also be able to work on the maneuverability with the couple days off they probably had before it.

Railing Kill posted:

So I'm caught up and I just saw the bracket for the final prelim tournament airing this week. Personal bias aside, the mystery boss fight in that one has got to be Minotaur, right? Or maybe Witch Doctor? I'm trying to think of other high-profile, perennially winning bots that haven't already been in these prelim rounds.

All of the bosses in this Slugfest are the bots that one their Bounty tournament last season. So Witch Doctor will be the final boss. And outside of the gatekeepers, none of the bots that are in the Slugfest tournaments made a deep run in the main season tournament. Pretty much how they did Bounty Hunters season 1 that pissed people off when they realized they were spoiling the main bracket :lol:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also it's hard for them for the Slugfest tournament, all 4 of the fights were all filmed in 1 day,

I don't think that's actually true - That seems like a television production white lie to make things seamless for the viewer. All the builder blogs talk about having two fights in two days being really difficult, when that happens.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Glitch is a rookie bot with some maneuverability issues that I'm sure they've been working on pretty much nonstop during the like 2 or so weeks they film Battlebots. Can't hate the team and say their bot sucks, every rookie bot has issues. They just happen to be good enough to survive through it. Also it's hard for them for the Slugfest tournament, all 4 of the fights were all filmed in 1 day, so not easy to fix any big issues. They probably won't get through the golden bolt bracket, but they might also be able to work on the maneuverability with the couple days off they probably had before it.

It may be a function of how few opportunities these teams have to field test their bots. But I feel like they looked the same in the last regular season and won all of their matches despite their build, rather than because of it, just like in this tourney. They even got DQ'd after last season due to some technical issue (?), so it's not like this team is new to major issues with how this thing is built. I don't dislike the team and I like seeing a new-ish type of bot like this one, but its fights are uniformly terrible because all they can do is drunkenly stumble around the box. I feel like six matches is a good enough sample size to say this bot is overrated until they figure out their major mobility issues.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

All of the bosses in this Slugfest are the bots that one their Bounty tournament last season. So Witch Doctor will be the final boss. And outside of the gatekeepers, none of the bots that are in the Slugfest tournaments made a deep run in the main season tournament. Pretty much how they did Bounty Hunters season 1 that pissed people off when they realized they were spoiling the main bracket :lol:

Ahhh. That makes more sense. I hadn't bothered to look up past Bounty Hunter winners but I could tell that was the major factor in picking the boss bots.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Railing Kill posted:

It may be a function of how few opportunities these teams have to field test their bots. But I feel like they looked the same in the last regular season and won all of their matches despite their build, rather than because of it, just like in this tourney. They even got DQ'd after last season due to some technical issue (?), so it's not like this team is new to major issues with how this thing is built. I don't dislike the team and I like seeing a new-ish type of bot like this one, but its fights are uniformly terrible because all they can do is drunkenly stumble around the box. I feel like six matches is a good enough sample size to say this bot is overrated until they figure out their major mobility issues.

This "season" was filmed in the same 2 (3?) week period as the last season. It's the same bot, just a couple days after their tourney DQ

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

That makes yet more sense. Hmm. I hope they figure things out before the next full season because I like the idea of an omnidirectional bot and all the tactical issues that can cause for opponents.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Shatter is a great example of meccanum wheels done well. They're a really good bot, despite their hammer being mostly useless. Being able to spin around an opponent while keeping sharp side to them is killer.

edit:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They had weapon issues too. The weapon problems caused them to have to withdraw from the playoffs (and gave Witch Doctor that almost-bye against Mammoth)

Lots of first-year gremlins in that bot

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I know based off the judging criteria (which I didn't know was so descriptive, which is good) bloodsport lost, but drat it really felt like they were cheated when I watched. I hate it when it devolves into a shoving match and the shover wins.

Blacksmith is going down the right road by turning their useless saw into a less useless saw, but drat it's still not very good. They need to shove a sawblaze style saw on that thing and go to town, but honestly they looked a little less durable already with their new setup. I'm guessing something in their chassis or elsewhere is just too heavy and too much went from armor to weapon. :shrug:

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

LOL Piff the Magic Dragon is in the audience. That or a short guy was able to accurately mimic the costume with matching face mask. Makes sense since Piff has an act in Vegas

e: seems a cameraman just figured it out too since they zoomed in on him a few seconds ago

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 1, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1564206275885506561

Tough call between Black Dragon and Whiplash. I guess I'll predict Whiplash wins and Witch Doctor advances.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I'm shocked Perfect Phoenix made it the whole 3 minutes. It seemed like it was barely moving after every hit.

Oh Overhaul. I actually thought you might have a chance for a minute there.

Hijiinx's weird shape seems to have given Whiplash a ton of problems at the beginning.

Ghost Raptor winning was a bit of a surprise.

Perfect Phoenix is not very effective in beanie form.

I don't know how Matt Vasquez does it. On paper, Whiplash shouldn't beat a bot like Black Dragon. Hell, it should struggle to beg for judges' decisions against Hijinx. But at the end of the fight, Black Dragon is all kinds of hosed up and never had a chance even though it had the only real weapon in the fight.

Very technical fight to end it. Some really good driving on both sides. Witch Doctor finally got that one opening it needed and capitalized.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
Where the heck is sawblaze

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

TheKnife posted:

Where the heck is sawblaze

Much like season 1 of Bounty Hunters, they filmed the slugfest alongside the main tournament. So Outside of the bots that won their season 1 bounty hunter and got to be gatekeepers, none of the bots that made a deep run in the 2021 championship tournament were part of the slugfest. Black Dragon, Whiplash, and Uppercut were all taken out in the sweet 16.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Black Dragon that was almost embarrassing

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

All the first round fights were very good and super engaging!

The middle was a little uneven.

Great finale though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
LOL @ Shrederator making excuses before the fight even begins, and then smashing the head off Ghost Raptor and still managing to lose. They snatched defeat from the jaws of victory!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They put up the bracket for the Golden Bolt! Putting Glitch up against Witch Doctor is a pretty cool choice since that was their match for the main tournament they couldn't compete in. Also setting up a potential for Witch Doctor & Tantrum to meet up again for another final fight!

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 2, 2022

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
What on Earth happened to Black Dragon? Its like they'd never fought before.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bertha the Toaster posted:

What on Earth happened to Black Dragon? Its like they'd never fought before.

Matt Vasquez is just that good with Whiplash. Also had the benefit of his lifter arm being the right size to get in and pick Black Dragon up by it's Egg Beater slot.

Whiplash was likely ahead of Witch Doctor too until they managed to get a couple hits and the KO, but Mike is also one of the top tier driver's in the sport and took him until the last minute to get an opening.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They put up the bracket for the Golden Bolt! Putting Glitch up against Witch Doctor is a pretty cool choice since that was their match for the main tournament they couldn't compete in. Also setting up a potential for Witch Doctor & Tantrum to meet up again for another final fight!

Oh man, I hope that semi is Witch Doctor-Hypershock. They share a workshop and Hypershock used to do a bunch of videos with them. Those teams are joined at the hip.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Whiplash was likely ahead of Witch Doctor too until they managed to get a couple hits and the KO, but Mike is also one of the top tier driver's in the sport and took him until the last minute to get an opening.

Whiplash was definitely winning right up until the end.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Matt Vasquez is just that good with Whiplash. Also had the benefit of his lifter arm being the right size to get in and pick Black Dragon up by it's Egg Beater slot.

I agree with this 100%
Two very good drivers who don't panic and are able to pull off exactly what they mean to do with their bots. Matt is so good with Whiplash he is able to elevate the bot to another level.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
A+ driving as usual from whiplash. It's a bot that would fester in the bottom of any ranking because of it's control bot design but incredible driving just brings it to the big leagues. I think they should've made their front forks be able to break off if needed to (a bit like endgame) because if that fork was not in the way it could've controlled the fight a bit better and maybe had a better outcome.

Ghost Raptor Reliability Challenge (IMPOSSIBLE)

When I saw that perfect phoenix was running a tiny bar and shed nearly 100 lbs from its max, I knew it was going to be tough. Nice that it was able to stick together in one piece (mostly), though.

Black Dragon always has some weird issue that ends up leading to a loss. It probably needs a redesign.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
It's pretty cool seeing how a bot that sheds 100 lbs performs in the arena. Weight really does matter, just to avoid getting thrown around as much.

A good demonstration that two 125lb bots would never compare to one 250lb bot.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

ante posted:

A good demonstration that two 125lb bots would never compare to one 250lb bot.

Don't make me post this again :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NatqZqh0e58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wE2UrtwOQg&t=130s

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Curious, so who came first, last rites or tombstone? Or is it the same guy?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Otteration posted:

It's still Ray Billings. He wasn't sure how licensing was going to work with Battlebots and ABC, so he named his Battlebots entry Tombstone instead of Last Rites.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Otteration posted:

It's the same guy. You can see Ray Billings for a sec right before the match starts. I think the name "Tombstone" is reserved for BattleBots, so when they enter the bot in other leagues it appears under different names. A bunch of teams do that, and have multiple weight class loadouts to enter different competitions.

Edit: dang!

Railing Kill fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 4, 2022

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Speaking of Robogames, just found out it's back on for 2023! Dunno if it's the same organization running it or not, but if the big groups are coming back (Ray Billings, Riobotz, etc.) it should be legit.

http://robogames.net/events.php

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Hypershock origin story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE7Gg7lvo8o

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ante posted:

Hypershock origin story:

Holy poo poo it's Baby Will Bales, he's so young his voice is just breaking. :v:

E: Bot Whisperer Pete Abrahamson at 10:44

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 4, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Buddy Lee Don't Play in the Street and Witch Doctor cameos at the end

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

Buddy Lee Don't Play in the Street and Witch Doctor cameos at the end

Those fights are also still up on Youtube from when fans uploaded them back in 2011 :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwjiqRA8R1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN4Yqtwb0Pc

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's still Ray Billings. He wasn't sure how licensing was going to work with Battlebots and ABC, so he named his Battlebots entry Tombstone instead of Last Rites.

Tanks.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A fun little nonsense fight NHRL did, probably in March. Depth Charge is from the same team that built Deep Six. There is also a video on their channel of Depth Charge's first fight where they broke one of the inner glass panels.

40LB Depth Charge Vs 8 beetle bots... Depth Charge also doesn't have wheels, and entirely relies on the 2 horizontal spinners to move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AryFjuibwSs&t=249s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Well that was something. Who signs up for that? Like you know normally you risk some amount of damage to your bot, but you know that your bot is not coming out of that in less than 8 pieces.