Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

As far as panic goes, panic buying loving Casemiro when De Jong didn't materialise is hardly the worst thing I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

TheRat posted:

As far as panic goes, panic buying loving Casemiro when De Jong didn't materialise is hardly the worst thing I've ever seen.

No you don't understand, should have kept on chasing De Jong before trying to buy Moutinho for £50m on deadline day, as Ed would've

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

These don’t seem concerning to you? All of these transfers very much seem like panic buys made at eye watering prices with no real plan. Antony don’t even seem to be particularly highly rated or in a position that United need to address immediately.

It's not my money, I don't care.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

These don’t seem concerning to you? All of these transfers very much seem like panic buys made at eye watering prices with no real plan. Antony don’t even seem to be particularly highly rated or in a position that United need to address immediately.

United's option on the wings are Rashford and Sancho who are both better on the left (and Rashford is bad everywhere currently) plus Elanga and some other assorted kids (Garnacho, Amad, Pellestri)

Given the paucity of options up front as well it makes sense to have someone on the wings who knows what the gently caress they're doing.

But yes it would also be good to buy a striker and a right-back and a goalkeeper and another central midfielder. But 8+ major transfers in one window feels unlikely. The fact we're getting four or five is a minor miracle.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

The only one that really fits that description is Casemiro, which was definitely a panic buy and one that they will most likely regret after a year or two. Martinez and Malacia both look very good. They pretty desperately needed a wide forward who's good on the right side because they've only got Sancho, Rashford and Elanga, all of whom are better on the left. They've also got only Martial for CF as Ronaldo is awful at everything other than being good for marketing.

It's a lot of money for Antony, but they really did need a player like him and if he's good no one will care about the transfer fee in a few years.

e:f;b.

I'd also add in the context that the players that were released this summer (Pogba, Cavani, Matic, Mata and Lingard) added up to like a million pounds a week in wages and a similar weekly amount next year will go with Ronaldo, De Gea and Jones.

jettisonedstuff fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 28, 2022

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Even if he’s 30 and they paid £60M, I don’t see how they’ll regret buying one of the top defensive midfielders in the world who won 5 Champions League trophies and plays almost every match.

Even if he improves them only this year, which seems unlikely, just having that solidity in an area they’ve struggled and getting back to CL would make it worth it.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

jettisonedstuff posted:

Casemiro, which was definitely a panic buy and one that they will most likely regret after a year or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZA8mSZ51JY

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

sticksy posted:

Even if he’s 30 and they paid £60M, I don’t see how they’ll regret buying one of the top defensive midfielders in the world who won 5 Champions League trophies and plays almost every match.

Even if he improves them only this year, which seems unlikely, just having that solidity in an area they’ve struggled and getting back to CL would make it worth it.

you think signing casemiro makes them better than two of chelsea, spurs and arsenal?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

UnderFreddy posted:

you think signing casemiro makes them better than two of chelsea, spurs and arsenal?

Alone? Maybe not. On top of the others? Yes.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

It just seems like a risky transfer to me to pay big money for a 30 year old ball winning midfielder. I think he'll be a huge improvement on McTom and Fred playing in a defensive mid role but there's a big risk that he'll go the way Matic did in the latter half of his contract.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

TheRat posted:

Alone? Maybe not. On top of the others? Yes.

Man this is incredibly optimistic lol, I'm still at "cautiously optimistic arsenal won't gently caress up top 4 this season"

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I'm struggling to see what Chelsea or Arsenal have done so far this season to make me think "welp, guaranteed Europa league at best for us"

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

tbf Arsenal are top of the league right now

otoh I fully expect them to do an Arsenal at some stage around Christmas

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbf Arsenal are top of the league right now

They're still finishing below Chelsea who are very much not top of the league.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

I'm struggling to see what Chelsea or Arsenal have done so far this season to make me think "welp, guaranteed Europa league at best for us"

He's saying more than that: with all the signings so far, yes United are better than two of arsenal, spurs, chelsea, and even with just casemiro it's a "maybe", not "obviously no." I read it as expecting top 4 for united now, which imo is incredibly optimistic.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I'd say on balance there's a fairly good shot of finishing 4th behind Chelsea.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

UnderFreddy posted:

I don’t this that alone is the catalyst and nothing is guarantees but making sensible additions now with a coach who has a clear philosophy and bringing in players who suit that doesn’t hurt.

This season is one of the more interesting to me in awhile, at least at in the Battle for CL Spots/Top 4 Trophy:

• I think Chelsea are going to be not very good this year; even after getting rid of the anchor that was Pookaku, Tuchel seems to have lost the plot and it’s unclear who’s actually going to be consistently scoring goals for them.

• Arsenal clearly have a talented young squad with lots of energy and Arteta, despite his whiteboard drawings, seems to be doing pretty well with them. It remains to be seen how they’ll do vs the top sides when they have generally rolled over for them the past couple of seasons, plus competing again in the CL may take a toll on their domestic form.

• Spurs are the most intriguing to me - like the others, they have made very solid-to-great transfers recently and Conte obviously knows how to build a title-winning squad from a sum greater than its pieces. But Kane in a World Cup year makes me wonder if he won’t be playing at full speed to ensure he doesn’t get hurt so he can captain England and then if he gets ankle knack in the tournament how that will effect their finish.

e:

sourdough posted:

He's saying more than that: with all the signings so far, yes United are better than two of arsenal, spurs, chelsea, and even with just casemiro it's a "maybe", not "obviously no." I read it as expecting top 4 for united now, which imo is incredibly optimistic.

To clarify, I’m saying it was more of a maybe, not a definite. They finished 13 points off 4th place last season, I just think they’ll be significantly better with Ronaldo probably dropped and a top class DM

sticksy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 28, 2022

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

This is all very unsourcedfljopinions.txt, but I think it's going to be fairly open this year for the positions behind City, and I'd potentially throw Liverpool into that mix, as well as thinking that this could be a year where you get a dark horse making the top four and then proceeding to shid and fard all over Europe. In that context, I think United have a slightly stronger first team on paper than either Spurs or Arsenal, and while I'm not convinced they can get near winning the league, I think with the right system in place they can be well up there (and were two years ago with largely the same players pre-ETH)

if everyone performs strongly and United narrowly finish outside the top four, it would be disappointing but I don't think would undermine the manager; if he ends up seventh and way off the pack, I'd be more worried for him

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Anything can happen of course but arsenal had 11 points on united last season and have turned lacazette, nuno tavares, and rob holding, into jesus, zinchenko, and saliba.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Unless Casemiro hooks up with an ex Team GB cycling doctor he's gonna have to manage his own regimen in a country that actually somewhat tests. Watch for his performances to fall off a cliff.

https://twitter.com/MARCAinENGLISH/status/852532584684900352 🤔

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

sticksy posted:

[*]Spurs are the most intriguing to me - like the others, they have made very solid-to-great transfers recently and Conte obviously knows how to build a title-winning squad from a sum greater than its pieces. But Kane in a World Cup year makes me wonder if he won’t be playing at full speed to ensure he doesn’t get hurt so he can captain England and then if he gets ankle knack in the tournament how that will effect their finish.[/list]

Kane has 4 goals already.

This is all very unsourcedfljopinions.txt, but I think it's going to be fairly open this year for the positions behind City, and I'd potentially throw Liverpool into that mix, as well as thinking that this could be a year where you get a dark horse making the top four and then proceeding to shid and fard all over Europe.

I agree, there's some shameful dismissing of perfidious Albion in this thread.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

sourdough posted:

Anything can happen of course but arsenal had 11 points on united last season and have turned lacazette, nuno tavares, and rob holding, into jesus, zinchenko, and saliba.

That's 11 points on the worst United performance in my memory from an Arsenal side that had no European football to worry about, had two (2) comfortable leads in 4th with games in hand and still managed to fall off a cliff. This season there's Thursday/Sundays with round trips to Fuckingfaristan to contend with and the players you refer to were shipped out, not relegated to squad players, meaning Arsenal still woefully lack depth. Signing Casemiro turns the ever present McFred into squad rotation players, with promising academy players behind them in Iqbal, Savage and Garner assuming the latter stays around.

For the record I'm not confident of a 4th or better finish at all for United, but I do think we're capable of being better than what I've seen of Chelsea and Arsenal so far, which answers the earlier question of "better than 2 of...".

Squad depth is going to matter a hell of a lot this season with the hosed up schedule compression either side of the World Cup. That's also why I think City are a lock for another title as they've an embarrassment of riches in 2nd and third choice players compared to the rest of the league. Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs (in that order) are pretty thin when it comes to second choice in a number of key positions at present and gently caress knows what's going on at Chelsea but I do know they still don't have a recognised striker on the books.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Casemiro is gassed. Terrible flailing transfer. If he was still any good he’d be at Madrid.
Quote this when he wins player of the year.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Arsenal will be in the top 4.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
For how long?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Arsenal squad doesn’t nearly have enough depth to last through December imo. They’re gonna end up having to play Lokonga in midfield and it’s gonna torpedo their season.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Shrapnig posted:

It's not my money, I don't care.

The correct approach.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vegetable posted:

The Arsenal squad doesn’t nearly have enough depth to last through December imo. They’re gonna end up having to play Lokonga in midfield and it’s gonna torpedo their season.

Another midfielder would be ideal but they have enough players to move around for midfield cover. The real concern for me is only having Nketiah behind Jesus as I’m not convinced that he has it. If they both go down I have no clue what they do.

As for United, I guess we’ll have to see whether spending 200m on Casemiro, Martinez, and Antony was a good idea, but it doesn’t seem wise to me, and I have to think that this weird transfer pattern they have will catch up to United in a couple years.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

That's 11 points on the worst United performance in my memory from an Arsenal side that had no European football to worry about, had two (2) comfortable leads in 4th with games in hand and still managed to fall off a cliff. This season there's Thursday/Sundays with round trips to Fuckingfaristan to contend with and the players you refer to were shipped out, not relegated to squad players, meaning Arsenal still woefully lack depth. Signing Casemiro turns the ever present McFred into squad rotation players, with promising academy players behind them in Iqbal, Savage and Garner assuming the latter stays around.

For the record I'm not confident of a 4th or better finish at all for United, but I do think we're capable of being better than what I've seen of Chelsea and Arsenal so far, which answers the earlier question of "better than 2 of...".

Squad depth is going to matter a hell of a lot this season with the hosed up schedule compression either side of the World Cup. That's also why I think City are a lock for another title as they've an embarrassment of riches in 2nd and third choice players compared to the rest of the league. Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs (in that order) are pretty thin when it comes to second choice in a number of key positions at present and gently caress knows what's going on at Chelsea but I do know they still don't have a recognised striker on the books.

Chelsea don't need a recognized striker to finish third, you should know this by now.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think the only thing that stops me feeling bad for thinking “this will be Arsenal’s season, I can feel it” is watching Man U fans doing the same thing, but more so

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Scientastic posted:

I think the only thing that stops me feeling bad for thinking “this will be Arsenal’s season, I can feel it” is watching Man U fans doing the same thing, but more so

I don't think any Man Utd fans are thinking this will be their season.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

TheRat posted:

I don't think any Man Utd fans are thinking this will be their season.

Sorry, I thought the context of me being an Arsenal fan made it clear what “our season” means: I want to be able to watch a game without constantly fearing it will be another embarrassing failure

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I think it's worth pointing out that the last five fourth-place finishes have been:

22W, 5D, 11L - 71pts
19W,10D, 9L - 67pts
20W, 6D, 12L - 66pts
23W, 2D, 13L - 71pts
21W, 12D, 5L - 75pts

Historically to get fourth or better, you've not had to be some form of mutant superclub that goes into wing-backs' houses at night and wrecks up the place. You just need the consistency to win about half of your football games.

I've always said that was one of the numerous things that hosed Hodgson at Liverpool. My experience was that the fans were happy, conceptually, with the idea of finishing tenth and rebuilding. But they were never going to be happy with the actual results that the kind of team that finishes 10th gets. If you lose against the top four but then beat everyone else, you end up with 90 points and that would win the title more seasons than not.

tl;dr: this season is our season

FullLeatherJacket fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 29, 2022

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

I think it's worth pointing out that the last five fourth-place finishes have been:

22W, 5D, 11L - 71pts
19W,10D, 9L - 67pts
20W, 6D, 12L - 66pts
23W, 2D, 13L - 71pts
21W, 12D, 5L - 75pts

Historically to get fourth or better, you've not had to be some form of mutant superclub that goes into wing-backs' houses at night and wrecks up the place. You just need the consistency to win about half of your football games.

I've always said that was one of the numerous things that hosed Hodgson at Liverpool. My experience was that the fans were happy, conceptually, with the idea of finishing tenth and rebuilding. But they were never going to be happy with the actual results that the kind of team that finishes 10th gets. If you lose against the top four but then beat everyone else, you end up with 90 points and that would win the title more seasons than not.

tl;dr: this season is our season

How do 4-0 losses to Bournemouth factor into that?

E: very carefully

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

On the losing side of winning half your games, one would assume

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

you're allowed somewhere between five and thirteen

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Poorly for Swansea last season.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Who lost 4-0 to Bournemouth?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Who lost 4-0 to Bournemouth?

This is what happens when you don’t do things very carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

This is what happens when you don’t do things very carefully.

If you mean Brentford, we were poo poo, but they're going to bully plenty of other "better" teams this season as you might well find out in a couple of weeks, I assume you've forgotten how your last trip there went