Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Turner also had an interest in the MGM catalog because he was a proponent of early film Colorization.

Probably not a bad idea if you figure you can get a new audience into Bewitched or Gilligan's Island with some lovely computer tints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

Turner also had an interest in the MGM catalog because he was a proponent of early film Colorization.

Probably not a bad idea if you figure you can get a new audience into Bewitched or Gilligan's Island with some lovely computer tints.

I'm old enough to remember when that was the big outcry. Almost quaint, really.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dawgstar posted:

I'm old enough to remember when that was the big outcry. Almost quaint, really.
I mean, Turner said he was working on a version of Citizen Kane that was colorized. And folks were still alive that had worked in B&W productions that likely did not enjoy folks coming in and independently coloring things or claiming they had improved the works.

And I remember the early poo poo was like pastel tints, with people's mouths just not being touched at all, and the grain itself being weirdly off.

See the middle example here:

What's quaint is that we revisit the idea in the 90s with the Special Editions of Star Wars, and in modern comics where classics are redone with modern printing and computer aided techniques to make gradients where poo poo like splashes of stark magenta stood.

Original left, recolor right.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

The Netflix cartoon “Super Giant Robot Brothers” was animated in unreel engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2UhnCQ6WNQ

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

With comics there's also the whole issue with basically all pre-90s comics where nobody really uses the printing techniques that they used back in those days, so when they reprint comics they have to use some editorial choices to try to approximate how they're supposed to look.

They often didn't print solid colors, but instead big patches of dots to get more subtle colors than their cheap inks could do, but the comics also weren't printed on proper white paper, they were printed on cheap pulp that had a color of its own, and old comics often have much more subtle colors than reprints end up showing, and maybe sometimes the originals would've intended to be as flashy as possible, but a lot of the best artists loved playing around with the subtleties of color. Modern reprints can't really do the same things because newer audiences might dislike the dot system and also they want their comics printed on paper that doesn't naturally dissolve and disintegrate at the same rate.

But even reprints from when technology was the same there were often weird editorial decisions randomly changing colors.

Black and white cartoons are theoretically easier to recolor since even without fancy technology because you can just retrace and repaint the frames, but it's still entirely contingent on the decisions people make when doing it because they might have a good aesthetic sense or they might not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDYM0ipyY3A

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol the paper and ink itself are magic.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it also helps that Jackie Chan actually has a skillset that translates to kid-friendly cartoon action, and his whole stock character personality actually works for the formula. When the first episode has the henchman tell their boss he beat them up with windscreen wipers, you know you're in for a good time.

windscreen wipers that stop eletro swords, which are then almost never used again.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I mean would you bring a weapon out again knowing it got stopped by windshield wipers last time?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the swords were able to cut through chain link fences in the intro pilot episode, and one other episode. Also Valmont's cane sword did the metal bars of holding cell of Section 13.

this means that they should make cells and vaults out of wiperblades

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

the swords were able to cut through chain link fences in the intro pilot episode, and one other episode. Also Valmont's cane sword did the metal bars of holding cell of Section 13.

this means that they should make cells and vaults out of wiperblades

Pilots be like that sometimes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bee & Puppycat is up on Netflix now

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

The 7th Guest posted:

Bee & Puppycat is up on Netflix now

Just watched a couple episodes and it's really good.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Is it better than the previous Youtube based version?
Because that was a huge disappointment

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Potentially we might get some Disney TV news this Friday (including the Darkwing Duck reboot announced a while back):

https://twitter.com/DisneyAPromos/status/1567607766700654593?s=20&t=Fpz8BSvqsfRZm6XF7P1Guw

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So is the Zootopia cartoon dead?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Electric Phantasm posted:

So is the Zootopia cartoon dead?

It's premeiring in November.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pakled posted:

Do we know anything about it yet out of curiosity (story, animation style, etc)?

And speaking of cartoons based on movies, was that Monsters Inc one any good?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Witchverse has me oddly intrigqued. I don't know why the name jumps out at me.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pakled posted:

Oh I'm dumb didn't realize that's not showing anything that's Disney+ exclusive.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Covok posted:

Same. Especially is Owl House is anything to go by I'm stoked for more witchy shows

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Larryb posted:

Do we know anything about it yet out of curiosity (story, animation style, etc)?

The only promotional image of the show that seems to exist on the internet shows it's 3D

They haven't released any video yet, as far as I know.

As far as the story, the official description like it's focusing on minor characters from the movie, and since it's supposed to be 6 episodes long and they're showing 6 vignettes here, maybe that's telling us what each episode will be about.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 8, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm hoping it's better looking than that Kung Fu Panda cg series that came out with the gauntlet and the weasels. One of the first things I noticed about that was how bad the animation looked, it was all so lifeless and the background models were very ugly. The action was clearly trying but none of it really landed, same with the jokes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Covok posted:

It’s apparently based on the story of Baba Yaga, looks pretty cool from the visual we have:

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/The_Witchverse

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Epsidoe 2 of Chibiverse is out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZAWhvh5MLM

and we get Anne & Sprig back as hosts!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Epsidoe 2 of Chibiverse is out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZAWhvh5MLM

and we get Anne & Sprig back as hosts!

Did they get Brenda Song and Justin Felbinger back to voice them?

Edit: Yup, looks like they got the whole Plantar family

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 10, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm hoping it's better looking than that Kung Fu Panda cg series that came out with the gauntlet and the weasels. One of the first things I noticed about that was how bad the animation looked, it was all so lifeless and the background models were very ugly. The action was clearly trying but none of it really landed, same with the jokes.

I mean isnt this sop for cgi cartoon movies and their cgi tv small screen cartoons?

just turn down the graphix on level 4 and remove some details Allen.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That's why Legends of Awesomeness and Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure worked - they didn't try and went with their own art style that still looked good and animated well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

That's why Legends of Awesomeness and Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure worked - they didn't try and went with their own art style that still looked good and animated well.

The first Big Hero 6 cartoon used 2D animation as well

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Lost Ollie is so heart-wrenching.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 12, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I started Steven Universe for the first time and noticed the show essentially begins en media res. Do we get an origin story of some kind eventually and if so when?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

So I started Steven Universe for the first time and noticed the show essentially begins en media res. Do we get an origin story of some kind eventually and if so when?

Kiiinda? You just gotta wait for it man....

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Larryb posted:

Not in that sense, no.

You learn about the things in Steven's world pretty much exactly as quickly as Steven does.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Not in that sense, no.

You learn about the things in Steven's world pretty much exactly as quickly as Steven does.

Ah ok, I was just curious if there was an episode showing how Steven met the Gems and became involved with all this in the first place

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Gem Glow is a fine episode on it's own merits but is abysmal as a first episode, Laser Light Cannon works much better in that regard

still kind of annoyed at how pointless the LLC itself ended up being in the long run though

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Over the course of the show there are a number of episodes where Steven's dad tells Steven stories of before he was born and the development of his relationship with the gems, and there's a lot of other bits and pieces about what happened before the start that fill in over time. There's not a single big backstory episode though, Steven Universe is extremely serialised in the long run and filling out everyone's stories is a major ongoing part of the show and gradually revealed to Steven/the audience.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 13, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good to know thanks. That aside it seems decent enough so far (though I am aware that pretty much every villain in the show gets redeemed somehow no matter what they do)

I watched Hilda for the first time not too long ago as well which was also really good. We haven’t gotten any recent update on Season 3 yet have we?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 13, 2022

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Pakled posted:

The only promotional image of the show that seems to exist on the internet shows it's 3D

They haven't released any video yet, as far as I know.

As far as the story, the official description like it's focusing on minor characters from the movie, and since it's supposed to be 6 episodes long and they're showing 6 vignettes here, maybe that's telling us what each episode will be about.

We got a bunch of news yesterday!

• The series is not a sequel, but a midquel of sorts, taking place throughout the timeline of the film
• Each episode is between 8-10 minutes long, with different genres
• Nick and Judy will appear in the shorts
• “Hopp on Board” follows Judy’s little sister Molly as she escapes and sneaks onto the train Judy takes to Zootopia at the start of the film as her parents try to save her
• “Godfather of the Bride” is a Sopranos parody exploring Mr. Big’s backstory during Fru Fru’s wedding
• Duke Weaselton’s episode is a musical
• “Dinner Rush” is a rom-com with Flash and Prisillica the slothes going on a romantic date
• “So You Think You Can Prance” follows Chief Bogo and Officer Clawhauser on a game show to get tickets to Gazelle’s Concert from the end of the film

https://twitter.com/disneytvanews/status/1568787496590364673

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpRrCjvaCzI

Here's a video clip thing showing a few seconds of Clawhauser and Bogo at the gameshow

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Steven Universe kind of has some slowburning worldbuilding kind of like Adventure Time, but unlike Adventure Time, there's actually something worth investigating under those hints that the characters will actually care about themselves.

Just hopefully you can enjoy the moment to moment fun even if you're in it for the big stuff, because most of the show is pretty slow and more about Steven's life in a small town by the beach.

drrockso20 posted:

Gem Glow is a fine episode on it's own merits but is abysmal as a first episode, Laser Light Cannon works much better in that regard

still kind of annoyed at how pointless the LLC itself ended up being in the long run though

It was pretty good at shooting things [in 3010 BC], it just turns out that the show is more about hugging.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Gem Glow is a fine episode on it's own merits but is abysmal as a first episode,

Oh my God it's awful on that front. It feels like the episode you get after a 2-part pilot movie where things are actually established properly. I distinctly remember walking away from it at the end assuming that I'd missed an unaired pilot that properly explained things.

Also my guess for what might be in that pilot was WAY off. I'd assumed that Steven was a normal-rear end kid from town who'd gotten bonded with a magic gem through magical shenanigans during a monster attack or something. I figure he helped the gems fight some one-off villain and earned their trust enough to join the team which then led into Gem Glow and him learning to master his new powers. I didn't even realize that he was living with the gems at the time.

And it took a while for the show to recover from that decision as well. It took a lot of screen time for me to piece together what the characters meant to each other and even longer to put together the most basic premise of the show. Once you know all the backstory the early episodes are pretty good to revisit but at the time I found everything up until around Coach Steven (when the show started to find it's footing imo) incredibly frustrating.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 13, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, the beginning is pretty rough in general. That said, the whole series almost is basically an exercise in slowly filling in backstory, as it's new to Steven, and sometimes other characters. Was quite the experience watching at the time and putting the pieces together, a shocking amount of stuff is foreshadowed from incredibly early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I will admit that sounds like a unique way of handling things at least but I also can understand how that might put some people off