Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Alright, any device that has "perform a factory reset" as part of the setup process should have its designer fired and blackballed from the industry permanently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

Alright, any device that has "perform a factory reset" as part of the setup process should have its designer fired and blackballed from the industry permanently

It isn't part of the setup process, it's what you have to do if you gently caress up and don't follow the directions they give you.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

poo poo man, I broke my quest 2 by turning it on for the first time, connecting it to my wifi and then leaving it alone for 2 hours.

All I'm saying is that if we're kicking people out of the industry permanently, there's going to be a queue.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Dang why did I break my policy of buying any object from a company that doesn't offer phone support. Facebook support has a two business day lag time between interactions.

I finally ran into the catch with Quest hardware. Oh my hubris! A $300 VR machine with no caveats, how could I be so naive. I am hoisted

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Daaaaaaaayyyuumm
I'm thinking this person really hates Zuckerberg

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/25/business/nightcap-metaverse-mark-zuckerberg/index.html

Meta's big problem: Everything about VR looks supremely uncool
"New York (CNN Business)An image of Mark Zuckerberg's blocky, dead-eyed visage taken from his Metaverse avatar has become something of a reality check for anyone betting on the future of virtual reality."

""It's genuinely puzzling that Meta spent more than $10 billion on VR last year and the graphics in its flagship app still look worse than a 2008 Wii game," tweeted New York Times tech columnist Kevin Roose."

"BOTTOM LINE
Meta is spending billions of dollars on a vision that at best is incomplete and at worst, no one wants. And the person it's tapped with hyping that vision is, um, Mark Zuckerberg.
The relentless mockery of Zuck's ill-advised avatar posting underscores the real problem of getting consumers on board. That should be a red flag for investors, too."

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

Dang why did I break my policy of buying any object from a company that doesn't offer phone support. Facebook support has a two business day lag time between interactions.

Did you try the live chat on their website? I spent maybe 5 minutes in the queue and got to talk to people who certainly weren't pretending to have western names 24/7. As support people go, they seemed absolutely fine to me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

OgNar posted:

Daaaaaaaayyyuumm
I'm thinking this person really hates Zuckerberg

Everything said is true though. Nothing makes ~the metaverse~ as uncool as Zuck. Dude deserves all the mockery he gets from bbq sauce to dead-eyed world baby avatars.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Disgusting corporation aside, everything Meta does is interesting in various ways but then I remember that they staffed up to 14,000 employees in the VR division and it just blows my mind.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

BrainDance posted:

For steamvr there's fpsVR, which puts an fps overlay on your wrist (and a bunch of other tools and diagnostics stuff)

For Oculus headsets and oculus stuff the oculus debug tool is built in with the oculus software in
Oculus/Support/oculus-diagnostics , and can give you a performance overlay.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

XS Overlay's the better tool - You get an overlay on your hand with the time and power levels on your devices, GPU metrics, and you can pop your desktop or app windows into your playspace on-demand with a toggle (default is double-tap on a button of you choosing)

Thank you. Turns out even with a 1080 I was running a measly 67 FPS on Obduction on a Vive which wants 90. A 1080 is more powerful than even the recommended graphics card for VR. Grumble, grumble.

I guess I'll be upgrading as soon as the next generation of video cards come out. Hopefully that'll make it smooth enough for me to play longer.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 27, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

mutata posted:

Disgusting corporation aside, everything Meta does is interesting in various ways but then I remember that they staffed up to 14,000 employees in the VR division and it just blows my mind.

They turned the VR division into the future of the company and forgot that VR was still largely a punchline to the general public.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

KakerMix posted:

Everything said is true though. Nothing makes ~the metaverse~ as uncool as Zuck. Dude deserves all the mockery he gets from bbq sauce to dead-eyed world baby avatars.

Meta keeps treating the metaverse as a 2006 Xbox Live Avatar Chat Room and nobody wants that.

Nvidia and their omniverse is going to be much closer to what a practical metaverse is.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

njsykora posted:

They turned the VR division into the future of the company and forgot that VR was still largely a punchline to the general public.

They really made it the punchline themselves

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I wasn't too hard on the whole metaverse idea at first, I figured it was only vague and hard to define because we were just really on the ground floor but that it will make more sense as things develop.

A couple weeks ago I met a person in China who works for a "metaverse company." Obviously not the Facebook metaverse, but i figured she was talking more in a general sense, so I was like "ok I'm very interested let's talk I wanna get in on this Chinese metaverse stuff."

And so I did, and my takeaway from it all was that "metaverse" is the new "Blockchain." Bullshit that may have a real meaning but is 90% a hype word that we're gonna hear way too much of for the next 5 years in places where it means nothing.

Like, this speaks for itself I think

Just complete nonsense.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

LLSix posted:

Thank you. Turns out even with a 1080 I was running a measly 67 FPS on Obduction on a Vive which wants 90. A 1080 is more powerful than even the recommended graphics card for VR. Grumble, grumble.

I guess I'll be upgrading as soon as the next generation of video cards come out. Hopefully that'll make it smooth enough for me to play longer.

The recommended specs from back then were really more "we can't tell people that even the best GPU on the market can't give you a smooth 90 FPS if you really crank things up" than anything else.

I mean they couldn't very well recommend "1080 ti but don't go too crazy" when that was the most expensive consumer GPU around.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 28, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BrainDance posted:

I wasn't too hard on the whole metaverse idea at first, I figured it was only vague and hard to define because we were just really on the ground floor but that it will make more sense as things develop.

A couple weeks ago I met a person in China who works for a "metaverse company." Obviously not the Facebook metaverse, but i figured she was talking more in a general sense, so I was like "ok I'm very interested let's talk I wanna get in on this Chinese metaverse stuff."

And so I did, and my takeaway from it all was that "metaverse" is the new "Blockchain." Bullshit that may have a real meaning but is 90% a hype word that we're gonna hear way too much of for the next 5 years in places where it means nothing.

Like, this speaks for itself I think

Just complete nonsense.

They're chasing the same dragon Zuckerberg has been blowing billions of dollars trying to be the first with a foot in the door on by pushing VR so hard, all of them with dreams of being the digital one-stop platform for socialization, shopping, gaming, etc. (At least, the ones that aren't just total investor scams of course)

Except nobody wants any of that because the preferred platforms all already exist and work better than what's being bullshitted.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Corpos rushing to “invent the meta verse” from first principles reminds me of all the bullshit I used to read about “internet malls” as a teen.

Edit: though I suppose the analogy implies we’re destined for AmazonVR in a decade or so

Leathal fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 28, 2022

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Leathal posted:

Corpos rushing to “invent the meta verse” from first principles reminds me of all the bullshit I used to read about “internet malls” as a teen.

Edit: though I suppose the analogy implies we’re destined for AmazonVR in a decade or so

Reads to me that maybe Zucks metaverse might get to be like AOL was in the early internet days, at best.

AOL keywords and walled gardens. But glommed on top of ~the internet~.

Or Second Life, those parallels have already been pointed out.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Reads to me that maybe Zucks metaverse might get to be like AOL was in the early internet days, at best.

AOL keywords and walled gardens. But glommed on top of ~the internet~.

Or Second Life, those parallels have already been pointed out.

Yeah, the weirdest part is how everything they've done is locked to their own platform and devices. I don't think even Apple could pull that off. If you want to make the social platform that everyone uses, you really need to make it accessible for everyone, especially people who buy the $150 Walmart special.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rectus posted:

Yeah, the weirdest part is how everything they've done is locked to their own platform and devices. I don't think even Apple could pull that off. If you want to make the social platform that everyone uses, you really need to make it accessible for everyone, especially people who buy the $150 Walmart special.

That's why they're burning so much money though; They want to be the next Apple iTunes/Android/Amazon/etc, But For Everything, and they think by being the first to do it they'll get everyone in their virtual walled garden.

Except the entire idea is stupid, and VRChat points out exactly why; Nobody wants to be themselves on the internet, and any kind of virtual shopping for real goods is just abstracting out a regular web store. And nobody sane would want to be social inside a Meta-owned virtual hub because anything said and done will be marketed or used against you.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's why they're burning so much money though; They want to be the next Apple iTunes/Android/Amazon/etc, But For Everything, and they think by being the first to do it they'll get everyone in their virtual walled garden.

Except the entire idea is stupid, and VRChat points out exactly why; Nobody wants to be themselves on the internet, and any kind of virtual shopping for real goods is just abstracting out a regular web store. And nobody sane would want to be social inside a Meta-owned virtual hub because anything said and done will be marketed or used against you.

VRChat also did the extremely good move of not requiring a VR headset for it. They got that progression of "join my friends in this goofy game" to "strapping on full body trackers to become a talking gun" nailed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Legit, if you want to experience what the corporate-wet-dream metaverse actually looks like in practice, go for a walk through one of the VKET worlds in VRChat. I personally recommend the VKET 2022 Parareal Osaka world. The VKET 2022 New York one's also a good example, but holy gently caress is it one of the most unoptimized worlds I've ever experienced and it's very easy to crash yourself in it in a couple of places.

Because those worlds are literally what the big marketed metaverse experience is. Only it'd be with shittier avatars that are just "you, but ~virtual~!!"

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Joke's on them, I've been in virtual worlds since 1997! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74WhGTmhvoo

Sadly the longest part of making this was Frankensteining a 2D tree shader that worked in VRChat.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I loving loved activeworlds, I still have it installed.

Everything is still there, and I'll go in once every few months and enter some random coordinates until I find someone's WWF city/Princess Diana memorial.

It's, to be honest, what I wanted from VR chat and the main reason I'm disappointed. Active Worlds was all stuff built by people in game, and it stayed. Everything you made it in would matter. But VR chat feels kinda hollow for someone who hates other people like me.

Incrediblastic
Oct 29, 2010

I eat food.
Long time lurker but probably skipped this already answered question:

Any way to play FO4VR with the rift S? My thumbsticks don't register in the real world and OpenVR input emulator crashes for some reason after trying to set it up,probably some version incongruence.

EDIT:A paper on the metaverse gave a more realistic,non-corporate definition,which is that the metaverse is the spectrum between real and virtual,hence 'meta'.AR in the middle,data or video from real world in VR for real-to-virtual,3D printed models for virtual-> to real etc.The last one wasn't given as an example but I think it fits.

Incrediblastic fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 28, 2022

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The issue with VRChat is that, unless said person is a content creator, you can't just go to somebody's unique space and have them show you around to gawk at the stuff they made. It's always "check out this cool place", never "check out my cool place". That's why I loved Active Worlds and yes, even Second Life. It was spontaneous, poo poo would pop up in a few days and be out there in the world for everybody to see. Sometimes you could stumble across people building their dream homes or storefronts or night clubs in real time. You could look at half-finished builds that the owner just abandoned, personal mementos from a decade ago frozen in time.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

There's actually a propdump up on archive.org, I'm 90% sure a tool could be made to automatically bring stuff from AlphaWorld into Unity. Would just need to correct either the X or Z axis. Depending on how you orient the map, either the X or Z is positive/negative reversed.

Would also need to automate converting the RWX files, but there's already a tool for importing to Blender, would just need to automate grabbing the correct textures.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've always envisioned the Metaverse as a good VR version of Second Life.

Your land should exist in "real" space that people can walk to but you make it look however you want. Whole cities out there that are a supremely bizarre mishmash of ideas and styles.
A system where it's extremely easy to build and design a basic plot but also having the tool to sculpt whatever you want.
Really lean in to plazas that host events and games, let people run clubs, host classes or whatever.

The bandwidth this would require would be impossible for American internet, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inzombiac posted:

I've always envisioned the Metaverse as a good VR version of Second Life.

Your land should exist in "real" space that people can walk to but you make it look however you want. Whole cities out there that are a supremely bizarre mishmash of ideas and styles.
A system where it's extremely easy to build and design a basic plot but also having the tool to sculpt whatever you want.
Really lean in to plazas that host events and games, let people run clubs, host classes or whatever.

The bandwidth this would require would be impossible for American internet, though.

The problem is you're limiting yourself to base reality, and it's why recreational AR sucks compared to VR. Why wander around the real world when you can sit in a space of Infinite Shader Beauty like Treehouse in the Shade in VRChat?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is you're limiting yourself to base reality, and it's why recreational AR sucks compared to VR. Why wander around the real world when you can sit in a space of Infinite Shader Beauty like Treehouse in the Shade in VRChat?

No, I mean start the virtual world as a completely blank grid where users claim plots and build whatever they want. I'm not talking about having it tied to real world geography at all.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Inzombiac posted:

No, I mean start the virtual world as a completely blank grid where users claim plots and build whatever they want. I'm not talking about having it tied to real world geography at all.

But like, why even be constrained by finite and/or Euclidean space.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except the entire idea is stupid, and VRChat points out exactly why; Nobody wants to be themselves on the internet

Facebook itself seems like a counter example to that. It's entire point is to "be yourself" real-identity-wise, and it's been ridiculously successful by any metric. Clearly they're trying to continue that.

(So was AOL for a long time, and while they popped and sank, they were largely responsible for getting an entire generation onto the internet.)

I also think what's happened more and more as time goes on (and is a focus of things like social networks) is the erosion of the idea of "the internet" as a separate thing. It's less and less important (or meaningful) to add "... but on the internet" when talking about shopping, reading news, and talking to friends and relatives.

Anyway, I think I get what you're saying but there are in fact loads of people perfectly happy being "themselves" on the internet; enough to found a juggernaut of a business built about exactly that in not even one adult's career lifetime.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think it's simpler than that; nobody wants the Facebook metaverse because it's just not very good. It's not straightforward to use, it's not that fun or engaging, and people who try it don't feel any desire to go back or try to bring their friends with them. I don't think the high level stuff of "do people want to be represented as themselves" even comes into play because it's not even interesting enough for that to be a factor

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Also VRChat has like less than 50k concurrent users across all platforms in any given day. FB execs are used to numbers like 1.9 billion. No one is looking to vrchat for any direction at the moment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Manager Hoyden posted:

Also VRChat has like less than 50k concurrent users across all platforms in any given day. FB execs are used to numbers like 1.9 billion. No one is looking to vrchat for any direction at the moment.

The overlap is "users in VR", so VRChat is apt comparison. They want those 1.9 billion users on Meta Horizon, ideally in VR, and that's probably not gonna happen because least of all it sucks rear end.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Facebook itself seems like a counter example to that. It's entire point is to "be yourself" real-identity-wise, and it's been ridiculously successful by any metric. Clearly they're trying to continue that.

(So was AOL for a long time, and while they popped and sank, they were largely responsible for getting an entire generation onto the internet.)

I also think what's happened more and more as time goes on (and is a focus of things like social networks) is the erosion of the idea of "the internet" as a separate thing. It's less and less important (or meaningful) to add "... but on the internet" when talking about shopping, reading news, and talking to friends and relatives.

Anyway, I think I get what you're saying but there are in fact loads of people perfectly happy being "themselves" on the internet; enough to found a juggernaut of a business built about exactly that in not even one adult's career lifetime.

That's not glamourous though, people want to hang out with a shape called "Scrungle" and party in a VR rave in an active volcano with Gumby as the DJ and a big titty goth giantess as your dance partner (swiped this from a twitter post somewhere I think). Look at Discord and that's a text version of that, the people you are interacting with aren't "Jim" or "Jen" or whatever, they are internet names with internet avatars like the internet started out as. That made VR is what people want. All the generations are on the internet already, on Tiktok and discord. They don't need to be lead to it like grandma in 1999 with an AOL analog.

Lemming posted:

I think it's simpler than that; nobody wants the Facebook metaverse because it's just not very good. It's not straightforward to use, it's not that fun or engaging, and people who try it don't feel any desire to go back or try to bring their friends with them. I don't think the high level stuff of "do people want to be represented as themselves" even comes into play because it's not even interesting enough for that to be a factor

Exactly this too. Why would I go in the metaverse to shop or whatever when I can just fire up amazon on the toilet and order shoes? Even if your avatar represents you in real life it still isn't you, there is no practical benefit to that. You can't shop for clothes and it mean anything since your VR self isn't your IRL self no matter how uncanny valley you get. I really just don't understand how that's so hard for Zuck and whoever his true believers are to get that. When people are able to choose they don't choose to be their real life selves. I'm not "KakerMix" irl and "Lemming" isn't named that irl either.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bad Munki posted:

But like, why even be constrained by finite and/or Euclidean space.

I was someone who spent a lot of time in Second Life, ages ago, and I've seen some loving wild builds, and it was by no means constrained by finite or Euclidean space. You could really stretch the limits of what you could do to the "land" you're given, build in the sky, build underwater, dig out valleys in the land and add primitives and make twisting, surreal cave structures and add totally abstract shapes and designs and bizarre, alien objects.

Most people didn't do that, obviously, because a lot of people just lack imagination and want a generic fuckpad for pervert orgies.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

KakerMix posted:

That's not glamourous though, people want to hang out with a shape called "Scrungle" and party in a VR rave in an active volcano with Gumby as the DJ and a big titty goth giantess as your dance partner (swiped this from a twitter post somewhere I think). Look at Discord and that's a text version of that, the people you are interacting with aren't "Jim" or "Jen" or whatever, they are internet names with internet avatars like the internet started out as. That made VR is what people want. All the generations are on the internet already, on Tiktok and discord. They don't need to be lead to it like grandma in 1999 with an AOL analog.

Exactly this too. Why would I go in the metaverse to shop or whatever when I can just fire up amazon on the toilet and order shoes? Even if your avatar represents you in real life it still isn't you, there is no practical benefit to that. You can't shop for clothes and it mean anything since your VR self isn't your IRL self no matter how uncanny valley you get. I really just don't understand how that's so hard for Zuck and whoever his true believers are to get that. When people are able to choose they don't choose to be their real life selves. I'm not "KakerMix" irl and "Lemming" isn't named that irl either.

I guess that largely depends on if the goal is a rave party with strangers or a family gathering. I feel Facebook is closer to the latter and Metaverse is probably intended as an extension of that. Do people have large amount of FB contacts they've met in FB? Personally I would never accept a friend request from someone who wasn't part of "friends and family" already.

For VR shopping I largely agree, but I feel clothes could be the exception. I've recently done some shopping for shirts online and in-store and both sucked.

Online you get a page with a large number of small pictures. You need to open a handful of them in tabs to get a closer look, then jump between them for comparison. Just a hassle overall. But even if there are high-res pics of the products my 13" laptop screen is way too small to get a good look of them, and my large monitor isn't that much better.

In-store I have to walk from rack to jam-packed rack, forcing them apart to get a better look and see that they have chest pocket, don't want that. And the store probably only has a limited selection and I need to figure out if some other location has the product I want.

It might be an improvement if I could stand in VR surrounded by clothes. I could look around, flick my wrist to scroll the products past me, if I see an interesting product beckon it closer to get a life size view, turn it around, etc.

There are probably some other categories where VR could be useful. I've also been looking at RVs online. There are usually lot of pictures, but those separate pictures don't really help to get a sense what they are like inside. Some 360° pictures in VR would really be helpful. Same could ably to house shopping, but to a lesser extent.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I went back to VTOL VR today to finish the tutorials and goddamn the autopilot is a game changer, I should've known something like that was in there but it's great being able to hover miles away and target tanks with the FLIR camera to launch rockets at. Tryin'a get my friend who bought the same bundle to give this an earnest try so we could do some of the co-op missions because that sounds awesome.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Saukkis posted:

For VR shopping I largely agree, but I feel clothes could be the exception. I've recently done some shopping for shirts online and in-store and both sucked.

I don't see VR shopping being any better for clothes than using one of those amazon see how it looks things. Unless you have a perfect, to scale 100% detailed avatar of yourself, and the clothing in said app is 100% to scale and isn't being "shaped" by VR to put it on you, its not any different than looking at a photo that "ai" slapped a shirt on you or whatever.

Yeah its more fun maybe, because you can dance around in a thing, but you still have no idea how its actually going to fit which is the one thing that sucks about shopping for clothes online. It gets a leg up on fun, but still has the biggest downside. You have no idea how things will actually fit until its on you so in store still wins.

And personally if I had to choose, setup my VR stuff to buy a few outfits, or do it while I'm taking a poo poo before a shower, im going with the second option. Even if its just booting up my quest that still more work for the same end result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

I was someone who spent a lot of time in Second Life, ages ago, and I've seen some loving wild builds, and it was by no means constrained by finite or Euclidean space. You could really stretch the limits of what you could do to the "land" you're given, build in the sky, build underwater, dig out valleys in the land and add primitives and make twisting, surreal cave structures and add totally abstract shapes and designs and bizarre, alien objects.

How do you do Treehouse in the Shade's impossible scenery or VKet Osaka's fake train trip with that, though?

The Eyes Have It posted:

Sure, but now look at the Venn diagram overlap of "people happy to be themselves on the internet, with no option to ever be guitar-playing Kermit or their favorite anime character" and "people willing to spend upwards of a thousand bucks and endure the mild pain and constant awkwardness that comes with wearing a VR headset for long periods of time".

Saukkis posted:

It might be an improvement if I could stand in VR surrounded by clothes. I could look around, flick my wrist to scroll the products past me, if I see an interesting product beckon it closer to get a life size view, turn it around, etc.

There are probably some other categories where VR could be useful. I've also been looking at RVs online. There are usually lot of pictures, but those separate pictures don't really help to get a sense what they are like inside. Some 360° pictures in VR would really be helpful. Same could ably to house shopping, but to a lesser extent.
What I'd really like to see would be accurately reproduced new cars in VR. Have avatars roughly proportional to real height and weight (some simple sliders would do) so you can tell if you'll like the sitting position and visibility, put in an imitation version of the infotainment and secondary features for each trim level, and have some prop suitcases and other junk to help get an idea of how much you can fit in the thing.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 28, 2022