Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I wasn't really interested in the new star ocean but then I saw this midas guy with a real jojo/fist of the north star vibe and my curiosity is piqued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So there's a new Star Ocean in the works, a Suikoden successor (Eiyuden Chronicle), a Wild Arms successor (Armed Fantasia), a Shadow Hearts successor (Penny Blood), and a Rune Factory style game (Harvestella). Plus, the recent release of the Soul Hackers sequel.

What other JRPGs titles/franchises should get a renewal? Jade Cocoon? The Legend of Dragoon? Legend of Legaia? I imagine a lot of people would like a new Grandia or Breath of Fire.

FirstAidKite posted:

I was just trying to make a joke about the butter dragon person

I know I'm going to regret asking, but what is this in reference to?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT SOUL HACKERS 2

Turning off "loading screen tips" in the config menu will at minimum halve the loading time transitioning between areas on the world map. It seems having that "on" forces the load to have a minimum length of time and turning it off lets you go to the area as soon as its actually ready. My single biggest complaint with the game is fixed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's also a new valkyrie profile

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Undertale's kickstarter had a $10k backer reward where the donor's OC would be added to the game as a secret enemy encounter. one of the two donors was/is a notorious fat fetish artist and the character in question was just his fursona

the encounter itself was inoffensive, but the internet was understandably glaring hard over its collective spectacles when all this came to light

Barudak
May 7, 2007

To the person at atlus who made it so the default setting in Soul Hackers 2 is "loading screen on" and that it doesn't tell you it makes you waste time when it was finished loading, I hope you and the person who decided not to have a fast travel to the side content dungeon and instead force an extra loading screen every time to get to it retire from the company and enjoy your time with your family.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Max Wilco posted:

So there's a new Star Ocean in the works, a Suikoden successor (Eiyuden Chronicle), a Wild Arms successor (Armed Fantasia), a Shadow Hearts successor (Penny Blood), and a Rune Factory style game (Harvestella). Plus, the recent release of the Soul Hackers sequel.

What other JRPGs titles/franchises should get a renewal? Jade Cocoon? The Legend of Dragoon? Legend of Legaia? I imagine a lot of people would like a new Grandia or Breath of Fire.

Not us pretending Rune Factory 5 doesn't exist.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Rune factory 5 owns and also harvestella looks like it's going to own

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I would like another Jade Cocoon please

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Might be slightly controversial but I'll take another Golden Sun.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I knew I was forgetting something.

There's also that Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together re-release, though I remember people were unhappy, because they added a bunch of sprite filtering or something.

There's also the Live-A-Live remake.

Oxxidation posted:

Undertale's kickstarter had a $10k backer reward where the donor's OC would be added to the game as a secret enemy encounter. one of the two donors was/is a notorious fat fetish artist and the character in question was just his fursona

the encounter itself was inoffensive, but the internet was understandably glaring hard over its collective spectacles when all this came to light

Oh, that. I remember hearing about that.

I had to look the character up, because I did not remember running into them when I played Undertale, and apparently the criteria to even find them is really specific:

quote:

The protagonist must read the sign in the Art Club room when the computer's clock is set for October 10th at 8 PM (i.e. between 8:00 and 8:59) to encounter him, or all day on the Nintendo Switch version.[1] The Muffet encounter must also be finished before the encounter in versions 1.00 and 1.001.

TurnipFritter posted:

Not us pretending Rune Factory 5 doesn't exist.

I don't follow Rune Factory, so I didn't know there was a new one out this year.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

I don't follow Rune Factory, so I didn't know there was a new one out this year.

To be fair Rune Factory 5 came out last year, but exclusively for Switch, and that version performed really badly. The PC version just very recently came out though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm really excited for this game. It looks really good the more of it that gets shown.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
More Quintet action rpgs like Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma

Skies of Arcadia

Early Paper Mario

Early Shining Force

Rolan's Curse

King's Field & Shadow Tower (there are a couple indie games in development aping their style but I can't remember their names)

7th Saga

Laplace no Ma

X-Men Legends/Marvel Ultimate Alliance/Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance

Shadow Madness

Catz 2/Dogz 2/The Dog Island

Magic Pengel/Graffiti Kingdom

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i hope harvestella is good :pien emoji:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

The Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection is coming next year and I wouldn't mind more of that series.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

DrManiac posted:

Lisa the painful also had a great implementation of backer character. They fit really well because everybody in the setting is supposed to be a gross awkward weirdo.

Holy poo poo, I didn't even know the game had backer characters. I definitely used two or three of them for a big chunk of the game.

And yeah they were integrated well because all the party members were so loving weird and expendable anyway.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Lufia 5 when

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

Skies of Arcadia

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

Junpei posted:

Yes, please. Absolutely love those games.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah, but, is there?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

This RPG isn't J, but they are making a sequel to The Ur-Quan Masters.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

CubeTheory posted:

Yeah, but, is there?
I guess we'll see in November: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1963210/VALKYRIE_ELYSIUM/
I may give it a shot. Never felt tempted to try the original Valkyrie series games, but a big fancy re-envisioning that sheds some but not all of the jank could be quite neat. Plus, I know some norse mythology nerds that might enjoy anecdotes about the experience.

Junpei posted:

Burginator posted:

Yes, please. Absolutely love those games.
I am not super attached to Golden Sun's setting/characters, but I really loved the dungeon exploration aspects and the way you had such a big toolbox of powers for interacting with the environment. Combat was serviceable, those big flashy weapon unleashes were cool and the system of allocating magical resources to class-ups or summon supermoves was interesting without being overwhelming.

A spiritual successor that builds on that foundation while trying some new stuff might be really cool. I still think about the pipe puzzles and the big tree in the first game fondly. I would absolutely donate to that kickstarter if it didn't look sketchy.

Snooze Cruise posted:

i hope harvestella is good :pien emoji:
I was lukewarm on it initially, but I am growing increasingly hyped to learn about the special DLC 5th season of death they added to the year. Could see some pretty neat gameplay systems emerging from it, even if it feels a little silly that they decided they could not possibly make regular winter edgy enough. If the blood moon comes on a predetermined schedule and you have a whole year to prep for it, that means that they can throw some really nasty stuff at the player when it is time to turtle up. Conceptually, the idea of mixing a little Rise to Ruins or Frostpunk into my Rune Factory seems intriguing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

This RPG isn't J, but they are making a sequel to The Ur-Quan Masters.

the fanmade project was an okay 30 minutes

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

What's the best version of Valkyrie Profile to play? From what I gleaned, the PSP version has some changes to the game from the PS1 version (Wikipedia says it lacks gameplay improvements made to the English version), and the upcoming version for PS4/PS5 is based on the port to mobile devices, which doesn't sound too great.

FirstAidKite posted:

King's Field & Shadow Tower (there are a couple indie games in development aping their style but I can't remember their names)

Are you thinking of Devil Spire? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1861290/Devil_Spire/

Dick Wolf
Apr 5, 2009

Barudak posted:

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT SOUL HACKERS 2

Turning off "loading screen tips" in the config menu will at minimum halve the loading time transitioning between areas on the world map. It seems having that "on" forces the load to have a minimum length of time and turning it off lets you go to the area as soon as its actually ready. My single biggest complaint with the game is fixed.

Thank God, I was wondering why it was so slow on my PC. Thanks for the tip.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

If you are interested in a spiritual successor to Kings Field / Shadow Tower, I recommend Lunacid.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1745510/Lunacid/

Only played it for a few hours, but it nailed the atmosphere. I think I heard about it on the Waypoint Radio podcast. They also did a full review for this:
https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3pgqv/dread-delusion-embraces-a-different-kind-of-nightmare

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
All the kids on social media and reddit never can shut the gently caress up about how Legend of Dragoon is the best old school rpg ever and that they would sell 3 kidneys for it to get a remaster.

I don't understand when this conspiracy came to rise. From my memory, everyone in that period of gaming thought it was a very mediocre 7/10er. Is there a subsect of jrpg gamers that missed both the 'the best jrpg is FF6/CT' and 'the best jrpg is FF7' generation divide and for some reason default to Legend of Dragoon when there are probably no less than a dozen better choices from 32-bit consoles alone?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

All the kids on social media and reddit never can shut the gently caress up about how Legend of Dragoon is the best old school rpg ever and that they would sell 3 kidneys for it to get a remaster.

I don't understand when this conspiracy came to rise. From my memory, everyone in that period of having thought it was a very mediocre 7/10er. Is there a subsect of jrpg gamers that missed both the 'the best jrpg is FF6/CT' and 'the best jrpg is FF7' generation divide and for some reason default to Legend of Dragoon when there are probably no less than a dozen better choices from 32-bit consoles alone?

I doubt it's kids saying this, most likely just millennial nostalgia

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I doubt it's kids saying this, most likely just millennial nostalgia

I am very begrudgingly shaking my fists with misplaced anger at and calling these people kids. drat mid-20-somethings!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

30 year olds, really.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Yeah I've been kind of surprised by the praise LoD gets these days. Back on release the biggest praise it got was for those FMV's.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Junpei posted:

I would like another Golden Sun soundtrack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LoD is one of thoe games that has a ton of cool ideas but actually kinda blows so I can see why someone would want a remake.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

its true. legend of dragoon is all over tiktok. theyre doing fortnite dances and talking about melbu frahma.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Nostalga is a hell of a drug.

Look at half the dead-rear end series folks in this thread just asked for a revival in the last page or so. Skies of Arcadia or Golden Sun is just someone else's Legend of Dragoon.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

when does xenoblade 3 stop introducing new mechanics

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zereth posted:

when does xenoblade 3 stop introducing new mechanics

You will keep getting new mechanics until fairly late in the game!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

there's a new valkyrie game, but they aren't calling it profile and it doesn't much look like one either

it does look neat though, don't get me wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Please let me believe valkyrie profile isn't dead for a little longer