Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PITY BONER posted:

The schools near me were getting Fridays off because there were 1. too many students out sick, 2. too many teachers out sick, or 3. too many students and teachers out sick. They thought if they could at least get kids to come for four days that more would be willing to show up or something. No virtual lesson option, as far as I know. I have a feeling they'll be back to four-day weeks this year, too.

Also many schools are still facing shortages of bus drivers and some don't have enough to cover all the routes so the drivers have to double up, which means lots of kids get to school an hour late and then at the end of the day they get home an hour late
https://www.wlox.com/video/2022/08/25/fort-mill-sc-school-bus-routes-double-up-due-driver-shortage-2/
E: LOL that video talks a whole lot about the shortage of drivers but never once mentions covid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Tagra posted:

So my husband says there is not a chance in hell that any schools in the US or Canada will close due to COVID mandates this fall, and I said if he is wrong I will purchase a strap-on and peg him and he was like "it's not going to happen so whatever"

I'm pretty sure it already happened but all I can find are 'teacher shortages' (due to everyone being loving sick from COVID) so I might not have won yet.

Regardless, what size/colour should I start shopping for?

Also any sources of schools closing due to actual COVID mandates would be very helpful right now thanks in advance

Nobody is going to close, but you should shop anyway. Six inches and rainbow sparkle cupcake is a good place to start. There are varieties that don't require a harness. It's the end of the world so have fun with it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Medical professionals see so many colds in August.

It's because of the lockdowns. Immune systems everywhere just fell apart because of the harsh isolation we've all been doing for the last several years.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Oracle posted:

Welp, spoke too soon. Oldest popped positive this morning. I actually had to argue for the NP to give her the drat test after the strep rapid came back negative. First she said it was probably a cold, then she warned me that she’d be out five days from start of symptoms if she tested positive, then she told me it could be 24-48 hours til we got results back.
Her symptoms started Tuesday with a sore throat, she ran 99.5 fever, and had a slight cough and a little post nasal drip. Sore throat got worse so two rapid binax tests later both negative, we figured it was strep.
She masks at school but it had to have happened there. Given when her symptoms started probably Friday or Monday. Which was 2nd and 3rd day of school.
Welcome to the plague pits. (We got the test results about five-six hours later). Took the youngest in this afternoon to get him swabbed as well since you can’t trust the otc tests for poo poo. I was still negative on PCR; tested right after she did.

The NP warned you if your kid tested positive, they'd be out 5 days and therefore are you sure you want her tested? Like, the NP implied maybe don't test?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

A Strange Aeon posted:

The NP warned you if your kid tested positive, they'd be out 5 days and therefore are you sure you want her tested? Like, the NP implied maybe don't test?

Nurgle Practitioner.

1-600-DOCTORB
Nov 29, 2004

Side effects may include gopherism, multi-brow, and tracheal meerkat colonies
Pillbug
I have a covid story that is a little weird. I caught it in the spring of last year, just a few weeks before I was eligible for the vaccine. I had breakfast with my mom while I was in town, then the next day she called and told me she tested positive. I tested positive a couple of days later. (She got through it fine). The cough and cold symptoms were pretty mild, but I completely lost my senses of smell and taste, and that sucked. When they started to come back, they were all screwed up. Everything tasted like metallic garlic for weeks, and I could constantly smell phantom cigarette smoke or something similar, which also lasted for weeks.

Even today, 18 months later, my senses of taste and smell are diminished, and screwed up in very peculiar ways. For instance, diesel exhaust smells exactly like cooked onions to me. Also, I'm fairly certain I can no longer smell skunk. I've passed at least a dozen roadkill skunks while driving, and haven't been able to smell a single one.

:psyduck:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

jetz0r posted:

They will very explicitly close due to teacher shortages that are absolutely not connected in any way to covid, everyone will simply be out sick because they no longer want to work.

i mean teacher shortages were very bad before covid. yeah it exacerbated it but covid is not even in the top ten reasons theres a teacher shortage.

but yeah schools may close for a few days because of covid sickness. my school closed at the beginning of this year bc over a dozen staff were sick with covid, so any moron saying “lol thatll never happen again yuk yuk” seems to not understand the reality of the situation of a dozen teachers out sick and not enough subs to cover for them.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

1-600-DOCTORB posted:

I have a covid story that is a little weird. I caught it in the spring of last year, just a few weeks before I was eligible for the vaccine. I had breakfast with my mom while I was in town, then the next day she called and told me she tested positive. I tested positive a couple of days later. (She got through it fine). The cough and cold symptoms were pretty mild, but I completely lost my senses of smell and taste, and that sucked. When they started to come back, they were all screwed up. Everything tasted like metallic garlic for weeks, and I could constantly smell phantom cigarette smoke or something similar, which also lasted for weeks.

Even today, 18 months later, my senses of taste and smell are diminished, and screwed up in very peculiar ways. For instance, diesel exhaust smells exactly like cooked onions to me. Also, I'm fairly certain I can no longer smell skunk. I've passed at least a dozen roadkill skunks while driving, and haven't been able to smell a single one.

It IS weird :(

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I was just reading a P.G. Wodehouse (The Adventures of Sally), which was first published in 1921, and was extremely struck by one passage. For context, the speaker is a completely self-absorbed, self-pitying character who on the verge of having his first play open:

quote:

Gerald sat down. His appearance fulfilled the promise of his voice over the telephone. A sort of nervous dullness wrapped him about like a garment.

“It's just my luck,” he said gloomily. “It's the kind of thing that couldn't happen to anyone but me. Damned fools! Where's the sense in shutting the theatres, even if there is influenza about? They let people jam against one another all day in the stores. If that doesn't hurt them why should it hurt them to go to theatres? Besides, it's all infernal nonsense about this thing. I don't believe there is such a thing as Spanish influenza. People get colds in their heads and think they're dying. It's all a fake scare.”

100 years ago, and the attitude and arguments are identical to the ones we all saw the whole way through the course of the Covid pandemic.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

1-600-DOCTORB posted:

https://www.bmj.com/content/378/bmj-2021-069503 posted:

Parametric cure models project that 5.6% and 4.4% of patients might develop long lasting self-reported smell and taste dysfunction post-covid-19, respectively—about 15 million and 12 million patients worldwide as of July 2022

Meta-analyses of reconstructed time-to-event individual patient data (IPD) showed that at 30, 60, 90, and 180 days, respectively, about 74%, 86%, 90%, and 96% of patients self-reported smell recovery and 79%, 88%, 90%, and 98% of patients self-reported taste recovery, among patients who remained alive at the given time

Women were less likely to recover their sense of smell and taste, and patients with greater initial severity of dysfunction and those with nasal congestion were less likely to recover their sense of smell

This chance of olfactory nervel damage every covid infection seems bad to me, but if it means people go out to restaurants then it must be good??

Spinz posted:

It IS weird :(

Yes, I agree - everything about it is incredibly weird.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 27, 2022

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yep.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

You would not believe how many parents are deliberately avoiding testing their kids because they don't want them to miss another 5 days of school.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

from late february to the end of the school year in june i had one kid isolated for covid. thats it. i am almost positive kids that stayed home sick were deliberately not tested or the test wasnt revealed to the school.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

gohuskies posted:

One of my friends was told by their pharmacy that the pharmacy has placed an order for "Bivalent COVID-19 (omicron BA.5 + original strain) Booster Shots" and they expect them to arrive in stock shortly after Labor Day, but they won't be able to start actually dosing them until FDA says to go for it. But at least the fact that stuff is being actively ordered sounds like good news to me.

Assuming your friend is in your (and my) area, this is positive. My spouse thinks it's going to be a cluster getting the modified booster here because of demand.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

A Strange Aeon posted:

McCracAttack posted:

You would not believe how many parents are deliberately avoiding testing their kids because they don't want them to miss another 5 days of school.

Yeah, to a lot of people it's fine to spread the deadly virus so little Timmy doesn't fall behind and miss out on that scholarship, a thing little Timmy could never get in a million years because he has an undiagnosed learning disorder that his parents are ignoring. Meanwhile I'm excited to spend the next seven years of school hoping my kid still has a dad at the end of it.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Blitter posted:

This chance of olfactory related brain damage every covid infection seems bad to me, but if it means people go out to restaurants then it must be good?

It's not brain damage, it's damage to the sensory receptors. It's hosed up, but I think that's an important distinction to make.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Beartaco posted:

It's not brain damage, it's damage to the sensory receptors. It's hosed up, but I think that's an important distinction to make.

Most of the time it's damage to the sensory receptors but covid can gently caress up your headmeat via multiple mechanisms, some of which are legit brain damage: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01693-6

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Beartaco posted:

It's really more a matter of degree imo since your olfactory bulb is part of the brain. Whether it's the virus itself or the body's response to it, part of your brain is getting damaged. Covid can also eat the capillaries out of your head and I think that qualifies too.

If you don't like the term brain damage, ask yourself why you don't think a description of brain damage should be classified as brain damage.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pookah posted:

100 years ago, and the attitude and arguments are identical to the ones we all saw the whole way through the course of the Covid pandemic.
:rubby:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Most of the time it's damage to the sensory receptors but covid can gently caress up your headmeat via multiple mechanisms, some of which are legit brain damage: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01693-6

I have a friend that is a goon that did develop severe nerve and brain damage from covid. I hope they are doing okay but they have pulled back pretty hard from Discord and the forums at large.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

i have had covid eleven thousand times

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The really bizarre thing is that Spanish flu only comes up as a plot point a couple of times throughout the book written and set in 1920/21 and yet Wodehouse nails 90% of the denialist attitude in about 6 sentences.
-Why are 2 profoundly different things treated differently?
-Everyone is imagining that they are sick.
-Fake News.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 27, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent posted:

We're now about two-thirds of the way through the Greek alphabet. For what names to use after it runs out, I'm dusting off a suggestion for hurricanes: use Pokemon names. Just go in order, starting with the Bulbasaur variant.

It’s nine months later and we haven’t used a single extra letter.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Pookah posted:

The really bizarre thing is that Spanish flu only comes up as a plot point a couple of times throughout the book written and set in 1920/21 and yet Wodehouse nails 90% of the denialist attitude in about 6 sentences.
-Why are 2 profoundly different things treated differently?
-Everyone is imagining that they are sick.
-Fake News.

The only thing this really shows is that America literally learned nothing from the Spanish Flu and that modern day Americans deal with a deadly virus the exact same way they did a century ago.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

The only thing this really shows is that America literally learned nothing from the Spanish Flu and that modern day Americans deal with a deadly virus the exact same way they did a century ago.

And they in turn dealt with it the same way they dealt with the plague and on and on.

Humans as a rule are not good with long term low level hard to visualize threats.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

got the flu from my kid and it's brutal. Nearly as bad as the roni

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
"Maybe we're just not surrendering hard enough to the virus?"

Free tests through USPS being cancelled after 9/2. Order asap. I'm waiting on them to cancel the emergency act so my insurance no longer has to pay for them either.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Free tests through USPS being cancelled after 9/2. Order asap. I'm waiting on them to cancel the emergency act so my insurance no longer has to pay for them either.

I didn't even realize they had authorized another 8 free tests to be shipped to everybody this May. :waycool:

Thanks for highlighting this!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

They all expired back in December anyway if the ones I received are any indication.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
i think usps already sent me 2 sets of tests months ago, but i filled out the form again and it looks like it worked.

guess i'll get some free expired tests :toot:

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Looks like I was able to dodge an infection flying to Texas (along with some risky behaviour that I was somewhat forced into).

I think we're probably going to lose the fight on our kids masking in the fall though, so it's maybe a little on the pointless side.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Interesting study comparing 3rd and 4th doses
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.08.17.22278807v1.full-text
The 4th as exoected restores protection and is probably a little better than the third.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lol just about everybody that went to the big work conference last week predictably came back with Covid and we're days out from a massive deadline with people calling out because they are sick with Covid. Had a (virtual) meeting earlier with my boss who went and is definitely sick with covid but pretending it's just a cough/allergies where he admonished the people taking off today for not "stepping up and working through it" because we're so close to a deadline and could really use the help. poo poo like this is exactly why I am still taking precautions and avoiding putting myself in situations where I'll almost certainly get Covid. They probably won't fire you for getting covid at the work function you volunteered to help at and subsequently callilng out sick but they will definitely be talking poo poo about you behind your back for doing so.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

400/3k kids at my daughters' school out with influenza-a

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
So, the old guy in my relative's department that is Mr. "I can't let a pandemic stop me from living my life" has a history of getting covid. It went like this:

1st infection - Florida vacation.
2nd infection - Mexico resort vacation.
3rd infection - Florida vacation.

And, as of today, because we were actually taking $5 bets on what would happen after another of his trips:

4th infection - Mexico resort vacation.

Every infection he's had has put him in bed for 10-14 days with a high fever and no energy to get up or work online, leaving the rest of the (small) department to cover for him. He's in his 60s and his covid brain rot has gotten stronger every time, leading several people to assume he won't last at his job until next year because of all the mistakes and forgotten work he has been piling up.

None of this is surprising, and it is highly predictable, so now we're taking :10bux: bets on if he'll get covid again before December.

boar guy posted:

400/3k kids at my daughters' school out with influenza-a
"But wait...There's more! Tell 'em what else we're going to throw on on this once in a lifetime deal. That's right, folks, it's not over yet!"

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

Lol just about everybody that went to the big work conference last week predictably came back with Covid and we're days out from a massive deadline with people calling out because they are sick with Covid. Had a (virtual) meeting earlier with my boss who went and is definitely sick with covid but pretending it's just a cough/allergies where he admonished the people taking off today for not "stepping up and working through it" because we're so close to a deadline and could really use the help. poo poo like this is exactly why I am still taking precautions and avoiding putting myself in situations where I'll almost certainly get Covid. They probably won't fire you for getting covid at the work function you volunteered to help at and subsequently callilng out sick but they will definitely be talking poo poo about you behind your back for doing so.

This is why you build up a nest egg and reduce your spending so you can give the finger to any employee that tries to make the current paradigm of not enough employees a you problem and go find a job somewhere else.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Oracle posted:

They all expired back in December anyway if the ones I received are any indication.
The printed expiration dates are based on what actual stability tests had proved as of when those boxes were manufactured. They started a stability test and had data to justify the dates printed on the tests that went out the door to people. Those stability tests kept going and everything was still fine at +6 months, so those lots have extended use-by dates past what is printed on the packaging. Basically, they didn't wait to figure out the maximum amount of stability time possible before printing & shipping things.

https://www.fda.gov/media/158007/download

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I thought the home tests weren't great to begin with? Is it just a better than nothing kinda thing?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

I thought the home tests weren't great to begin with? Is it just a better than nothing kinda thing?

It’s a ‘we need to get rid of this excess inventory so capitalism can sell you more tests’ thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm fairly certain this isn't actually an issue, I had a barely noticeable sore throat this morning that's already cleared up and out of an abundance of caution took a 🐀 test.

The instructions, like most tests say to read it at 15 minutes, then dispose it at 20 minutes as the result is no longer valid. I can say with absolute certainty I received a negative at that time. I'm a moron though, and like to hold on to them and check periodically throughout the day for emotional reassurance.

I had a peek maybe once an hour, but I just looked at the 3 hour mark and there's a faint line there which has never happened to me before. I'm chaulking it up to it being a different kind of 🐀 from the brand we usually receive from the govt and I'm not at all treating it as a valid result but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

It sat entirely undisturbed on my desk during that time period.