Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I feel like I need to go back and check to see if Hori legit forgot edgeshot was there and had to figure out something for him to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Why does that girl who can make things not simply make a million organs to transplant into people before the battle

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
That would disrupt the economy

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I am pretty sure it was explicitly stated that she can't create anything organic.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Pacemakers exist

Edit: or maybe they don't in this world

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Make a cybernetic implant

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Lt. Lizard posted:

I am pretty sure it was explicitly stated that she can't create anything organic.

The distinction between organic and synthetic doesn't really exist when you get down to a molecular level, it'd probably make more sense to say that she can't create anything that's alive.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Realistically like half the world's supply of ICBMs would be on their way to land on Shigaraki's forehead at this point.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I have never quite grasped edgeshot's quirk* and tbh from this cliffhanger I don't think Hori has a very clear idea of it to begin with. Like, after thinking for two seconds through the idea of edgeshot turning himself into a string, weaving(?) replacements for the missing parts of the heart, and then manually pumping blood through bakugo's heart for even a minute, "best jeanist just works on muscle fibers now, roll with it" would've been way more intuitive and felt less out-of-nowhere

*I know what it does and how it works I can just not ever tell what it's doing in an action sequence or what it's supposed to be able to do. He can "transform faster than the speed of sound"; what the gently caress does that mean, and if it's just "he can launch his transformed spring parts so fast it breaks the sound barrier," why not just say that? One would think a transformation would have a length measured in time, not a linear speed. How does he e.g. fight Shigaraki by doing anything other than making microscopic holes in him, and what is that supposed to do besides stabbing someone in the heart or brain? I simply don't get it.

To compare to Horikoshi's favorite movie, "He can transform faster than the speed of sound" has a real "Kessel run in 12 parsecs" energy, except that how fast the millennium falcon actually was didn't matter at all to the narrative. Are all his attacks/transformations as loud as a gunshot? It was never meant to bear this much narrative weight.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 29, 2022

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

From a shonen standpoint, I want to say that space lasers are probably as potent as nukes.

And if WWII didn't happen in this timeline, who knows where the worldview on nukes stands.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

oh jay posted:

From a shonen standpoint, I want to say that space lasers are probably as potent as nukes.

And if WWII didn't happen in this timeline, who knows where the worldview on nukes stands.

World War II did happen.* MHA is set in the future, not an alternate present.

*Unless, of course, that really was Denji in the war arc, in which case the President should stop being a weenie and make a deal with the Gun Devil.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 29, 2022

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I've always interpreted Edgeshot's quirk as working a bit like origami - he can fold his body up into any shape as though he were made of paper, including very sharp pointy things. So I guess as far as I understand it here, Edgeshot is origami-ing himself into a human heart, which could kinda work because it'd still be made out of flesh, not paper??? But of course if you think about it for more than a second, obviously that wouldn't work in real life and why would that even continue to beat after Edgeshot dies? But whatever, it's a shonen manga. Lots of things in MHA are stupid.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

World War II did happen.* MHA is set in the future, not an alternate present.

*Unless, of course, that really was Denji in the war arc, in which case the President should stop being a weenie and make a deal with the Gun Devil.

The Fallout series also takes place in the future, but the back half of the 20th century looks completely different. What is the divergence point is what I'm asking.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

oh jay posted:

The Fallout series also takes place in the future, but the back half of the 20th century looks completely different. What is the divergence point is what I'm asking.

I think the only clue we've ever gotten on that is Midoriya saying "If quirks hadn't happened, mankind would already be colonizing space" or something to the gist of that anyway. So the answer seems to be 'idk, any point before extensive space exploration?'

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

absolutely lots of quirks are just kinda stupid if you think about them for too long, as with all superpowers, this just stands out to me because the explicit initial gag regarding edgeshot is that he claims to be able to do ninja magic but it's literally just a million versions of "makes himself into string" (uses a string arm to hook a log into his current position while he strings away to be substitution jutsu, turning into a very thin string to pass through doors and walls, etc), and this doesn't fit intuitively into that at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Valentin posted:

absolutely lots of quirks are just kinda stupid if you think about them for too long, as with all superpowers, this just stands out to me because the explicit initial gag regarding edgeshot is that he claims to be able to do ninja magic but it's literally just a million versions of "makes himself into string" (uses a string arm to hook a log into his current position while he strings away to be substitution jutsu, turning into a very thin string to pass through doors and walls, etc), and this doesn't fit intuitively into that at all.

So what you're saying is that it is 100% in line with comic books.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

oh jay posted:

I think quirks seem to have appeared during our present.
Its just the massive upheaval of world order set the world back a bit.

Its also in this weird kind of western capes comics divide where the heros get all the advanced tech and wild looking buildings while the normal world is still at present day tech and architecture.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

So what you're saying is that it is 100% in line with bad comic books.

fixed but otherwise yes

e: also the use of magnetic in that panel actually makes way more sense intuitively than this does. Like it's immediately understandable what's going on and how the writer got there, it's just also stupid.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 29, 2022

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

I think the only clue we've ever gotten on that is Midoriya saying "If quirks hadn't happened, mankind would already be colonizing space" or something to the gist of that anyway. So the answer seems to be 'idk, any point before extensive space exploration?'

I can't believe that Archduke Ferdinand was the glowing baby.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Valentin posted:

fixed but otherwise yes

Nah, it happens in all comics. Aquaman once revealed he can give people seizures by communicating with the part of their brain that evolved from aquatic ancestors, the Flash can make clothes out of speed, etc, etc. It's just a part of the genre.

(Also part of the genre AND of shonen genre: people surviving things that really logically should kill them extremely hard or at least give them horrifying infections and crippling injuries that leave them unable to move for months or years, because only the absolute smallest number of shonen series really want to deal with that.)

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

where is the comic that stakes a cliffhanger and emotional beat on "the flash can make speed force clothes" because I very badly want to read it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Valentin posted:

where is the comic that stakes a cliffhanger and emotional beat on "the flash can make speed force clothes" because I very badly want to read it

There was a Flash comic that had him get shot in the chest and die and then reveal next chapter he survived because a random cyborg he'd fought issues ago left a cyborg implant inside of him that conveniently revived him from the dead.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Valentin posted:

I mean, the infamous Death of Superman ultimately resolved with the reveal that "actually when Kryptonians are close to death, they enter a 'healing coma' that is otherwise identical to death, but they're actually fine. This has never been mentioned before and will never be mentioned again."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

I mean, the infamous Death of Superman ultimately resolved with the reveal that "actually when Kryptonians are close to death, they enter a 'healing coma' that is otherwise identical to death, but they're actually fine. This has never been mentioned before and will never be mentioned again."

Once they revealed a character named Xorn was actually Magneto in disguise and then Magneto died and then it was revealed that Magneto-Xorn was actually a clone of Magneto who was copying the identity of previously unestablished character Xorn and neither Xorn nor Magneto were dead.

The Punisher once got cut to literal pieces by Wolverine's evil son and then was revived as a Frankenstein named Frankencastle.

Jason Todd came back from the dead because Superboy got so angry he punched reality REALLY hard.

Spider-Man died after he turned into a giant spider and then gave birth to himself

And if we want to get into Manga, Joseph Joestar had all of his blood drained from his body and was revived when some of that blood was transfusioned back in from a decapitated corpse, Goku survived a seemingly fatal shot because the attack missed all of his vital organs, Saint Seiya is... Saint Seiya....

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ImpAtom posted:

There was a Flash comic that had him get shot in the chest and die and then reveal next chapter he survived because a random cyborg he'd fought issues ago left a cyborg implant inside of him that conveniently revived him from the dead.

Flash x Flash.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Once they revealed a character named Xorn was actually Magneto in disguise and then Magneto died and then it was revealed that Magneto-Xorn was actually a clone of Magneto who was copying the identity of previously unestablished character Xorn and neither Xorn nor Magneto were dead.

The Punisher once got cut to literal pieces by Wolverine's evil son and then was revived as a Frankenstein named Frankencastle.

Jason Todd came back from the dead because Superboy got so angry he punched reality REALLY hard.

Spider-Man died after he turned into a giant spider and then gave birth to himself

And if we want to get into Manga, Joseph Joestar had all of his blood drained from his body and was revived when some of that blood was transfusioned back in from a decapitated corpse, Goku survived a seemingly fatal shot because the attack missed all of his vital organs, Saint Seiya is... Saint Seiya....

Ahem, decapitated vampire corpse, tyym.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
remember that time spider-man became a giant spider and then laid a million eggs but he himself was in one of his eggs so he gave birth to himself?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also we haven't technically gotten into full cape comic stupidity yet believe it or not. It's been mentioned before but if Best Jeanist was in X-Men his power would've eventually let him manipulate DNA because it also somehow counts as a fiber

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Fabricated posted:

Also we haven't technically gotten into full cape comic stupidity yet believe it or not. It's been mentioned before but if Best Jeanist was in X-Men his power would've eventually let him manipulate DNA because it also somehow counts as a fiber

counts as a zipper

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Fabricated posted:

I loving love that poo poo. Yes, my power is the ability to manipulate boundries, I usually manifest it by just opening portals, but if I get serious I can do this *guy instantly keels over because theres a boundry between life and death and they skewed it toward the death direction*

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Well, it's a lot better than his "boundary pushing" comedy set from last week.

His attack helicopter joke was completely insensitive and offended both the trans students and the part-mecha students alike.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If cyclops were in MHA do you think he could shonen willpower the punch dimension his eyes emit to punch even harder somehow?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

If cyclops were in MHA do you think he could shonen willpower the punch dimension his eyes emit to punch even harder somehow?

Yeah. I bet it'd be a different color too and it would look sick

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Space Ripper Punchy Eyes

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, it happens in all comics. Aquaman once revealed he can give people seizures by communicating with the part of their brain that evolved from aquatic ancestors, the Flash can make clothes out of speed, etc, etc. It's just a part of the genre.

(Also part of the genre AND of shonen genre: people surviving things that really logically should kill them extremely hard or at least give them horrifying infections and crippling injuries that leave them unable to move for months or years, because only the absolute smallest number of shonen series really want to deal with that.)

"The genre is rife with examples of poo poo writing" is not a solid defense of this particular example of poo poo writing imo.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fabricated posted:

This would own honestly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mymla posted:

"The genre is rife with examples of poo poo writing" is not a solid defense of this particular example of poo poo writing imo.

I mean the issue here is that "isn't realistic" isn't the same as "poo poo writing.' If something is trying to be realistic then yes, it's a flaw if it isn't, but fiction as a whole generally isn't concerned with that unless it is an explicit point it is concerned with that. Especially superhero and shonen media are far more interested in the emotional logic of something than the actual logic.

The cinemasins style of "(x) sucks because (y) thing isn't realistic" is meaningless because they are not trying to write something realistic. That doesn't mean you can't complain about plot points but when you reach the level of "Well this character CLEARLY should have died of sepsis" when you're discussing a franchise where people punch each other in the face/set each other on fire/stab each other on a regular basis without people dying instantly it's pretty silly.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
There's a difference between "it's unrealistic" and "the writer is literally just making random poo poo up to justify the harebrained plot and using a random nearby character's superpower as an explanation for whatever magical phenomenon just happened, regardless if it makes any sense or not".

Prowler
May 24, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the issue here is that "isn't realistic" isn't the same as "poo poo writing.' If something is trying to be realistic then yes, it's a flaw if it isn't, but fiction as a whole generally isn't concerned with that unless it is an explicit point it is concerned with that. Especially superhero and shonen media are far more interested in the emotional logic of something than the actual logic.

The cinemasins style of "(x) sucks because (y) thing isn't realistic" is meaningless because they are not trying to write something realistic. That doesn't mean you can't complain about plot points but when you reach the level of "Well this character CLEARLY should have died of sepsis" when you're discussing a franchise where people punch each other in the face/set each other on fire/stab each other on a regular basis without people dying instantly it's pretty silly.

The issue, for me, is that MHA initially established itself as a super hero comic with a side of realism: quirks have actual side effects on the human body because the human body wasn't designed or them. Using your quirk lowers your intelligence, or messes with your digestive system, can destroy your body if you use even 50% of your power, destroys your mental health, etc. Aside from violating the laws of physics/chemistry/biology, the quirks themselves were still just physical in nature: some change in your body that allows your body to do something it normally couldn't. Using quirks--and especially overusing them--had dire and potentially deadly consequences.

The narrative is slowly removing those consequences (if you lose your powers, we'll just rewind them. If you heart explodes, we'll just rebuild it), draining what little tension there was, and renders certain plot points pointless. Sure, we're at the point where we have quirk ghosts and a dude who can shoot out an unlimited amount of organic matter from his body that is somehow not a quirk, does not have any drawbacks, and this is WITH all of his other powers suppressed.

But it feels disingenuous to say "duh it's not realistic, it's a comic" when the comic itself was trying to go in a quasi-realistic path. And it's even more understandable to have that reaction when the realism is dropped to serve a plot problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place. No one would be complaining about an exploded heart being rebuilt being unrealistic if the author, for some reason, didn't feel it necessary to add that plot beat in the first place.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I think a key part differentiating MHA and general superhero comics is that MHA is all written by one person who supposedly had a singular story they wanted to tell. A lot of the strangest comic moments in Marvel/DC are from when writers change over and they want to reset the world in some way.