Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

But the thing is, this game doesn't auto progress loading screens, like some games do. The other setting lets you sit on the Loading Screen as long as you want until you hit Confirm, which appears in 2 to sub-1 seconds depending on what you're using.

If you're like me you mash X to progress so quickly the loading screen never shows up!

I'm not saying it makes sense, just saying that the reason behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/search/persona%205%20royal%20dlc

I mean I can just point to this if you want an example.

Edit: And this is Royal, which had all the OTHER DLC already packed in, and now the re-rerelease for the X-BOX and PC is having THAT DLC packed in.

I mean. Yeah? I'm not arguing that the games didn't have lovely DLC practices. But the 3ds titles all (as far as I remember, I know IV and IVA did at least) had additional demon DLC that at least added fights. And so did V. That's really all I'm saying. I didn't mind paying 10 dollars to fight Demifiend in V cuz I got a bunch of fights to go with it. At least I got to fight Mephisto and Artemis with their DLC and had a little story thing. If the DLCs were just "you can summon the fiends/meph/artemis/whatever from the compendium for free" I wouldn't have bought them and would think it's extra bad, and that seems to be the case here. So I don't like it.

I don't really consider costume DLC or w/e the same I guess. It's a lovely practice but it's not "content" as far as I'm concerned so I don't care about it.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 27, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I mean. Yeah? I'm not arguing that the games didn't have lovely DLC practices. But the 3ds titles all (as far as I remember, I know IV and IVA did at least) had additional demon DLC that at least added fights. And so did V. That's really all I'm saying. I didn't mind paying 10 dollars to fight Demifiend in V cuz I got a bunch of fights to go with it. At least I got to fight Mephisto and Artemis with their DLC and had a little story thing. If the DLCs were just "you can summon the fiends/meph/artemis/whatever from the compendium for free" I wouldn't have bought them and would think it's extra bad, and that seems to be the case here. So I don't like it.I

I literally just linked you to Persona 5's DLC which includes a significant number of Persona who are just added to the game. They do exactly that. The SH2 thing is the same "cheat DLC super monster" thing.

I don't mind thinking it's dumb because it is, but acting like Soul Hackers 2 is somehow different from the other recent games is drat silly. You can pay money for cheats or for extra boss battles that would have been part of the game in a pre-DLC release. (Well, okay, more likely considering the Atlus tradition it would have been part of a rerelease they make you pay full price for.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 27, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I literally just linked you to Persona 5's DLC which includes a significant number of Persona who are just added to the game. They do exactly that. The SH2 thing is the same "cheat DLC super monster" thing.

I don't mind thinking it's dumb because it is, but acting like Soul Hackers 2 is somehow different from the other recent games is drat silly. You can pay money for cheats or for extra boss battles that would have been part of the game in a pre-DLC release. (Well, okay, more likely considering the Atlus tradition it would have been part of a rerelease they make you pay full price for.)

Persona 5 being also the same level of lovely is just one other time they did it when every other time it was less bad. SMTV came out long after Royal and it went the slightly less bad route even!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Persona 5 being also the same level of lovely is just one other time they did it when every other time it was less bad. SMTV came out long after Royal and it went the slightly less bad route even!

I guess I'm not seeing a meaningful difference between "punch mitama in the face for profit" and "get a demon for free for profit" in terms of cheat DLC. Both exist entirely so people will blow money on making the game easier.

Regardless it kinda goes back to the fact that this is exactly what Atlus has been doing for a while now. It isn't even just SMT. They sold bonus classes and literal jpgs in Etrian Odyssey for example.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 27, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

We're going to have to agree to disagree then. I don't care about cheat DLC at all because the games are not balanced in a way to make you tempted to buy it if you don't want to. It's dumb or whatever but I feel like it's overall a net neutral thing on the game.

Putting a bunch of demons behind a paywall and not even having the courtesy to let me fight them or have a little quest attached bugs me alot! If I could pay 2.99 for a silly 10min back and forth with mara before fighting them and getting them that way, it'd still be bad but I'd probably buy it, as I did in the past for these games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

We're going to have to agree to disagree then. I don't care about cheat DLC at all because the games are not balanced in a way to make you tempted to buy it if you don't want to. It's dumb or whatever but I feel like it's overall a net neutral thing on the game.

Putting a bunch of demons behind a paywall and not even having the courtesy to let me fight them or have a little quest attached bugs me alot! If I could pay 2.99 for a silly 10min back and forth with mara before fighting them and getting them that way, it'd still be bad but I'd probably buy it, as I did in the past for these games.

Yeah, I can't get this at all because the Artemis/Cleo/Etc bonus fights were incredibly boring and unmemorable. I genuinely can't imaging thinking they add anything because all I remember about the Artemis fight is her exploding in like three turns, one of which she wasted on an ice attack that half my team absorbed The Fiends were cool but that was because they felt like boss fights with some design behind them instead of perfunctory stuff to vaguely justify the cost.

Bonus content designed around hard bosses in SMT tends to be fun and everything else is just a faint excuse to give you something OP easily. (Or costumes/music/etc.) I feel like the difference between "pay money, get demon" and "Pay money, punch demon in a 2 round boss fight, get demon" basically have a hair between them.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
So, as much as we all hate the DLC situation and agree it's bullshit, is The Lost Numbers actually worth it? I'm still really early on so I wouldn't be able to access it anyway, but I've been looking at that "quests start at level 19" message and wondering if I should grab it around then.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Never pay for day one dlc. It's morally wrong

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ohhhhh im thinking about smt again aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Apparently if you're playing above 60 fps on PC your character's movement gets messed up and it takes way longer to accelerate and decelerate than it's supposed to

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Stuff like the Artemis DLC only really bothers me in that it is mid to early game content that you're incentivized to buy when you start "just in case", otherwise you risk rendering it meaningless by virtue of simply progressing through the game. In this case yes the boss is not terribly hard or interesting (though by virtue of being early game you can just overlevel for it anyway) but being able to rationally determine that when you're first buying and playing the game is not going to be easy for all consumers. At that point, just put it in the game by default or design it around a post/NG+ fight that people will be able to better determine "yes I want a superboss fight at the end of all of this" or not.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://github.com/Lyall/SoulHackers2Fix

Ultrawide fix as well as graphics settings. Lets you set the renderer beyond the default 100% so you can downsample

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

lets hang out posted:

Apparently if you're playing above 60 fps on PC your character's movement gets messed up and it takes way longer to accelerate and decelerate than it's supposed to

That would make a lot of sense. I found it really weird how much momentum Ringo has starting and stopping.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It just occurred to me that the "De La Mancha" is a stand-in for those Din Quixote stores, given that's the full title of the book/character. They even have the same sounding jingle and all.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

HGH posted:

It just occurred to me that the "De La Mancha" is a stand-in for those Din Quixote stores, given that's the full title of the book/character. They even have the same sounding jingle and all.

Love that Karakucho is basically just a mashup of Tenkaichi street and Nakamichi street from Kamurocho in the Yakuza games, which is still just Kabukicho

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

First Impressions of Soul Hackers 2

The Good
The battle system is still good, it's not press turn but it isn't as awful as Demon Coop
The characters are more interesting and varied than I'd assumed they'd be, they kinda pull the same thing Apocalypse did with giving you a person from each faction e.g. Phantom Society, Yatagarasu, Aion, Independent
The in game areas are nice to look at, and the splash screens for the stores are decent, very TWEWY
There's a food system, and the social aspect is nice to see emphasized both in terms of story and gameplay

The Bad
Everything feels sluggish, your movement speed is glacial, battles don't have the level of speed that they need given how much slower they are without press turn allowing you to one turn everything easily
The aesthetic doesn't live up to it's predecessors cyberpunk coolness, it feels more like a streamer with those stupid triangle lights
The actual soul dungeons are dull in both design and aesthetic. Sub Tartarus
The vision quests and seeing people lives before death don't hold a candle to how cool they were in SH

Overall it's pretty good but I need it to get challenging soon

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

First Impressions of Soul Hackers 2

The Good
The battle system is still good, it's not press turn but it isn't as awful as Demon Coop
The characters are more interesting and varied than I'd assumed they'd be, they kinda pull the same thing Apocalypse did with giving you a person from each faction e.g. Phantom Society, Yatagarasu, Aion, Independent
The in game areas are nice to look at, and the splash screens for the stores are decent, very TWEWY
There's a food system, and the social aspect is nice to see emphasized both in terms of story and gameplay

The Bad
Everything feels sluggish, your movement speed is glacial, battles don't have the level of speed that they need given how much slower they are without press turn allowing you to one turn everything easily
The aesthetic doesn't live up to it's predecessors cyberpunk coolness, it feels more like a streamer with those stupid triangle lights
The actual soul dungeons are dull in both design and aesthetic. Sub Tartarus
The vision quests and seeing people lives before death don't hold a candle to how cool they were in SH

Overall it's pretty good but I need it to get challenging soon

Once you get a bit further Sabbath should absolutely let you one turn any rando encounter.
I think it's a case of what is cyberpunk just being different these days. Streamers/AI kinda stuff is what a lot of modern stuff leans into
Oh yeah I have no idea why they didn't AT MINIMUM give each Soul Matrix its own distinctive look.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I had a dream where Soul Hackers 2 kind of sucked and even in the dream I was like "it's ok I still didn't finish the Persona Tactics game"

I think. my dream brain confused that with Triangle Strategy, which I actually didn't finish and yet really enjoyed. But There's that and then Persona 5 Royal soon so I think it'll be fine if there's a totally skippable SMT in there, as sad as it is. I feel like in the DS/3DS era I would play pretty much any Atlus game without asking

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
How does Soul Hackers 2 run on PS4 Pro? Trying to decide whether to go for the PC release, but also I like having games on my shelf so if the PS4 version is fine I might just get that instead

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck for that matter, anyone try playing it on the Steam Deck? I'd normally be content with just snagging it for my PS5 but later this week I'm gonna be out of town for awhile and it would be very rude to bring my PS5 there as it's bigger than the house I'll be staying in.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m gonna buy it on XBOX just for the novelty of it

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Srice posted:

Heck for that matter, anyone try playing it on the Steam Deck? I'd normally be content with just snagging it for my PS5 but later this week I'm gonna be out of town for awhile and it would be very rude to bring my PS5 there as it's bigger than the house I'll be staying in.

Well, it took about four tries but I finally got it to boot on mine. Couldn't get past a cloud sync error so I just started a new game to try it out, but it runs pretty well at default, max settings. There are a few graphical effects missing, but it's definitely playable once it boots.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I've put in about 2.5 hours of Soul Hackers 2 on my PS4 (standard model) and it runs fine as far as I can tell. I've enjoyed the handful of quests that I've played so far and really dig the combat. It's nice to do something that sin't press turn for once mostly just because it's different. I haven't touched the DLC and I really don't know if I'll bother to do so.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think the only thing that's weird with combat system is the Stack system doesn't really disadvantage you at all (so far anyway). Not complaining, it's just odd playing an SMT game where I haven't been hosed over by an unlucky crit or having the wrong weaknesses.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Sakurazuka posted:

I think the only thing that's weird with combat system is the Stack system doesn't really disadvantage you at all (so far anyway). Not complaining, it's just odd playing an SMT game where I haven't been hosed over by an unlucky crit or having the wrong weaknesses.

I find it refreshing. I doubt I'll feel as stressed as I do playing SMT proper and will be able to treat this as more a casual adventure, like I did with #FE.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

I really like Ringo and the other party members. Even the most boring one isn't a drag.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Well, it took about four tries but I finally got it to boot on mine. Couldn't get past a cloud sync error so I just started a new game to try it out, but it runs pretty well at default, max settings. There are a few graphical effects missing, but it's definitely playable once it boots.

Good to know, thanks! Might wait a lil bit to see if the graphical stuff gets patched.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone know how far I am through the story if I just killed Iron Masks pet demon? Feels like I've spent the majority of the time doing side stuff and I've no idea how long the main quest is going to be lol.
Aion just gave the the third part of the broken COMP sidequest and was like 'I'd do this sooner rather than later before you carry on with other stuff' so I was wondering.

I do have one major complaint now, the amount of items you can carry is relatively low, especially powerful healing items, and if you're full and you pick another one up it's just lost forever, no stash, no warning.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Similar experience here, froze/crash the first few times but after quitting and retrying it eventually worked, and seems to start up fine now. Runs well, though I'd recommend bumping the refresh rate/FPS cap to 40 to save some battery. Biggest glitch I've noticed so far is that the game stopped playing music at some point, and a restart was needed to bring it back. Graphical weirdness that I've noticed: the resolution defaults to 1280x720, and if you try to change it to 1280x800 (the Deck's native resolution), the game freezes. (I might try fiddling with the resolution patch linked by Gyoru tonight to see if it works on the Deck.) Also, the only in-game antialiasing option is a "yes/no" toggle, and I think it's either not working or working poorly, because I'm still seeing a lot of jagged edges.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

cardinale posted:

I really like Ringo and the other party members. Even the most boring one isn't a drag.

They all have drip and style...

That's what kids these days say for good fashion, right?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't like shark teeth and I never will

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saizo is a good boy.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Until I saw her being summoned by a midboss it completely slipped my mind that Angel got redesigned just for SMT5.
Also the goddamn flavor Jacks are amazing.

Getting Dormina'd for 90% of my HP sure is a revelation that status spells now do RUIN type damage.

EDIT: Anyone else find it funny that SMT5's "Dampeners" blocked damage but SH2's "Walls" only increase resistance?

HGH fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 30, 2022

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
SH2 is good, it's a fun time. Xbox version has cross play and cross save with Microsoft store version.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Has anyone playing SH2 noticed that the music that plays at the end of each soul matrix level is either the same, or nearly identical to the "talking to the characters" music in the original Valkyrie Profile?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
SH2 takes a minute to ramp up but once the wheels come off I think it's a pretty fun little game! It doesn't feel high budget but doesn't exactly feel like a budget title either. I do think it would feel better to play as a first person dungeon crawler but I'm enjoying the heck out of it so far.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Levantine posted:

SH2 takes a minute to ramp up but once the wheels come off I think it's a pretty fun little game! It doesn't feel high budget but doesn't exactly feel like a budget title either. I do think it would feel better to play as a first person dungeon crawler but I'm enjoying the heck out of it so far.

I get the feeling that this game was going to be a switch title, and was later upscaled for the bigger consols, which might explain why some people feel the game seems cheap looking.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

cdyoung posted:

I get the feeling that this game was going to be a switch title, and was later upscaled for the bigger consols, which might explain why some people feel the game seems cheap looking.

It's on everything except Switch though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

SpiderLink posted:

It's on everything except Switch though.

I know which is the weirdest thing, I for the life of me thought it was going to be a switch title from what I've seen, it has the same graphics as SMTV.