Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Early postin’

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (October 24-30, 1983)

Comic Strips 2022: Too many Caucasians make me nervous

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 28, 2022

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I knew immediately which commercial he was talking about which means it is indeed a great commercial. Also I still have no idea what EDS does, so he was right on that one too.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Two Heads Talking on the Phone for Eleven Panels MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Next Week on the Phantom: Maybe Something Happens?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I can't tell if McGruder is attacking the idea of universal broadband itself or if it's just another "Bush dumb and bad" joke. I know this strip has aged poorly in a lot of ways, and this is before every business in the world moved to online job applications, but it seems bizarre to frame it as a bad idea.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Next Week on the Phantom: Maybe Something Happens?

I hope so, they've been dragging this out for months.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days: spoilered just in case for tamely-presented adult situation inc male-presenting nipples

Cthulhu and Girl

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Giant Ethicist posted:

Haraiso Days: spoilered just in case for tamely-presented adult situation inc male-presenting nipples

RIP to this guy (in a different comic)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I work on the NMCI government contract and EDS was spun off of HP enterprise to get rid of it. EDS in turn became Perspecta. In a surprise move Leidos got the contract and now the long line of failures should be die soon. That video is it’s greatest contribution to the modern world.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Oct 4, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 27-28, 1992)

Big Nate

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

There are two schools of thought on endings.

There's the Babylon 5 method: "Here are the complete thoughts and feelings of every character at this point in their own lives, and you're invited to reflect on exactly where they've been and where they're going as you watch each of them individually (and literally) walk away toward their separate futures. This will take three episodes."

And there's the Star Trek: Voyager method: "Hey, that was exciting, but they've just this instant gotten back to the alpha quadrant, so... roll credits! Hope you weren't wondering how they'd blend back into life in Starfleet and/or the Federation, or anything like that. Anyway, join us for the adventures of a whole new crew on 'Enterprise', coming this fall to UPN!"

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Financial Problems For Everyone! Unless You're A Small Business Owner! Or Dating Someone In The Family! Hooray!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for August 26, 1926!

John Held Jr.

Frederick Strothmann:

Harrison Cady:

And in the "foreign cartoons tossed in the back with the ad copy" section, Theodore van Elsen:

Meanwhile, in the movie section, Vitaphone clears its throat and the talkies are on the horizon.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Appreciate the Pink Floyd reference. Not a song that commonly gets acknowledged.

goatface posted:

I hope so, they've been dragging this out for months.

The Phantom dragging a story out pointlessly for months?

This is a great use of the 'new Nancy' formula

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 21, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Zeni

Rhymes with Orange

Brenda Starr 5/15/49

"Hang on. Your cousin's name is John St. John?"

Smokey Stover 10/30/49

Everyday Movies 7/11/49

"I'm in favor of taking a bungalow again this August, but there's got to be a clear understanding there won't be more than five girls in a room -- except Saturdays and Sundays, of course."

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 20, 2000)

Superbowl XXXIV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_MaJDK3VNE

Edit: gently caress; Beaten

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 29, 2022

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 28, 1952)

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

I work on the NMCI government contract and EDS was spun off of HP enterprise to get rid of it. EDS in turn became Perspecta. In a surprise move Leidos got the contract and now the long line of failures should be die soon. That video is it’s greatest contribution to the modern world.

EDS started out as a Ross Perot IT services company, he sold it to GM at one point and GM put him on him on the board. Perot was such a pain int he rear end they sold it back to him for pennies on the dollar. He sold it or got bought out. A year or two after that commercial EDS was involved in an accounting scandal where they were overvaluing IT contract jobs, and got devalued, split up, and bought out. At that time they were also a poo poo company.

MarxCarl fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 29, 2022

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Reminder that Will Henry owns a cheese shop irl.

Heart of the City

Curtis

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

MarxCarl posted:

EDS started out as a Ross Perot IT services company, he sold it to GM at one point and put him on him on the board. Perot was such a pain int he rear end they sold it back to him for pennies on the dollar. He sold it or got bought out. A year or two after that commercial EDS was involved in an accounting scandal where they were overvaluing IT contract jobs, and got devalued, split up, and bought out. At that time they were also a poo poo company.

What happened to the cats?

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver: Green Door

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Sharp eyed viewers will recognise three of these toughs from GdxB.

Sure enough the three of the “toughs” in todays comic appeared in the Giant Days / Batman crossover. Here's the page in question if you don't want to click the link:

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Kennel posted:

we went and found new jobs

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Reminder that Will Henry owns a cheese shop irl.
Small thing, but I appreciate Wallace using "their" here.
This is so fuckin' dumb. Produce sales would certainly decline, but not every use of produce is in salad. Sometimes I want some peppers to saute for fajitas or some cherries to make a pie with!

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 29, 2022

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Hostile V posted:

Financial Problems For Everyone! Unless You're A Small Business Owner! Or Dating Someone In The Family! Hooray!

If she wasn't being given the scholarships due to donations or other similarly nefarious reasons, and Fiona wasn't revealed to be doing something with bad pr, why would her athletic scholarships be withdrawn explicitly because she lost her fortune?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

L-Innsikt

Zelda

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 29, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

maltesh posted:

If she wasn't being given the scholarships due to donations or other similarly nefarious reasons, and Fiona wasn't revealed to be doing something with bad pr, why would her athletic scholarships be withdrawn explicitly because she lost her fortune?
I Hope This Answers Your Questions

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Small thing, but I appreciate Wallace using "their" here.
Me too! Not just as a signal that Will Henry's with it, but it also really fits Wallace's character as a kid in the 2020s and his unconditional support for his friend Spud in all things. :3:

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blase: The Jericho Caper

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kennel posted:

It was rough for a while but my understanding is they managed to land on their feet.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

maltesh posted:

Well since none of them were being offered by main chars, they were probably only offered by greedy bad people, not good people like the main chars.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I can't tell if McGruder is attacking the idea of universal broadband itself or if it's just another "Bush dumb and bad" joke. I know this strip has aged poorly in a lot of ways, and this is before every business in the world moved to online job applications, but it seems bizarre to frame it as a bad idea.

I'm reading it as criticizing Bush for using the prospect of universal broadband service as an election year ploy. As you mentioned, this was a time before everyone and everything was terminally online - Zuckerberg had just launched The Facebook two months prior to this strip - so the necessity of it wasn't fully evident yet (One statistic I found said that only 55% of adult Americans in 2004 had access to broadband, either at home or work.) At the time, it was just a "Hey, wouldn't this be cool? We're working on it, we promise" kind of thing that Bush & Co. leveraged in an attempt to make people forget about the Iraq War. ("Luckily," the furor around gay marriage took over political discourse by November and helped the dumbass secure a second term.)

Oh, and this is from days ago but man this Arnold got me good. Perfect punchline structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

JethroMcB posted:

Oh, and this is from days ago but man this Arnold got me good. Perfect punchline structure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HgejSCHRi8 It always gets me