Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

soliciting imp advice on what kind of jrpg dungeons to go with. i'm got an SMT-style overworld, but there's 4 dungeon aesthetics I'm between atm.
the game is probably going to be closer to suikoden, but you're recruiting demons and gods via combat, dialogue, or other challenges

1. slay the spire icon crawl - extremely easy to make but kind of boring. I'm not sure if this works well with jrpgs
2. SMT2 classic dungeon crawler - I've got something like this working already, but I don't think it's aged particularly well. I could unlock the movement and have it like wolfenstein 3d I guess lol
3. darkest dungeon - kind of a stretch, but I like drawing DND maps and I think this is an easy way to make a ton of high quality dungeons. I was thinking of doing this but going mildly higher effort with puzzles and traps vs darkest dungeon which is just a combat labyrinth
4. SMT3 3d dungeons - I would have to make them low poly / ps1 textures or else this might take me a million years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mbt posted:

soliciting imp advice on what kind of jrpg dungeons to go with. i'm got an SMT-style overworld, but there's 4 dungeon aesthetics I'm between atm.
the game is probably going to be closer to suikoden, but you're recruiting demons and gods via combat, dialogue, or other challenges

1. slay the spire icon crawl - extremely easy to make but kind of boring. I'm not sure if this works well with jrpgs
2. SMT2 classic dungeon crawler - I've got something like this working already, but I don't think it's aged particularly well. I could unlock the movement and have it like wolfenstein 3d I guess lol
3. darkest dungeon - kind of a stretch, but I like drawing DND maps and I think this is an easy way to make a ton of high quality dungeons. I was thinking of doing this but going mildly higher effort with puzzles and traps vs darkest dungeon which is just a combat labyrinth
4. SMT3 3d dungeons - I would have to make them low poly / ps1 textures or else this might take me a million years
What I'm getting here is that you're making a million games + each other. #2 feels like the most realistic and manageable option even if it's not the most exciting

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mbt posted:

i would go for smt2 for ease lol.

the other day i downloaded rpgmakermv and went nuts tinkering w it. bobquest 3 will be real.

theres a lot of easy stuff you can do to instantly distinguish it from 99% of rpgmaker games (plugins for 3d and more ui customization), fun to mess with

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Go with 3. Give me some high quality dungeons

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mbt posted:

1 imo doesnt work for this kind of game unless you design the aesthetic around it, 4 would be an knsane amount of work for one dude. I think it depends on how much you want traversal to matter, if you wnt to make resource management/gathering a big part of game systems go 3 (or check out dungeon encounters for a good example of doing that style of game without resource mechanics), otherwise go with 2. ultimately you need to decide if you want combat systems or traversal systems to be the most important part of the game though

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

What about FF style overhead maps? Or is this just not a good fit for the style you want?

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Walk around like pokemon or dragon quest or whatever.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Leadthumb posted:

What about FF style overhead maps? Or is this just not a good fit for the style you want?
yeah its a style thing and I think that's well-worn territory for jpgs. my strength is definitely not art, so doing what you've seen a million times but it looks worse would be a harder sell imo.
it's my backup plan if 3 and 2 don't work out just because of how dead simple it is

Fungah! posted:

1 imo doesnt work for this kind of game unless you design the aesthetic around it, 4 would be an knsane amount of work for one dude. I think it depends on how much you want traversal to matter, if you wnt to make resource management/gathering a big part of game systems go 3 (or check out dungeon encounters for a good example of doing that style of game without resource mechanics), otherwise go with 2. ultimately you need to decide if you want combat systems or traversal systems to be the most important part of the game though
I need to play dungeon encounters because it sounds like a similar philosophy.

I think 2 (smt2 style) works great as a strict retroclone but I'm not sure that exact style is something I would want to emulate. i think the mazes were the worst part of strange journey tbh.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

daggerfall., SMT Style but U can use WASD on that mother fugge.r

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
proc gen SMT sounds loving insane but incredible lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mbt posted:

yeah its a style thing and I think that's well-worn territory for jpgs. my strength is definitely not art, so doing what you've seen a million times but it looks worse would be a harder sell imo.
it's my backup plan if 3 and 2 don't work out just because of how dead simple it is

I need to play dungeon encounters because it sounds like a similar philosophy.

I think 2 (smt2 style) works great as a strict retroclone but I'm not sure that exact style is something I would want to emulate. i think the mazes were the worst part of strange journey tbh.

yeah dungeon encounters is insanely good for a like ten buck game and its the best example i can think of about the 3 style of game that doesnt go hard on resource management. again though, depends on what the hook you want is, if its combat and not exploration/traversal 2 might be a better fit

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

mbt posted:

I know you were half joking here,

mbt posted:

I could unlock the movement and have it like wolfenstein 3d I guess lol

,but you could style it like option 2 but with different size rooms instead of being stuck on a grid, monsters could catch you etc. to make it more interesting.
I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's gotta be some games like that out there you could research and sorta pick out the do's and don'ts.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is smt2 like ultima underworld sort of thing. that's my suggestion. weird grid-based movement. this lets you have exploration and 'overworld' puzzles and stuff while keeping the jrpg encounter mechanics simple

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/321492877324713984/1011135338976124969/2022-08-22_00-50-08-1.webm

i messed around with option 3 a bit. you would navigate from room to room on the right using arrow keys / left stick

Larry Parrish posted:

is smt2 like ultima underworld sort of thing. that's my suggestion. weird grid-based movement. this lets you have exploration and 'overworld' puzzles and stuff while keeping the jrpg encounter mechanics simple

yeah. i'm just thinking of what I can do to alleviate my hatred of mazes

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Sub-Actuality posted:

the only game I've ever "finished" making was this buggy Newgrounds-y HTML5 + JS game that I put together as part of a class, it was my first Javascript project too. Incredibly simple "find and click the objects" type of thing that only really works on desktops. the music is obviously unauthorized and only works like half the time too lol

https://impzone.club/spy/

had a lot of fun playing this!

Leadthumb posted:

battle animation tests

walking animations

some enemies

Leadthumb posted:

Been looking for this forever. Man I should have repaired these drives forever ago.

this doesn't just kick rear end because you are great at making sprites, you also have a real skill for design. so many of these just jump out at you and become instantly memorable. that's why I think you should pursue this further. lots of people can draw nice things. not all of them can do this. go forth, imp.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

mbt posted:

5. in the style of loving's Field IV

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

years ago I had an idea with a friend to make an rpg in the style of Link's Awakening on GBC where you were a skeleton in the monster underworld/dark world like in Dragon Quest and Link to the Past. never got anywhere with it and struggled to make even the most basic poo poo, having no artistic skills whatsoever. but drawing pixels is fun and messing around with unity was cool. i've also dreamed about taking the same premise and making a Harvest Moon game. this thread has too much good poo poo in it so here is some stuff from the skeleton village.

it was called Skeleton's Quests

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bolverkur posted:

years ago I had an idea with a friend to make an rpg in the style of Link's Awakening on GBC where you were a skeleton in the monster underworld/dark world like in Dragon Quest and Link to the Past. never got anywhere with it and struggled to make even the most basic poo poo, having no artistic skills whatsoever. but drawing pixels is fun and messing around with unity was cool. i've also dreamed about taking the same premise and making a Harvest Moon game. this thread has too much good poo poo in it so here is some stuff from the skeleton village.

the first thing you learn about gamedev is that art is the hardest part and also 98% of a game. the skelly homes and graves are cute

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bolverkur posted:

Lol cool. Very cute

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Bolverkur posted:

I looooove the cata-comb club and the smiling house!

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Bolverkur posted:

lol cool that is a rad skeleton sprite

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I really like this little dude lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Sub-Actuality posted:

a friend

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Bolverkur posted:

had a lot of fun playing this!

this doesn't just kick rear end because you are great at making sprites, you also have a real skill for design. so many of these just jump out at you and become instantly memorable. that's why I think you should pursue this further. lots of people can draw nice things. not all of them can do this. go forth, imp.

:unsmith:

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Sub-Actuality posted:

hahah!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sub-Actuality posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

lol yeah

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sub-Actuality posted:

here comes a special boy!

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I think i've found a happy medium.

building 3d levels is usually pretty miserable, but there's a few games where regular people make maps pretty easily, and fast

someone wrote code to pull in trenchbroom / wads into godot lol. i can just make a bunch of levels in this. I would have dungeon crawling through doom/quake-ish levels, complete with keys and puzzles and stuff. this also allows for very easy first-strike combat, and opens the door for powerups in that aspect (bfg that just immediately vaporizes enemies)

this is what it looks like
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/321492877324713984/1013625678383566908/2022-08-28_21-45-22-1.webm

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

mbt posted:

building 3d levels is usually pretty miserable, but there's a few games where regular people make maps pretty easily, and fast

someone wrote code to pull in trenchbroom / wads into godot lol. i can just make a bunch of levels in this. I would have dungeon crawling through doom/quake-ish levels, complete with keys and puzzles and stuff. this also allows for very easy first-strike combat, and opens the door for powerups in that aspect (bfg that just immediately vaporizes enemies)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/321492877324713984/1013625678383566908/2022-08-28_21-45-22-1.webm

GJ! Keep it up!

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mbt posted:

hell yeah this looks cool

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mbt posted:

woah that's really cool

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mbt posted:

Awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mbt posted:

hell yeah, that's cool