Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/321492877324713984/1001604894144331797/2022-07-26_17-39-40-1.webm
i spent the last few months making an smt-type game.
still working on framework stuff atm, I need to find a competent pixel artist who can draw smt2 style character sprites.

open thread for anyone to post what they work on :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I completed a Gamemaker 2 tutorial like 4 years ago with vague aspirations of making a shmup for raspberry pi that would teach kids math. Also in like 8th grade I programmed a half-baked Zork clone for my TI-83+ that was a neverending chain of GOTO commands. It had random RPG battles which were just a screen of two numbers going down at random until one of them hit 0.

That's the extent of my gamedev.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

mbt posted:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/321492877324713984/1001604894144331797/2022-07-26_17-39-40-1.webm
still working on framework stuff atm, I need to find a competent pixel artist who can draw smt2 style character sprites.

Best of luck op. I also got inspired a while back to try and program a press turn battle system, but I never got past making a simple 4 on 4 battle (mostly) work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuH0uezscQs

Still go back and look at the code every so often but I haven't made many improvements, hopefully your project makes it further. Can never have enough press turn

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I've been wanting to make a little self published game forever but never really got past the point of fooling around in unity. I have all the tools I just need to definitively figure out what I'm doin.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
currently working on something myself OP

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I made several games in Game Maker when I was 12. They're still out there on a Freewebs site.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I've been keeping a list of simple game concepts for a while now, and I'm building my way up to start working on something as a serious project this year. Honestly we're probably all doing this lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mbt posted:

Evil Eagle posted:

Best of luck op. I also got inspired a while back to try and program a press turn battle system, but I never got past making a simple 4 on 4 battle (mostly) work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuH0uezscQs

Still go back and look at the code every so often but I haven't made many improvements, hopefully your project makes it further. Can never have enough press turn

these both look loving awesome

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
at some point i need to get off my rear end and make the best robotron clone ever, but i keep making doom mods instead

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

at some point i need to get off my rear end and make the best robotron clone ever, but i keep making doom mods instead

this but morrowind mods

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i put together some design ideas for a romancing saga 2-like near future game but i'm hamstrung by bein way too lazy to learn how to code or do pixel art to make it. the ideas that you play as a group of guys who are busting into a corporation to steal some new tech that allows mind transferal from one person to another when they die, they decide to install the tech and then get murdered by some third group. they come to in their new bodies with some of their skills and memories intact (i'm thinkin theres a system where whenever you get killed and put into a new body you cn only choose a limited number of skills to bring over and those are things like moves you sparked or useful field skills or also like, memories from your original body that unlock scenes or endings) and try to figure out why they got killed. figuring its a semi open-world like romancing 2 and that combat has some variations on sparking skills with maybe some light tactical stuff like maybe star ocean or the battle network games

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fungah! posted:

i put together some design ideas for a romancing saga 2-like near future game but i'm hamstrung by bein way too lazy to learn how to code or do pixel art to make it. the ideas that you play as a group of guys who are busting into a corporation to steal some new tech that allows mind transferal from one person to another when they die, they decide to install the tech and then get murdered by some third group. they come to in their new bodies with some of their skills and memories intact (i'm thinkin theres a system where whenever you get killed and put into a new body you cn only choose a limited number of skills to bring over and those are things like moves you sparked or useful field skills or also like, memories from your original body that unlock scenes or endings) and try to figure out why they got killed. figuring its a semi open-world like romancing 2 and that combat has some variations on sparking skills with maybe some light tactical stuff like maybe star ocean or the battle network games

theres so many random coding tutorials you could probably make that half of it work pretty easily. load up godot and start throwing stuff down

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sub-Actuality posted:

I've been keeping a list of simple game concepts for a while now, and I'm building my way up to start working on something as a serious project this year. Honestly we're probably all doing this lol

ive been wanting to make a starsector mod for ages but I sit down to make sprites and just get insanely mad first lol. also i don't want to learn Java or the games scripting. what i should do is get a pocket notebook and doodle some silhouettes when I'm feeling it but I'm too lazy to do that. basically no, i do not do this.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Don't agree to work on a game with an old high school friend you haven't spoken to in 15 years.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Leadthumb posted:

Don't agree to work on a game with an old high school friend you haven't spoken to in 15 years.

Good luck trying to come up with an idea on your own, pal. That’s the real graft

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 96 days!

Fungah! posted:

i would play freejack 2

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I always thought I'd be decent at game design but it turns out I'm too interminably stupid to learn how to code. I spent years making Morrowind mods and even my simplest scripts were just copy and pasted from other, better mods. Sorry to anyone whose code I stole but it was a reasonable accommodation for my immense retardation

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I’m going to make a sequel to god hand. I will not be taking questions

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I got the tude now posted:

I’m going to make a sequel to god hand. I will not be taking questions

no need for any

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I always thought I'd be decent at game design but it turns out I'm too interminably stupid to learn how to code. I spent years making Morrowind mods and even my simplest scripts were just copy and pasted from other, better mods. Sorry to anyone whose code I stole but it was a reasonable accommodation for my immense retardation
here's the secret: most indie game devs are actually really bad at programming. they just slam their head into a pile of code copypasted from stackoverflow until it works well enough to release.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

been learning unity for a while and taught myself through making a nuclear throne clone, now working on a basic fps to teach myself about 3d environments

thankfully the wife is a 3d artist and gives me a ton of tips on making things not look ugly, the hardest part of making a game. but i have a long long way to go

ill make my dream rpg that is just dragonquest 3 by a different name someday

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

extremebuff posted:

been learning unity for a while and taught myself through making a nuclear throne clone, now working on a basic fps to teach myself about 3d environments

thankfully the wife is a 3d artist and gives me a ton of tips on making things not look ugly, the hardest part of making a game. but i have a long long way to go

ill make my dream rpg that is just dragonquest 3 by a different name someday

Brother Quest III

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

when i was a kid i used to make rpg maker "games" that were more like interactive stories because i didn't understand scripting or event triggers lol, i made one for my friend for his birthday that involved searching the map for chests with keys that would unlock a series of doors that led to a Blink 182 concert

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

tmfc posted:

when i was a kid i used to make rpg maker "games" that were more like interactive stories because i didn't understand scripting or event triggers lol, i made one for my friend for his birthday that involved searching the map for chests with keys that would unlock a series of doors that led to a Blink 182 concert

lmao awesome

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tmfc posted:

this owns

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

that's what true friendship looks like

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

tmfc posted:

incredible

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

extremebuff posted:

teach me the ways

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

tmfc posted:

Lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i found an ancient prototype i made a few years ago. its a card-based rpg that controls kind of like spacestation 13 with tick-based grid movement. also it was multiplayer

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mbt posted:

teach me the ways

oh it's easy. less detail is better, but you need to get across a lot of personality in as little information as possible (this applies to every single piece of art in the game). ALL you have to do is strike a perfect balance between something being pleasing to the eye, fitting for the engine, complimentary to the to your aesthetic, and then think about this all day for hours as you reiterated door_2 for the 14th time cause it just doesnt fit anymore ever since you redid the cave walls

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

mbt posted:

i found an ancient prototype i made a few years ago. its a card-based rpg that controls kind of like spacestation 13 with tick-based grid movement. also it was multiplayer

Card based games ftw

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mbt posted:

that looks cool

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

the only game I've ever "finished" making was this buggy Newgrounds-y HTML5 + JS game that I put together as part of a class, it was my first Javascript project too. Incredibly simple "find and click the objects" type of thing that only really works on desktops. the music is obviously unauthorized and only works like half the time too lol

https://impzone.club/spy/

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sub-Actuality posted:

the only game I've ever "finished" making was this buggy Newgrounds-y HTML5 + JS game that I put together as part of a class, it was my first Javascript project too. Incredibly simple "find and click the objects" type of thing that only really works on desktops. the music is obviously unauthorized and only works like half the time too lol

this loving rules

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

this is super fun lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

battle animation tests

walking animations

some enemies

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

All these projects look dope

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007