Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I've seen Jiang Shi / hopping vampires name-dropped as a minor rebel faction in Cathay in my Vilitch game, so that could be an interesting addition for the Cathay vs VC. I could really go for another monstrous faction-but-not-the-faction (like how Drycha is for wood elves), maybe for Ogre Kingdoms since they have such limited options and pretty similar base unit flavor? Looking at a wiki I see the, dear god, "Yhetee" are "a race of large, bipedal ice-beast that inhabits the sub-zero peaks of the Eastern Lands, a distant cousin to the Ogres of today. " and are associated with the Dark Lands, which might be a great opportunity to flesh that out alongside the Chaos Dwarves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Do Korhil with a horde or roaming style mechanic and stick him out between Cathay and the Empire on a quest to beat up a demon or something.

I'd like them to come up with a roaming hero type mechanic for a character tbh. Something like you are a horde or limited settlement faction that focuses on single entities heavily and gets points from fighting the enemies of your friends. So kind of like vassal money, but you get paid for being friendly. Maybe dogs of war will have something like this?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Third World Reagan posted:

my dream DLC is cao cao from 3k

But Kairos is already in the game? :thunk:

On the DLC front: I'm sure we'll get the normal assortment of Cathay/Kislev lords and such. I hope Kislev DLC LLs (and Boris) get some changes, though. The Court/Orthodoxy race just doesn't make sense for Boris, and having tech locked behind holding the three cities REALLY negatively impacts both Boris and any future Kislev LLs.

Probably just need to remove Boris from all of that entirely, rework the tech tree for his faction (and any future factions), and you're good.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Third World Reagan posted:

my dream DLC is cao cao from 3k

Make him a Minotaur and pronounce it "Cow Cow" like early Dynasty Warriors dubs

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I've seen Jiang Shi / hopping vampires name-dropped as a minor rebel faction in Cathay in my Vilitch game, so that could be an interesting addition for the Cathay vs VC. I could really go for another monstrous faction-but-not-the-faction (like how Drycha is for wood elves), maybe for Ogre Kingdoms since they have such limited options and pretty similar base unit flavor? Looking at a wiki I see the, dear god, "Yhetee" are "a race of large, bipedal ice-beast that inhabits the sub-zero peaks of the Eastern Lands, a distant cousin to the Ogres of today. " and are associated with the Dark Lands, which might be a great opportunity to flesh that out alongside the Chaos Dwarves.

Bruisers, Yhetees and Thundertusks are the most notable omissions from the Ogre roster so they're bound to be added at some point as part of a lord pack or whatever their equivalent in WH3 is. They aren't really a separate thing from the Ogre military - they're instead ogres who never abandoned the ruins of the Sky Giants they murdered and that exposed them to a lot of Chaos corruption, eventually devolving into a more feral form. They descend from the mountain, join ogre warbands and reap their payment in meat.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jiang Shi seem like they could have some neat Cathay themed undead

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dramicus posted:

I think whenever I play Teclis or Imrik, I'm always going to send my 2nd army out to Cathay, either via sealane or via the Grand Canal and take a few provinces there. Reason being the local Cathay lords (both majors and minors) seem to be really glad to see High Elves and are almost immediately willing to ally up against all the local threats to them. Then I start loading all my armies with Cathay cannons or rockets. It's real fun.

Just a heads up, Imrik is quite buggy for now. His mission that gives you the dilemma to confederate Caledor doesn't actually fire the dilemma. And he doesn't get his special traits for defeating the legendary dragons, although you can give those traits to him with the mod manager, proving that the traits are in the game, so not getting them is most likely a bug.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Is it a feature of vilitch to gently caress with your units? I just had a battle against him and my artillery had fire at will turned off and during battle a jade warrior in the front line literally up and left leaving my leader core alone it was nuts. I never touched the jade warriors after deploying them i was microing my lancers and i have fire at will on by default no idea how it got turned off.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Jiang Shi seem like they could have some neat Cathay themed undead

No hopping vampires but you might want to look at this mod if you haven't.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2798625567&searchtext=

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Assuming we get Chorfs before a Cathay or Kislev DLC, it'll be fascinating to see what kind of format they've got planned for DLC. There are very few or no units left for most factions, even taking supplementary material into account, and a metric ton of lords and heroes.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

What do we think DLCs are going to look like post chaos dwarves?

I'm personally hoping for some kind of 'lord packs are one wh1 race vs 1 wh3 race' to start. I think most of the wh2 races are in good places (maybe counts and tomb kings could use dlcs)

Give me a norsca vs kislev dlc focused on ice supremacy, and making norsca less bad,

Also a cathay vs vampires dlc, because I think there was a lore vampire seductress type up in the east, and it'd be a fun and weird matchup.

I'm pretty much done with demons though. I'd be fine if we don't get another Chaos (non norsca/dwarves) dlc for a couple years.

That'd be Neferata, queen of the Lahmians, whose headquarters is the Silver Pinnacle. This is already on the map, as it's on the southeastern side of the World's Edge Mountains (the mountain range where Thorgrim and Ungrim start) and still far, FAR away from Cathay. While they could theoretically do that matchup specifically, the vampires actually in Cathay are a completely different bloodline of which very little lore exists. What little does exist basically conflates them a bit with the eunuch officials in the Chinese court. So while CA could do something with the concept, it'd basically be made up out of whole cloth.

Coast is an issue because it's already the faction basically custom-built by CA, and the thin lore that they drew from is entirely mined - Noctilus was from a naval board game, Luthor Harkon was basically just a lore character, Cylostra is completely a CA invention, and Aranessa is from the same place as Noctilus... but as one of his human opponents trying to end his scheme. So any content additions would also be completely original, and most people would generally have missing units/characters/whatever that already exist over that. One thing they could do would be to merge a DLC about the various minor states (and/or Dogs of War) near Sartosa with a radical change to Aranessa's faction (make it far more living-centered) and maybe sneak one or two original Coast units in with that.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

What do we think DLCs are going to look like post chaos dwarves?

I'm personally hoping for some kind of 'lord packs are one wh1 race vs 1 wh3 race' to start. I think most of the wh2 races are in good places (maybe counts and tomb kings could use dlcs)

Give me a norsca vs kislev dlc focused on ice supremacy, and making norsca less bad,

Also a cathay vs vampires dlc, because I think there was a lore vampire seductress type up in the east, and it'd be a fun and weird matchup.

I'm pretty much done with demons though. I'd be fine if we don't get another Chaos (non norsca/dwarves) dlc for a couple years.

I imagine we're going to get a couple [chaos demon] vs Kislev/Cathay/Ogres before they start tapping into wh1/2 races.

Purely based on loading screen quotes I'd say the first one is The Changeling (Tzeentch) vs either the monkey king or that sea dragon lady for cathay. After that probably some kislev lord vs some demon.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I mean they've got all of Khuresh and Ind's landmass in Immortal Empires already, so that's an avenue for expansion. Plus you could probably fit Araby in the Great Desert if you added more settlements (although that would be kind of weird for it to be an IE-only faction - maybe they'll do another campaign map for the Sea Dragon trying to do another colonial expedition).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Chaos Daemon DLC will be weird because you have one LL / LH for each Chaos God and then that's it in terms of content. All daemons are currently in the game, even the Forgeworld ones. Warriors of Chaos is missing just a handful units, most prominently the Chaos Ogres and the warbeasts like the Slaughterbrute, the Chimera and the Vortex Beast. Aside from that and the missing marked lords and heroes (Exalted Hero of Slaneesh, Tzeentch non-Sorcerer Lord, etc.) that's pretty much it for Chaos (both Warriors and Daemons) unless you get into Storm of Chaos / Tamurkhan stuff like the Toad Dragon or the Flayer Kin.

A few races are only missing lord/hero choices and named characters (at least in terms of 8th ed army lists), namely Tomb Kings, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Bretonnia, Dwarfs, Skaven, Vampire Counts and Wood Elves. That said, Beastmen are still missing their marked units and there's some lore stuff that they could tap: Thunderbarge and shotgun infantry for Dwarfs, Skink cavalry for Lizardmen, the Coven Throne as a separate war engine for Vampire Counts, etc.

An even smaller subset of races are missing specific units along with the usual lord/hero/named characters: the Empire (Celestial Hurricanum), Greenskins (Mangler Squigs, the Spear Chukka ballista and I'd personally like to see Boyz with stikkas) and the High Elves (Lothern Skycutter). Many of these missing characters and units also line up perfectly with old army lists a-la Clan Eshin: Middenheim and the Cult of Ulric, Empire Knightly Orders, the Lahmians, the Ulthuan Dragonfleet, Nuln, etc.

Finally, Cathay and Kislev are basically brand new so it's impossible to speculate aside from lore snippets (Guardian Dog statues, Crow-men, Ungol units, etc.) Kinda similar to what happens with VCoast and Norsca, who just get a ton of random stuff from a bunch of supplements and/or older editions.

There are a few characters which are basically guaranteed to appear in some way - Neferata, Thanquol, Nagash. Others are very likely but not as practically guaranteed - like Kurt Helborg, Tamurkhan, Elspeth, Golgfag and either of the named famous engineer dwarfs. Then there's a long list of runner-ups that could easily make it in if they ever go back to races that already got a ton of content or are basically feature complete, like Tetto'eko or Gorfang Rotgut.

I'd honestly say the non-WH3 faction that could easily stand to get at least two more DLCs is the Empire, there's so much stuff still to add. Given the fact that CA DLC normally operates on a 6-month cycle, I imagine not everyone will get new content, especially if they plan on introducing new races packs post-Chorf.

Azran fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 29, 2022

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Completely random aside, but it's kinda wild to think that this is the first time in like forever that CA is only supporting a single game. During WH2's lifespan we had Troy, Thrones of Britannia, Rome 2 and Three Kingdoms.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I think what kills settlement battles for me is that the AI breaks. If it's outgunned the AI will normally rush you. If it's outgunned in a minor settlement it hangs back while you advance, shooting down each unit of theirs in turn.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
How does Belakor's turn a human lord he beats or does an agent action against into a demon thing work?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Azran posted:

I'd honestly say the non-WH3 faction that could easily stand to get at least two more DLCs is the Empire, there's so much stuff still to add. Given the fact that CA DLC normally operates on a 6-month cycle, I imagine not everyone will get new content, especially if they plan on introducing new races packs post-Chorf.

As far as I understand there are two separate parallel teams working on DLC content now for the first time, and they have said is the goal is to make the cycle faster. Chaos dwarfs are supposed to come before the end of the year.

EDIT: It must be rough developping for this game, less than a week ago they released Immortal Empires, blood DLC (and to be fair, both were overdue) an expansion with 4 paid and one free legendary lords which also completely revamps an existing race, and already everyone is speculating about the next DLC :)

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 29, 2022

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean they've got all of Khuresh and Ind's landmass in Immortal Empires already, so that's an avenue for expansion. Plus you could probably fit Araby in the Great Desert if you added more settlements (although that would be kind of weird for it to be an IE-only faction - maybe they'll do another campaign map for the Sea Dragon trying to do another colonial expedition).

The devs have repeatedly and in the strongest possible terms told us Ind and Khuresh aren’t happening. Please don’t get your hopes up or those of other people.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Chorfs are a special milestone for me because it's basically the fulfillment of the trilogy's original promise in my eyes. Add whatever else you want after that, but having the entirety of the 8th ed roster (and more!) playable is basically the whole package for me, in the same way Skaven or Chaos fans love the idea of being able to play as all of the Great Clans or having fully monogod armies respectively. That's why my level of hype for the Chaos Dwarfs is off the charts in my case.

Edit: Another thing to consider is that whatever DLC they add has to fit the WH3 RoC map, I doubt they'll make IE-only DLC any time soon.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
"Wow, there's really no units or factions left to add at this point. I hope they'll have enough material for future DLC, something that can fit on the RoC map..."

Monkey's Paw Curls

"In an effort to prevent the end times from destroying this world, Sigmar reaches into another, drawing forth his most steadfast servants. The souls of these superhuman, nigh-immortal warriors have been magically reforged by the will of Sigmar...."

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
The usual northern english/Scots accents that fantasy dwarfs get doesn't seem appropriate for chorfs. What accent would be appropriate? Bostonian? Afrikaans? Actually yeah that's it Afrikaans would be perfect

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Funky See Funky Do posted:

How does Belakor's turn a human lord he beats or does an agent action against into a demon thing work?

Essentially in the same way that the Mark of Slaanesh mechanic works: you either kick their butt in a battle (that they survive), OR you use an agent on their army. Then they need to survive for 10 turns. Also note that the agent method doesn't appear to be 100% foolproof, although it may be affected by the skill that increases agent success rate and reduces cost? I'm not sure.

Also there is, or at least there SHOULD be, an indicator that the target has been marked, but it appears to be buggy as poo poo. It looks like the mark of chaos, and it sometimes appears above the target's head (along with the amount of turns left before they convert), but it was almost never showing for me. However, tagging them and then targeting them for another agent action will show if they're marked or not on the "perform action" button (assault unit, stop army, etc.) when you send them at the army.

That said, DO NOT double up on marked units. Not only does this reset the timer, it ADDS TURNS TO THE TIMER. So if you have a lord marked who is about to turn, and you hit them with another agent or whatever... the 10 turns gets added to whatever is left. I know because I accidentally marked the same lord twice in one turn... and the duration of the buff was 19 on the next turn. :smith:

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
I can't wait for Chaos Dwarves to come out and enjoy the same popularity they enjoyed in the wargame. Which is to say, never played by anyone ever and mocked by everyone who accidentally looks at them. I mean, canonically the best part of a Chaos Dwarf army is the fact that there are hardly any chaos dwarves in it.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are crisis armies supposed to spawn before getting the crisis event?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 29, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Sinatrapod posted:

I can't wait for Chaos Dwarves to come out and enjoy the same popularity they enjoyed in the wargame. Which is to say, never played by anyone ever and mocked by everyone who accidentally looks at them. I mean, canonically the best part of a Chaos Dwarf army is the fact that there are hardly any chaos dwarves in it.

Mustta had a different meta where you played, chorfs usually got my friend a pat on the back for being able to find the models in the first place. People seemed to like them.

edit: So I'm not just swinging by with a shitpost, are there any plans for an everything-edition, ever? WH1&2 are on sale and can be bundled, but there's still about $150 of separate "discounted" DLC left for me to acquire, that's nuts.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 29, 2022

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Tolth posted:

"Wow, there's really no units or factions left to add at this point. I hope they'll have enough material for future DLC, something that can fit on the RoC map..."

Monkey's Paw Curls

"In an effort to prevent the end times from destroying this world, Sigmar reaches into another, drawing forth his most steadfast servants. The souls of these superhuman, nigh-immortal warriors have been magically reforged by the will of Sigmar...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-MzNpMD1K8

Summon the ground marines.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

Serephina posted:

Mustta had a different meta where you played, chorfs usually got my friend a pat on the back for being able to find the models in the first place. People seemed to like them.

Nah, you're right there honestly. They were weird enough and rare enough that seeing them actually hit the board was an exciting novelty. In the spirit of full disclosure, I actually think the chaos dwarf lore and style is pretty cool... it's just their hats, man.

I hate their hats so much.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
ban this sick filth

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

Sinatrapod posted:

Sir, this is Total war, Warhat 3 thread. Please issue a correction immediately, sir

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

Sinatrapod posted:

Nah, you're right there honestly. They were weird enough and rare enough that seeing them actually hit the board was an exciting novelty. In the spirit of full disclosure, I actually think the chaos dwarf lore and style is pretty cool... it's just their hats, man.

Pitiable wretch!

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

The usual northern english/Scots accents that fantasy dwarfs get doesn't seem appropriate for chorfs.

Geordie or Glaswegian could maybe work for an evil faction.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Warhammer needs an Australia based faction if they don't have one already. With kangaroos and other marsupial based units.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Tolth posted:

Monkey's Paw Curls

You could cook up some pretty fun mechanics for them tbh.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Big hats, resource extraction, slavery?

Gotta be a Texan accent.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
This might sound weird, but can I use everyone's posts as reference for posting strategies on the wiki? With the overwhelming learning curve this game has, they might make a world of difference for people who don't treat Altdorf like their second home.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Sinatrapod posted:

Mods???

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

Francis posted:

Big hats, resource extraction, slavery?

Gotta be a Texan accent.

"Scots become oppressive weirdos" would also suggest a Northern Irish accent

EdIT: Astragoth being voiced by Matthew McConaughy would be loving rad

Cheatum the Evil Midget fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 29, 2022

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Sinatrapod posted:

Please have less awful opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Decided to do my first campaign on Hard/Hard as Eltharion, because I' m boring and archers rule. Starting with two half armies and two theatres (the donut and the loving Badlands) is new, and it's slowing me a lot. You don't have the cash flow to maintain two full stacks, and I'm not good enough to go conquering with two half stacks of spearmen and basic archers. I could go full Badlands and "sell" Yvresse por 25k but that's boring.

I'm guessing I'll go south punching Savage orcs until I met Repanse/Settra and try to make friends? At least Grimgor is a continent away. The Donut has an orc minor with a single province, so I guess a small army and ambushes can take care of that.