Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Usually I'm somewhat in tune with the transphobe mindset, but this one is weird. I think it's a combination of "trans people don't exist in japan" double bigotry and fetishization of femboys. But what I don't understand is that these same kinds of people have also demonstrated that they're perfectly capable of fetishizing trans women, usually in the exact same way they do femboys. Why should this get in the way of their being horny for a cartoon teenager?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Oh man, the pre-2008 oil boom set up such a disaster in Alberta when the crash hit. I knew so many people that pretty much set themselves up for financial ruin by spending all their oil rig money as soon as they got it, thinking they'd have that income for life. Then 2008 happened, there were a poo poo ton of layoffs, and they lost everything because they couldn't keep up their multiple payments.

I worked in a jewelry store at the time. 2007 we were selling poo poo tons of $1000 watches and gold chains, and the next year these same guys were trying to sell the poo poo back. Couldn't take the watches because they were gold plated stainless steel, scuffed to poo poo and not able to be resold, and the chains would only be bought for the market value of the gold. Which was nowhere close to the retail price, especially because the price of gold plummeted too. I'd say it was almost heartbreaking if they didn't loving swear and scream at me over it. None of this mess was my personal decision.

Did rolling coal ever catch on in Alberta?

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

Usually I'm somewhat in tune with the transphobe mindset, but this one is weird. I think it's a combination of "trans people don't exist in japan" double bigotry and fetishization of femboys. But what I don't understand is that these same kinds of people have also demonstrated that they're perfectly capable of fetishizing trans women, usually in the exact same way they do femboys. Why should this get in the way of their being horny for a cartoon teenager?

Gamers are poo poo human beings? Who would have thought?!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
reminds me of military goons talking about the lovely car sales peeps close to bases.

lol if only we taught basic money 101 skills to people.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Christ it’s a video game. WHO THE gently caress CARES?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr. Stab posted:

Because they don't actually 'care', it's culture war bullshit, OP

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PhazonLink posted:

reminds me of military goons talking about the lovely car sales peeps close to bases.

lol if only we taught basic money 101 skills to people.

I mean, you might get sent to war (or even more dangerous, Fort Bragg) and die. So I can understand not thinking too much about long term savings

Although actually working on an oil field might be more dangerous than the military (unless of course, you're stationed at Ft Bragg).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

My husband's workplace pays big bucks, and all of his coworkers are constantly complaining that they're broke because they spend all their income on car and mortgage payments. They all drive $80,000 trucks and have massive mcmansions, huge camping trailers, boats, quads, all financed. 100 grand a year and they're whining that they're poor because they need the biggest flashiest everything.

A bunch of them are currently at risk for getting fired too, and stand to lose everything, but that's a discussion for a different thread.
Please point me at such a thread.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
The town around Ft Bragg is possibly one of the most depressing places Ive literally ever set foot in, gently caress that hole.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DreadUnknown posted:

The town around Ft Bragg is possibly one of the most depressing places Ive literally ever set foot in, gently caress that hole.

Also murder is basically legal there if you're enlisted.
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/fort-bragg-murders-1153405/amp/

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Dr. Stab posted:

A lot of western nerds, especially those of a right-wing bent, seek out or are presented with a version of japan that would be a right-winger's paradise. It's a mix of mystic orient, otaku wish fulfillment, right wing japanese propaganda, 2chanian horseshit, and good, old-fashioned denial of reality. They believe-slash-want-to-believe-slash-have-been-lead-to-believe that in Japan, the problems that they perceive in "Western" culture don't exist. There's no gay guys to make them uncomfortable, no lesbians to reject them, no trans people to raise uncomfortable questions about gender roles and identity, everyone knows their place, accepts it, and lives it happily, there are no feminists and every woman is a Yamato nadeshiko perfect wife and mother who keeps the house and the children and remains forever virginal despite having sex whenever her husband wants. Thus, anything that injects feminist thought, LGBT themes, progressive politics, or anything that disrupts this idea must be westerners reading too much into it and there's gotta be a reason why it's not that way. Or, as someone much wittier than I once said:

https://twitter.com/krystalwolfy/status/1559149485653200903

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

kazz posted:

Last week I had to sign an OB contract promising I would either pay several thousand dollars up front or in monthly payments for OB care from time of signing to when the baby would be delivered.

TW: I was at the appointment to confirm that I had lost the pregnancy and get medicine to induce the miscarriage.

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry. Much love to you.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1563527471815094272

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

"Write what you know" I suppose.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol that's some Orson Welles "no this script I've been shopping around for years about a washed-up closeted old director who can't get anyone to produce his film is not autobiographical at all, SHUT UP" energy

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dr. Stab posted:

If none of that makes sense to you then count your blessings.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Did rolling coal ever catch on in Alberta?

Surprisingly little. I've seen videos of it happening here, but I haven't witnessed it myself. I think most of them think they're above that. They prefer to invest in lift kits and extended cabs. It's all about being the biggest and shiniest truck on the road here.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

dinahmoe posted:

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry. Much love to you.
I pictured this heartfelt post coming from this sympathetic marginalia creature and it was awesome.

Keep being supporting little pants boar.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

My family crest features a wild boar, so being an empathetic boar in trousers is in my nature.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I'm glad JK is still writing under a male pen name, that's just *chef's kiss*

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

1stGear posted:

An explicitly anti-gay/trans pen name, no less

stringless has a new favorite as of 04:47 on Aug 29, 2022

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

publicly choosing an identity that is another gender than the one assigned at birth, but no not like that

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

She only admitted that she was the one writing those because they were selling like dog poo poo when people thought they were written by just some dude.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Data Graham posted:

Lol that's some Orson Welles "no this script I've been shopping around for years about a washed-up closeted old director who can't get anyone to produce his film is not autobiographical at all, SHUT UP" energy

Please, not even Orson Welles deserves to be lumped in with Rowling. He was at least amusingly bitchy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

kirbysuperstar posted:

context: in older guilty gear games bridget was a boy raised as a girl and basically an extended lovely joke, in strive bridget has a long chat with the US secretary of defense who has a UMA in a coffin with him at all times and comes to the realisation that she is indeed a girl and trans. hence, gamers
What's a UMA?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

I mean I have been at a point where a dinner was rice and canned tuna with buffalo sauce but I didn't brag about it

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Tiggum posted:

What's a UMA?

Ironically enough, it's a cryptid, but in Japan :v:

(can be an alien also)

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Neito posted:

A lot of western nerds, especially those of a right-wing bent, seek out or are presented with a version of japan that would be a right-winger's paradise. It's a mix of mystic orient, otaku wish fulfillment, right wing japanese propaganda, 2chanian horseshit, and good, old-fashioned denial of reality. They believe-slash-want-to-believe-slash-have-been-lead-to-believe that in Japan, the problems that they perceive in "Western" culture don't exist. There's no gay guys to make them uncomfortable, no lesbians to reject them, no trans people to raise uncomfortable questions about gender roles and identity, everyone knows their place, accepts it, and lives it happily, there are no feminists and every woman is a Yamato nadeshiko perfect wife and mother who keeps the house and the children and remains forever virginal despite having sex whenever her husband wants. Thus, anything that injects feminist thought, LGBT themes, progressive politics, or anything that disrupts this idea must be westerners reading too much into it and there's gotta be a reason why it's not that way. Or, as someone much wittier than I once said:

https://twitter.com/krystalwolfy/status/1559149485653200903

Really like to see their reaction when they realize Shinjuku-san-chome is gay as gently caress and not even the Christmas cakes want to gently caress them

No disparagement to Christmas cakes, but even they're getting a little young for me

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

1stGear posted:

"God, why are you all so obsessed with me? Can't you just get a life and move on!"
-JK Rowling, a self-unaware idiot

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tiggum posted:

What's a UMA?

Nothing, what's UMA with you?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I've seen some criticism regarding Bridget from Guilty Gear being trans that it's kinda sucky because she was basically forced by her parents to be a girl.
I don't really know enough about Guilty Gear though, but that seems like a valid criticism? Of course the people posted here weren't talking about that at all.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

That's definitely some baggage from her original storyline, but also she hasn't been beholden to her parents or her village for years, especially having become a renowned bounty hunter and breaking the "curse" of her village which caused her parents to raise her as a girl.

There's no external pressures on her to be a girl anymore, but she realized she still wasn't satisfied which leads to a number of conversations about finding andb being true to yourself, ending with her declaring she is a girl.

Garrand has a new favorite as of 08:27 on Aug 29, 2022

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Tiggum posted:

What's a UMA?

UMA balls.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

organburner posted:

I've seen some criticism regarding Bridget from Guilty Gear being trans that it's kinda sucky because she was basically forced by her parents to be a girl.
I don't really know enough about Guilty Gear though, but that seems like a valid criticism? Of course the people posted here weren't talking about that at all.

the original storyline sucks and is being used by the usual type of people to claim anyone who says Bridget is trans is a pro-groomer. if anyone uses that argument here i'll ban you.

but basically what Garrand says:

Garrand posted:

That's definitely some baggage from her original storyline, but also she hasn't been beholden to her parents or her village for years, especially having become a renowned bounty hunter and breaking the "curse" of her village which caused her parents to raise her as a girl.

There's no external pressures on her to be a girl anymore, but she realized she still wasn't satisfied which leads to a number of conversations about finding andb being true to yourself, ending with her declaring she is a girl.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uma_(genus)

Bonus joke from some herpetologists with a sense of humor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohawk_Dunes_fringe-toed_lizard

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bridget is the AFAB transfem at last

I think the conversation mighta been along the lines 'You kept doing this even though you had no reason to and seemed entirely happy with it, there's probably a reason why'

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
tl;dr: 21st century man seems to believe in the 17th century concept of preformationism, baffling all

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tiggum posted:

What's a UMA?

Ok serious answer, it stands for Unidentified Mysterious Animal. A cryptid.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Dabir posted:

Ok serious answer, it stands for Unidentified Mysterious Animal. A cryptid.

It used to stand for Unidentified Mysterious Acronym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Bridget feels like the make-good to trans people who felt attached to the character that Chihiro from Danganronpa never got.

I still think there's room for an "AMAB who still identifies as male despite not being traditionally masculine" story in anime-rear end games, but neither of those characters would've been great examples of that, even if it was the original intent of the writer.