Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Could also be an early version of Transcendence; that was around in the 90s.

Transcendence was so good. I loved that and the EV games to death but any of the newer games of that style feel like an inscrutable mess to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Transcendence is still being developed! Very slowly. It's on Steam, even!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I didn't like the linear nature of Transcendence but it was fun to play at least

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
You nailed it, but it's sadly not the game I was thinking of with a very similar art style.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FFT posted:

I didn't like the linear nature of Transcendence but it was fun to play at least

It may help if you think of it like a classic dungeoncrawler roguelike. Each system is one level deeper into the dungeon, and the ship you choose at the start of the game is your class/race.

It's definitely an atypical structure for the top-down 2D space genre.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If you buy on steam you get a second campaign you can play instead (you work for a corp). Also the base campaign has a bunch more side system to explore/skip if it's been a while since you played.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PC 2D DOS adventure, 1990-1995 range. Can't think of too many details except you're a kid breaking into a building (a museum?) for some reason and there are these mini-ED-209 robots that try to murder you.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean, that kind of sounds like midnight rescue but is just different enough that i can't imagine that's it, since it's just a children's edutainment game where the goofy cartoon robots hit you with globs of paint

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

al-azad posted:

PC 2D DOS adventure, 1990-1995 range. Can't think of too many details except you're a kid breaking into a building (a museum?) for some reason and there are these mini-ED-209 robots that try to murder you.

Museum Madness. You might misremember the robot, he's with you. Aliens are trying to do a murder, and there's a computer virus, which I think messes with your robot friend at some point?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It was me conflating Museum Madness with the 1995 re-release of Midnight Rescue thank you both lol

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Point and click horror 3D adventure game that came out within the last few years. You begin in a hospital bed, your face and body bandaged. There's blood and bodies everywhere and you escape by manipulating some construction equipment outside. The game then inexplicably cuts to a German death camp train in WW2 where a Nazi soldier is loving a corpse. I literally only remember it as "that game where every youtuber was shocked to see a random scene of Nazi necrophilia" and I couldn't even tell you if the game was complete or episodic or a demo because no one ever played it again lol. It's not The Medium, it was a pretty Eurojanky small team/one man effort.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

al-azad posted:

Point and click horror 3D adventure game that came out within the last few years. You begin in a hospital bed, your face and body bandaged. There's blood and bodies everywhere and you escape by manipulating some construction equipment outside. The game then inexplicably cuts to a German death camp train in WW2 where a Nazi soldier is loving a corpse. I literally only remember it as "that game where every youtuber was shocked to see a random scene of Nazi necrophilia" and I couldn't even tell you if the game was complete or episodic or a demo because no one ever played it again lol. It's not The Medium, it was a pretty Eurojanky small team/one man effort.

I think I found the game you described. The Dark Inside Me?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yes! Looks like it was finished but no video game influencer (rightfully) touched it with a ten foot pole.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I saw someone bring up a game very recently, possibly in one of the subforums games threads. It looked like a homeworld style RTS with ship designs that looked a bit like The Expanse ships. It was designed by an enlisted sailor or something. Looked cool but I have not been able to find it since....

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Sounds like Nebulous

https://store.steampowered.com/app/887570/NEBULOUS_Fleet_Command/

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

It's a fun game but man is it hard

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Now I'm thinking about this frog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TXFy3c_GA8

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

You're thinking of Nebulous.

I got one! :smugbert:

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Thats it thanks

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Probably relatively recent game with beautiful interlocking tileish art, where you zoom in and move things around and then zoom back out and it changes things. Storyline has to do with a guy coming back from war but is non-linear.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
gorogoa

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Thanks that's it!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There was an early 90s Fantasy PC RTS game I used to play.
The maps were a bunch of floating island and you would build bridges between the islands and IIRC the combat was primarily fought by building towers rather than units.
Anyone has any idea what I'm talking about?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

There was an early 90s Fantasy PC RTS game I used to play.
The maps were a bunch of floating island and you would build bridges between the islands and IIRC the combat was primarily fought by building towers rather than units.
Anyone has any idea what I'm talking about?

Netstorm: Islands at War.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

THE BAR posted:

Netstorm: Islands at War.

That's the one, thanks.
Also wow, it's not even on GOG.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

That's the one, thanks.

I've never heard of it myself, I just googled "PC RTS islands 90s" and it was the only result.

Sorta looks like Seven Kingdoms 2 and Project Nomads smushed together.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

in the late 2000s there was a game sort of like dota but all i remember from it is that one of the heroes was like a giant stone guy that kind of looked like if a rook from chess was a guy

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Probably Demigod, published by Stardock. Think it was Gas Powered Games that made it.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 29, 2022

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Definitely Demigod, the stone guy was even named The Rook.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

that’s the one, cheers

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Battle Chess was too long ago to have been the answer

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jack Trades posted:

That's the one, thanks.
I had a weird love/hate relationship with that game.

e: holy heck there's an active community: http://netstormhq.net/

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 29, 2022

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

AG3 posted:

Probably Demigod, published by Stardock. Think it was Gas Powered Games that made it.

I could've sworn that Christopher Lee voiced the announcer in that, but I guess not.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Trying to remember a Flash game, maybe early-mid 00s. It was some kind of interactive music video. You controlled a housefly running around some guy's apartment picking up pellets, very simple. Each scene was timed to the song, and your perspective and orientation could change from scene to scene. I think it was entirely black & white. The song didn't have lyrics.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

IMJack posted:

Trying to remember a Flash game, maybe early-mid 00s. It was some kind of interactive music video. You controlled a housefly running around some guy's apartment picking up pellets, very simple. Each scene was timed to the song, and your perspective and orientation could change from scene to scene. I think it was entirely black & white. The song didn't have lyrics.

Nyrdl Madness, maybe

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
A racing/platformer game. You are a triangular or pyramidical ship and you move, jump and launch forward while trying to figure out the best or only way to the end. Everything is very blocky 3D models, mostly grey but I am remembering bits of red, green and blue too. Black or dark background behind everything, possibly with simple stars.

reposting my other ones with some better descriptions but I'm becoming more willing to accept these are lost

1) A 2D ball rolling top down puzzle game. All I really remember is you controlled a ball in some kind of maze with puzzle elements. Tile based movement. There was a custom maze maker so you could make your own mazes to run your ball through. Windows 95 interface. Graphics were much finer and cleaner and boring grey than https://www.mobygames.com/game/helious, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollin_%28video_game%29, or https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/oxyd-2/screenshots which had been suggested before.

2) Some kind of 2D top down exploration game. You played as Igor in Dr. Frankensteins castle I think? I only vaguely recall that being written in a pop-up before you could start playing. I don't even remember what you did other than move around. There might have been enemies?

3) This one is weird: an MSPaint-style-art adventure game. You started outside a castle and could get water from the moat, then multiple other rooms of puzzles, then you reach a black room with a dragon attacking you and you have to time moving across a platform to his fire breathe. I got to the room after that and it was a 5x5 grid of buttons that you had to push the correct passcode into.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

life_source posted:

A racing/platformer game. You are a triangular or pyramidical ship and you move, jump and launch forward while trying to figure out the best or only way to the end. Everything is very blocky 3D models, mostly grey but I am remembering bits of red, green and blue too. Black or dark background behind everything, possibly with simple stars.

Skyroads?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

This is almost exactly my memory other than I don't remember the ship or UI having that much detail. Thank you!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

life_source posted:

This is almost exactly my memory other than I don't remember the ship or UI having that much detail. Thank you!
You're actually remembering the predecessor, which, uh, is also named Skyroads on the title screen but then also called Kosmonaut in game, which is the title it can be generally found under:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xAhC-tU8EI

EDIT: Both Kosmonaut and Skyroads can be downloaded from the dev's website. And from looking this up today I have learned that the same Estonian dev also made Kazaa and Skype. Huh!

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
By the way I figured out the game I had been talking about. It's called Prismata. The artstyle isn't quite the same as I remembered, so it's fine that nobody recognized it.