Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Sean posted:

I'm on my 3rd playthrough now and decided to mess with the display settings. I'm going off of the top of my head at this point but I disabled the dark edges and brightened the graphics in game and am really enjoying it. I suggest at least trying it on a non-first playthrough.

Edit: It still amazes me that nobody in game talks about quietus at all... has there ever been an explanation for it?

The reason it's called a 'quietus' is cause everyone stays quiet about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Jens let me cheese some of these maps so much I bring him to every fight even when there are no ledges to drop dudes from

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Only on chapter ten (I didn't bring my switch on holiday just my 3DS), but I just owned that "Don't let anyone escape" mock mission oh so nicely. Lost Hossabara in the woods on the left but Archibald came in clutch with a surprise dodge and Narve is just a wonderboy. I know I shouldn't do missions with like 4 mages and only 1 Julian, since I don't know who to spread TP to, but Narve is never a wrong choice. Also, messed around with Lionel a bit and he's nasty. Making him unreachable and giving fury on someone makes them useless while they break trying to get to him.

I checked out the voices again (in English) and I do not regret not putting them on. Maybe I'll do one playthrough with, but it's not likely.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Only on chapter ten (I didn't bring my switch on holiday just my 3DS), but I just owned that "Don't let anyone escape" mock mission oh so nicely. Lost Hossabara in the woods on the left but Archibald came in clutch with a surprise dodge and Narve is just a wonderboy. I know I shouldn't do missions with like 4 mages and only 1 Julian, since I don't know who to spread TP to, but Narve is never a wrong choice. Also, messed around with Lionel a bit and he's nasty. Making him unreachable and giving fury on someone makes them useless while they break trying to get to him.

I checked out the voices again (in English) and I do not regret not putting them on. Maybe I'll do one playthrough with, but it's not likely.

Absolutely turn on voices for The Big Scene (you’ll know when it’s about to occur).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hm ok. The chat log has been useful to go back and listen to things after seeing it at first.

I know it's been said but the cast diversity is excellent and I love that they kept it to unique units (like my favorite FE or well unique enough).

If you know where to use them niche characters like Jens and Piccoletta really shine. Archibald's funny though. He's clearly got a niche, it's just it's a very useful one in almost any map. I find Hughette to be better thanks to her mobility and status attacks, while he just wrecks.

The etymologist in me keeps laughing at the instructions of "Decimate the opposing forces". So like I kill one out of the ten facing me? I really appreciate the writing. The morally reprehensible actions are framed really well, it's not just evil for the sake of evil is what I mean, and prove just how awful people can be when they're self-serving.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
archibald's niche is killing things, getting him into position is other people's problem

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's rather incredible.

I think the only one I haven't found much use for yet is Roland. Last map I brought him along. He was lvl 15 in a lvl 18 map and I thought he could use the experience. After getting bogged down in a choke point, I made poor use of his lance range and just took a couple turns to bring him sweeping in from the side, where he made some nice damage, avoided being killed, and then led some reinforcements on a chase, in which he'd never get caught. Running around in a circle he met up with Geela who healed him and I had him charge back into the fray, this time with support from the archers and Erador, who came in from the flanks, to wipe out the reinforcements that had followed him.

It was time consuming but pretty fun, but I needed wide open spaces to get it done.

All the time the core of both armies were bogged down in that chokepoint with Julian and Serenoa exchanging heavy blows with a boss, while being healed by the medics.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Looper posted:

archibald's niche is killing things, getting him into position is other people's problem

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The etymologist in me keeps laughing at the instructions of "Decimate the opposing forces". So like I kill one out of the ten facing me? I really appreciate the writing. The morally reprehensible actions are framed really well, it's not just evil for the sake of evil is what I mean, and prove just how awful people can be when they're self-serving.

:same:

It's not incredibly annoying but I can't help but think about it every time I read it.

For those not in the know:

quote:

Decimation (Latin: decimatio; decem = "ten") was a form of Roman military discipline in which every tenth man in a group was executed by members of his cohort. The discipline was used by senior commanders in the Roman army to punish units or large groups guilty of capital offences, such as cowardice, mutiny, desertion, and insubordination, and for pacification of rebellious legions. The word decimation is derived from Latin meaning "removal of a tenth". The procedure was an attempt to balance the need to punish serious offences with the realities of managing a large group of offenders.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Obviously that's not what it means today, but yeah.

I'm still super pumped after having sunk a battleship in chapter 13. I don't know what that means for me regarding Convictions or whatever, but I do know I'm in this for the long-haul. Milo is pretty incredible with her movement, but my goodness put on some drat clothing! Like I was relatively indifferent ok with Lyla but this is ridiculous especially when most other women in the game are actually pretty modest considering the genre.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Obviously that's not what it means today, but yeah.

It is what it means today. Even if someone wants to be loose with it, it's still to take/destroy a percentage of, not all. These missions require all enemies to be destroyed.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm still super pumped after having sunk a battleship in chapter 13. I don't know what that means for me regarding Convictions or whatever, but I do know I'm in this for the long-haul. Milo is pretty incredible with her movement, but my goodness put on some drat clothing! Like I was relatively indifferent ok with Lyla but this is ridiculous especially when most other women in the game are actually pretty modest considering the genre.

I didn't get to do that on my first playthrough. The group made me flood the city.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 18, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh god. I first pushed them in other ways and we took Frederica's path, but I really thought Roland's idea was sound strategy. Didn't care much for my allies opinions of what happened next though.

This game is a dangerous time-sink. It's the first time in a while, where I'll play and realize a few hours have passed without noticing. Having an OLED now doesn't help either, because before my battery would just die at the 2.5 hour mark and here it just keeps going.

I'm also grinding a bit too much cash for weapon upgrade materials. I know I shouldn't nor do I actually have to but I can't help it, and it's not unpleasant to do so. The lvl 10 mock battle seems to be the one to go for, with Fred, a pinkie ring, and Lionel. There's a later map that offers 4000 gold as a reward but that seems to take longer to do.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That's a mark of quality though, grinding or not, the game boils down to strategy. If you don't know what you're doing you'll get your face kicked in.

Just finished the map in the Rosellan Village versus Trish, just before recruiting her. I initially took Archi, Ezana, Flanagan, and Corentin thinking I would use Tempest to make bows hit less, and take advantage of the firsts weather bonus, and have Corentin play a weaker blaster, and they were all dead weight. I figured I'd take one of the towers, but ended up going through the central valley like an idiot, got bogged down and lit on fire, all the while the villain's zipping around the whole place like a squirrel. People were getting Furied and Poisoned left and right and while Serenoa, Anna, Medina, and Archi (who got up the tower eventually) put up a good last stand, I lost pretty miserably. Archi was too slow getting into position, and while he can hit hard, Hughette's ability to blind other archer's is too good. Tempest does not decrease the accuracy of bows like I thought it would, or maybe Ezana was too low-leveled? Anyway that didn't work at all. Flanagan's so slow that he just got mobbed by all the faster enemies and Corentin's not a blaster, even though I wish he were or despite the upgrades you give him.

I swap in Hughette, Hossabara, Erador, and Frederica. Now I have a ranged unit with some mobility and who can disable the enemy in ways that matter. Erador is a faster tank than Flan and has ever useful shove. Freddie's an actual blaster and Hossabara is just some excellent utility in a pinch. She can heal if you need some, she can push, and she hits harder than you'd think, all on top of a horse!

I made my life easier by running up the building this time instead of the alley, it was narrower and took longer, but it allowed for choke points (Jens, Erador, and using the oil the enemies spread against them with Freddie worked perfectly), and I was never bogged down.

Anyway, the game actually makes you think. You can't run in thinking to overpower enemies. It's brilliant.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It consumed my life for a long while. great game.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just started and am enjoying this a lot more than I did the first demo, which put me off trying it for a good long while.

Anyone know why sometimes, pressing B while looking at my possible movements just flat out ends my turn, but sometimes it doesn't? It's really annoying and I've lost more than one turn this way.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Beat it last night going along with Frederica's proposal, though Benedict made a pretty sound case for his position, but I didn't trust him. Turns out I was right!

It's a brilliant strategy game and I want to dive right back into it. I know it requires 4 playthroughs so I'm going to keep the golden route for last. I'm hoping that getting Trish doesn't mean I have to do the same path again for Best Ending.

I had a blast with that final decision, the end was poignant, and I really really enjoy the level design in the game. The maps are excellent.

I wish Jens turret was like the decoy and could last a few rounds (how long does Decoy actually last, until it dies or after X turns?) but it's still super fun to pop up.

Hughette was arguably the MVP (when it's not Medina), since mobility, height range, and blindness are so powerful. And Hossabara remains a nice little clutch wild card. She's super strong and her powers while nice aren't amazing, so I gave her the item that stops TP generation but boosts attacks, since she can still generate with enough movement, and you want her to have TP just to boost offense. She's been pleasantly useful as a good meatshield.

Anyway, I'm going to start it back up and I want to unlock Lionel's secret item, and get the last characters I need to unlock. I presume it unlocks no matter the difficulty?

Argue posted:

Just started and am enjoying this a lot more than I did the first demo, which put me off trying it for a good long while.

Anyone know why sometimes, pressing B while looking at my possible movements just flat out ends my turn, but sometimes it doesn't? It's really annoying and I've lost more than one turn this way.

It's because you're cancelling taking an action/moving and so it takes you straight to what position you want to stand. Watch for when the four arrows surround you and just hit 'B' again to be back in movement/action. It happened to me a couple of times till I realized I could cancel back out to choosing my action.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's a brilliant strategy game and I want to dive right back into it. I know it requires 4 playthroughs so I'm going to keep the golden route for last. I'm hoping that getting Trish doesn't mean I have to do the same path again for Best Ending.

You could always do the golden route on the 2nd playthrough and just do the other characters' endings on a ch. 17 save if you have enough convictions for them and want to see them. Also Trish's mission is not on the golden route.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Item Getter posted:

You could always do the golden route on the 2nd playthrough and just do the other characters' endings on a ch. 17 save if you have enough convictions for them and want to see them. Also Trish's mission is not on the golden route.

That's good news. And I genuinely want to have a full roster, so that I can dive into Mental Mock Missions when I want some tactics with everyone at the go.

I've been playing on normal, and I like that as a difficulty for now, I think I'll move it up to hard after getting Lionel's item on this run, I'm going to aim for Ben's this time, then Roland, and end with the Golden Route, while trying to get as many of the other paths as I can done. I looked ahead to see which character's come where and it's a pity Milo is the ch 15 Golden Route unlock because I used them a bit in my first run and they're impressive.

I've managed to get through the first mission without losing anyone, after failing once altogether and leveling Benedict on the way. I still can't see my actually Conviction score at the Sundry shop, but I figure I need to advance a bit further before doing so.

Can you skip optional cutscenes (not character side stories just chapter ones) this time around or is "watching" them still necessary for things to trigger later on?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So the mission in chapter 7 where you give up Roland is pretty rough. Understandably since it's the equivalent of the tough one in Wolffort. That one I found a pretty decent strategy though, this new one is proving tricky. Still playing on normal but trying for a no death run, which may be tricky. I'm going to take Ezana to keep the fire down and try to force a path up through the right side on the barricaded steps and with the pulley. That should get me the high ground and from there I can flip the script.

We'll see.

I think Flanagan is quickly becoming one of my least favorite characters. He's an alright mage-killer, but he's both slow and rather weak, despite being a wall. Why can't he give a solid hit?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think Flanagan is quickly becoming one of my least favorite characters. He's an alright mage-killer, but he's both slow and rather weak, despite being a wall. Why can't he give a solid hit?

I ended up really liking Flanagan, but specifically for his weapon ability, which lets him make all adjacent units take 50% damage. It basically lets you take four squishy characters and make them as tanky as Erador as long as they're standing next to Flanagan. This was invaluable in my NG+ hard mode run and enabled some pretty broken turtle strategies.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
everyone is good, probably

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Flanagan death ball is a really legit strat.

Slow as gently caress but basically impossible to kill.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Flanagan is a high mobility tank who gets a targeted taunt and a tank aura. He'd be hell of busted if he also had an appreciable damage output.

He's just okay on open maps unless you're using the death ball, but on any map with a chokepoint you can just slot him right in the middle of the enemy formation and cut them in half, which owns.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Looper posted:

everyone is good, probably

I know this is true. And my problem with Flanagan is that I'm clearly misusing him. And that's ok. I don't have the patience for Death Ball just now, but he's a good brick in a slow wall, who can do a minimum of chip damage while also infuriating the rare mage.

It's not him, it's me!

I just got the last conviction recruits (all 3). The Utility one is bonkers. I almost don't want to use him because it feels cheap, but I get that's the point. Just being to heal damage done in the last round is insane and his warp is super handy too. I wonder if I should use the damage spell more often let alone the really wild ones. The Morality one neat and I can see how you can do things with it. It's a bit tricky though, and misuse (among other things) led to my first defeat on this Wheat Map. I have yet to try the final one, but she seems interesting. I'm curious to see just how much damage she can do.

Also, count me in as someone who turned around on Piccoletta. Her Decoy is insanely useful, and giving her some items to toss doesn't hurt either.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Picoletta's decoy must have some sort of passive provoke skill because goddamn do enemies like to favor wasting their turn on her. That one shot Avlora would have done on your strategically placed mage? Nope, priority is on the tiny juggler girl whose default attack does 9 on crit

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So you can get the full cast in a minimum for 4 playthroughs, but can you do every mission?

Having gone the "Give up Roland" route, I'm surprised how different it's progressing and with a decision in there already, it shows that I'll have to re do that route again, let alone the 2 decisions from the "Keep Roland" route, of which I've only done one.

With the way things can splinter later it takes rather careful planning to be sure to do everything?

---

My plan worked. I didn't rush the top of the hill, but instead I moved rightwards. Ezana kept the flames down, the enemy advanced more slowly and Groma kept them busy on the path up the cliff, while Anna roamed the cliffs picking off stragglers and/or putting them to sleep and the others knocked some heads as they came into the area. Had a scary moment when the boss zipped down into the middle of the troops, but by this point he didn't have enough men for me to outheal his damage. Ezana came in with a clutch double paralysis, which while not necessary, sealed the battle. Trish made for a very interesting tank in this match. I had her take a fire amulet and she drew both magic and fire arrows her way, for very little damage. She could take 3-4 hits like this before she seemed to be in danger. It allowed me to drain the TP of the enemy mages in a safe way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Argue posted:

Picoletta's decoy must have some sort of passive provoke skill because goddamn do enemies like to favor wasting their turn on her. That one shot Avlora would have done on your strategically placed mage? Nope, priority is on the tiny juggler girl whose default attack does 9 on crit

I think it's just because the decoy has such low HP and defense compared to an actual character of its level. Enemies see a soft target so they go for it.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So you can get the full cast in a minimum for 4 playthroughs, but can you do every mission?

You can do every mission in four playthroughs, yeah. For example, there are branches in both the Protect Roland and Give Up Roland routes, but that equals out to four total paths through those chapters. Nothing ever branches more than four ways, basically.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
People give Giovanna a hard time but everyone has their niche, and I've learned that hers is "pair her with Corentin and freeze the world".

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Having gone the "Give up Roland" route, I'm surprised how different it's progressing and with a decision in there already, it shows that I'll have to re do that route again, let alone the 2 decisions from the "Keep Roland" route, of which I've only done one.

With the way things can splinter later it takes rather careful planning to be sure to do everything?

Every numbered chapter has up to 4 permutations and none have more, as far as I'm aware. Most of those instances come up as a two-way split within a two-way split, like the aforementioned Roland routes. These are the special cases I can think of:

The Golden Route replaces the final three-way vote; most notable because it has a couple of prerequisite decisions which are part of four-way splits. Specifically, if you want to play all chapters in four playthroughs, you need to save the yellow-red version of chapter 10 and the green version of chapter 15 for the Golden Route playthrough.

The other chapter 10, if you choose to rat out Sorsley also has two versions; to get the hidden one you need to do everything in town and ace Benedict's little questionnaire afterwards.

Frederica's choice in chapter 15 has two permutations as well, one map if you protected the Roselle in chapter 12, and one if you sold them out.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So far so good. I got the hidden one in Chap 10, didn't realize there was a second!

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 26, 2022

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The game also ultimately doesn't branch - or perhaps the better term is diverge - all that much. It always comes back together at certain key points up until the final decision. Fortunately it's well written enough that it doesn't bother me and the true ending satisfies that desire to have game long consequences to your choices.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

The game also ultimately doesn't branch - or perhaps the better term is diverge - all that much. It always comes back together at certain key points up until the final decision. Fortunately it's well written enough that it doesn't bother me and the true ending satisfies that desire to have game long consequences to your choices.

So far I’ve been enjoying seeing how things converge, though i wish I had broken Roland out of prison. Thanks Cordelia.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Giovanna is held back by like 95% of the game being pavement or stone(this also technically hurts Frederica but she hits so hard that it doesn't matter) Also her moves lack punch for how conditional they are and the straight-line range can be a nightmare with the limited positioning of terrain.

The only thing she has going for her is that the grass move is stupid-good which gives her a niche on a single map. She is admittedly extremely good on that single map. She can get use if promoted with Corentin because any battle Corentin takes part in is going to have ice fuckin everywhere by the end of it, but you could also take someone who can be useful outside of Corentin's attack range,

Also, on top of everything else, she's slow as hell.

To TS's credit, having only one stinker out of like 30 units is really good.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Yinlock posted:

Giovanna is held back by like 95% of the game being pavement or stone(this also technically hurts Frederica but she hits so hard that it doesn't matter) Also her moves lack punch for how conditional they are and the straight-line range can be a nightmare with the limited positioning of terrain.

The only thing she has going for her is that the grass move is stupid-good which gives her a niche on a single map. She is admittedly extremely good on that single map. She can get use if promoted with Corentin because any battle Corentin takes part in is going to have ice fuckin everywhere by the end of it, but you could also take someone who can be useful outside of Corentin's attack range,

Also, on top of everything else, she's slow as hell.

To TS's credit, having only one stinker out of like 30 units is really good.

Yeah I'm not seeing it. Her damage is bonkers, enough to make the conditionals worth it (lining up enemies is one thing, but icing the floor is trivial). She hits hard with her basic attack, has ridiculous movement and a 1 TP ranged move she can use practically anywhere, generates TP twice as fast unless you have her standing still for some reason, and her weapon skill wrecks.

I'm not gonna argue she's like S or A tier but she's definitely not a stinker.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

And though she takes a bit of prep, anyone can drop an ice stone at anytime.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I keep a good stock of all magic stones on hand, but I keep extra icestones for Corentin and Giovanna.

What's great about the game is that every character in it (at least so far, I'm up 26 so far) is either generally very powerful or useful, or situationally extremely powerful or useful in right circumstances (Giovanna, Jens, Decimal, etc.) The only characters I've struggled to find a properly great use for are the spear boys (Roland & Maxwell); the former can't seem to hit the broadside of a barn and the latter is doing way less damage than it feels like he should (though he's not fully promoted yet so that may make a difference).

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Ace Transmuter posted:

I keep a good stock of all magic stones on hand, but I keep extra icestones for Corentin and Giovanna.

What's great about the game is that every character in it (at least so far, I'm up 26 so far) is either generally very powerful or useful, or situationally extremely powerful or useful in right circumstances (Giovanna, Jens, Decimal, etc.) The only characters I've struggled to find a properly great use for are the spear boys (Roland & Maxwell); the former can't seem to hit the broadside of a barn and the latter is doing way less damage than it feels like he should (though he's not fully promoted yet so that may make a difference).

Maxwell's weapon upgrade that reduces the TP cost of Triple Thrust to 1 helps him out a fair bit, especially because the alternative upgrade is +cav damage, which is relevant on like two maps a route, max.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also he's extremely mobile and surprisingly tanky, like a Flanagan that can also kill things. Top tier unit for sure once you get his full kit.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The trick to either is having them attack from behind your lines, moving out and rushing back in, or making a small group of mobile flankers/hit squad with Medina and Hossabara or just self healing, on a large map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The key to Maxwell is his promotion yes, it gives him a built-in resurrection earring and access to his ridiculous ultimate which lets him hit-and-run with a sunfall-sized aoe attack. It costs 5 TP but Maxwell has no issue with TP gain. Spears are still a pretty weak weapon though so his damage won't be outstanding, but it's not really low either.

Ace Transmuter posted:

Yeah I'm not seeing it. Her damage is bonkers, enough to make the conditionals worth it (lining up enemies is one thing, but icing the floor is trivial). She hits hard with her basic attack, has ridiculous movement and a 1 TP ranged move she can use practically anywhere, generates TP twice as fast unless you have her standing still for some reason, and her weapon skill wrecks.

I'm not gonna argue she's like S or A tier but she's definitely not a stinker.

Trekking for TP is one of those "sounds good on paper but doesn't usually work out that way" skills, especially if you've got ice everywhere slowing her down. I've never seen her damage go beyond piddly, especially the rock throw which is so wimpy as to be almost useless even with the damage upgrade, but I didn't exactly invest much into her either and I never really tested her out post-promotion. Maybe she's one of those "completely useless until promoted then is suddenly good" units.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 29, 2022