Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

reversefungi posted:

Hey folks! Been slowly thinking about trading in my Corolla for something more interesting/fun to drive, and the Miata is definitely in the running. Before I go out and start test driving, I was wondering, how feasible would it be to stick a digital piano in the passenger seat? I rarely have to do any transporting of larger items, but as a musician I do occasionally need to bring my 88-key piano around. Dimensions are 50.6″ x 10.2″ x 6.3″ (not including soft case which is very thin and shouldn't add much). Anyone tried to do this before? I imagine it shouldn't be a problem with top down, but what about top up? I'll probably just end up going to a dealer anyway to check for myself, but figured I'd ask in case anyone has concrete experience with something similar.

You could probably fit that AND a tiny pianist into the passenger seat on any Miata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
A 10" pianist?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I doubt it'll fit top up, but top down I stuck a 6-foot cat tree in the passenger seat of my miata, buckled it in, and drove it home no problem.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’ve carried 88 key piano in an ND and a 72 in a NA

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

TheBacon posted:

Hello thread I got a lot of catching up to do, but I am very likely going to be joining your ranks soon. Specifically I think this one might be a great match for me: https://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/d/bellingham-1995-mazda-miata/7519541796.html I'll be going to check it out tomorrow and I think if everything looks good go home with it and start the neverending fun of small wrenching projects!

Bought the car, $6500 is pretty okay to me considering my circumstances and the world. Although one thing I do need to address is the passenger door not actually catching on lock. Close the door and the key won’t turn it to lock, lock it from the inside before closing and it just pulls right open.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You have to hold the door handle open while closing if you pre-lock it

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The first rule of convertible ownership is door locks are a myth.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

A MIRACLE posted:

I’ve carried 88 key piano in an ND and a 72 in a NA

I've stacked an entire dining room set on/in an NA. Granted I was just moving across the street. They're quite versatile. :haw:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Anyone here try debadging the ND? I'm not a huge fan of the badges on the rear bumper. I'd go so far as to do the Mazda badges too, but I can live with those, I guess.

I bought some plastic plugs that someone recommended in Miata.net but I was thinking about getting some touchup paint to try and color match them to my paint. Do y'all have any good online stores for buying that/ I think the paint code is Jet Black Mica 41W

I probably just need to get a cheap can of primer that will stick to plastic, and a few light coats of touch up paint to do it.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Phone posted:

You have to hold the door handle open while closing if you pre-lock it

It also won’t lock from the outside, but thanks I’ll try this. In slightly new revelations I learned that I can at least lock it from the inside.

And yes I am considering never locking since this actually has a nice OEM glass top and I am sure whatever anyone takes would be cheaper than that would be to replace.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

TheBacon posted:

It also won’t lock from the outside, but thanks I’ll try this. In slightly new revelations I learned that I can at least lock it from the inside.

And yes I am considering never locking since this actually has a nice OEM glass top and I am sure whatever anyone takes would be cheaper than that would be to replace.

Not a car thief, but I feel like it would be easier to break a window than cut through the top and then reach down to the door lock and it isn't much louder if you're using a car escape tool and not a baseball bat or something. I also feel like about half the Wrangler owners in the Jeep thread that get stuff stolen had their plastic side windows cut through even though the doors were unlocked and you can usually unzip them from the outside anyway. I usually lock my doors to at least keep bored teenagers out.

Do people even steal things from cars anymore (other than stealing the car itself, that is)? People tend not to replace the stereo in cars made in the past decade, so demand isn't nearly as high as it used to be, and nobody wants my Garmin but me.

Of course I could be completely off base and people are still constantly going around cutting into soft tops to get that sweet Alpine.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yes, crime is still a thing.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yes, crime is still a thing.

Yeah but, of the cars I've known that have been broken into, there were two in the past decade that were stolen outright, and if I go back further there's

• Wrangler that had the windows themselves stolen
  • Window broken and my stereo stolen
  • Different window broken to steal my new stereo, but ran off when the alarm sounded
  • Third window broken but couldn't get sub enclosure through window and ran off
  • Friend of mine got out of car to get something, and the guy he was with drove off in his car. Guy was out of his mind on drugs and set glovebox contents on fire to keep the still running car warm (he thought the car was a sentient spaceship at the time). Guy sobered up enough to realize what he'd done and found a can of gas to finish the job destroy the evidence. Was cought almost immediately. Friend didn't press charges because he was sleeping with the guy or the guy's friend or something. Insurance rates went through the roof. I don't know how to classify this incident.

Add in the guys from the Jeep thread posting about "some rear end in a top hat cut my top open even though the doors were unlocked", and personally I don't really see the advantage to leaving my doors unlocked. This will obviously depend on the person and where they live.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
There's a lot of petty crime. Checking for unlocked doors and stealing whatever is inside, or maybe breaking a window and stealing whatever junk is inside. Or stealing nothing.

Happens a lot in my city. But also I have neighbors that never park in their garages and leave valuable things in view in their car. And, being Texas, if you have certain stickers on your card people might break into it for a free gun.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Oh, I forgot:
  • Left car unlocked and had owner's manual stolen and nothing else
Pretty sure it was some optimistic kid just being a dick because wtf.

MetaJew posted:

There's a lot of petty crime. Checking for unlocked doors and stealing whatever is inside, or maybe breaking a window and stealing whatever junk is inside. Or stealing nothing.

Happens a lot in my city. But also I have neighbors that never park in their garages and leave valuable things in view in their car. And, being Texas, if you have certain stickers on your card people might break into it for a free gun.
For the life of me, I don't know why people think "beware of owner" stickers deter crime. My dad had a cop tell him about some guys casing his house, saw a police badge on the table, and got excited because there would be guns to steal inside.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Is that anything more than a Mazda MX-5 with Alfa Romeo badges allover and different wheels? Because that is 100% what it looks like.
I saw something similar a while ago, but I think that was just computer renders.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I live in a relatively nice neighborhood in my city that nonetheless gets a lot of foot traffic and car break-ins happen all of the time. Like, at least once a week there is someone within a block or two or me posting on Nextdoor about how their car got rifled through. I make a point of keeping nothing even remotely enticing in my car but it was definitely a factor in deciding to trade in my soft top ND1 for an ND2 RF.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

ionn posted:

Is that anything more than a Mazda MX-5 with Alfa Romeo badges allover and different wheels? Because that is 100% what it looks like.
I saw something similar a while ago, but I think that was just computer renders.

I assume it's got the Fiat motor and suspension in it, since Fiat owns Alfa etc. Looking forward to the Dodge Piccolo Hellciata (185 hp, straight pipes)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Ether Frenzy posted:

I assume it's got the Fiat motor and suspension in it, since Fiat owns Alfa etc. Looking forward to the Dodge Piccolo Hellciata (185 hp, straight pipes)

I didn't know the suspension was different. Isn't the Fiat down like 30 hp to the ND?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Here's some specs.
https://carbuzz.com/compare/fiat-124-spider-abarth-vs-mazda-mx-5-miata-vs-mazda-mx-5-miata-rf
Here's an subjective comparison, but it has the older Miata numbers.
https://www.motor1.com/reviews/148186/fiat-124-spider-mazda-mx5-miata-comparison/

I think it's just tuning on the suspension, but the Fiat has a smaller turbo'd engine which produces more torque, which might actually feel faster on the road during normal driving/commuting unless you're absolutely going to wring the Miata out as the heritage on them is to have a more peppy & lively naturally aspirated motor. Fiat also weighs a tiny bit more but who knows if that's noticeable between the two since people weigh different amounts too.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Too bad the Fiata is gently caress ugly :can:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

pastor of muppets posted:

I think it looks far better, but different strokes. I do wish they had an RF Fiat.

Really, if five year old Abarths are running 30k there's no point to not getting a new ND instead.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

That particular car looks like a Miata with slight body mods. I'm sure it still has the Mazda motor. That car was not built or sold by Alfa.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

reversefungi posted:

Hey folks! Been slowly thinking about trading in my Corolla for something more interesting/fun to drive, and the Miata is definitely in the running. Before I go out and start test driving, I was wondering, how feasible would it be to stick a digital piano in the passenger seat? I rarely have to do any transporting of larger items, but as a musician I do occasionally need to bring my 88-key piano around. Dimensions are 50.6″ x 10.2″ x 6.3″ (not including soft case which is very thin and shouldn't add much). Anyone tried to do this before? I imagine it shouldn't be a problem with top down, but what about top up? I'll probably just end up going to a dealer anyway to check for myself, but figured I'd ask in case anyone has concrete experience with something similar.
I just tossed a free cello in my miata and it fit just fine.

Applesnots fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 28, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

pastor of muppets posted:

I considered posting this exact thought, wording and all earlier on today but refrained. But now you've done it I can simply post:

:agreed:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m gonna get a third Miata I think. NB this time ? I’ve had a NA and a ND. I could do another NA or a NC2~

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Applesnots posted:

gently caress yeah. Great post right here.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m gonna get a third Miata I think. NB this time ? I’ve had a NA and a ND. I could do another NA or a NC2~

I don't know that an NB would be different enough from your NA to float your boat. Unless the experience is exactly what you want back.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Miata's hold a lot of poo poo even with the top up. Yesterday I filled it with all kinds of poo poo for auto-x: 10x10 pop up canopy, camp chair, tool bag, 5qt oil jug, cooler backpack with a gallon of water and 2 Nalgene bottles, helmet, magnet numbers, Tire filler, inverter, and a bunch of other random poo poo.

I love that I can stick a 10x10 canopy AND a miata in the parking spot and fit. (I had parked next to my camp but then someone parked there when I went in for tech

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Applesnots posted:

Lil' Beefy is a treasure :kimchi:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My new work boots are a little taller and they pop the hood open on my NC every time I let out the clutch :bang:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

tactlessbastard posted:

My new work boots are a little taller and they pop the hood open on my NC every time I let out the clutch :bang:

Take your clutch boot off.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Goober Peas posted:

Lil' Beefy is a treasure :kimchi:

aww fanx :3:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

Take your clutch boot off.

Felt weird, drove to work in my socks with both boots in the passenger seat

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Ok seriously guys, you fuckin' lied to me. Miata is not the answer. Miatas are cursed. I've had this thing for less than two weeks and I just got hit again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Canna Happy posted:

Ok seriously guys, you fuckin' lied to me. Miata is not the answer. Miatas are cursed. I've had this thing for less than two weeks and I just got hit again.

Ouch, my goondolances :(

That color is just invisible - especially at night and when everyone drives a CUV 3 times taller than it.
Comedy option to wrap it in a neon color:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not sure I would want to street park a miata.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Do they not furnish you with eyes at birth over there or something?! :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
SUV drivers can't see full size sedans next to them op