Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

captkirk posted:

Does anyone have any good Japanese dishes that use white fish (halibut or cod most commonly)? Other than tempura!

I've tried simmering it in shoyu, mirin, sake, water and ginger a couple times. It's never that good.

I suspect that preparing them similarly to miso cod would probably work, although that's based on sablefish which has somewhat more oily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Cod is popular in hotpot style cooking in Japan so that's one thing to try.

Here's a different variation on that theme as well.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
Marinating it in shio koji overnight then broiling it is my first quick suggestion.

I would've said substitute it for the yellowtail in buri daikon, but if you didn't like it simmered in soy sauce/mirin/sake/ginger, I doubt the addition of daikon is going to help.

A simple sanpeijiru could be good?

Or try konbu-jime for something lighter? The way the flavor of the konbu transfers to (imo, rather bland) white fish is very nice.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Had friends over and I made a nice full Japanese meal for the first time in forever: nikujaga, miso soup with turnip, white and brown rice mixed, hiyayakko, kinpira lotus root and some homemade cabbage pickle I forgot to take a photo of.

Everything came out amazing and I'm pretty happy, haven't been able to do something like this in forever. My kid loved all the food too.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 29, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Am I the only one who loves that style of rectangular plate? It feels like the perfect setup for portioning without stuff laying on top of other stuff

Development
Jun 2, 2016

hallo spacedog posted:

Had friends over and I made a nice full Japanese meal for the first time in forever: nikujaga, miso soup with turnip, white and brown rice mixed, hiyayakko, kinpira lotus root and some homemade cabbage pickle I forgot to take a photo of.

Everything came out amazing and I'm pretty happy, haven't been able to do something like this in forever. My kid loved all the food too.

:allears: this is gorgeous! lotus root looks great.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Development posted:

:allears: this is gorgeous! lotus root looks great.

Thanks! It was a lot of fun.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Heath posted:

Am I the only one who loves that style of rectangular plate? It feels like the perfect setup for portioning without stuff laying on top of other stuff

layering preserves heat

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Heath posted:

I have been playing the 'add to cart' but never checkout game with some of these plates from a local japanese pottery studio (Arakawa Pottery) :ohdear:

Sushi Katsu, a new omakase place in Mountain View, uses their plates.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Development posted:

I have been playing the 'add to cart' but never checkout game with some of these plates from a local japanese pottery studio (Arakawa Pottery) :ohdear:

Sushi Katsu, a new omakase place in Mountain View, uses their plates.

Those dishes are beautiful. And I'm super jealous of that sushi.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Oh dang MV got a nice sushi spot? I moved too early...

Development
Jun 2, 2016

canoshiz posted:

Oh dang MV got a nice sushi spot? I moved too early...

Yep, south bay finally got a nice omakase place that isn't a money grab like Hiroshi. I went to Katsu (downtown MV) during their soft opening and it was good, but they still needed to work a few things out. It's a bit expensive and for only $50 more you can get Yoshizumi, so I'm not in a rush to go back. MV also has a new-ish omakase called Sushi Jin (random rear end strip mall), but their nigiri are too small and people often complain that they are still hungry after. HMU to talk sushi if you're still in the bay area!

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Do people actually each 1 go of rice in a meal? I am not a small guy but I think if I ate a full go (dry volume) of rice it would have to be my whole drat meal.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

captkirk posted:

Do people actually each 1 go of rice in a meal? I am not a small guy but I think if I ate a full go (dry volume) of rice it would have to be my whole drat meal.

My family of two adults and a small child doesn't even eat one go of rice in a meal.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

captkirk posted:

People usually eat a pretty substantial amount of rice in Asia. I'm not running around with my rice calipers but one go looks pretty normal to me. 150 grams of cooked rice is often called a go as well when specifically talking about food, which is the standard size of a Japanese rice bowl. Standard onigiri is 100 grams of rice, people will eat two or three of those no problem.

I have not lived in Japan, just eaten six times a day on vacations there, but for sure in Korea and China people obliterate the rice. Totally normal to see someone house like five bowls of rice and leave behind half of the other food, whereas I focus on the "side dishes" (the mains, to my thinking) and don't eat nearly as much rice.

Since the picture is handy, that bowl hallo spacedog has upthread a bit is a tiny rice portion. I don't think I ever saw one that small in Asia, even the lunches for elementary school kids were bigger than that. If I were in Asia I'd expect an average person to eat like at least three or four times that much.

E: Here's a few random supermarket/convenience store bentos I found to give some idea of a generic standard portion for one.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 1, 2022

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Development posted:

Yep, south bay finally got a nice omakase place that isn't a money grab like Hiroshi. I went to Katsu (downtown MV) during their soft opening and it was good, but they still needed to work a few things out. It's a bit expensive and for only $50 more you can get Yoshizumi, so I'm not in a rush to go back. MV also has a new-ish omakase called Sushi Jin (random rear end strip mall), but their nigiri are too small and people often complain that they are still hungry after. HMU to talk sushi if you're still in the bay area!

Yup, in the east bay now! There's a place called Mujiri that was doing takeout in Oakland during the heat of COVID that I think transitioned over to full service restauranting not that long ago that I've been meaning to check out. Also curious about ju-ni's new handroll bar Handroll Project in the Mission, but not curious enough to want to drive there and wait in that long line...

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

captkirk posted:

My 2 children and I eat about a go between us, and my husband eats 1+ by himself.

I guess back when more people did manual labor for a living, eating 3-4 bowls of rice at a meal was pretty normal.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Thread making me wanna house a bunch of rice now.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

Thread making me wanna house a bunch of rice now.

Well, measure how much you scarf down and report back.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LyonsLions posted:

My 2 children and I eat about a go between us, and my husband eats 1+ by himself.

I guess back when more people did manual labor for a living, eating 3-4 bowls of rice at a meal was pretty normal.

Sort of, for a very long time most Japanese were very austere with their food portions. Sure they could be comfortable now, but who knows what tomorrow would bring and best not get too used to large portions of food. Then WW2 happened and some officials took note of how much slighter the average Japanese man was compared to the people they were fighting and recent studies about how much early age nutrition played a role in that. The government pushed larger portions and higher protein in their post war reformations as a result. Its why eggs play such a large part in modern Japanese cuisine despite religious strictures against eating non-piscine meat and laws against animal-husbandry dominating b the culture for the last millenia.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Sort of, for a very long time most Japanese were very austere with their food portions. Sure they could be comfortable now, but who knows what tomorrow would bring and best not get too used to large portions of food. Then WW2 happened and some officials took note of how much slighter the average Japanese man was compared to the people they were fighting and recent studies about how much early age nutrition played a role in that. The government pushed larger portions and higher protein in their post war reformations as a result. Its why eggs play such a large part in modern Japanese cuisine despite religious strictures against eating non-piscine meat and laws against animal-husbandry dominating b the culture for the last millenia.

Also helps when there was the additional problem of their soldier and sailors getting beriberi from eating basically nothing but rice.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Should I brine chicken if I'm making teriyaki? Usually I just take the breast out of the package and like, score the chicken then cook it in a pan, then once it's done cut it into lil strips and simmer it with 2tbsp each of sale, mirin, brown sugar (sometimes less depending on how fat I feel), and soy sauce, maybe a lil corn starch to thicken it. It usually comes out pretty good but I'm thinking ahead to dinner tomorrow (which is unusual, I normally just cook whatever sounds good that night) and not sure if there's a better way.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Instead of breast use a thigh and you won’t need a brine :science:

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Got a trip to Japan planned in December. How do I like, find good places to eat there? Do I just kind of stumble around on tabelog to see what's good? I saw that Yelp works there but I'm pretty sure only American people use it there so I'd like to know ways to find places I might otherwise miss by sticking to English language stuff.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I rarely bother with sites at all unless I'm looking for something specific. Tabelog is good. Keep in mind it doesn't have the kind of vote inflation you might be used to so like a 3/5 is a strong rating.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

canoshiz posted:

Got a trip to Japan planned in December. How do I like, find good places to eat there? Do I just kind of stumble around on tabelog to see what's good? I saw that Yelp works there but I'm pretty sure only American people use it there so I'd like to know ways to find places I might otherwise miss by sticking to English language stuff.

It's like one of the few places in the world where you can pretty much just go into a random establishment and it will be good, no matter the price point. Or, at least it was like that 15 years ago.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I could probably count the number of bad meals I had over the course of like 2 years in Japan on one hand.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

I could probably count the number of bad meals I had over the course of like 2 years in Japan on one hand.

I try to explain this to my wife every chance I can to convince her we need to plan a trip as she is a food tourist. Even the loving conbini slaps.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

djfooboo posted:

I try to explain this to my wife every chance I can to convince her we need to plan a trip as she is a food tourist. Even the loving conbini slaps.

My partner and I went there in May of '19 and our end the day ritual was raiding a new konbini and trying all the new and amazing treats.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

I rarely bother with sites at all unless I'm looking for something specific. Tabelog is good. Keep in mind it doesn't have the kind of vote inflation you might be used to so like a 3/5 is a strong rating.

I agree, Tabelog is the way to go. For Tokyo stuff: https://www.tokyotabletrip.com/en. For Fukuoka stuff: Quitters (http://quitters.jp/) rules. The site plays well with google translate and the authors are hilarious http://quitters.jp/2018/10/18/post-14190/.

canoshiz posted:

Got a trip to Japan planned in December. How do I like, find good places to eat there?

Very jealous! If you can manage it, try and see if you can find an Omakase Tempura restaurant. I have never found one in the US because there's too many rules/regulations about oil frying on the counter directly across from patrons.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

Yeah it is true that having a genuinely bad meal in Japan is rare. I think the worst I've ever had was at a Gusto, but I was just curious and knew what I was getting into there so it was fine.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

The only bad food I ever had in Japan was when I was missing American food and got a cheeseburger at the Lotteria. Or maybe the insanity of Taco Rice in Okinawa. That taco pizza was amazing though. I'm not sure if any of this counts as japanese food but it was food in Japan.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The only disappointing food I can remember having in Japan is a crab leg my husband bought near a shrine, and that's only because I don't really like crab. It was large and meaty, so I'm sure I would have liked it if crab was my thing.

E: Also I stupidly bit into some too-hot taiyaki and burned my tongue. But that was a me problem

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions y'all. I should clarify that I definitely plan on just wandering for the vast majority of my time there, but would like to scope out at least a small handful of places that I should make plans to go to. I've been to Japan before for work, and with family, but not really with as much autonomy as I'll have this time around, so I'm pretty excited.

While we're on the subject, anyone know a good spot to pick up some nice knives? I figure I've been looking at getting a sujihiki and maybe a deba and gyuto as well and I might as well take advantage of the USD:JPY conversion while I'm there.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Agree that it’s hard to get a truly bad meal in Japan. When we were there quite often we would go to the food court in a mall and just pick a place based on what we fancied eating that night eg Ramen, Okonomiyaki, Tonkatsu etc and how amazed we were by their model food display in the window lol

Development
Jun 2, 2016

canoshiz posted:

While we're on the subject, anyone know a good spot to pick up some nice knives? I figure I've been looking at getting a sujihiki and maybe a deba and gyuto as well and I might as well take advantage of the USD:JPY conversion while I'm there.
the real heart of japanese knives is in sakai city, osaka. worth the trip if you’re over there.

Tokyo: if you’re going to be visiting Tsukiji Market, there are many knife shops adjacent to it in Tsukiji. Nenohi is extremely popular among chefs around the world and has a small cute store there.

I think the coolest place though is Kappabashi dougu street in Tokyo. Lots to see if you’re a cooking nerd.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

canoshiz posted:

Thanks for the suggestions y'all. I should clarify that I definitely plan on just wandering for the vast majority of my time there, but would like to scope out at least a small handful of places that I should make plans to go to. I've been to Japan before for work, and with family, but not really with as much autonomy as I'll have this time around, so I'm pretty excited.

If you're in Tokyo then Kappabashi is the kitchen shopping area. I think it's near Asakusa. Osaka has a similar kind of shopping area not far from the centre. I'm sure most major cities will. You'll find a massive selection of knives at these from cheap to very expensive. If you want some really really fancy knives then I'm sure Ginza would have a knife store.

As for food I'd suggest you just go tick off all the different types of restaurant like tonkotsu, sushi, ramen, yakiniku and other regional stuff etc etc. Because even if you go to one of the 20 best in the city it'll be excellent.

Development posted:

Tokyo: if you’re going to be visiting Tsukiji Market, there are many knife shops adjacent to it in Tsukiji. Nenohi is extremely popular among chefs around the world and has a small cute store there.

Tsukiji closed a few years ago. They moved the fish market to a new more modern spot in Toyosu.

Fists Up fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 30, 2022

Development
Jun 2, 2016

quote:

Tsukiji closed a few years ago. They moved the fish market to a new more modern spot in Toyosu.

closed for fish wholesalers yes, but they converted the outer market to a tourist attraction iirc?

Development fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 30, 2022

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Development posted:

closed for fish wholesalers yes, but they converted the outer market to a tourist attraction iirc?

Admittedly it was a clusterfuck and not fully functioning due to the olympics stuff when I was last there but a lot of places were closed and it seemed very dead so I just assumed it wasn't worth a visit now with the wholesale fish market not there. You could be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Development posted:

I went to Tsukiji in 2019 to go to a restaurant and it was definitely a little touristy area around part of the marketplace