Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Koirhor posted:

At least everytime a new star trek show comes out they make an effort to make the title theme music unique, nope not hbo just loving recycle that poo poo with very uninteresting graphics

they should have got tom waits to cover the got theme for the dragon house show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Koirhor posted:

At least everytime a new star trek show comes out they make an effort to make the title theme music unique, nope not hbo just loving recycle that poo poo with very uninteresting graphics

I was about to say something like "even Enterprise's 'Faith of the Heart' would have been better" but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

gently caress that song.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Toplowtech posted:

LOL i would say "come to the spoiler thread you coward" but yeah a lot of people watching this show seem to believe that it's going to be about a civil war between Rhaenyra and Daemon. Extreme LMAO. The truth is even funnier: half the cast of characters for this war aren't born yet.

I just remembered that Shireen spoils this in a GoT episode anyway.

Highlight of the episode for me was that someone said 'mummer's farce'. Every time someone said 'actor's play' in GoT it was like nails on a chalkboard. This show seems to be taking the little details from the book more seriously than GoT did.

Re: The opening the main issue for me is that the GoT theme doesn't suit it at all. This needed something a bit darker and more Targaryan-y. GoT's theme was well suited to the globetrotting journeys that comprise most of that story but not to a series that's going to be mostly focused on one city and a war. The visuals were a good idea but it needs tweaking. Just having nameplates on the little blood nodes to show that they represent the family tree would be a start.

stev fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 29, 2022

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
They should have used "Rastafarian Targaryen" as the opening theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfI_mUIvYq8

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HouseOfTheDragon/comments/x0d4ak/hotd_intro_theoretical_breakdown/

This is a pretty good breakdown of the intro, even if it's mostly educated guesswork at this point.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Just zoom out at the end to show it's a family tree, even...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Crapilicious posted:

He's just not meant to look kingly.

'Plump and jovial' is a category of kingly, too, cos Robert may have been more concerned with drinking and whoring but he sure did look like a king.

The five-o-clock shadow and the slight jowl going on seems to have an effect, as well as the fact that Paddy Considine is really good at playing 'just some guy out of his depth'.

This. The guy just wants to play with his minis and I feel like the curb your enthusiasm theme should be playing during half his interaction. Basically he is king goon.

Blind Pineapple posted:

Seems like the show is making a point to emphasize the extreme misogyny of Westeros in a way that GoT didn't. GoT had a lot of explicit rape and violence against women sure, but seemed to try to offset it with some strong women leaders. HoD really hammers home how second-class women are in all aspects of society.

Yeah I am happy that it didn’t go full sexpostion again. Like yeah sometimes it worked sorta but not all evil against ladies has to be shown as graphic rape.

Toplowtech posted:

LOL i would say "come to the spoiler thread you coward" but yeah a lot of people watching this show seem to believe that it's going to be about a civil war between Rhaenyra and Daemon. Extreme LMAO. The truth is even funnier: half the cast of characters for this war aren't born yet.

Yeah. It’s interesting. Lots of red herrings so far.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
It was only a couple episodes into GoT where we all collectively decided as a society that it would be okay to murder a child in cold blood just this one time as long as that child was Joffrey.

With this show we talk about the intro CGI.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Moving a little too slow for me honestly. I wonder how long it can really hold onto casual fans without the sort of gut punches that season one of Game of Thrones had. I woulda preferred seeing Daemon's dragon appearing through the clouds at the very end, about to confront the crab-feeders. Like, at least that'd give the ending a little bit of an oomph rather than just seeing some generic guy looking around, and woulda gotten the ball rolling on that plot already.
I am enjoying it but yeah hopefully we get a big moment in the next couple of episodes.

The crab people are strange, why are they so overly the top evil and why don't they just send a dragon to eat them?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

CODChimera posted:

I am enjoying it but yeah hopefully we get a big moment in the next couple of episodes.

The crab people are strange, why are they so overly the top evil and why don't they just send a dragon to eat them?

I think there’s only 2 dragon riders right now? Daemon and Rhaynera and that’s it, since Viserys’s died.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bobjr posted:

I think there’s only 2 dragon riders right now? Daemon and Rhaynera and that’s it, since Viserys’s died.

Rhaenys rides Meleys.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Blind Pineapple posted:

Seems like the show is making a point to emphasize the extreme misogyny of Westeros in a way that GoT didn't. GoT had a lot of explicit rape and violence against women sure, but seemed to try to offset it with some strong women leaders. HoD really hammers home how second-class women are in all aspects of society.

Game of Thrones didn't really have any strong women leaders at the start. Daenerys is basically sold off to the Dothraki by her brother and doesn't become a leader until after her dragons have grown big enough to kill people. Cersei is similarly sold off into marriage against her will, while her fail-son brothers get to do whatever they want. Arya, Brienne, and Olenna Tyrell are probably the only female characters from Westeros we come across who weren't ever shown to be subservient to the men around them.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I didn't like that they had a child actress tell a middle aged man she could bear him kids. I don't care if it's historically accurate, it's really gross. I hope they move away from that ASAP

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The king's like "They want to marry a 12-year-old? That's so hosed up. I'm gonna marry a 15-year-old."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

grittyreboot posted:

I didn't like that they had a child actress tell a middle aged man she could bear him kids. I don't care if it's historically accurate, it's really gross. I hope they move away from that ASAP

It's not real. And it's supposed to be a gross scene.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Yeah they really did go out of their way to go “everyone feels bad about this”. They even dedicated multiple scenes of dialog to exactly that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

grittyreboot posted:

She specifically said she'd only have to "bed" him at 14. :barf:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah seriously, it felt gross but again it’s historically accurate but then they did the historically inaccurate and made everyone feel gross about it too. It was executed acceptably.

But gently caress it was so gross. Good TV.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Just popping in to say that I am enjoying the show so far.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Eau de MacGowan posted:

theres been about two hours of house of the dragon now - has there been a scene with a bunch of peasants sitting around burping, farting, and talking about potatoes?

Lol

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
Great episode, and far better than the first. Rhaenyra proved herself as a really compelling character and the actor who plays her did a phenomenal job in that last scene. You really saw her heart break for the person she clearly is in love with.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

grittyreboot posted:

The explicit, cold blooded torture and murder of innocent merchant sailors can stay though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Whale Vomit posted:

Great episode, and far better than the first. Rhaenyra proved herself as a really compelling character and the actor who plays her did a phenomenal job in that last scene. You really saw her heart break for the person she clearly is in love with.

She's REALLY good. The show is going to suffer when they go to the older versions of those characters and she isn't on it anymore.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Are there hints of attraction between Rhaenyra and Alicent in the book? Am I just poisoned by CW shows seeing it in this series?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The explicit, cold blooded torture and murder of innocent merchant sailors can stay though.

CRAB DEATH

Ville Valo posted:

Are there hints of attraction between Rhaenyra and Alicent in the book? Am I just poisoned by CW shows seeing it in this series?

I get the sense that they are just very close friends, but that's what historians always say about ancient lesbians.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

iirc they don't have much of a relationship at all in the books before Alicent marries Viserys. I think Rhaenyra is several years younger

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, which is why I like the choice to make them friends around the same age. I'm not totally sold on HOTD yet but I do appreciate a lot of the choices Ryan Condal made to bring human drama/characterization to a loose fake-history outline without a lot of that explicitly detailed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Whale Vomit posted:

Oh yeah, right? I'm so ready for what I assume is going to be a very gay war.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That's what I'm enjoying about this show - they can get creative with details like that on the basis that whatever maester was around at the time didn't know or chose not to record it in history.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Whale Vomit posted:

I took it mostly being pissed as hell for the betrayal of her best friend and her father at the same time. The seeds are planted for future events

The actress is great, I wonder if we get the same quality with older Rhaenyra.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I thought that was too much, I think this is the first time I felt grossed out by explicit violence in the series, except maybe Oberyn.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Crab scenes were great and was upset we didn’t get more this episode. Hope we do in the future. :D

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hoping the triarchy have some fun aesthetic flair cuz everything on the beach seemed pretty boring looking other than the horrifying eye catching (and eating!!) crab torture
Can they ride giant crabs???

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Typical Targ hypocrisy for Rhaenyra to first shrug her shoulders at her 12 year old cousin getting shotgun married to her dad, going "Well, he is the king after all!" And then walking out in a huff when it's actually her friend getting married instead.

It's just like.... gently caress. There's no one to root for. There is no levity. The show's thesis at the moment is, "See? Here's what the rule of a normal and reasonable king would be. He's weak and sucks and everyone thinks so. Also, this world is full of Crab Kings that would gladly torture innocents to death and the main king is doing nothing about it, so maybe the heavy handed fascist style of ruling like Daemon wants is Cool and Good actually???"

That choice sucks. These people suck. Tyrion made ruling fairly look cool through guile, deals, and speeches. This show needs s Cool Good Guy. Currently it's just Weak, Nerdy Good Guys and Cool Fashies.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sure okay posted:

Typical Targ hypocrisy for Rhaenyra to first shrug her shoulders at her 12 year old cousin getting shotgun married to her dad, going "Well, he is the king after all!" And then walking out in a huff when it's actually her friend getting married instead.

Yes, her :airquote: friend :airquote:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is that really something that makes Rhaenyra unsympathetic? I dont think characters need to be rational and consistent in their logic to be someone you can root for. She's a teenager.
I will agree there's way less levity, tho ill take dour n self serious if it eliminates the possibility of GoT's late seasons sense of "humor".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just bring Bronn back, we the viewership promise we will ask no questions about it.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Just bring Bronn back, we the viewership promise we will ask no questions about it.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Is that really something that makes Rhaenyra unsympathetic? I dont think characters need to be rational and consistent in their logic to be someone you can root for. She's a teenager.
I will agree there's way less levity, tho ill take dour n self serious if it eliminates the possibility of GoT's late seasons sense of "humor".

Yeah, there's just no fun. They need more scenes like Arya talking to Ned while balancing on the steps, or some of those great Robert/Ned scenes. I want to see some friendships. All we really got is that one Alicent/Rhaenyra scene.

Ville Valo posted:

The book is really ambiguous about that kind of stuff in general. There are moments where it will talk about a female character and how many "female companions" she always had and how she was in a bad mood while she was on a long journey and only picked up her mood when she met another close "female companion." Then there are other sections where it feels like you're actually supposed to read that a character is gay, when they really might just be surrounding themselves with "companions" for the sake of politics or dragon hatching/binding stuff. The book is way more interesting to discuss with people or read theories about than it is to actually read most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sure okay posted:

This show needs s Cool Good Guy. Currently it's just Weak, Nerdy Good Guys and Cool Fashies.

They're all absolute monarchists. Cool Good Guy king had a conversation where he was like "I don't want to marry a child," and Otto was like "Hey man, you literally own everything. You can do whatever you want." And Otto was correct in that assessment.

The show definitely lacks some grounding by not getting out amongst the rabble as much as GoT and not having a guy like Tyrion with some street smarts. Everyone this show follows is way up their own asses with all the concerns over court poo poo. Corlys is probably the closest, but it doesn't really show other than he's a lot more honest, direct, and practical than everyone else.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 29, 2022