Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Kind of weird to have that Sage guy from Sumeru City refer to an event that happened in Tighnari's character teaser as far as I'm aware. They really do expect you to have seen every piece of media related to this game for optimal story flow I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

frajaq posted:

Any loremasters know who this Zandik is?

There are some hints that he might be Dottore, back when he was in the akademiya. Lots of dealing with ruin bots!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, my guess is zandik is dottore's real name, like ajax is childe's.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

SiKboy posted:

Sweet baby jesus this sabzeruz quest just doesnt loving end. Like I'm glad I didnt have any other plans this evening because this has been a long shift.

I found out last night that the best part is if you try to go do something else, like say your daily resin/commissions, it resets.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Mailer posted:

I found out last night that the best part is if you try to go do something else, like say your daily resin/commissions, it resets.

Oh good lord, I'm glad I powered through despite the headache it triggered.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

What is UP with Doris accent in japanese. She's like almost a stereotypical american but not quite there

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Don't-need-my-teammates'-bursts status achieved :toot:

https://i.imgur.com/W4zmFz9.mp4

I think this is the first team I love just as much as my Chong/Aloy/Kaz/Koko freeze team. It kind of mirrors that one in a lot of ways that check my boxes:
  • Every character synergizes with each other in compounding ways
  • Es pull a ton of weight
  • Not reliant on bursts, but they still have a huge impact if used
  • Mechanic intensive, feels like playing a different game
  • Effective at all ranges
  • Great in open world and Abyss (I'm assuming)
  • Uses the cutest anime boys

The funny thing is that it uses none of the same elements. I guess Pyro is truly my least favorite.

The only thing I truly miss is Kazuha's item succ. Lack of true healing isn't too bad. I rarely take damage outside of carelessness or the rare Rifthound encounter, and it's fun having an excuse to feed Tigh his favorite mushrooms.

I've come around to appreciating VV, which I felt was just a statstick at first. The succ is actually nice for pinning down enemies for easy aiming, as well as maximizing Raiden/Albedo procs. Plus it looks great on him.

The biggest weakness I see with this comp is dealing with elemental shields. Most of them have to be brute forced, except for Hydro. When fighting Fatui grunts, better hope you kill them before they power up, though that isn't too difficult with this damage output.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

What is UP with Doris accent in japanese. She's like almost a stereotypical american but not quite there
She seems to be going for a mix of 'mishmash foreign merchant' and 'ultra-polite, ultra-formal', so her speech comes across very strange. The mishmash foreign merchant accent is something you see in anime and other media sometimes, my understanding is that it's basically just a stereotype derived from the various cultures that traded with Japan via the silk road. Iran, India, China, various European countries, that sort of thing. If you've ever seen a merchant character with a turban in a JRPG, they were probably pulling from that kind of thing in the JP script. However, her actual speech patterns in Japanese seem to be based on something like an extremely formal, overly polite court scholar type in a period drama, or something - her delivery, rhythm, and word choice are all very 'old' compared to the other characters in the game, even moreso than when, say, the archons are going full godly speech mode.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

Boy, I can't wait to get all the materials to bring Collei and Tighnari up to 70+ and also be able to get semi decent damage out of one of them.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

The Morn A Thousand Roses brings: I think I narrowed down on one of the moments that really made this arc a hit for me. Nahida just gets so earnestly excited about Paimon and the Traveler learning what an analogy is. Simultaneously, it reminds me that they are both easily-distracted dummies who are nevertheless doing their best and it tells me that the Archon of Wisdom really loves seeing people learn and develop at their own pace. When they are at their best, all of the Archons show a balance of patience and compassion, and it would be really easy to end up characterizing Nahida as smug or impatient with people who can't keep up with her. But she isn't. Tbe Archon of Wisdom is legit delighted when people figure something out, or find a novel way to approach a problem. It's kinda infectious. When she gets hyped that Paimon figured something out, I feel inclined to look at our heroes more charitably as well. They're doing their best! Sure, there's smarter ways to deal with it, but with Nahida cheering for them I can put aside the impulse to nitpick them quite so hard. Even as the limits of her perspective and the mental blocks she's developed from letting the government box her away kinda like Ei become clear, Nahida is a really nice person. I hope that our heroes can cheer her on as she starts to figure out how far the rot in the Akademiya goes, it would be really cool if they can share a bit of what they've learned about the "real archons" that Nahida has made into impossibly perfect role models in her head.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

I've also found Raiden's Skill to be Tigh's bff. It's controlled pacing of only going off on his shots is incredibly useful.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

drat, yours does a lot more damage than mine. What are your talents at? And what are the artifacts main stats? Having lower talents is the biggest obvious weakness mine has (his are all only 3 right now). It seems like all 3 talents are pretty useful for him. (edit: Wait, are the 17000k hits Albedo or Tighnari? I can't tell the difference between the Geo and Dendro colors visually)

I put Sayu into my team (so Tighnari/Raiden/Yae Miko/Sayu). Since I have very few claymores leveled up, I actually gave her my level 90 Wolf's Gravestone because her Sacrificial Greatsword is only level 50 - she actually does pretty good regular damage with this and her healing is definitely high enough.

I think once I have the materials to level up Collei that I might replace one of my electro with her, since it feels like I have too much Electro right now. A shielder would be nice (since Tighnari only has 13,000HP he dies very fast), but Yoimiya already has my Zhongli.

Only vaguely related, but it's very weird that there's no Dendro/Geo reaction, since it's probably the Dendro combo with the most intuitive reaction conceptually (aside from maybe Dendro/Pyro or Dendro/Hydro). I get why it's the case, since it'd be unbalanced to have an exception where you no longer get shield particles, but it's still strange.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 29, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can probably skip leveling tighnari's e. its worth hitting eventually but you arent really using it for the damage and leveling it doesnt increase the duration or anything.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

drat, yours does a lot more damage than mine. What are your talents at? And what are the artifacts main stats? Having lower talents is the biggest obvious weakness mine has (his are all only 3 right now). It seems like all 3 talents are pretty useful for him. (edit: Wait, are the 17000k hits Albedo or Tighnari? I can't tell the difference between the Geo and Dendro colors visually)

This is what I have right now.

The 17k hits are Tigh. Albedo does regularly hit for around 12-15k though.

Talent priority is NA/CA > Q > E. His E is probably one of the worst scaling things in the game and can honestly be kept at 1 indefinitely, but I'll probably still level it eventually.

Ytlaya posted:

Only vaguely related, but it's very weird that there's no Dendro/Geo reaction, since it's probably the Dendro combo with the most intuitive reaction conceptually (aside from maybe Dendro/Pyro or Dendro/Hydro). I get why it's the case, since it'd be unbalanced to have an exception where you no longer get shield particles, but it's still strange.

Eh, I'm fine with it being inert with Dendro since it means it doesn't mess up their reactions with the other 3. I actually speculated this in the old thread and am finding it more or less true:

gandlethorpe posted:

I think Geo being mostly unobtrusive with Dendro reactions might actually be a boon in disguise. They could potentially be really strong as a support element, particularly for quicken/catalyze. The issue right now is that Geo tends to mess up reactions involving the big four elements. With Dendro reactions, it'll only ever interfere if you apply the non-Dendro first, Geo second, and Dendro last. And even then, the reaction still might go through.

With Geo having fewer elements to crystallize, Archaic Petra may become more valuable. For example, an Electro aggravate team won't want to run Hydro, Pyro, or Cryo. That gives you space to run Dendro, Geo, or Electro resonance or Anemo for VV.

Several Geo characters also have decent kits to offer a team that runs Dendro reactions. Albedo buffs EM and can deal off-field damage for the Dendro set. Zhongli for universal -RES and also off-field damage. Yun Jin's Q stacks with aggravate/spread. Geo Traveler buffs crit. Any two of these would bring Geo resonance and strong support abilities that an Electro or Dendro carry can appreciate, and they should be able to burst often. Hell, even Ningguang might work with Hakushin Ring, or could serve as a healer with Prototype Amber. Or Gorou indirectly buffing DPS by giving Yun Jin more DEF.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 29, 2022

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Just managed to squeak it in. Man, Mihoyo really did decide to rip off Koroks and then make AN ENTIRE VIDEOGAME OF CONTENT about them.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The next step of the teapot adventure guide thing wants me to buy something from the Travelling Salesman in another player's teapot. Is there some way to do that by ducking into any old rando's world, or will I have to faff around adding people to my friends list and waiting for the Salesman to show up in one of them?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

FractalSandwich posted:

The next step of the teapot adventure guide thing wants me to buy something from the Travelling Salesman in another player's teapot. Is there some way to do that by ducking into any old rando's world, or will I have to faff around adding people to my friends list and waiting for the Salesman to show up in one of them?

You'd have to duck into some randos teapot specifically, or just hop on Discord and get some goon to friend you because most of us leave our teapots open. Then you just wait until Sunday and hop in to buy something.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Maxwell Adams posted:

Just managed to squeak it in. Man, Mihoyo really did decide to rip off Koroks and then make AN ENTIRE VIDEOGAME OF CONTENT about them.

I also just hit Rep 2 today, but I did my weeklies earlier since I wasn't sure when I'd get there.

The very end of the Aranara quests affected me quite a bit. Sumeru really is just a massive step up. So much to do, and more on the way.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So do the unlocks for the vines covering everything, the singing arches, the dendro barriers and those broken elemental totems come from the Archon quest or the Aranara ones?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

RareAcumen posted:

So do the unlocks for the vines covering everything, the singing arches, the dendro barriers and those broken elemental totems come from the Archon quest or the Aranara ones?

Getting into places blocked by vines, the pods with green hue inside and general stuff like that are all stuff you learn to access through the Aranara quests. I did the archon quest chain tonight and it was a few hours. I think the Aranara quests are more like 12-20 depending how distracted you get chasing after chests, dendroculus, puzzles, and whatnot. It definitely felt like after doing the initial quests with Tighnari, I ran into Rana on the way to Sumeru City and then I just did Aranara quests all week until I finally sat down to do the archon quest chain. I sort of wish I had skipped back and forth earlier to get the rep stuff and commissions unlocked earlier but I had just sort of figured the Archon quest line would be huge and sprawling, too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The only negative (or more accurately "less positive") thing I have to say about Sumeru is that a lot of the overworld areas don't have a ton of visual variety - lots of green hills. Chasm is still probably my favorite zone. But I'm sure we'll get a lot of crazy stuff when the desert is released.

gandlethorpe posted:

This is what I have right now.

Ah, it's nice to see that your first is at 8. That probably explains at least a few thousand of the difference in damage.

Your crit damage is also significantly higher. I think my circlet might be EM. That probably accounts for most of the rest of the difference.

gandlethorpe posted:

Eh, I'm fine with it being inert with Dendro since it means it doesn't mess up their reactions with the other 3. I actually speculated this in the old thread and am finding it more or less true:

It's completely fine from a gameplay perspective; it just bugs me conceptually that you have something from a bizarre combo like electricity and plants, but nothing from combining dirt and plants.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 29, 2022

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Completed the Aranyaka, unless there are more than 6 chapters to it. Took me a while because the hints it gives you are vague as hell, mostly just stumbled upon progress in a lot of places.

The Dendro zipline things might be my favorite addition mechanically, but I think the plants that create them reset every day, at least some of them definitely do. Kind of a drag to have to trigger them again every time but maybe they'd cause some kind of a visual overload in certain areas, I don't know.

Still some of the better hidden chests and stuff to do but otherwise I think I'm pretty much done with this part of Sumeru and I'll echo just about everyone in that it's by far the best content the game has had yet.

Now the eternal farm for a halfway decent 5* Dendro cup begins.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I was wondering what dumb bullshit the new world boss was gonna do to keep you from hurting it but LOL no you can kill it in like 10 seconds. Also it seems you get 3 ascension materials every time now which is extremely welcome.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Republicans posted:

I was wondering what dumb bullshit the new world boss was gonna do to keep you from hurting it but LOL no you can kill it in like 10 seconds. Also it seems you get 3 ascension materials every time now which is extremely welcome.

The first part yes, but unfortunately not the second. But yeah it's refreshing not to have unnecessary invulnerability phases. The next few bosses looks like they'll be fliers though. Shouldn't be a problem for Tighnari though!

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

She seems to be going for a mix of 'mishmash foreign merchant' and 'ultra-polite, ultra-formal', so her speech comes across very strange. The mishmash foreign merchant accent is something you see in anime and other media sometimes, my understanding is that it's basically just a stereotype derived from the various cultures that traded with Japan via the silk road. Iran, India, China, various European countries, that sort of thing. If you've ever seen a merchant character with a turban in a JRPG, they were probably pulling from that kind of thing in the JP script. However, her actual speech patterns in Japanese seem to be based on something like an extremely formal, overly polite court scholar type in a period drama, or something - her delivery, rhythm, and word choice are all very 'old' compared to the other characters in the game, even moreso than when, say, the archons are going full godly speech mode.

I've heard she has a very prominent and smug "Desu wa", which would track with having Keigo style speech, but haven't gotten there to confirm myself.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I got dendro MC to 6/8/9 talents and c2 on Saturday and I've been using them as my only dendro. I think it's fair to say they aren't very good. The hydro infused burst is the best for the hugely increased AOE but it doesn't proc very often. Usually I'm wondering if it works at all, dendro numbers where? A little dendro plip here and there maybe.

Also dendro MC is downright unsatisfying to play. The skill is slow, boring, and has issues hitting enemies on slightly different elevations. The burst is pretty much all there is and the passive EM ramp-up isn't meaningful because it starts tiny and by the time it maxes out let's be honest 60 EM is not a lot. Who cares? :raise:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

it feels like Bloom and Burning just suck? My Dendro MC is 100% all about proc'ing Quicken/Aggravate

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hah, Dendro slimes that are underground proc bloom and just spout bombs out constantly when it's raining.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sanctum posted:

I got dendro MC to 6/8/9 talents and c2 on Saturday and I've been using them as my only dendro. I think it's fair to say they aren't very good. The hydro infused burst is the best for the hugely increased AOE but it doesn't proc very often. Usually I'm wondering if it works at all, dendro numbers where? A little dendro plip here and there maybe.

Also dendro MC is downright unsatisfying to play. The skill is slow, boring, and has issues hitting enemies on slightly different elevations. The burst is pretty much all there is and the passive EM ramp-up isn't meaningful because it starts tiny and by the time it maxes out let's be honest 60 EM is not a lot. Who cares? :raise:

Dendro MC's damage isn't very good but what they are good at is applying dendro so other characters can proc reactions (especially quicken, aggravate, and hyperbloom). Apparently they're currently the best character in the game for applying dendro to fuel reactions, which is why they're getting a lot of use in dendro reaction teams right now.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Best character basically means they have highest off field uptime and a bit of utility eventually with C6. They are mostly there to activate quicken (electro mushroom is best mushroom as well).

The issue with dendro at the moment is the existing dendro characters aren't especially good. There's no one close to yelan/xingqiu/fischl/bennett/zhongli/kazuha in terms of general usefulness and no payoffs like Ayaka or xiangling. Bloom isnt any worse than overload and quicken is very strong, but dendro units arent strong enough yet to compete. A dendro version of any of the above characters would be top tier.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
So I’ve recently started playing this game and I’m about at the point where I hit soft pity for the event character wishes.

Really torn between the two 5*’s to shoot for, they both look cool. Anyone got a favourite from them?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Real Cool Catfish posted:

So I’ve recently started playing this game and I’m about at the point where I hit soft pity for the event character wishes.

Really torn between the two 5*’s to shoot for, they both look cool. Anyone got a favourite from them?

Zhongli by a country mile. It's not even close. Zhongli is one of the single strongest characters you could get. His shield is ridiculously strong, has a res shred, and he's easy to build and works with pretty much any combination of characters imaginable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

100% Zhongli, he's extremely powerful and also just a really comfy character to have available

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Another vote for Zhongli. There is no question. I've been playing the game since the start and there is no character that's been in my party more. It's not a stretch to say he's the best character in the game, but he's not a DPS, even if I can rain down meteors that do 80k

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
Zhongli isn’t necessarily the strongest character in the game, but almost any team becomes immediately better when he’s in it. Kazuha is the only other character that comes close to his utility.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
You already have a 4 star dendro bow girl you'll get for free and might pull more copies of her while going for your 5 star. So go for Zhongli unless you're just in love with bow boy's aesthetic. You can fit him into almost any team, and he's a cool dude.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Zhongli might feel kind of bad to get as a very early 5* because what he does is fundamentally uninteresting and he doesnt really deal damage. But he's used a lot by almost everyone who owns him regardless of how big their roster is.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Excelzior posted:

it feels like Bloom and Burning just suck? My Dendro MC is 100% all about proc'ing Quicken/Aggravate

Bloom is probably going to be better once we start getting characters designed with it in mind, like Nilou; Quicken teams feel good just bc it feels like half of Inazuma was one giant seed (heh) for Dendro :v:

Burning tho got nerfed in the beta pretty heavily which has people wondering if there's a payoff in the pipe we just don't know yet that wouldve made it busted or if they were just afraid and played it (too) safe

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Collei isn't super good but she does feel a lot better when you get her 4th ascension passive so the burst actually has a less terrible uptime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Coolness Averted posted:

You already have a 4 star dendro bow girl you'll get for free and might pull more copies of her while going for your 5 star. So go for Zhongli unless you're just in love with bow boy's aesthetic. You can fit him into almost any team, and he's a cool dude.

osmanthus wine tastes the same as I remember...

Mix. posted:

Bloom is probably going to be better once we start getting characters designed with it in mind, like Nilou; Quicken teams feel good just bc it feels like half of Inazuma was one giant seed (heh) for Dendro :v:

Burning tho got nerfed in the beta pretty heavily which has people wondering if there's a payoff in the pipe we just don't know yet that wouldve made it busted or if they were just afraid and played it (too) safe

interesting and I hope it pays off because right now I definitely keep my Pyros in the reverse Melt team instead

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 29, 2022