Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I like the part where you chop down a tree and it knocks over other trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

the only thing i want is for the world difficulty not to impact the starter island. just let me have my huge idyllic farm

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Inzombiac posted:

I like the part where you chop down a tree and it knocks over other trees.

The only thing better than this is when it knocks down a tree you can't cut with your current axe.

The only thing better than THAT is when a tree falls down onto an enemy and squishes them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jabarto posted:

It's not tone policing to point out that "the devs are my slaves!" Is not a thing anyone is saying. And if you're upset about labor standards, that's a systemic issue in the industry that the end user has no control over. The whole "entitled gamers" shtick is as bullshit as it was a decade ago and if that's what you're focusing on then you're completely missing the broader issue.

"Devs are lazy and greedy" is quite literally something a shithead has been saying and a goon here has been agreeing with. I don't even know what the hell you're standing for, just that ironically you're the only one here coming off as a dude trying to be the "reasonable adult."

Some of my favorite games still in active development get one or two updates a year, some of them get monthly updates. They're all good in my book; my entire point here is that devs deserve to set their work pace without having assholes poo poo on their character, especially since nowadays the industry is still struggling to deal with crunch. Good on you for being consistent and professional in your work but I care more about people treating each other well instead of endlessly pushing for the next big video game hit.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cool, we care about different things.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

wit posted:

. The real injustice is logs from felled trees crushing you.

No the real injustice is that armor mitigates collision damage from trees

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

PittTheElder posted:

No the real injustice is that armor mitigates collision damage from trees

I dropped so many trees on that Lox...

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Jabarto posted:

That was my second ever death. First was setting myself on fire walking out of my cabin because I built a campfire too close to the door.

One of my earliest with my mate was bringing our fire inside and trying to asphyxiate ourselves. That blew our minds.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

pik_d posted:

The only thing better than THAT is when a tree falls down onto an enemy and squishes them.

Watching dwarves getting clobbered by trees is almost unbelievably satisfying.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the only thing i want is for the world difficulty not to impact the starter island. just let me have my huge idyllic farm

this is why you gotta find a small island and workbench the whole thing

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Speaking of, if anyone wants an interesting-looking and medium-sized starter island, "Guntriggah" is pretty cool.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Reik posted:

this is why you gotta find a small island and workbench the whole thing

yeah but that's not the aesthetic

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah but that's not the aesthetic

Campfires work the same way as benches for preventing spawns, and so do wards iirc

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

concise posted:

Campfires work the same way as benches for preventing spawns, and so do wards iirc
yeah but not invasions, eventually what happens is as you progress things like fields with only fences will get blown through by the late game invasions

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah but not invasions, eventually what happens is as you progress things like fields with only fences will get blown through by the late game invasions

We're having that problem with early game invasions right now. Literally 30 freaking dwarves at a time. Several brutes and shamans. It sucks.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Kortel posted:

We're having that problem with early game invasions right now. Literally 30 freaking dwarves at a time. Several brutes and shamans. It sucks.

How many people are on your server?

Anyway the solution is get an Atgeir and upgrade it as much as possible.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Or not killing any bosses until you have iron

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

nelson posted:

How many people are on your server?

Anyway the solution is get an Atgeir and upgrade it as much as possible.

Total player count is 6. Total online: me.
We're going to be clearing Ancient next just to get more iron access. We only brought 200 migrating to the new map generation.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

This is how I ended up with my tendency to build bases on small islands and live a Boat Lifestyle. It won't spawn invasions in the water so if the island sides are steep, and the ocean is water is deep, you're completely safe.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I've found that my best defense against an invasion wrecking my place, is to make a loving beeline out the gate the moment it starts, and fighting the enemy outside my walls. Monsters won't break my stuff when they're busy chasing me.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nordick posted:

I've found that my best defense against an invasion wrecking my place, is to make a loving beeline out the gate the moment it starts, and fighting the enemy outside my walls. Monsters won't break my stuff when they're busy chasing me.

This has never worked for me. Some mobs inevitably get stuck amongst various base buildings (especially fences) and proceed to start wrecking them. Or they aggro livestock.

The only thing that has worked for me is to dig a deep trench around the entire perimeter, and leave a single entrance as a chokepoint. Then you can fight everything there (and the trolls will helpfully clubber their own allies and knock them into the trench while trying to attack you - helps even the numbers).

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Slow News Day posted:

This has never worked for me. Some mobs inevitably get stuck amongst various base buildings (especially fences) and proceed to start wrecking them.
I wonder what makes the difference, then. For me the invaders always spawn outside the perimeter palisade, and I just barge out and start fighting them before any make it in.* :shrug:
Just a couple times a troll has taken out a palisade section or two because I was slow to react, otherwise I've never had invasions cause any significant damage to my stuff.
I don't keep any livestock, so maybe it's because the enemies only have me to aggro on?

*: Drakes being the exception, but they don't cause a whole lot of structural damage spitting ice at me.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 14, 2022

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
You might just have enough Player Base structures inside your walls.

Full list of spawn suppressing structures:
https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Player_base

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to getting in game for some proper screenshots. Stupid mods were preventing the game from starting.

Here's my main project that I spent waaaay too long on. It took so long that the my play group lost interest and we never actually used this as a functional base. No mods or dev commands while I was building this.

The compound

Main castle and out buildings

Pagoda as seen from a walkway on the castle

Castle during early framing

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
I'm really starting to get tired of having to play around the way this game decides what clips through what.

See that little spot of rock peaking out from behind that wood wall? Yeah, it shouldn't loving exist. I thought either the wood or the rock wall was misplaced, but that's actually not the case, because I (using PlanBuild) made a direct clone of the segment underneath it and placed it in that spot, and it still did that. I have no idea how that's even possible. Now my choices are to either accept that I'll have an ugly piece that I'll have to cover up, move the wood out to compensate, or rebuild the entire wall segment to match its new width. It's not that big of a deal for the spot pictured, but this is far from the first time I've had to deal with this problem. Anybody happen to know what causes this issue or how to avoid it in the future?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Have you tried deleting and rebuilding the stone piece?

They seem to have several slightly different models that get randomly chosen when you build.

Also try spinning it 180 degrees if just rebuilding doesn't work.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Have you tried deleting and rebuilding the stone piece?

They seem to have several slightly different models that get randomly chosen when you build.

Also try spinning it 180 degrees if just rebuilding doesn't work.

I'd tried deleting and re-placing, but not spinning it 180 degrees, which worked! Thanks!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I've become a hoarder. Been getting ready for mistlands and I have more sausages and lox pies than a doomsday pepper.

I just know there's going to be exactly one item from the old regions that's going to be essential to everything and I'll have like five of it. There's no way anybody has more chains than they want, those loving wraiths never spawn for me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
i'm really hoping they add the ability to craft chains for Mistlands. It always felt like you should be able to at the Artisan table.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's weird because I could swear that I had gotten some at some point from the stuff you dig out for iron, but as far as I can tell that can't happen.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

It's weird because I could swear that I had gotten some at some point from the stuff you dig out for iron, but as far as I can tell that can't happen.

It can spawn in chests inside the crypts which might be it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

thespaceinvader posted:

i'm really hoping they add the ability to craft chains for Mistlands. It always felt like you should be able to at the Artisan table.

I doubt it, it's part of their weird hard on for the swamp and wanting you to spend as much time there as possible

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Craftable chains is the one mod I never felt bad about using.

I ain't got time to crawl through 50 dungeons.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I doubt it, it's part of their weird hard on for the swamp and wanting you to spend as much time there as possible

Speaking of dumb poo poo the devs apparently really want you to do, is there any good replacement/improvement for fishing? Would be very nice to be able to craft fish farms and just plunk them down in the pools where fish spawn. As far as I can tell nobody has really come up with a good terrain mod/build system to beach them automatically either.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

PittTheElder posted:

Speaking of dumb poo poo the devs apparently really want you to do, is there any good replacement/improvement for fishing? Would be very nice to be able to craft fish farms and just plunk them down in the pools where fish spawn. As far as I can tell nobody has really come up with a good terrain mod/build system to beach them automatically either.

Ignore it because it's unnecessary you can get perfectly good lategame food without it.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

They are revamping fishing at least a little bit with the next expansion, don't know about fish traps but it might be possible since they are adding traps for use on land in Mistlands https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/6128850732742902908

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Ignore it because it's unnecessary you can get perfectly good lategame food without it.

Yeah that's what I've done in the past, but it seems like getting fish wraps into the diet would simplify the supply chain as it were.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One thing I'd want in a update is the stoneworking table to not be required to be within x distance of your projects, it's weird putting it down, picking it up, putting it back down for every bit of road or wall you are making.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t mind it so much for buildings but for roads it’s certainly busywork. It’s a ground texture, who cares what it’s made out of once you “remember” how to use stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Workbenches on wheels would be a nice mid to late game upgrade.