Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Mox of Kher Keep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Faded Lotus - 0

Etbt w/3 charge counters on it

T, remove a charge counter: add C

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Morning bud
Daybound

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

give head or get dead posted:

Morning bud
Daybound

This would actually be a pretty cool design, albeit extremely punishing in slower formats where most decks don't have a turn one play.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

So people like those $5 clear deck boxes posted a few pages back? What are their main selling points, inexpensive and good enough?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

big cummers ONLY posted:

So people like those $5 clear deck boxes posted a few pages back? What are their main selling points, inexpensive and good enough?

Precisely

E:

You can also get these [possibly] even shittier ones at $2.50 a piece:

https://www.dacardworld.com/supplies/bcw-clear-deck-keeper

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 28, 2022

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

big cummers ONLY posted:

I've been using 3 of them for 20+ years, so "practically indestructible" is another selling point

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://mtgcommander.net/index.php/2022/08/29/2022-august-rc-quarterly-update/

Update from the RC.

Added three new people to the CAG, no bans. But considering banning Dockside and not Thoracle.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jiro posted:

https://mtgcommander.net/index.php/2022/08/29/2022-august-rc-quarterly-update/

Update from the RC.

Added three new people to the CAG, no bans. But considering banning Dockside and not Thoracle.

Rebell on the Committee kicks rear end, glad to see her there.

Tough to see them considering pulling the trigger on Dockside, but I’m glad they acknowledge Oracle isn’t a big problem.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to see Dockside and Thoracle gone, not because of brokenness though. They really do warp the general meta and expectations of cEDH to an unpleasant degree and I wouldn't be sad to see them go.

It's not gonna happen because the RC largely doesn't concern themselves with cEDH though (though they have been more open minded about it and did ban Flash).

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Well guess I'm glad I didn't pick up a dockside yet. Thoracle isn't the worst thing but it is kind of boring.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Framboise posted:

I'd like to see Dockside and Thoracle gone, not because of brokenness though. They really do warp the general meta and expectations of cEDH to an unpleasant degree and I wouldn't be sad to see them go.

It's not gonna happen because the RC largely doesn't concern themselves with cEDH though (though they have been more open minded about it and did ban Flash).

I only play CEDH and I don’t think either card is ban worthy tbh. I think their point in the article about power vs impact is spot on. They’re powerful and in a lot of decks, but so are the free counter spells, rhystic, remora, crypt, the good 0 mana rocks and tons of other stuff people don’t really blink an eye at.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Rebell kicks rear end and having her on the CAG is a good sign imo.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I wouldn't mind if they banned Dockside, but only for financial reasons. I'd rather they reprint it into the ground, but it doesn't look like that will ever happen.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I wouldn't mind if they banned Dockside, but only for financial reasons. I'd rather they reprint it into the ground, but it doesn't look like that will ever happen.

There are cards that are as popular/powerful as Dockside the cost the same amount or more, no? I agree they should print the poo poo out of it (and all the other staples that are expensive!) but if they start banning expensive cards we’re gonna be left with some real crap lol.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If they ban dockside after I spent a bunch of money on the deck that had it but not having been able to play with it because my playgroup imploded I'm going to be slightly salty.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Kurieg posted:

If they ban dockside after I spent a bunch of money on the deck that had it but not having been able to play with it because my playgroup imploded I'm going to be slightly salty.

Well, at least they gave you notice that they’re thinking about it. I might liquidate my two real ones and replace them with proxies.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Framboise posted:

This is correct. Thoracle does unhealthy things to the format at large and shifts the meta in a way that squeezes out more interesting decks. It doesn't have an oppressive winrate because the other decks at the top of the meta can handle it, but I'd like to see the format without it for a while.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Make jank competitive and the more accepted form of EDH.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

fadam posted:

There are cards that are as popular/powerful as Dockside the cost the same amount or more, no? I agree they should print the poo poo out of it (and all the other staples that are expensive!) but if they start banning expensive cards we’re gonna be left with some real crap lol.

Oh, I know we shouldn't actually ban cards because they're expensive, I'm just personally annoyed that new format staples are so expensive when there's no reason for them to be.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Framboise posted:

cEDH players swore on a stack of bibles that all they needed was the Flash ban. Turns out they were wrong, as they often are.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Magnetic North posted:

cEDH players swore on a stack of bibles that all they needed was the Flash ban. Turns out they were wrong, as they often are.

They did not.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Flash was before my time, was it even a casual card at all?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

fadam posted:

No, nobody playing flash was doing anything less than a protean hulk combo that I was ever aware of. In part because flash was not cheap.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Chakan posted:

No, nobody playing flash was doing anything less than a protean hulk combo that I was ever aware of. In part because flash was not cheap.

Correct. The brief stint in 60-card viability drove up the price of Flash and the effect wasn't good enough to warrant using it with any other card. Casual Flash did not exist in any notable way.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Jiro posted:

Make jank competitive and the more accepted form of EDH.

Combat damage kills only, the way Richard Garfield intended EDH to be played.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Combat damage kills only, the way Richard Garfield intended EDH to be played.

30 life, 12 Commander damage has done a lot of lifting for aggressive strategies in Conquest.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Magnetic North posted:

I would love it if you would just stop opining about cEDH, because you're very consistently wrong about it.

We all understand you don't like cEDH. No one is expecting you to play it, and no one is forcing you to, but you still deem it necessary to keep inserting yourself in the conversation for some reason when you have no context for the matter at hand.

fadam posted:

Not that I ever saw. It was always just a way to power out and kill a Protean Hulk in the most efficient way possible.

It was insanely toxic though-- like, a lot of people say that cEDH is a format that ends by turn 4 and stuff and that's honestly not true anymore, but it wasn't that uncommon at all around that time, because you could just slam Flash down on turn 1-2 and just win the game while people were limited on interaction since they were busy setting up their manabases. There's a very good reason why it's banned, because unlike Dockside or Thoracle, it was very, very busted.

Dockside and Thoracle aren't that busted, but they're boring and lead to a lot of decks including them because it wouldn't make sense not to, and lead to a lot of interesting, interactive games ending abruptly. Like I was watching a cEDH gameplay video a few days ago (don't remember which. from Play to Win maybe?), and the game was interesting and had a lot going on! Then it just stopped because Thoracle Consultation got played and it didn't get stopped.

While I don't think Thoracle's so busted it should be banned for that reason, it does really take a lot of risk out of the combo. At least with Labman you needed a way to draw a card to win and there's not much they can do if you nuke the dude before that. It just doesn't make for interesting games.

Toshimo posted:

30 life, 12 Commander damage has done a lot of lifting for aggressive strategies in Conquest.

12 commander damage seems kinda low to me. Commanders like Pako or Ishai can hit that at a pretty alarming pace. Wouldn't be bothered about 30 life though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Framboise posted:

12 commander damage seems kinda low to me. Commanders like Pako or Ishai can hit that at a pretty alarming pace. Wouldn't be bothered about 30 life though.

I'm fine with turning the knob to where it fits, but 21 clearly ain't it. Do some testing (not you, the RC/CAG). Maybe 15. Just get back to it being relevant.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

I'm fine with turning the knob to where it fits, but 21 clearly ain't it. Do some testing (not you, the RC/CAG). Maybe 15. Just get back to it being relevant.

I do agree. Needing to churn out 63 damage with the same creature to win is rough.

36 feels way too low though. I'd windmill slam Jeska/Ishai on the table, but load it with protection and pump spells. Ishai would need just 4 +1/+1 counters (or 1 and a pump spell) to swing for lethal with Jeska.

suddenly vaguely interested in Conquest. Shame no one around here plays it afaik.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Framboise posted:

You can play Pako as a commander but Pako + Haldan are banned as commanders. You can play him as Gruul but not Temur.

Ishai is fine, but it's a lot less oppressive when you ban most of the 0 cost artifacts so people tend to not dump their hand and cycle through as much.

And it forces people to run creature control, because, yes, you can just get punched out of the game. At the same time, if you've demonstrated an ability to deal 12 commander damage, your commander is dangerous and other people will take note, and blow it up.

30 vs 40 life makes a big difference in being able to randomly eat life loss from cards and makes go-wide strategies a lot more viable.

It's really just a better format competitive format than cEDH.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

pseudanonymous posted:

You can play Pako as a commander but Pako + Haldan are banned as commanders. You can play him as Gruul but not Temur.

Ishai is fine, but it's a lot less oppressive when you ban most of the 0 cost artifacts so people tend to not dump their hand and cycle through as much.

And it forces people to run creature control, because, yes, you can just get punched out of the game. At the same time, if you've demonstrated an ability to deal 12 commander damage, your commander is dangerous and other people will take note, and blow it up.

30 vs 40 life makes a big difference in being able to randomly eat life loss from cards and makes go-wide strategies a lot more viable.

It's really just a better format competitive format than cEDH.

Hm. What about combos? Are those still viable, or does Conquest lean more on commander damage/combat damage?

Are burn decks viable, out of curiosity?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Framboise posted:

Hm. What about combos? Are those still viable, or does Conquest lean more on commander damage/combat damage?

There are combos, but they are harder to pull off, so it's a decent balance. I actually, think the old Abzan boonweaver/ pattern is berserkly strong and no-one has figured it out yet.

Without the Moxen and the wheels and the ability to tutor up combo pieces it's harder to get the pieces into your hand, and you can't eat your life total for card draw as safely.

I think you could do burn, especially if it's in the guttersnipe / cantrip style of burn.

The truth is pretty much anything is viable because the stupidest cards in EDH are banned, which does a lot to lower the spread in card utility, which means you have to be a lot less worried about someone having their deck be eight tutors to get two cards and ways to draw through the chaff, then winning the game out of nowhere.

The current format boogeymans are Breach and Malcom/Kediss.

The other nice thing is the people run conquest play conquest a lot and talk to all conquest players a lot, so the format is actively maintained (it's also very proxy friendly, aka the expectation is that you will use proxies).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Framboise posted:

Among other things, the last major event I see published had, in T16:

• Professor Onyx combo
  • Malcolm/Kediss combo
  • Purphuros
  • Creatureless Chandra

And more, in addition to a bunch of aggro.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Hm, that is kinda nifty. I am interested but think my general focus will remain on cEDH simply because I know it way better and it's what I can play locally. That being said, I might dip my feet in sometime.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Framboise posted:

Hm, that is kinda nifty. I am interested but think my general focus will remain on cEDH simply because I know it way better and it's what I can play locally. That being said, I might dip my feet in sometime.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/ojuYhcnof0-bphcSZ-VHig

That's an attempt at an Ishai/Kediss equipment deck I've been toying with.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

What is up with commander damage as a format rule, anyway? On the rare occassions where we've played commander, we ignore it because we don't build our decks around that wincon and it is annoying to track. I have to assume there's a good reason it is baked into the format though?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

big cummers ONLY posted:

What is up with commander damage as a format rule, anyway? On the rare occassions where we've played commander, we ignore it because we don't build our decks around that wincon and it is annoying to track. I have to assume there's a good reason it is baked into the format though?

It's not that hard to gain near infinite amounts of life. Commander damage means there's always a way to kill someone who is doing that. It used to be a lot more common that players would have 9 million life.

It also used to be a lot .... worse in terms of play of a format, so voltron decks were a lot more threatening, it wasn't that uncommon for someone to win the game by killing 3 other people off with 21 commander damage each.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still wanna try my new Rebbec deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

It's not that hard to gain near infinite amounts of life. Commander damage means there's always a way to kill someone who is doing that. It used to be a lot more common that players would have 9 million life.

This is an excellent reason, lol. I guess it's more elegant than an arbitrary life cap or something