Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Where does rattan come in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I assume that's more of a Gender Studies discipline.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Also underwater basket weaving is a real thing and probably very hard to do (it's the basket that goes underwater, not the weaver; the water keeps the woven material pliable and then when the completed basket dries it shrinks slightly, producing a tighter and sturdier weave).

Yes, the pictures that accompanied the first publication of that joke sometime back in the actual 1950s when it was some weird hipster lingo were basically an anthropology outing trying to reproduce a traditional native practice of the area.

Yes, if someone's making a joke about how all the kids these days are studying underwater basketweaving, the joke is probably older than they are.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
One of the "bullshit" degrees I remember people complaining about when I was a kid was Marine Biology.

And sure, it makes sense if you think Marine Biology is 100% training dolphins to jump through hoops as a circus act.

But in terms of practicality, do these people think that fish grow on trees or something?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
If someone literally says "underwater basket weaving" reply straightfaced that it's more a trade school thing.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I did not know that about the underwater basket weaving and now that is awesome.

Also, they ignore that having a degree of any sort opens their doors to a lot of different jobs that just require a degree (which shows the general ability to work with others and complete different tasks on time).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

One of the "bullshit" degrees I remember people complaining about when I was a kid was Marine Biology.

And sure, it makes sense if you think Marine Biology is 100% training dolphins to jump through hoops as a circus act.

But in terms of practicality, do these people think that fish grow on trees or something?

Oh please, what benefit could we glean from studying and protecting the delicate ecosystems of our planet's waterways?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"God gave us dominion over the earth, so that means we have free reign to do whatever we want" is an actual argument I've heard before.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Marine biology is useless, they keep shouting "there's plastic in all the fish!" and "the oceans are acidifying!" and yet nobody does anything about it. Conjectural discipline much :smug:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

God comes down like the Muppet Babies nanny all "ho ho ho, silly Mankind, you've killed everything again! No matter!" *whirls around, new plants and animals appear ready to be tortured and murdered by humans* "Now behave!" *winks*

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It really shows that capitalism's greatest cheerleaders don't actually believe any of the bullshit they sell. If they were really into a "free" market, then they'd be happy about a market for underwater basket weavers opening up, as you said.

And of course, I think some of it is a generational gap that probably can't be crossed. When a lot of Boomers think of "useful work", they're thinking in terms of working with your hands. The idea that an artist labors to create a work of art, even if it isn't traditional labor, doesn't seem to ever cross their minds.

Same goes for musicians, actors and athletes who bust their loving asses for the money they make but most people view them as getting paid to do nothing.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"God gave us dominion over the earth, so that means we have free reign to do whatever we want" is an actual argument I've heard before.

Or alternatively "to believe that man could destroy the world that God created is ridiculous!"

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Same goes for musicians, actors and athletes who bust their loving asses for the money they make but most people view them as getting paid to do nothing.

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
Money for nothin' and your chicks for free

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

And sure, it makes sense if you think

I'm gonna stop you right there, the whole point is that thinking is bad. You're just supposed to do and believe whatever Exxon tells you to.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Wife and I sat next to a table with an older lady ranting LOUDLY about the loan forgiveness. Her son was quietly trying to offer counterpoints but sounded so defeated.

At one point she mentioned that instead of taking out loans, students should just take longer to graduate and take fewer courses over that length of time while they work. She mentioned that's what she did: "I worked full time, and then went to school full time, and I graduated in 7 years!" :psyduck:

Also, basket weaving is passe now. It's all women's studies as the degree punching bag of choice. :)

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Chieves posted:

"I worked full time, and then went to school full time, and I graduated in 7 years!" :psyduck:

I get so exhausted rebuffing this argument. I am one of those people who worked full time and went to school full time. I was in college from 2005 to 2009, was making (at the highest) $13/hr working in retail, or about $25k/yr. I went to an in-state public college. My income only barely covered my direct living expenses (rent, food, gas, insurance, etc.) so my tuition was100% paid with student loans. Overall, I owed right around $35k, which I've since paid off.

In contrast, my zoomer sister is currently in school, also at a public in-state college, works two jobs, has income from worker's comp (our dad died in a work accident in 2019), and will still be in the hole for well into $100K in student loans for just a bachelor's degree when it's all said and done. Tuition for the same degree I earned in 2009 has tripled in the time since.

The idea of bootstrapping your way into a four-year degree debt-free is literally impossible now. If anyone tries to argue otherwise I assume that they a. haven't taken a college class in 20 years, b. have generational wealth and didn't have to even think about loans, c. are a bad-faith chud, or d. all of the above.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
"They can join the Military and earn their useless degree!"

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

PJOmega posted:

Or alternatively "to believe that man could destroy the world that God created is ridiculous!"

"These are the End Times, God will soon create a new heaven and a new Earth, so worrying about the environment is Satanism."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

These people DO know that the funding for this is not from their taxes and instead is through enforcing the 15% minimum corporate tax, right? RIGHT?

No, of course they don't.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BiggerBoat posted:

These people DO know that the funding for this is not from their taxes and instead is through enforcing the 15% minimum corporate tax, right? RIGHT?

Nah, they know because "Biden is forcing good American companies to go overseas with his ridiculous taxes"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Medullah posted:

Nah, they know because "Biden is forcing good American companies to go overseas with his ridiculous taxes"

Or they see the words "tax" "corporation" "minimum" and think Biden is trying to destroy "small business owners of America."

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Where are the tax haters when we spend a trillion dollars on the military to build non functioning aircraft? These people are so fuckin dense.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Invalid Validation posted:

Where are the tax haters when we spend a trillion dollars on the military to build non functioning aircraft? These people are so fuckin dense.

The same people who say that military spending got us out of the Depression but government spending is bad for the economy.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Freedom isn't free :clint:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

They’re complaining about Ukraine aid just not the defense industry lol

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BiggerBoat posted:

They'll just say they are indirectly paying for it by forcing businesses to raise prices, reinforced by the fact that chud businesses will probably tack on some "Student Loan Forgiveness Surcharge" on their invoices to take advantage of it, like they did with the ACA.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I don't think that's the argument my uncle thinks it is

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

Medullah posted:

Aside from that yes medical care should be free didn't they make it so you specifically can't bankruptcy away student loans in the us? Like worst comes to the worst you can get rid of medical debt via bankruptcy.

Also your uncle would be whining about forgiving medical debt if biden were doing that

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Aside from that yes medical care should be free didn't they make it so you specifically can't bankruptcy away student loans in the us? Like worst comes to the worst you can get rid of medical debt via bankruptcy.

Also your uncle would be whining about forgiving medical debt if biden were doing that

It's even better when they use car loans and mortgages as things that should be forgiven instead. Like, mass transit and affordable housing aside, using as your example loans that require a credit score, income verification, can be cleared with bankruptcy, and are generally not given to 17 year olds is probably not your best bet my dude.

And yeah, 100% if you were to be like "yeah, lets do that, forgive the medical debt!" they'd suddenly change to something else because they're not actually interested in doing anything about medical debt.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Let's not forget the fact that to them, it's a zero sum game.
If you forgive one type of debt, you're not allowed to forgive the others.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

“But businesses just pass on tax increases through higher prices”

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

While ignoring the fact they’ll just raise prices regardless of wage stagnation. IE real world example: my car insurance increases every year unless I change companies.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Medullah posted:

I hope they do.
But they'd probably still let the insurance companies claim it instead of the patents. (and the insurance companies should be put against a wall)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Cocaine? COCAINE?!

At least they could have said legal weed. But cocaine?

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Golbez posted:

Cocaine? COCAINE?!

At least they could have said legal weed. But cocaine?

I'm surprised they didn't say "Members Only jacket" to go along with the "cocaine" and "cable tv"

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
those student debtors probably aslo have a refrigerator

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

That person literally does not understand how money works for anyone other than them, and probably also not even how it works for them. If you forego all nice things in your life it might come out to saving equivalent to one, maybe two rent checks a year. And it won't make a loving dent in student loans.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

disposablewords posted:

That person literally does not understand how money works for anyone other than them, and probably also not even how it works for them. If you forego all nice things in your life it might come out to saving equivalent to one, maybe two rent checks a year. And it won't make a loving dent in student loans.

I would suspect anyone who hasn't been to college in the past decade or so has no idea what student loans are like these days and think people are complaining about paying back $15k and could just save for a year and that's all it'd take

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

National defense is in the constitution is the refrain.

Also, for fun ask them if they are willing to take no tax deductions cause you don't want to pay for their house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Panfilo posted:

They'll just say they are indirectly paying for it by forcing businesses to raise prices, reinforced by the fact that chud businesses will probably tack on some "Student Loan Forgiveness Surcharge" on their invoices to take advantage of it, like they did with the ACA.

I'm not a huge fan of the ACA and have become increasingly frustrated with every piece of Democratic legislation that's even slightly progressive being labeled with how "it's a good start". See also: the most recent student loan EO.

But, having said that, it was a real life changer for me when I was unemployed and even self employed. Something like $115 a month and the copays and RX costs were manageable and surprisingly low.

morothar posted:

“But businesses just pass on tax increases through higher prices”

They never seem to pass on savings they get from tax cuts and poo poo. The slavish devotion to the Job Creators of this country frustrate me no end