Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which August 16th release are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince [PC, Switch] – August 16 12 21.82%
Rollerdrome [PC, PS5, PS4] – August 16 31 56.36%
Tribes of Midgard [XSX, XBO, Switch] – August 16 5 9.09%
Way of the Hunter [PC, PS5, XSX] – August 16 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gripweed posted:

If enough people buy that Harry Potter game maybe we'll get a video game version of Rowling's new book

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1563527471815094272?s=20&t=VqXiWdoyWFOAyt2AQgx1nQ

Ok this is epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Just a born loser, that Jo

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
She is beyond parody

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

she mad

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

please don't put in the presses that she got mad

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
write what you know, they said

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There's a 1-2 player story/campaign/adventure tabletop game called RoboMon being crowdfunded that is just pokemon, from art to music to style to presentation, it's almost silly how close it is lol

https://gamefound.com/projects/gabe-barrett/robomon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLsC8F5bD2g

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 29, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gripweed posted:

If enough people buy that Harry Potter game maybe we'll get a video game version of Rowling's new book

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1563527471815094272?s=20&t=VqXiWdoyWFOAyt2AQgx1nQ

a truly remarkable speedrun from "beloved children's author" to "social pariah laughingstock"

having more than a million dollars in your bank account produces a staggering amount of brainrot

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why does she bother using a pseudonym when everyone knows it's her

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

FirstAidKite posted:

There's a 1-2 player story/campaign/adventure tabletop game called RoboMon being crowdfunded that is just pokemon, from art to music to style to presentation, it's almost silly how close it is lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLsC8F5bD2g

Honestly this is less blatant than Nexomon still.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Some authors just like doing that. Stephen King published several Richard Bachman books after he was "outed", Daniel Handler insists that he is merely Lemony Snicket's "agent", etc.

Plus, since the first one was published under Robert Galbraith, she could just want to keep things consistent. Or maybe it's a secret tribute to one of the inventors of conversion therapy, who knows.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 29, 2022

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I don't wanna wade through the switch thread, was the Splatoon test this weekend cool and fun?

rox
Sep 7, 2016

frantically scribbling on my corkboard with all strings leading to 'the galbraith connection''

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

RoboPon erasure smh

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

External Organs posted:

I don't wanna wade through the switch thread, was the Splatoon test this weekend cool and fun?

Yes, it was very good.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
If random encounters are bad, why are FF7,FF8 and FF9 so very very good??

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Sakurazuka posted:

When the first one was released they kept it a secret. I don't want to be mean, but I assume they thought it would get rave reviews and huge sales, and then they would triumphantly announce that it was JK Rowling the whole time! You thought this exciting new voice in detective fiction was a man, but really it was the lady who wrote all those children's books!

But the book got middling reviews and sales that were decent for an unknown author but nothing amazing. So after a couple weeks they were like "oh yeah that was JK Rowling the whole time please buy it"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

VideoGames posted:

If random encounters are bad, why are FF7,FF8 and FF9 so very very good??

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

FirstAidKite posted:

Every time I see art from a Pokemon clone I get more impressed with the monster designs in Pokemon.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Proof FFVIII is the best FF, yes. It also has amazing random encounters ;)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Random encounters are better than enemy models walking around on the map

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like any and all JRPGs.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

i like seein the pokemon walk around like in arceus and lets go :3

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

cheetah7071 posted:

Enemies walking around the map would probably be a lot better if maps were designed with that in mind.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If your random encounter doesn't require more input than holding Attack, delete it from your game

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

wrong, this is the absolute bare minimum penance any game devs with rng battles can do to begin to crawl their way out of their circle of hell.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

If your random encounter doesn't require more input than holding Attack, delete it from your game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jay Rust posted:

sounds like xenoblade 3 is the goty then

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

PS1 FF bestiaries and thus, random encounters are unmatched to this day. No one else has gotten the ratio of memorable cool/weird/badass/funny monsters just right and also as a bonus they have lovingly crafted movesets for all the buggers

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Without random encojunters there'd be no monster house in FF7 so random encounters are good

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

I said come in! posted:

Yes, it was very good.

:hellyeah:

I'm probably gonna buy it. First Splatoon!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

AceOfFlames posted:

Daniel Handler insists that he is merely Lemony Snicket's "agent", etc.

That's actually part of the canon of most of his stories though so it makes more sense than whatever the christ Rowling is doing.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Ffxiv saga continues, read below to learn more:

Now comes the part of my journey where I try to methodically sort out which cutscenes I'm allowed to skip

There are two basic Types of dialogue scenes:
1. Fade to black, HUD disappears, cinematic camera angles, NPCs perform MMO emotes / very rarely unique animations
2. HUD remains, game camera, NPCs perform MMO emotes

Type 1 is nearly always skippable, 2 requires several clicks to get through. 1 has a special subtype which shows up only in the main quest, which adds voiced dialogue and more unique animations

Having now experienced a whole lot of unskipped ffxiv content, I feel confident in my new rules for each kind of quest:

A) Main Scenario
Watch all Type 1, at least try to read most of Type 2

B) Combat Class Quests
At least watch Type 1

C) Crafter / Gatherer Quests
Skip all

D) Hildibrand
Watch all Type 1, read Type 2

E) Everything Else
Skip skip skip. No mercy

I feel fully equipped.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Rarity posted:

Without random encojunters there'd be no monster house in FF7 so random encounters are good

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Treat the big sidestories same as msq imo. Like the raid series and trial series. Except Ivalice, which can go into the no mercy category

Or at least like, start them in msq category up till the first fight to see if it's interesting, to you

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
what if instead of random encounters we had ramen encounters and had a nice conversation over a bowl of ramen

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

PunkBoy posted:

Main story of NEO: The World Ends With You complete. I'll do the extra story and completionist stuff after I take a break. Wonderful game. Loved the vibes, and once the gameplay opened up, I got really into the mechanics and team building.

Now with that and SMT V beaten, I feel a bit better about my backlog. Might start Soul Hackers 2, but seeing the trailer for Homeworld 3 has made me want to try Homeworld Remastered again. RTS's weirdly take a lot out of me when I play them, so I've never gotten far.

I really liked NEO TWEWY(and regular TWEWY) and even though we'll probably never see another one of these I think what we got is really good.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love jRPGs.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

I love RPGs of all sorts, primarily C and J and S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

VideoGames posted:

I love jRPGs.

Have you played more than half an hour of Ayesha yet

If not I have to revoke your JRPG-lpver license. Sorry it's the law.