Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Congrats on being a grandparent! I hope those babies all go on and change lives :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Metis of the Hallway posted:

They belong to a service dog organisation and that's their sharing policy.

It's to keep them from being harassed by the puppyrazzi

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
How do people crate train at the same time as crating their puppy for the night? Teddy basically starts howling as soon as the door closes and for his first more or less cried on and off all night. We tried sleeping nearby but it didn’t seem to make a difference. Today we worked on treating in the crate and he entered and even briefly lay down on his own but once the door closed he went off even with us sitting right there. I don’t want to poison the crate but I’m not sure what else to do with him at night that won’t risk an accident, like tethering him near his bed. But maybe that’s unavoidable and we just have to take him out overnight? He actually didn’t go in his crate which was a nice surprise.

I also know it’s only been one night and things may change fast but my fear is just making the crate too negative a place early on.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

z0331 posted:

How do people crate train at the same time as crating their puppy for the night? Teddy basically starts howling as soon as the door closes and for his first more or less cried on and off all night. We tried sleeping nearby but it didn’t seem to make a difference. Today we worked on treating in the crate and he entered and even briefly lay down on his own but once the door closed he went off even with us sitting right there. I don’t want to poison the crate but I’m not sure what else to do with him at night that won’t risk an accident, like tethering him near his bed. But maybe that’s unavoidable and we just have to take him out overnight? He actually didn’t go in his crate which was a nice surprise.

I also know it’s only been one night and things may change fast but my fear is just making the crate too negative a place early on.

The first few nights of crating are the hardest, it's a big transition for the little guy! A trick I was told was to put a ticking clock in the create with him, but really it depends on the dog. My dog as a kid would whine through the night. My dog now would whine for a few minutes and then go to sleep when he was a puppy.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

z0331 posted:

It has only been one night, and this is a very normal experience.

The best advice I can give is to set a "bedtime routine" and follow it as strictly as possible. End it with something positive, like a treat. Don't use playtime as an incentive; you don't want the dog to get worked up before bedtime.

With Kepler, it took several weeks (and quite a few nights of him howling and crying) to establish the routine to a point where he figured out that he was safe in his crate, and we were eventually going to come back and let him out.

Our routine:
1. Prepare a Kong toy with a few cookies in it, and place it and half a "Dentastick" in his crate. Make sure Kepler sees us doing this, so he knows treats are waiting.

2. Take Kepler out for "potty finale". He stays out until he at least pees. It took a while for him to learn that he can't skip potty time to get his treats quicker.

3. Send Kepler to bed with a command (we use "bedtime!"). Now he runs in there on his own anyway.

4. Turn out all the lights in the house, aside from a couple of nightlights.

5. Sit on the sofa in the crate room and watch an episode of TV. We try to keep it to things that are light-hearted and not too loud.

6. Sneak upstairs individually, a few minutes apart. This was a challenge for a while, but now we can casually walk upstairs after turning off the TV, and things are fine.

Over a year and a half later, we're still using this routine. Every. Single. Night. But it works, Kepler runs into his crate at bedtime, and he hasn't had a nighttime freakout in over a year.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Putting a blanket over the crate at night helped us. It provides a visual signal that these are different places with different rules. The routine is slightly different too, because we take him outside and insist he squeezes some pee out before bed. When the blanket is on, he knows he doesn't get to choose when he gets let out.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Did you all bother trying to sleep near them early on? I’m feeling like if he’s going to cry no matter what at least if we’re upstairs we might get more sleep.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

z0331 posted:

Did you all bother trying to sleep near them early on? I’m feeling like if he’s going to cry no matter what at least if we’re upstairs we might get more sleep.

I lived in a one bedroom when we brought brisket home, so we were always pretty close, but well outside his vision.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
2 weeks in and not much progress.

Took a lot to get the dog to pee on walks. I know he is waiting for the walk to end so he can pee somewhere inside/outside so long as it's in seclusion. One unfortunate constant with the way his last owner must have scared him into being shy about peeing around people is that he knows as long as I don't see him pee somewhere he wont get in trouble. Which is true, when I find the spot later I know he wont associate it with him peeing there. But he's never really in trouble if he goes right in front of me. I still don't get angry with him. I just say "no" and take him on a walk. It's the part afterwards where he gets left outside for half an hour while I clean that he probably thinks is the punishment. My last adopted dog had huge separation anxiety too, I get it. :shobon:

So in the morning I take him for a walk, then feed him immediately, then because he wont drink water (because he is deathly afraid of peeing) I use tuna that sinks to the bottom of the water bowl so I can trick him to drink a full bowl of water. Then I take him on a 3+ mile walk. Then I walk past my house again and again and again until he gives up and pees so I can reward him. I know he is holding out for the walk to end so that's what it took to get him to pee on a walk. That's been my 6am-8am. Now he is reluctantly peeing on almost every walk, even the short ones. But he still pees inside whenever he has the opportunity and he is a stealthy little bastard.

Like a toddler, I cannot have him out of my sight for a second when indoors. He is chewing apart the house. He doesn't want chew toys - he only wants new chew toys because the 30 he has isn't enough. He has soft cotton toys he can shred apart, squeeky rubber toys, harder rubber toys, rope toys, and hard plastic toys. He doesn't want to chew on them. He wants to chew on something new. He wants to explore the chewing venue and that's a problem. And this is where I feel like I'm failing this dog because I can't deal with it. Every minute I need to check what he is chewing on and then give him a hard chew toy. I've tried setting up seclusion zones but he will break any barrier or kill himself trying, and also will chew on the carpet and corners of walls. I've taken away all his beds or what's left of them. Outside he has chewed up the pressure treated steps of the deck, two bannisters, and a joist. :psyduck: That's far from the full extent of his outdoors destruction, but when I say my dog is chewing up the place I mean, like, literally.

My last dog just wanted to play chase with the rabbits and groundhogs but this dog seems full hunter-mode when it comes to critters and I don't know I'll deal with eventually letting him off-leash. Right now I'm still housetraining him so off-leash is a long ways away. He's cool with goats and alpacas but he he growled at a horse today and the horse reacted and that was not a good situation because we were on a narrow path on the side of a hill with tall brush so we couldn't step off the trail and the rider didn't have room to turn around. Do not spook horses on narrow trails god damnit.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

z0331 posted:

The problem I see with this is that if you give them any slack, they'll insist on that becoming the new normal. So either you'll have to accept "okay, they're always sleeping in their crate in my room, and they'll still be agitating to get out of the crate", or else you face the task of having to re-train them to accept that no, they sleep downstairs in the crate, you sleep upstairs in the bed.

This poo poo sucks, because they're unhappy and they're making damned certain that everyone knows it, but pretty much any response you give them (even stuff like yelling at them to be quiet) is just going to encourage the kind of behavior you're trying to eliminate.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The problem I see with this is that if you give them any slack, they'll insist on that becoming the new normal. So either you'll have to accept "okay, they're always sleeping in their crate in my room, and they'll still be agitating to get out of the crate", or else you face the task of having to re-train them to accept that no, they sleep downstairs in the crate, you sleep upstairs in the bed.

This poo poo sucks, because they're unhappy and they're making damned certain that everyone knows it, but pretty much any response you give them (even stuff like yelling at them to be quiet) is just going to encourage the kind of behavior you're trying to eliminate.

Last night we put his bed up against the open door of his crate and then put a pen around it. So he was still penned but could sleep on his bed, which he likes, and I guess maybe see or hear us more easily. He whined for a few seconds but after settled quickly and was quiet outside of one potty run until he decided he was awake at 6.

We probably should just pull the bandaid off and go upstairs but I keep convincing myself there’s a way to ease into it. :(

Edit: if it’s worth anything, to clarify he’s where we want him to sleep (at least the general idea) and we’ll be moving ourselves back upstairs to our room. We won’t be moving the crate or anything.

z0331 fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 29, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I know it's tough because he's cute and you don't want him to suffer, but the reality is this is how they learn. Just be patient and steel yourself.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Sanctum posted:

Like a toddler, I cannot have him out of my sight for a second when indoors. He is chewing apart the house. He doesn't want chew toys - he only wants new chew toys because the 30 he has isn't enough. He has soft cotton toys he can shred apart, squeeky rubber toys, harder rubber toys, rope toys, and hard plastic toys. He doesn't want to chew on them. He wants to chew on something new. He wants to explore the chewing venue and that's a problem. And this is where I feel like I'm failing this dog because I can't deal with it. Every minute I need to check what he is chewing on and then give him a hard chew toy. I've tried setting up seclusion zones but he will break any barrier or kill himself trying, and also will chew on the carpet and corners of walls. I've taken away all his beds or what's left of them. Outside he has chewed up the pressure treated steps of the deck, two bannisters, and a joist. :psyduck: That's far from the full extent of his outdoors destruction, but when I say my dog is chewing up the place I mean, like, literally.

Does he just have a big pile of chew toys to choose from or are you giving him ones? If he likes novel chew toys I'd put away all but one and just swap it out for something different once a day/a couple times a day so they're always fresh and exciting. You can try freezing his meals into toys to make him wear out some chew energy on food, large kongs and west paw toppls are great for this. If he's a wood chewer you can get things like coffee wood chews/gorilla wood chews that are safe and not part of your home. Make sure you make a big deal when you catch him chewing something appropriate, even if you just gave it to him. WOW GREAT JOB CHEWING THAT BONE I JUST GAVE YOU BECAUSE YOU WERE EATING A WALL GOOD BOY!!! There is nothing too effusive, throw him a party to tell him how great it is.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I originally went the route of buying a million chew toys of every variety that were scattered everywhere, then being baffled with the fluffy gremlin would constantly find anything and everything besides her toys to chew on. I had gotten too used to my older dog who knows exactly what is and isn't off limits.

After a couple of days, I started keeping most of the toys up out of her reach, and I would instead pointedly give her one to play with as an exciting reward/distraction with much fanfare. Her absolute favourite toy only comes out as a reward during dedicated training sessions.

Becoming Keeper of the Good Toys is a powerful position.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
My fiance is keeper of the toys and she has my dog on a string.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That seems cruel, you should cut it off of them

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The best part about crate training is when you get rid of the crates and your dogs just don’t destroy the house anymore.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

13 week old puppy has taken to sleeping across my shoulders on the sofa. He’s had a big day today so he is especially wiped out, totally dead to the world, which was adorable.

Until just now, when my back got uncomfortably hot and I realised he peed himself in his sleep.

I woke up him so I could remove my wet t-shirt and he proceeded to pee on the carpet, I cleaned that up and he came back for another round in exactly the same spot, and just when you think surely he’s out of pee we have a minute to compose ourselves because he’s a loving 6lb puppy how much fluid could he possibly contain, he gets up on the sofa behind me and pees again, which I find out about because now my rear end is uncomfortably hot.

The lesson is there’s always more pee.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lmao yup, now you know first priority should be rushing the pupper outside to finish their business, then take off your shirt and hose down or something. Depending how the pup is you could even bring them in the shower with you for a quick impromptu bath so you can clean yourself and the pup, and also not have to worry about what they're getting up to behind your back (figuratively this time)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Our older dog was always very much one and done as a pup so I didn’t even think about it. Lesson learned.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Pet Island > The Puppy & Dog Owner Thread: The lesson is there’s always more pee.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Could always be worse. When we first got Chop Chop he had some pretty bad GI issues for the first week or so, exacerbated by the stress of moving from the shelter to a new home, and I woke up twice in the middle of the night to the smell of "that's definitely actual poo poo and not a fart in the air" and found streaks of diarrhea all over the living room and entryway, even when I'd taken him out a couple of times pre-bedtime to make sure he'd pooped it all out. On the upside, after renting a carpet shampooer each time for cleanup, our carpet was probably cleaner than it's probably ever been.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I got Kepler when he was about 10 months old. He has never had an accident in the house. Unfortunately, we believe this is because he was extremely harshly house-trained by whoever raised him as a puppy, so now he has all kinds of pee and poop anxiety.

He'll usually pee when we let him out if he really has to go, but he'll hold his poop as long as possible. And when he really has to poop (but won't), he turns into a little monster. He grabs shoes and pillows and things he knows he's not supposed to have, and he even gets mouthy with us -- he doesn't ever bite, but he'll nip the air around us. He gets these wild eyes and regresses into puppy terror mode until he finally goes, often after four or five fruitless trips into the backyard.

After a year and a half in this house, I don't know why he still has anxiety around this. When he does poop, we treat it like the greatest thing that has ever happened and throw a small party for him.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The culprit rehearsing for his crimes last week, before he broke my trust

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The best part about crate training is when you get rid of the crates and your dogs just don’t destroy the house anymore.

:hmmyes:

I’ve generally only left Pongo at home unsupervised for an hour or so while running errands around town and crated him otherwise. Did an experiment last Friday while we were out at the minor league ball game, no issues at all while left alone for a good 5+ hours. Then again he is an extremely good boy that has never touched a toy that wasn’t specifically given to him, the kids stuffed animals are safe.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I got peed on by my sleeping toddler at Disneyland. He was sound asleep while I held him through the brisk air conditioning and gentle rocking of the It's A Small World boat ride. Little fella was so relaxed and just let it flow, which soaked my lap in such a pattern that it appeared that I had peed my pants.

Having had kids before a puppy, it surprises me how similar taking care of a puppy is to taking care of a toddler.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I don’t know how anyone could sleep through that hellish cacophony.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

canyoneer posted:

Having had kids before a puppy, it surprises me how similar taking care of a puppy is to taking care of a toddler.
Even coming from the other direction (multiple dogs raised from puppies prior to having a kid) I have to agree!

devmd01 posted:

Some toddlers can sleep through anything. Mine has slept through every fourth of july and new years since birth, and we now have neighbors that do their own fireworks display in their driveway

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

WhiteHowler posted:

I got Kepler when

Just going to say I love Kepler as a dog name, and I miiiight just name my next dog that.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Nova was solidly 2.5 before I was willing to leave her at home for any length of time without being in her crate - and we’re still careful to close the pantry and empty the garbage.

We hit a big milestone the other day in that I left the dog door open to the fenced backyard and she went out, did her business, and came back in all without us being home! (I have a backyard camera and the neighbors were on standby just in case 😂)

There are times I’m super grateful to have the laziest dog in existence! Crate training definitely helped build her lazy habits for what to do when we’re not home, though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

devmd01 posted:

Sometimes it's the brain's defense mechanism when overwhelmed.

Re: crate training. Jarvis did really well with it. When it's time for bed, I take him out for last potty. When we come in, I pop off the leash and "go crate". He moseys on in and flops down for the night. Door shut, cover down, noisemaker on, and he's good til I get up with the oldest for school.

Sometimes he'll chill in there during the day, but we've also made it very clear that it's his space and nobody else. We barricade the front and dining room area when we leave and he's been fine so far up to 8hr.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I've mentioned I've only half-assed crate training with Little Bear because he just chills out as long as I don't leave the trash accessible.

Well this weekend I forgot to put my office trash can out of reach and he ate some kind of Kleenex/paper out of there. Which lead to it hanging out of his butt this morning when he pooped.

I felt so bad laughing at his reaction, but it was really funny.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

an egg fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 7, 2023

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Teefs

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Anyone have a puppy who's really bad at eating treats? Like, shows interest enough but can't seem to eat it properly? He can eat kibble ok but when I give Teddy even a small treat he kind of mouths it for a while and breaks it up but takes forever to fully eat it or gives up.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

z0331 posted:

Anyone have a puppy who's really bad at eating treats? Like, shows interest enough but can't seem to eat it properly? He can eat kibble ok but when I give Teddy even a small treat he kind of mouths it for a while and breaks it up but takes forever to fully eat it or gives up.

How hard is it?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

HootTheOwl posted:

How hard is it?

Softer than the kibble. which is what's kind of confusing me. I've tried a couple different types all of which are varying levels of soft.

The one treat that seems to work so far is bits of cheese.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

z0331 posted:

Softer than the kibble. which is what's kind of confusing me. I've tried a couple different types all of which are varying levels of soft.

The one treat that seems to work so far is bits of cheese.

Try wetting it?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My pyr was very confused by treats for a while. She would just nibble them into crumbs and it was very cute. She still has a gentle mouth but will gobble anything down now. Your pup will probably figure it out soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The puppy might think the treat is supposed to be some kind of weird toy; I've seen a couple puppies that (at first) think food is only in the food bowl (which is good tbh). Perhaps try giving the treat in a food bowl and see if they get it?

Chop Chop says hello and he'll gladly eat any treats your puppies don't want to