Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sure okay posted:

Typical Targ hypocrisy for Rhaenyra to first shrug her shoulders at her 12 year old cousin getting shotgun married to her dad, going "Well, he is the king after all!" And then walking out in a huff when it's actually her friend getting married instead.

It's just like.... gently caress. There's no one to root for. There is no levity. The show's thesis at the moment is, "See? Here's what the rule of a normal and reasonable king would be. He's weak and sucks and everyone thinks so. Also, this world is full of Crab Kings that would gladly torture innocents to death and the main king is doing nothing about it, so maybe the heavy handed fascist style of ruling like Daemon wants is Cool and Good actually???"

That choice sucks. These people suck. Tyrion made ruling fairly look cool through guile, deals, and speeches. This show needs s Cool Good Guy. Currently it's just Weak, Nerdy Good Guys and Cool Fashies.

Boy are you in for a wild ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

mcmagic posted:

She's REALLY good. The show is going to suffer when they go to the older versions of those characters and she isn't on it anymore.

'there is a big time jump and she survives through it all' is a pretty large spoiled :(

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Trash Trick posted:

'there is a big time jump and she survives through it all' is a pretty large spoiled :(

it's not really a spoiler, the older versions of the characters are in all of the promo material

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Hoping that the third Valyrian house, Celtigar gets involved soon for some more Crab Action as they are the Crab House.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Chemtrailologist posted:

The King's impending death has the same subtle foreshadowing seen here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JkBKGttM_U

I laughed a dozen times at this stupid clip, we need more spoofs in the current media landscape

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

romanowski posted:

it's not really a spoiler, the older versions of the characters are in all of the promo material

where did they make it clear that there's a time jump and all these characters have plot armor? I find that somewhat unlikely. if they did though, yeah, those are spoilers.

the scene between the uncle and niece definitely seemed like it was supposed to have some tension.

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 29, 2022

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Trash Trick posted:

where did they make it clear that there's a time jump and all these characters have plot armor? I find that somewhat unlikely. if they did though, yeah, those are spoilers.

the scene between the uncle and niece definitely seemed like it was supposed to have some tension.

In the next episode preview Viserys and Alicent's kid is like four years old.

Personally, I'm excited about a time jumping structure. It avoids a lot of the problems of late GoT where characters are teleporting around the map and resolving huge wars in like a week.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 29, 2022

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

pospysyl posted:

In the next episode preview Viserys and Alicent's kid is like four years old.

I don't watch episode previews but that doesn't answer where they made it clear in the promotion of the show which characters have plot armor for how long

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

exmarx posted:

they should have got tom waits to cover the got theme for the dragon house show

when you walk through Highgarden, better watch your back

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

It was only a couple episodes into GoT where we all collectively decided as a society that it would be okay to murder a child in cold blood just this one time as long as that child was Joffrey.

With this show we talk about the intro CGI.

the first two eps had a half-dozen characters that were bubbling with characterization. i don't feel anything for anyone in hot d

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Trash Trick posted:

I don't watch episode previews but that doesn't answer where they made it clear in the promotion of the show which characters have plot armor for how long

It's been known \ in all the media that she is played by 2 different actresses :shrug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Trash Trick posted:

The season trailer has older Rhaenyra in it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I hope every time they do a time jump they put it in relation to Dany, so the whole show (which will probably wind up having a lot of things more important than anything Dany did) will just be a big countdown to Dany.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

131 years, six months, fourteen days until Bronn is appointed Master of Coin

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think they did enough to foreshadow the Alicent marriage. I mean they’ve been spending time together but this is clearly one of those major twists where it’s Love over Duty and they haven’t done nearly enough to signal the depth of the relationship between the two.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Vegetable posted:

I don’t think they did enough to foreshadow the Alicent marriage. I mean they’ve been spending time together but this is clearly one of those major twists where it’s Love over Duty and they haven’t done nearly enough to signal the depth of the relationship between the two.

she brought him a new dragon miniature for his little board game, one that he couldn't get at launch because he was busy having his hand maggoted so he couldn't wait in line at the game shop and they all sold out. she waited in line next to ser neckbeard for 10 hours to get it for him.

that's true love

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Vegetable posted:

idk if its love. its more like "well at least this girl is a little older and enjoy her company instead of some kid who will just read out lines that her dad told her, both are the case sure but allicent does it better.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Also he was being pressured from all sides to marry right away, with Rhany endangering herself at Dragonstone being the final push. Alicent was the best option he thought he had.

A more strong-willed king would have put his foot down and declared that he will marry when he chooses, and everyone would have to shut the gently caress up about it. Viserys is not that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
He's getting led around by the nose by Otto Hightower and the grand maester whose name I forgot, and he doesn't realize it. They talked him into thinking that he must marry right away and steered him to Alicent.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I know people were joking about having Bronn show up as-is with no explanation, but now it has me wondering if we actually will get some holdover characters from the original series. I could see them sticking Mellisandre in a scene somewhere, or one of the other characters that were hinted at living through multiple generations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

please god don't do that or else we'll end up with an entire season in the north hunting down the three-eyed raven for some bullshit prophecy

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I remember Bronn in seasons 5-8 and all i can say gently caress no gtfo

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
When people were talking about Rhys Ifans I thought they meant that other welsh actor with a dumb name was back

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Yeah, there’s a ton of noble houses who would love to be married into the king’s family, but they’re trying to railroad him by making it seem like he has only 2 choices and the other is a terrible one.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bloodraven the immortal lich whose sole purpose in living forever is to gently caress over his half-brother's ghost would be fun but thatll never hapoen

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mameluke posted:

Bloodraven the immortal lich whose sole purpose in living forever is to gently caress over his half-brother's ghost would be fun but thatll never hapoen

Bloodraven is born way after the dance.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Trash Trick posted:

Literally every article on the show has stated that the very young characters have older actors playing them later in the season. It's an extremely light spoiler.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This is better than I expected for sure. I was prepared to loathe it but it's firmly decent and I even like Doctor Who as the deranged inbreeding guy. Warhammer King rules. I like the dragon content more than I ever did in GoT.

Prolly being too generous because I was expecting season 8.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Vegetable posted:

this isn't a robb stark and talisa situation lol, alicent is being pushed to flatter the king by her father and is clearly uncomfortable with it and viserys is being pressured to remarry by the small council and is going with the older girl who he likes talking to over the 12 year old. it's not Love Over Duty and there is no depth to their relationship

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Roman Reigns posted:

A more strong-willed king would have put his foot down and declared that he will marry when he chooses, and everyone would have to shut the gently caress up about it. Viserys is not that.
He wants to please both sides, he will please neither.

Mameluke posted:

He was born like 90 years later. Just before the next big civil war.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't necessarily think it's the wrong thing for the Viserys to get married ASAP. If he dropped dead, there would obviously be a huge crisis.

Should probably think about a few other candidates than a child and his daughter's best friend.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Also I don’t understand how Gold Cloaks is like an actual mobile army that you can just up and move to Dragonstone. Aren’t they the equivalent of city police?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Also I don’t understand how Gold Cloaks is like an actual mobile army that you can just up and move to Dragonstone. Aren’t they the equivalent of city police?

They're a bunch of dudes who are basically personally loyal to Daemon so if he says "come to dragonstone with me" they're gonna do that no matter if the rules say about that.

And also yknow, if a bunch of goldcloaks are boarding a ship to dragonstone, the goldcloaks sure as he'll aren't going to stop them.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Is that really something that makes Rhaenyra unsympathetic? I dont think characters need to be rational and consistent in their logic to be someone you can root for. She's a teenager.
I will agree there's way less levity, tho ill take dour n self serious if it eliminates the possibility of GoT's late seasons sense of "humor".

I mean it's not hypocritical or inconsistent at all. The reasons she's upset about Alicent marrying her dad don't exist in the little girl. She's okay with one situation and upset about another, different situation.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Extremely disappointed with the lack of twist at the end of this episode. Should've said he wanted to marry his daughter, since the preceding scene just had him saying how much she reminded him of his mother, plus he didn't want to undermine her as an heir. Real goony rear end king too deep in the well to see the obvious solution to all his troubles.

stev posted:

Re: The opening the main issue for me is that the GoT theme doesn't suit it at all. This needed something a bit darker and more Targaryan-y. GoT's theme was well suited to the globetrotting journeys that comprise most of that story but not to a series that's going to be mostly focused on one city and a war. The visuals were a good idea but it needs tweaking. Just having nameplates on the little blood nodes to show that they represent the family tree would be a start.
I'm sure they could have gone with an adaption of Daenerys's various themes, adjusted for the overall mood of the story at a given point. So like, kinda chill at the start with a little discordance, then fire and blood when poo poo goes down.

reignonyourparade posted:

They're a bunch of dudes who are basically personally loyal to Daemon so if he says "come to dragonstone with me" they're gonna do that no matter if the rules say about that.

And also yknow, if a bunch of goldcloaks are boarding a ship to dragonstone, the goldcloaks sure as he'll aren't going to stop them.
Yeah, the first episode makes it clear Daemon made them what they are, of course they're personally loyal to him.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I honestly thought he was going to say he’s marrying his daughter. I know there was some scene in GoT where they said the Targarians inbred themselves to madness, i.e. the mad king, and he kept looking at her. So I was honestly surprised he went with Hightower.

God I’m so terrible with names sorry.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There really should be like some mention about the impact of an entire city’s police force going missing.

Or maybe this was the point all along. That they never needed the cops :shrug:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Vegetable posted:

i mean so is the NYPD/CPD/giant city police department.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vegetable posted:

There really should be like some mention about the impact of an entire city’s police force going missing.

Or maybe this was the point all along. That they never needed the cops :shrug:
In fairness, that police force only had like one effective day at work before they all went on administrative leave.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean so is the NYPD/CPD/giant city police department.
The NYPD even has an international intelligence branch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Anita Dickinme posted:

I honestly thought he was going to say he’s marrying his daughter. I know there was some scene in GoT where they said the Targarians inbred themselves to madness, i.e. the mad king, and he kept looking at her. So I was honestly surprised he went with Hightower.

God I’m so terrible with names sorry.

I can't remember what Viserys' deal is but some Targs before him decided against incest because they realise it's really weird and offputting to most people and makes the church actively hate them.