Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

loquacius posted:

What's the Carian Slicer build/strat? My sorcerer bounced off them hard, and the Brick Hammer build had trouble with them too.

Mainhand highest sorcery scaling staff (prob meteorite if early game, renalla or lusat later), offhand staff should be Academy Glintstone Staff for +15% damage buff. The way staffs work is that just having it equipped in a hand applies the buff to any spells cast, even if you’re not casting with that staff, so you want to abuse this. Whatever your best graven talisman is + optional radagon icon, especially if you’re going to be using piercer. Stats are just max INT and VIG, whatever endurance you need. Mind is lowest prio since it’s such a FP efficient spell. If you’re not high enough level to hit 80 int run the +10 int flask.

You almost always want to start with sprinting attack - it has stupid range that seems to either lag or extend past where the animation seems like it should go. Basically just sprint in and start attacking until you need to dodge away - a lot of it is just figuring out the timing of how much you can spam between attacks for bosses. Most enemies will die or trade favorably if you just run in and spam slicer until you run out of stamina. Bonus points if you can trick something into letting you spam slicer at them while standing in terra Magicka. The slicer spam combo is super fast and does insane burst - it costs next to no FP, does greatsword damage at longsword range with dagger speed.

Carian Greatsword and Adulla Moonblade are nice for flare but both are less burst and less efficient that slicer, though the projectile on moonblade is really nice sometimes. Carian Piercer is worth using in PVP or any time you really want to stagger someone since it does incredible poise dmg.

Sindai posted:

Is there even any particularly good or unique piece of gear that requires farming? I guess most people never even think about drop rates with the sheer volume of cool stuff you get from bosses, chests, and other fixed loot.

I’ve farmed:
- spiked spear from those marionette dudes: really cool bleed spear if you don’t want to be the dual naginata guy
- perfumers outfit: incredible drip, especially the chest piece
- variety of doot doot horns for obvious reasons
- Golem Halberd
- unaltered banish knight gear: also cool drip

All of these have really sucked to farm and most of them took >1 hour of just resetting on the most efficient grace I could find. There are a few more things id like that I just don’t feel like farming, primarily the magma swords which look badass as hell but the route is a PITA and the drop rate is terrible.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My caveman character has gotten all the way to the suicide chicken and now I have 60 STR, 45 VIG, and enough END to carry the Giant-Crusher without sacrificing any of my armor :toot: (so long shield though)

and I think I'm actually better with the brick hammer. It does good damage (if not AS much as the crusher) and is fast enough that I could use it to damage-race the assassins in the Ordina evergaol and stunlock Leyndell Knights. Giant Crusher is fun but might be too slow for me.

causticBeet posted:

Mainhand highest sorcery scaling staff (prob meteorite if early game, renalla or lusat later), offhand staff should be Academy Glintstone Staff for +15% damage buff. The way staffs work is that just having it equipped in a hand applies the buff to any spells cast, even if you’re not casting with that staff, so you want to abuse this. Whatever your best graven talisman is + optional radagon icon, especially if you’re going to be using piercer. Stats are just max INT and VIG, whatever endurance you need. Mind is lowest prio since it’s such a FP efficient spell. If you’re not high enough level to hit 80 int run the +10 int flask.

You almost always want to start with sprinting attack - it has stupid range that seems to either lag or extend past where the animation seems like it should go. Basically just sprint in and start attacking until you need to dodge away - a lot of it is just figuring out the timing of how much you can spam between attacks for bosses. Most enemies will die or trade favorably if you just run in and spam slicer until you run out of stamina. Bonus points if you can trick something into letting you spam slicer at them while standing in terra Magicka. The slicer spam combo is super fast and does insane burst - it costs next to no FP, does greatsword damage at longsword range with dagger speed.

Carian Greatsword and Adulla Moonblade are nice for flare but both are less burst and less efficient that slicer, though the projectile on moonblade is really nice sometimes. Carian Piercer is worth using in PVP or any time you really want to stagger someone since it does incredible poise dmg.

Quoting this to come back to it later, thanks :tipshat:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

causticBeet posted:

GS and Moonblade are mainly there for big groups of enemies. They're nice for that, but yeah, I wouldn't spam them otherwise. Rely on Slicer for smaller groups and 1 on 1s. Piercer is exceptional for npc invaders. The AI does not understand how to stay out of range of it, and a fully charged piercer will typically knock them onto the ground, and you can then charge it up again as they try to get up and basically perma cc them and easily kill them.

I liked using the Jellyfish Shield and keeping my Staff in my mainhand because the Jellyfish shield gives a 20% damage buff that doesn't cost much fp to cast and lasts I believe 30 seconds or so. It works for your spells. It is a big strength investment though so if you'd rather you could just dual wield staffs. This build isn't stat hungry though so I feel like you can spare the points. As you said you basically just need max int and then 60 vigor and after that it's really up to you how you allocate the rest of your points.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Greatshield + Lance so far is a ton of fun. Flame of the Redmanes on that sucker, guard counter talisman, goddamned staggers for days and even in my imperfect form with Scholar's Shield I'm amazing myself with the attacks I can shrug off and punish hard. After a bunch of playthroughs with huge weapons and powerstance jump attacks I'm having to learn which combos are safe and seeing all new attack patterns. Did you know the winged misbegotten have a dive attack where they pin you down and stab you? I do now!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I decided to try the dual-wielding Great Stars build and not only does it rule but I keep finding people with summon signs doing it and it turns out the only thing better than two Great Stars is four Great Stars.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pope Guilty posted:

I decided to try the dual-wielding Great Stars build and not only does it rule but I keep finding people with summon signs doing it and it turns out the only thing better than two Great Stars is four Great Stars.

Godrick the Grafted but every arm has a Great Stars.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

It's so good, slap Golden Land on one (the projectile attack tree avatars use - you'll be healed from each hit as well as from the holy AOE and the weapon strike itself if you're close enough) and Wild Strikes or Prayerful Strike (expensive overhead bash but it heals 30% of your HP) for even more ridiculousness. Probably about the only thing in the game that can be made to allow for the kind of sustain that the BB does

edit - each projectile will also apply bleed

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 29, 2022

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Now powerstancing with my Brick Hammer and a Great Stars and I'm doing fuckloads of damage but I have had it just about up to here with the goddamn Haligtree

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Epic High Five posted:

It's so good, slap Golden Land on one (the projectile attack tree avatars use - you'll be healed from each hit as well as from the holy AOE and the weapon strike itself if you're close enough) and Wild Strikes or Prayerful Strike (expensive overhead bash but it heals 30% of your HP) for even more ridiculousness. Probably about the only thing in the game that can be made to allow for the kind of sustain that the BB does

edit - each projectile will also apply bleed

Prelate's Charge is also pretty fun on Great Stars, especially if you throw Bloodflame Blade on there first. That combo absolutely fucks a lot of big bosses and is pretty good against groups of chaff, too.

I actually caught an invader with the initial smash on Prelate's Charge recently, and the stagger + rapid-fire bleed stunlocked him. It shredded a good two thirds of his health bar by the time I golfed him into space with the finisher, at which point my brother was wheezing into his mic due to the comical sequence of overlapping grunting noises that the invader had emitted

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Fires Deadly Sin + bloodflame blade + weapon with native bleed = oh yea, I burn and proc bleed just standing near things.

lmbo

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
turns out all i really needed to do to demolish renalla was, after killing tiny nerd number five,

- pop oleg
- chug flask (well actually this turned out completely unnecessary but if I'd remembered a buff or something,)
- slap on a weapon grease and the magic damage reduction thingy
- kill nerd six

Then I went to clear ruin strewn precipice before hunting down the second half of the elevator key, and whaddaya know, don't need the elevator! Magma wyrm wasn't particularly hard with my good friend rotten breath.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

lite_sleepr posted:

Fires Deadly Sin + bloodflame blade + weapon with native bleed = oh yea, I burn and proc bleed just standing near things.

lmbo

:stare:

Need to try this in conjunction with Prelate's Charge.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

All aboard of the bleed train!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Oh those draconic tree sentinels? They get chumped by wild strike great stars. Just walk up to their shield and start swinging.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

Put prelates charge on a great stars with the aforementioned combo and just snow plow gangs of dudes while healing, negating the DoT of fires deadly sin

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So my SHOOT YELLOW FIRE OUT OF MY EYEBALLS plan finally hit its first snag in the form of: Fire Giant.

I didn't even remember where his boss arena was and stumbled in the first time anyway. After scrambling to get my head about me, I finally managed to take aim with the Sniper Rifle and.....ZERO damage. Uh oh. So THAT attempt ended quickly. Decided to look him up.

- Strong vs Fire / Phys
- Immune to Madness, Deathblight (also lol why is deathblight even in the game. Is there a boss that isn't immune to it?)

Oh boy. Fire Giant, more like Invalidate My Whole Build...Giant.

Anyway, switched to Rotten Breath, and between that, Swarm of Flies, and Alexander and the Mimic tanking, he went down after a few tries, but that's the only boss I haven't beaten in a single attempt this run. Build wreeeeeeecks everything else.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I imagine the only boss not immune to Deathblight is Gideon.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

edit: I’m wrong

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Tarezax posted:

I imagine the only boss not immune to Deathblight is Gideon.

Poo eater

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

All PvE enemies are immune to deathblight. Even Gideon, which makes no sense in-universe. It is strictly something for PvP.

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Death+Blight posted:

DEATH BLIGHT VULNERABLE

The following Enemies and Bosses are susceptible to the Death Blight effect.

Player Invaders

DEATH BLIGHT IMMUNE

The following Enemies and Bosses are immune to the Death Blight effect. Immunity indicates a target is impossible or near-impossible to afflict with a given effect.

All enemies (including NPC invaders)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Plus all others that use NPC behaviour, I'd assume. So, invaders, Volcano Manor targets, et cetera.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I watched Dung Eater die to deathblight when the crab got him. Someone update the wiki.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

lol. Reading up more on fextralife, and it seems the sacrificial twig doesn't prevent rune loss if you're killed by deathblight. Glad I didn't have to learn that the hard way.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I watched Dung Eater die to deathblight when the crab got him. Someone update the wiki.
The middle of the page says NPCs are vulnerable while the bottom says they aren't, so it's right either way!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sindai posted:

The middle of the page says NPCs are vulnerable while the bottom says they aren't, so it's right either way!

Fextralife mantra. just blast out some misinformation and some of it might be right by accident

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Fextralife mantra. just blast out some misinformation and some of it might be right by accident

In most cases the info is copied from the comments on the page

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I feel like presenting video game information in a readable and accurate fashion without annoying autoplay video ads is one of those technologies that society has somehow completely forgotten over the past decade.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Fextralife is a wiki.

Some pages are still best guesses, whereas crucible knights now have a full flowchart of their moveset.

Be patient with the weird goblins who edit wiki pages for our use.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

I feel like presenting video game information in a readable and accurate fashion without annoying autoplay video ads is one of those technologies that society has somehow completely forgotten over the past decade.

Are there not still wise teenagers cranking out novel-length all-text guides on GameFAQs?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm having fun with this sorcerer build, but I think it has the most pronounced rough-patch over the other two archetypes I've tried (unga-bunga and paladin). There's a point where the really strong starting toolkit hasn't been replaced yet and theres more of a struggle, but this disappears once you get rock-sling. This is the first playthrough where Rennala hasn't gone down in one shot.

While this is my fourth playthrough and I know I could dash for things like rock-sling, I try not to metagame and experience the game using knowledge my character might because I'm a nerd. I'm also enjoying just as rock-sling was beginning to feel weak, spiral shards shows up to rip and tear some huge guts.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Paracelsus posted:

It's not that. It's just capitalism. Same thing that ruins everything else.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Disco Pope posted:

I'm having fun with this sorcerer build, but I think it has the most pronounced rough-patch over the other two archetypes I've tried (unga-bunga and paladin). There's a point where the really strong starting toolkit hasn't been replaced yet and theres more of a struggle, but this disappears once you get rock-sling. This is the first playthrough where Rennala hasn't gone down in one shot.

While this is my fourth playthrough and I know I could dash for things like rock-sling, I try not to metagame and experience the game using knowledge my character might because I'm a nerd. I'm also enjoying just as rock-sling was beginning to feel weak, spiral shards shows up to rip and tear some huge guts.

The test of my Sorc run was Zamor Ruins.

I will await your trip report.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Disco Pope posted:

Rennala is rough as a Sorcerer since she's resistant to all magic attacks. Rock Sling can take her down, but it's not that easy a victory compared to a bleed or melee build.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Are there not still wise teenagers cranking out novel-length all-text guides on GameFAQs?

Gamefaqs has gone to an html format with links and images that aren't even in ASCII.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ginette Reno posted:

Rennala is rough as a Sorcerer since she's resistant to all magic attacks. Rock Sling can take her down, but it's not that easy a victory compared to a bleed or melee build.

I'm way past her now. I'm currently mopping up content before making my way to the city. I've cleared out Caelid, Renna's quest, Fia's quest and Sellen's quest and barely made my way into the Altus Plateau, so this has felt really different to my last games where that stuff was more towards the endgame.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

HaB posted:

Yesterday I stomped that place on my sorcerer. But to be fair I took liberal advantage of the cliffs overlooking it.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

HaB posted:

Presumably I can still just run away even in stupid curly-toed nerd shoes without tripping over my beard and impaling myself on my wand.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah Sorc is much more heavily dependent on foreknowledge compared to faith where you just randomly stumble upon poo poo like black flame in main story locations, the giant signposted dragon cathedrals and your first vendor is literally just in the roundtable from the very start

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

Gamefaqs has gone to an html format with links and images that aren't even in ASCII.

Blasphemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I never bother fighting anyone at the Zamor Ruins. I just run in, grab the ball bearing and leave. They don't even bother chasing me.