Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Macaluso posted:

What is this? It seems to have nothing to do with food, I can't place anything in those boxes, I don't have any other options besides pet that I can see. What is this section?

When you fully open the pasture you can set guys to be auto-fed/harvested for, like, 10 cowries per day each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Macaluso posted:

What is this? It seems to have nothing to do with food, I can't place anything in those boxes, I don't have any other options besides pet that I can see. What is this section?

i think thats for the auto feeder thing

edit: curses

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Can anyone figure out what the new Pandamonium gear references? Aiming/Scouting's mask is proto-Carbuncle so I assume the others would be things but I don't spot them as easily. The caster/healer mask in particular makes me say "oh that's..." but I can't think of what. Halicarnassus?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Finished the real savage ahead of time.

Lol that was fast. I haven't even tried, I'm still using the 560 gear and just assumed I wouldn't have the stats

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Madmarker posted:

Hey I'm currently maxed on Sacks of Nuts. Is there a reason to save this or should I go ahead and spend them on stuff. I don't currently need gear upgrade mats

Spend them! They won't be adding more to the EW vendor until 6.3 at the earliest since they just added the old tomestone gear in 6.2. Don't forget to check the ShB vendor too if you haven't picked up the mounts, minions and orchestrion rolls from there and the EW vendor since they share currencies.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Given a couple of fights this patch I have to ask: is there some definite angle for look-away mechanics where you are officially looking away? I imagine it's either a 90-degree cone (like the front arc of a boss), or 180-degree front half.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I caught the alligator, so I've officially won the Island Sanctuary.

(Though I'm actually just at rank 9 with everything built and waiting for 20k xp to hit rank 10 to get flying)

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Given a couple of fights this patch I have to ask: is there some definite angle for look-away mechanics where you are officially looking away? I imagine it's either a 90-degree cone (like the front arc of a boss), or 180-degree front half.

Cone. Learned that from some BLU duties.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

derra posted:

Huh this makes a ton of sense and I never really thought about it.

So I can dodge the gaze attack in WoD just by being positioned right and not stopping my rotation just to turn around?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

Huh this makes a ton of sense and I never really thought about it.

So I can dodge the gaze attack in WoD just by being positioned right and not stopping my rotation just to turn around?

Yep. I've dodged the mortal gaze while attacking the hourglasses while definitely not a whole 180-degrees away from the boss. So your "vision" being the 90-degree cone in front of you makes sense.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Thanks, that'll be useful to know.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

If you did/remember e2s, near the beginning of the fight there’s a part with a stack, a gaze on a player, and 2 preys that essentially boil down to “can’t be in the stack”
The stack and gaze would be south of the boss, with the gaze at max melee and the stack closer
If you were a prey marker if you went to the flank and had your facing dead on to the boss you dodge the gaze without having to turn away and not risk getting clipped by the stack.
This was a common strat so you can probably see it in action by looking up a clear vod

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
The minimap shows a cone of vision so that's what I've been using for gazes.

RME posted:

If you did/remember e2s
I didn't do E2S but for another fight example, the usual solution I've seen for E12S phase 2's Basic Relativity, where healers or tanks can get a timed gaze marker, is that the four DPS stand slightly in front of the tanks and the healers stand off to the sides out of the tanks+DPS' cone of vision.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The Island Sanctuary is everything I hoped it would be.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Based on a spreadsheet going around on Google docs, there's actually five landmarks but still only three locations to place them on. That's unfortunate. One of them is special and is built from the new 90** expert crafts.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

derra posted:

Definitely cone, E8S would have been impossible if it was a full 180 degrees.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Based on a spreadsheet going around on Google docs, there's actually five landmarks but still only three locations to place them on. That's unfortunate. One of them is special and is built from the new 90** expert crafts.

Four locations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

Four locations.

Oh well that's something at least.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

to the person who left a comment saying P8's track is just a lost SA2 stage track: gently caress you I can't unhear it now :argh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's insanity to me that people are already at rank 10 and have like giant alligators and the daisy dukes and everything. I'm still at rank 6

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Macaluso posted:

It's insanity to me that people are already at rank 10 and have like giant alligators and the daisy dukes and everything. I'm still at rank 6

Put on Netflix and click shiny buttons for 12+ hours. Never underestimate the ability of MMO players to make anything sweaty.

See also those of us trying to min-max our workshop output.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm like halfway through 8 and I don't feel like I clicked rocks that hard.

I mean, I definitely did loops in some downtime I had/while catching up on some youtube stuff.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm just at the start of rank 8 and feel I spent more time bonking rocks than I should have. At least I've got a second screen with YouTube available.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I'm curious what lessons they will learn for the second island. I don't dislike what we got, but I hope they completely change tack in the follow up. The island is a very lonely experience compared to Animal Crossing or Stardew Valley without real NPCs and the community building aspects. Would also would like to see waaay more work be put into being able to make your island a unique experience rather than a market simulator.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Firebert posted:

I'm curious what lessons they will learn for the second island. I don't dislike what we got, but I hope they completely change tack in the follow up. The island is a very lonely experience compared to Animal Crossing or Stardew Valley without real NPCs and the community building aspects. Would also would like to see waaay more work be put into being able to make your island a unique experience rather than a market simulator.

I'd like any real meaningful way to customize my poo poo. I get it's not housing, but even still let me have some exterior options or color choices or SOMETHING.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Macaluso posted:

I'd like any real meaningful way to customize my poo poo. I get it's not housing, but even still let me have some exterior options or color choices or SOMETHING.

You can adjust the appearance of the buildings and grounds to reflect various stages of progress, but to be fair that's pretty limited. It will be nice if they add some expanded glamour options at least.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Has it been said the evolution of the content will involve getting another island? Or is that just the running assumption?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I blitzed to rank 8 then slowed down after reading that people were hitting rank 10 without knowing how to unlock flying or the rank V mammet tools. Over the weekend I've been able to build up my workshops and granaries to level 3, with the last two constructions completing tonight which'll shoot me to rank 9.

And then the workshops come back online 😈

Oxyclean posted:

Has it been said the evolution of the content will involve getting another island? Or is that just the running assumption?

The slides during the roadmap mentioned that there'll be updates to the content in upcoming patches, with an "additional area" planned for either 6.4 or 6.5.

https://www.dualshockers.com/ffxiv-next-10-years-6-x-roadmap-letter-from-producer-lxviii-news/

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 29, 2022

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Thundarr posted:

You can adjust the appearance of the buildings and grounds to reflect various stages of progress, but to be fair that's pretty limited. It will be nice if they add some expanded glamour options at least.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they add more customization in the future. This feels like a good foundation to build upon.

Macaluso posted:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I caught up with the MSQ as fast as my IL would allow but yeah I’ve taken it slow on island stuff.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

When they did their Endwalker post-6.0 roadmap they mentioned a new island in 6.4/6.5 iirc

https://novacrystallis.com/2022/02/final-fantasy-xiv-live-letter-68-summary-first-graphical-update-and-patch-roadmap-detailed/

The slide says 'additional area' but the live translation said island I am almost positive. To be fair this was like...10 months ago

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Firebert posted:

When they did their Endwalker post-6.0 roadmap they mentioned a new island in 6.4/6.5 iirc

https://novacrystallis.com/2022/02/final-fantasy-xiv-live-letter-68-summary-first-graphical-update-and-patch-roadmap-detailed/

The slide says 'additional area' but the live translation said island I am almost positive. To be fair this was like...10 months ago

I dunno. I think "another island" is real premature considering how many QOL improvements they could make to this one first. Spend some time letting the new feature mature a bit before adding a second identical mechanic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll advance on the island when I can actually get in

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Warmachine posted:

I dunno. I think "another island" is real premature considering how many QOL improvements they could make to this one first. Spend some time letting the new feature mature a bit before adding a second identical mechanic.

I mean, if there's another island coming it's slated for 6.4 or 6.5, that's two to three patches away. That's plenty of time to make improvements to the current system, unless they wait until the patches for the next expansion.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I imagine now that they got the framework down it would be pretty easy to expand it, or to use the same principle for a similar system in another zone. It does sound like it's popular at least

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Warmachine posted:

Put on Netflix and click shiny buttons for 12+ hours. Never underestimate the ability of MMO players to make anything sweaty.

See also those of us trying to min-max our workshop output.

https://twitter.com/TheGayViera/status/1562965745763434496?t=KTUrSLyl7BnyK4uvdEWAsw&s=19

Oxyclean posted:

Firebert posted:

It's not just that one time. They've said "second/next island" multiple times across like three Live Letters now.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Macaluso posted:

Here's my thing...why can't it be?

The islands are on the housing servers, there are actual neighborhoods available for people that that's the draw for, and I just don't understand the hesitancy to just give everyone a house we can decorate with all the decorations in the game and outside objects we accumilate constantly.

Onean posted:

It's not just that one time. They've said "second/next island" multiple times across like three Live Letters now.

I understand people being unclear on things since the whole 'the previous pvp season rewards will be available next season for crystal trophies' misunderstanding. Hard to know when there's a small error in translation

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 29, 2022

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

There's a pre-show for either Dropped Frames or Mirrorshades or just one of the ITMEJP shows, where he had DJWheat on. And it's back when Splatoon first came out and was specifically about the online test before the actual release. And it was about I guess how OP the roller was at the time and how everyone eventually only used that in the demo to get the most wins or points or whatever. But the point is he said something when he was talking about that whole situation. "...and so of course gamers are gonna game the loving demo..." and I think about that specific thing he said every time I see a new game where what's supposed to be a slow paced road to to something, or a talent tree that's meant to give you a choice, or whatever.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Macaluso posted:

There's a pre-show for either Dropped Frames or Mirrorshades or just one of the ITMEJP shows, where he had DJWheat on. And it's back when Splatoon first came out and was specifically about the online test before the actual release. And it was about I guess how OP the roller was at the time and how everyone eventually only used that in the demo to get the most wins or points or whatever. But the point is he said something when he was talking about that whole situation. "...and so of course gamers are gonna game the loving demo..." and I think about that specific thing he said every time I see a new game where what's supposed to be a slow paced road to to something, or a talent tree that's meant to give you a choice, or whatever.

And I'll be honest, as someone who enjoys a bit of optimization as a treat, it's kinda rough to watch. Because now I feel like I'm behind. It's not rational, but there's a little buzzing in the back of my head saying, "You could be doing more. You could be grinding materials right now."

Don't get me wrong, play how you like. I'm just reinforcing a thesis I've held for a long time--everything in an MMO is competitive, even if only by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'm halfway into rank 8 but I haven't been just hitting rocks for xp. It's been "wait I need HOW MUCH hemp? Oh well let's gather that up. Crud, I used all my nets on Beachcomber, better make 20 more before the next spawn."