Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Per Variety ratings were actually slightly up from the premiere, which very unusual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

Per Variety ratings were actually slightly up from the premiere, which very unusual

Cause it's good bro.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

I mean it's not hypocritical or inconsistent at all. The reasons she's upset about Alicent marrying her dad don't exist in the little girl. She's okay with one situation and upset about another, different situation.
Oh yeah, agreed, it's a whole different dimension with her best friend and father seemingly contriving this secretly behind her back

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

stev posted:

I can't remember what Viserys' deal is but some Targs before him decided against incest because they realise it's really weird and offputting to most people and makes the church actively hate them.

The last king married his sister, and his parents were siblings as well. It took some time before they really decided to diversify that gene pool

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

They're all absolute monarchists. Cool Good Guy king had a conversation where he was like "I don't want to marry a child," and Otto was like "Hey man, you literally own everything. You can do whatever you want." And Otto was correct in that assessment.

The show definitely lacks some grounding by not getting out amongst the rabble as much as GoT and not having a guy like Tyrion with some street smarts. Everyone this show follows is way up their own asses with all the concerns over court poo poo. Corlys is probably the closest, but it doesn't really show other than he's a lot more honest, direct, and practical than everyone else.

This is good succinct explanation of why the first couple of episodes have felt pretty dry. It'd be like GoT episodes with only Tywin, Vaerys, Littlefinger, Roose Bolton, and the Tarly patriarch. GoT benefited from having characters on the outside who wanted in, on the inside who wanted out, and a variety of people forced in one direction or the other. So far, HoD has mostly been royal family drama. I don't expect it to stay that way, but the writers know they can take a slow build with this series instead of needing a big hook like small child walking in on the queen loving her brother and the kid subsequently being pushed out of a very high window.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Should’ve stuck with the Westeros map open, I want to see little clockwork castles for house Hightower, Westerling, Velaryon, and Cole.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

bobjr posted:

The last king married his sister, and his parents were siblings as well. It took some time before they really decided to diversify that gene pool

Aemma was even his first cousin, so, yeah.

There are occasional attempts to go outside the family, but down to the Daenerys we know, the tree is more of a wreath.

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

Pretty good so far!

Hopefully they will ditch everything related to The Wall and the white walkers, and just focus on the stuff in the rest of the kingdom.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I hope we get some wall stuff, just because the night watch is such a hosed up organization and I'd love to see how its doing rn. But no white walker stuff. Just some grubby men at the rear end end of nowhere freezing their balls off and grumbling.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fullroundaction posted:

Yeah they really did go out of their way to go “everyone feels bad about this”. They even dedicated multiple scenes of dialog to exactly that.

Does Corlys feel bad about it?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
They should have done a cool series of CG mosaics depicting the height of Valyria, the Doom and the conquest leading up to "present day". Super cool artwork to show the Targaryen dynasty history and preview what the coming war will look like.

The CG blood running down a weird model of maybe the city I don't know looks terrible and is not interesting at all visually or thematically. We are all aware that will be blood, that's why we're watching the show. Couple it with the exact same game of thrones theme and it was by far the most disappointing part of the show.

I mean at least use some different instruments or something. Maybe some big wardrums and dulcimers or some other cool poo poo.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But hey people loved the Daredevil opening credits

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Does Corlys feel bad about it?

He smiled for a moment while watching Laena and Viserys walk together, but that could just be him going "my daughter won't let me down" swiftly followed by "oh right I'm a monster".

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Still do not like any character on this show.

Opening credits are OK, I liked them.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mameluke posted:

But hey people loved the Daredevil opening credits

No they sucked too

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Jaxyon posted:

Still do not like any character on this show.

How can you speak like this about the crabomancer

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I just watched the first one and thought it was all right.

stray thoughts:
- way more gruesome with violence than i was expecting. maybe it's just been a while but i don't think GOT was even that full on showing off chopped dicks, body parts and the tournament stuff. or maybe it's just that it had all of that IMMEDIATELY. i wasn't really enjoying it
- the connection with the white walkers and beyond the wall - hopefully that is just a little hook for GOT fans who still give a poo poo about that, because it's a total wet fart since we know it's actually just one night of fighting that was relatively easy.
- the writing was decent but there was nothing that really stood out. same with the cast so far.
- kind of felt like i was watching a bunch of stuff i'd seen before in a lot of scenes, which is really the biggest problem. again, might just be a hook in and the story will take interesting turns but a lot of this felt very 'remember GOT? well here it is again with different people shuffled into different roles'. there's a lot of fantasy now and a lot of it has moved on from grimdark violence and betryals. it's gonna have to be really good to overcome that sense of repetition.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

No they sucked too

i really liked liked how they reminded the viewer "hey, watch Hannibal, the show that did blood-flowing-into-a-shape credits first"

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Who was the person at the end of the episode? With the mask?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Crabmaster

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

dragon house show "previously on...": They call him the crab feeder....

Me, hooting and hollering: we're gonna get to see crabs eat people

dragon show first scene: crabs eat people

5 stars

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Crab People

Crab People

Look like crabs

Talk like people

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

:yeeclaw: but with a leather face

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
hollywood loves it when a 48 year old man fucks a 22 year old woman but alicent and viserys are meant to be unsettling lmao hard when the "medieval values" hollywood portrays just are their own values

also lmao at how child alicent is 6 years younger than adult alicent can't give up too much of that youthful glow

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thank you HBO, from liberating me from the need to watch a 3 minute credits sequence every week.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I love the crabfeeder. Can't wait to see more of him. I think the crabs should win.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
I'm pretty sure Daemon is nice/respectful/merciful to Rhaenyra because he wants to gently caress her. I got the idea that Rhaenyra knows that and that's partially why she flew to Dragonstone.

I liked that Otto Hightower was willing to walk into a dragon fight with a knife if meant his daughter would have more time with the King. Bold move.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

maybe if they wrote some good lines the actors could do something other than blandly recite them at each other

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol at Daemon chucking that dragon egg at Rhaenyra like a long snapper in the nfl.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

The prophecy says a crab must never sit the Iron Throne.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

first you feed the crab so the crab get big. then you use the crab to conquer and eat more and get more big. then you use the dragon to grill the giant crab and give your newly conquered realm a epic crabfest

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mameluke posted:

"hey, watch Hannibal"

Well, can't argue with this, you've talked me into it.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The crabs should’ve been way bigger imo, like coconut crabs, the ones that ate Amelia Earhart

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

amelia aerhart is book only

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Starks posted:

The crabs should’ve been way bigger imo, like coconut crabs, the ones that ate Amelia Earhart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykWPyaqbebo

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Did it make sense that the King sent Otto to possibly have to fight Daemon and his forces which everybody knows include a dragon, with no dragon? Nobody brought up this question and Rhaenyra was the only one who thought about it? I mean it was a good scene I just kept thinking how did you expect this to work without a dragonrider? Otto was 100% about to either retreat in humilation or die. Maybe the point is that they are all incredibly bad at strategy.

I am more wary of it because this is the kind of thing that turned GOT bad.

Rhaenyra is my favourite character at the moment, but her competition is mainly a bunch of guys debating which child bride to is the best, so she wins by default. The show is interesting for now but some of these people are going to have to start developing enjoyable personality traits.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 30, 2022

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I didn't quite get that either. Otto only brought twenty or so men so I assumed he was going to just negotiate with Daemon but that conversation escalated into him almost fighting against an entire army plus a dragon. Not sure what the game plan there was.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

roomtone posted:

Did it make sense that the King sent Otto to possibly have to fight Daemon and his forces which everybody knows include a dragon, with no dragon? Nobody brought up this question and Rhaenyra was the only one who thought about it? I mean it was a good scene I just kept thinking how did you expect this to work without a dragonrider? Otto was 100% about to either retreat in humilation or die. Maybe the point is that they are all incredibly bad at strategy.

Rhaenyra is my favourite character at the moment, but her competition is mainly a bunch of guys debating which child bride to is the best, so she wins by default. The show is interesting for now but some of these people are going to have to start developing enjoyable personality traits.

The king knows Daemon isn't in open rebellion and likely just wants too see him. Otto just wanted to humiliate someone he hates or at worst have the king destroy daemon if Otto himself did not return.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

roomtone posted:

I get the impression that at this point in time, it's basically inconceivable to think targs would use dragons against each other. They're basically WMD's. Daemon is at odds with his brother but not openly at war, and popping that can of worms open would be disastrous for everyone. And Otto wasn't there to actually lay siege to Dragonstone, he just took enough men that Daemon wouldn't be able to hold him as a "guest" without basically going to war.

If I'm wrong and we're supposed to think Otto was going to besiege Dragonstone with Twenty Good Men... Welp.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I actually wondered if Otto might have been thinking,"Well poo poo, I can't let the King go and get taken hostage or killed" (which as Rhaenyra demonstrated was unlikely to happen given she forced Daemon's hand to either make a move against her or give up the egg and eat some poo poo and he chose the latter) and actually did what is his duty as the Hand even knowing it could go very, very wrong for him. Of course once he was there he made a pigcrab's breakfast of everything and things were about to get bloody until Rhaenyra showed up, but he might have thought he could talk Daemon around or at least hope the gold cloaks were only loyal to him to a point.

He's obviously manipulating the King fairly regularly but I don't get the feeling he hates him or anything, and seems quite content with having such a nice, malleable King on the throne who he can convince to do what HE wants instead... but he's also not ENTIRELY self-interested. He certainly doesn't strike me as being as bad as Littlefinger, at least not yet. He does a lot of slimy things, including sending his daughter to "seduce" the King, but sadly in that regard he's not that different to probably the majority of the noble houses in Westeros, as we saw with that poor 12-year-old, and he's not just happy to work within the rules of his society but actively wants to uphold them.